ADVERTISEMENT

So...maybe the lab leak theory is back

How many of those evolving viruses were part of work being done in a nearby lab where the original virus was being enhanced to better infect humans?
I don't know.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I don't know where it came from. Could it have been a lab leak? Yes. Could it have been from simple virus evolution or zoonotic spillover? Yes.

I go with what's most likely and where 99% of viruses have originated. What I don't get is that it seems like the lab leak theory folks don't consider it a possibility that it ISN'T a lab leak. They seem more set in their stance imo.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I don't know.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I don't know where it came from. Could it have been a lab leak? Yes. Could it have been from simple virus evolution or zoonotic spillover? Yes.

I go with what's most likely and where 99% of viruses have originated. What I don't get is that it seems like the lab leak theory folks don't consider it a possibility that it ISN'T a lab leak. They seem more set in their stance imo.

This also blows my mind

RIght in the tweet/paper, they are stating this as a "hypothesis"/theory.

Which they indicate "should be tested"; which means it has not been tested/evaluated.
For someone who likes to be an expert at everything you sure say some dumb shit.

Do you know the difference between a theory and a law in scientific regards?

I don't know.

The circumstantial evidence mixed with China’s actions after sure point to a lab situation. I don’t think intentionally leaked but simply an accident.

What I don’t understand is many in here’s absolutely reluctance to even open their mind to think it wasn’t a guy eating a bat.

‘I am not sure what is more ridiculous. People continuing to deny that this is lab leaked or the fact it is so political. Someone please explain why this is so political. who cares where this came from? It’s absurd.
The fact that you know it was a lab leak is also insane. It happened in China and we will never know the truth.

I've always thought, admittedly without any scientific background to draw on, that an accidental leak could certainly have been possible. I never really considered an intentional leak.

The weird thing to me was early on in the pandemic just how loudly anybody who brought up the possibility of a lab leak was shouted down. People who had the same amount of knowledge and experience with viruses as I do, which is absolutely none, were extremely adamant that they knew exactly what had happened because they had read a few tweets.
I think it's weird that people go for the scandalous, nefarious answer versus the the most likely, most scientifically supported one.

The circumstantial evidence mixed with China’s actions after sure point to a lab situation. I don’t think intentionally leaked but simply an accident.

What I don’t understand is many in here’s absolutely reluctance to even open their mind to think it wasn’t a guy eating a bat.
You do realize zoonotic spillover happens all the time and it may not be from a guy eating a bat. You seem to have that in your mind for some reason.

Reactions: Joes Place
I think it's weird that people go for the scandalous, nefarious answer versus the the most likely, most scientifically supported one.
Because the Right thinks everything is a conspiracy. Occasionally, those are right but rarely.

I don't know.

Again, 99% is inaccurate. 60-75% of viruses and infectious disease come from animals. A virus should not be labeled zoonotic until there is a species/host found. A source was never identified.

As far as your last sentence. Another complete fabrication. Look right here in this very thread if you don’t believe me. Calling it a conspiracy to believe a theory that it was accidentally leaked from a lab? Come on.

And fine, I will give it a small chance that Covid just came from a bat. I just believe it was more likely leaked, accidentally, from a lab testing this very strand right there in wuhan. That is not a conspiracy. It is a very legit theory and one I believe will continue to gain momentum, as it should. A conspiracy would be leaked intentionally.

Again, 99% is inaccurate. 60-75% of viruses and infectious disease come from animals. A virus should not be labeled zoonotic until there is a species/host found. A source was never identified.
I disagree with you completely here. 99% of viruses are not leaked from a lab. Would you agree?

What percentages of viruses do you think are leaked from labs? Do you realize viruses spread and evolved long before labs were a thing? I normally agree with you on many topics so very surprised on your stance here.

As far as your last sentence. Another complete fabrication. Look right here in this very thread if you don’t believe me. Calling it a conspiracy to believe a theory that it was accidentally leaked from a lab? Come on.
Almost all the lab leak theory people on here make it seem as if it's a guarantee (or close to it) that it was a lab leak. I agree that it's a possibility.

However, when 99% of viruses in human history have been non lab leaks, do you think it's the 1% or the 99% that is more likely? You are smarter than this man.

I believe the analysis performed by multiple groups who looked into the DNA sequences, and did not identify any "smoking gun" of an engineered virus.
But you cited Chinese data on where the outbreak originated.

Personally I don't believe a damned thing the Chinese provided about the virus in the early stages but to each his own.

Regardless of covid's origin, the way the Trump administration downplayed it, killing hundreds of thousands of American deaths, is still criminal.

Dr Fauci didn't purposely kill an American.

However, when 99% of viruses in human history have been non lab leaks, do you think it's the 1% or the 99% that is more likely? You are smarter than this man.
I'll preface this by saying I'm firmly in the "who knows" and that we'll probably never know one way or another camp on the origin.

Having said that, this take is really weak and pretty clearly has no bearing on what happened in this instance. Humans haven't had the capability, or inclination, to study/augment viruses until very recently in history.

It would be the equivalate of a climate change denier saying "99% of climate change has previously been natural so this one has to be as well".

Just a weak argument here.

But you cited Chinese data on where the outbreak originated.

Personally I don't believe a damned thing the Chinese provided about the virus in the early stages but to each his own.
Long before COVID emerged, scientists (not HORT posters) found lots of viruses in bat caves in China.

This was written in 2017:

And they warn that a deadly outbreak could emerge again: the cave where the elements of SARS were found is just 1 kilometre from the nearest village, and genetic mixing among the viral strains is fast. “The risk of spillover into people and emergence of a disease similar to SARS is possible,” the authors write in their paper.

No

I cited data from independent studies, which I've posted here many times for you.
So you're saying independent observers recorded the original outbreak that "centered around the wet market" and didn't rely on Chinese data?

I'm gonna call BS on that.

Because the Right thinks everything is a conspiracy. Occasionally, those are right but rarely.
I don't think it was a conspiracy. Why do you think the right thinks it's a conspiracy?

There's undisputable evidence that Ecohealth Alliance was funding research into enhancing the SARS virus to be more contagious to humans at the Wuhan lab. NIH has even publicly called Ecohealth Alliance out for false and tardy reporting on that very grant.

I don't think it was a conspiracy. Why do you think the right thinks it's a conspiracy?

There's undisputable evidence that Ecohealth Alliance was funding research into enhancing the SARS virus to be more contagious to humans at the Wuhan lab. NIH has even publicly called Ecohealth Alliance out for false and tardy reporting on that very grant.
Seriously? Oh wait, it's the left that thinks everything is a conspiracy and has QAanon.

We won’t get anything close to the truth until the GOP controls the committee’s….then it will get fun
Interesting that you equate the truth and fun. One of the biggest reasons the lab theory keeps popping up is because of the need to find an alternate reality to live in other than DJT responded miserably. Gotta say those inscrutable Chinese did it, and then every miserable misstep Trump made is moot.
I look forward to subcommittee chairwoman MTG providing you much fapping material. Nothing will help elect a Dem president in 2024 more than goofballs in Congress.

Interesting that you equate the truth and fun. One of the biggest reasons the lab theory keeps popping up is because of the need to find an alternate reality to live in other than DJT responded miserably. Gotta say those inscrutable Chinese did it, and then every miserable misstep Trump made is moot.
I look forward to subcommittee chairwoman MTG providing you much fapping material. Nothing will help elect a Dem president in 2024 more than goofballs in Congress.
More folks died under Biden…and he had a vaccine

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
I wonder if the lab vs wet market debate is split along political lines in other countries in a similar way that it is here?

I'm sure there were other countries whose leadership took a similar blame the Chinese approach to managing covid.
I doubt other countries have as many armchair contact tracers as we do.

This didn’t come from nature. The US government releasing it in Wuhan is far more likely than a meat market a mile a way from a lab that was playing with viruses. Use your damn heads people.

Ask yourselves why the media squashed this theory as a right-wing conspiracy almost immediately. It was never political in nature. Media spins everything into left or right wing while our country rots right in front of our eyes.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT