ADVERTISEMENT

So much for the “Nobody wants to take down Mount Rushmore” defense

I don’t like erasing our past. However, Mt. Rushmore is sort of like taking a shit in a house after you robbed it and killed everyone inside.

Funny you should say that. If we were to give the land back, who should we give it to? The Lakota Sioux? They violently took it from the Cheyenne in 1776. Then it got taken from the Sioux.

So, who should get it? And should we start taking down statues of Sioux heroes who killed helpless Native Americans for land?

I am surprised we haven't heard anything about Stone Mountain in Georgia.

Same sculptor I believe.

I lived there for a while. They did do a neat laser light show on the face of the mountain at night.

It is part of our story as a nation and a national treasure. Kick rocks commie

The Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles where Bobby Kennedy was killed is a part of our story. Go find it today. We still know all about Bobby Kennedy's life and death. It hasn't been "erased."

"Erasing our past" is an idiotic thing to say.

Would we not know about Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and TR without Mt. Rushmore?
Personally, I don’t want it gone. I think it’s great. But I can understand why Native Americans do. I wouldn’t oppose removing it, if sensitivity towards Natives was the reason.

Reactions: hawkifann
The Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles where Bobby Kennedy was killed is a part of our story. Go find it today. We still know all about Bobby Kennedy's life and death. It hasn't been "erased."

Under your logic anything or anyone that has a connection to something that was part of our history which you or a certain group doesn’t like should be removed.

Imagine if all people around the world had this attitude towards architectural wonders from the past? Imagine all the beautiful human achievements, all the buildings, and all the history that would be destroyed because of people like you.

Again, go kick rocks you commie scum

Personally, I don’t want it gone. I think it’s great. But I can understand why Native Americans do.

Same, but I'm not going with the "erasing history" angle because it's silly. I'm just going with "I personally like it so don't tear it down, but if you've got a good reason, I'll manage - there will still be pictures of it and books about the men on it, and I've been there once in 38 years so it's not like my day to day life depends on Mt. Rushmore's remaining there. Really who gives a shit?"

That's my stance on it.

Under your logic anything or anyone that has a connection to something that was part of our history which you or a certain group doesn’t like should be removed.

That's not my logic at all. You're bad at this.

Again, go kick rocks you commie scum

This is more your speed. It's important to play within yourself.

Reactions: Jackie Treehorn

This would almost be a valid point if these same dipshits didn’t want to take these things out of history books and prevent people from learning about it.

So, yeah...play your semantics game but you know as soon as someone went after an MLK statue for whatever stupid reason you’d be pissed (and rightly so) and anyone saying “You can still learn about MLK without streets named after him” would be called every name in the book by you.

Or are you saying you’re OK with bringing down his statue like you are with bringing down Washington and Lincoln?

Reactions: SDHN2013
Auction it off. Use the money to pay reparations. Whoever buys it can do what they want with it. Paint it, add mustaches, knock it down, make it a toxic waste dump. The way I see it, my solution solves multiple problems at the same time.

Reactions: Jackie Treehorn
Same, but I'm not going with the "erasing history" angle because it's silly. I'm just going with "I personally like it so don't tear it down, but if you've got a good reason, I'll manage - there will still be pictures of it and books about the men on it, and I've been there once in 38 years so it's not like my day to day life depends on Mt. Rushmore's remaining there. Really who gives a shit?"

That's my stance on it.

If no one really gives a shit, leave it be. It will take much more effort to remove it.

It what I’ve always said with the left. You give them an inch and they’ll take it a mile. First it was confederate leaders, which i am not saying need to be honored....keep them in a museum.

Myself and many others cited countless examples of what would be next. We were told we were full of it, it’s fear mongering, etc...

Now it’s Rushmore, Washington, T.Roosevelt, etc...

Once they get Rushmore they’ll call for George Bush Intercontinental to be renamed.

Auction it off. Use the money to pay reparations. Whoever buys it can do what they want with it. Paint it, add mustaches, knock it down, make it a toxic waste dump. The way I see it, my solution solves multiple problems at the same time.

Reparations? You can’t be serious.

This would almost be a valid point if these same dipshits didn’t want to take these things out of history books and prevent people from learning about it.

So, yeah...play your semantics game but you know as soon as someone went after an MLK statue for whatever stupid reason you’d be pissed (and rightly so) and anyone saying “You can still learn about MLK without streets named after him” would be called every name in the book by you.

Or are you saying you’re OK with bringing down his statue like you are with bringing down Washington and Lincoln?
Haha. Funny you mention the MLK statue. That thing looks like it was built for a water park attraction.

Personally, I don’t want it gone. I think it’s great. But I can understand why Native Americans do. I wouldn’t oppose removing it, if sensitivity towards Natives was the reason.

Again, the Sioux took it from the Cheyenne. Who should get it? “Native Americans” is too vague and now considered racist because they’re not all the same.

The Sioux killed a lot of women and children to get that land. Do they deserve it more than the Cheyenne? Man, I bet they’d be pissed if it was given to the Cheyenne.

It wasn't clever the fist time you said it.

Again, the Sioux took it from the Cheyenne. Who should get it? “Native Americans” is too vague and now considered racist because they’re not all the same.

The Sioux killed a lot of women and children to get that land. Do they deserve it more than the Cheyenne? Man, I bet they’d be pissed if it was given to the Cheyenne.
We exterminated anyone there. It’s ugly, but it’s true. You can argue tribe vs. tribe all day. Our ancestors were pricks. Accept and move on. I’m a conservative, don’t bring politics into it.

We exterminated anyone there. It’s ugly, but it’s true. You can argue tribe vs. tribe all day. Our ancestors were pricks. Accept and move on. I’m a conservative, don’t bring politics into it.

Nice dodge. Which tribe gets to decide what happens to Mt. Rushmore?

Nice dodge. Which tribe gets to decide what happens to Mt. Rushmore?
I really don’t care. The amount of pain that causes my life is about as much as Trump actually causes the posse roaming HROT.

I agree our ancestors were assholes, but what makes the Lakota tribe so near and dear to your heart? There would be a lot of tearing down of cities that were once inhabited by Native Americans that we displaced or exterminated.

I'd be fine with removing Mt. Rushmore under the condition that we give those who feel that strongly about it a hammer and chisel and tell them to have at it.

Reactions: goldmom

I don’t deny it and I do accept it. Horrible things were done by those who helped the country “progress”. But I also like honesty. We aren’t giving back to people who owned it. We’re giving back to the descendants of the people who took it from other people. Why deny that? Might as well put everything out there.

It wasn't clever the fist time you said it.

And this is the third time you’ve deflected from it. You obviously can’t deal with it. Your logic puts you on the side with taking down MLK statues. Of course you’re already admitting it’s ok to take down Lincoln and Washington so MLK isn’t a far leap.

Most of the country was stolen land. So the whole thing is problematic.

But to feel better about it we could go dig up the moral failings of the tribes we displaced.

Reactions: timinatoria
Yeah...this is the NYT. Therefore ciggy and everyone like him must now support it by the laws of Max Boot.
You need to be more concerned about why Trump got angry at his administration for briefing him on anything Russia did negative towards the United States.

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT