ADVERTISEMENT

So much for the “Nobody wants to take down Mount Rushmore” defense

I agree our ancestors were assholes, but what makes the Lakota tribe so near and dear to your heart? There would be a lot of tearing down of cities that were once inhabited by Native Americans that we displaced or exterminated.

I'd be fine with removing Mt. Rushmore under the condition that we give those who feel that strongly about it a hammer and chisel and tell them to have at it.
Probably because they’re not burning down an AutoZone. I listen to people who have rational actions. I’m almost 100% Irish. If there were them: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ir...-of-confederate-statues-send-in-the-irish.amp

Tell me, how did we feel when the Taliban destroyed the Afghanistan sculptures?

Reparations? You can’t be serious.

You apparently didn’t realize that the US government illegally took that land where Mt. Rushmore stands nearly 150 years ago. The Lakota refused a monetary award and continue to this day on insisting they want their land back. Give it to them then the NA can just charge admission to the white devils. I could care less about Rushmore. To me it’s equivalent to graffiti art. Five minutes there and I’m ready to move on to something more interesting.

And this is the third time you’ve deflected from it. You obviously can’t deal with it. Your logic puts you on the side with taking down MLK statues. Of course you’re already admitting it’s ok to take down Lincoln and Washington so MLK isn’t a far leap.

I’m not “deflecting.” It’s just too stupid to dignify.

Don’t use “logic” in sentences anymore. You don’t grasp it. Not when you use absurd slippery slope fallacies like “you must want to tear down MLK statues.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Rudolph
Anyone that is for this are a bunch of idiots.
46zfws.jpg

You apparently didn’t realize that the US government illegally took that land where Mt. Rushmore stands nearly 150 years ago. The Lakota refused a monetary award and continue to this day on insisting they want their land back. Give it to them then the NA can just charge admission to the white devils. I could care less about Rushmore. To me it’s equivalent to graffiti art. Five minutes there and I’m ready to move on to something more interesting.

We are all living on land taken from the natives.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I’m not “deflecting.” It’s just too stupid to dignify.

Don’t use “logic” in sentences anymore. You don’t grasp it. Not when you use absurd slippery slope fallacies like “you must want to tear down MLK statues.”

Dude...you’re defending the desires of idiots who want to tear down the memory of the man who freed the slaves. Quit acting like MLK would be a leap for you to defend. But that’s the point. No way in hell you would use your same LOGIC for that. You’d argue 100% in the other direction. Making your “You can still learn about Lincoln” argument sooooo goddamned stupid.

How bad should we feel if the Lakota were known to steal land from other tribes?

That they really weren't ethically superior.

Lazy historian takeaway from Wikipedia:

The large and powerful Arikara, Mandan, and Hidatsa villages had long prevented the Lakota from crossing the Missouri. However, the great smallpox epidemic of 1772–1780 destroyed three-quarters of these tribes. The Lakota crossed the river into the drier, short-grass prairies of the High Plains. These newcomers were the Saône, well-mounted and increasingly confident, who spread out quickly. In 1765, a Saône exploring and raiding party led by Chief Standing Bear discovered the Black Hills (the Paha Sapa), then the territory of the Cheyenne. Ten years later, the Oglála and Brulé also crossed the river. In 1776, the Lakota defeated the Cheyenne, who had earlier taken the region from the Kiowa.[citation needed] The Cheyenne then moved west to the Powder River country,[11] and the Lakota made the Black Hills their home.

So, poor ethics by all. For much of humanity I imagined we existed in a near state of nature where you "took the land if you could"

You see this with primates today. That's where we came from.

Where battles for resources were common. We didn't live under the same ethical paradigm we live under now. The framework wasn't well built or widely disseminated. (and the interesting question here is this: did the world existing as it did during that period validate and necessitate such behavior? What undergirded the rise of the ethical framework we operate under now -- was it just a philosophical consideration?)

So … were early American settlers really much worse than some of these tribes ethically? Or were they just much more successful?

Last edited:
It's a national treasure.

The Roman Colosseum and the London Tower had histories of human suffering and abuse, but they remain for history.

Mt. Rushmore has no such baggage, but it is a remarkable structure to serve as a marker for this still young nation.

It's a national treasure.

The Roman Colosseum and the London Tower had histories of human suffering and abuse, but they remain for history.

Mt. Rushmore has no such baggage, but it is a remarkable structure to serve as a marker for this still young nation.

Good point.

The Egyptians should tear down every pyramid built by slaves right?

The Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles where Bobby Kennedy was killed is a part of our story. Go find it today. We still know all about Bobby Kennedy's life and death. It hasn't been "erased."

"Erasing our past" is an idiotic thing to say.
Did the Ambassador Hotel get built as a monument to a dead Kennedy? Damn.

Personally, I don’t want it gone. I think it’s great. But I can understand why Native Americans do. I wouldn’t oppose removing it, if sensitivity towards Natives was the reason.

The only thing I want to see with all of these statues and monuments is that I want it to be part of a debate/discussion and if removal is decided, I want it decided by the right group of people. If it's a local statue and the locality wants to pull it, awesome. If it's something like Mt. Rushmore and we decide as a collective whole? Fine.

The thing I don't want to see are the groups going out and pulling things down on their own. We've already seen one guy absolutely destroyed by a statue. Let's take them down safely and maybe even put into storage. The pendulum swings. Sometimes it swings too far and we might decide later to put some statues back.

Reactions: HotelAlphaWilcoKilo
The only thing I want to see with all of these statues and monuments is that I want it to be part of a debate/discussion and if removal is decided, I want it decided by the right group of people. If it's a local statue and the locality wants to pull it, awesome. If it's something like Mt. Rushmore and we decide as a collective whole? Fine.

The thing I don't want to see are the groups going out and pulling things down on their own. We've already seen one guy absolutely destroyed by a statue. Let's take them down safely and maybe even put into storage. The pendulum swings. Sometimes it swings too far and we might decide later to put some statues back.
The problem is the people who want to deconstruct the U.S. won't stop until all history is erased. They believe they are the most pure and righteous to ever walk the earth. Eventually they will be coming for MLK.
mlk1.JPG

Reactions: unIowa
Do these folks really think they are going to topple the current system? If not they need to figure out a way to get past it, no way in hell should that monument come down.
shhh............you'll be sent to the gulag for wrongthink!!!!

Do these folks really think they are going to topple the current system? If not they need to figure out a way to get past it, no way in hell should that monument come down.

I was just speaking to your question. Do they enjoy seeing it? No. Would they rather see it be gone? Sure.

Now I'm sure that doesn't characterize all their opinions. But I wouldn't call it an unreasonable opinion.

Some of this stuff.... there is no making up for. It's forever an open wound. Something that can always be mined.

All that said, no, I don't think tearing down the monuments is a concession America has to make. And lots of these concessions don't fix anything much. The wound remains.

About the best you can do is to create a new future in which we all participate and enjoy as close to equally as possible.

About the best you can do is to help create a world that Native Americans might thrive in today.

And yes, I suppose, in a way, that's just pulling focus off the past. That's an interesting question, what to do with that sort of past. The best I can come up with is a better future.

I think you want the past to die.

The problem is the people who want to deconstruct the U.S. won't stop until all history is erased. They believe they are the most pure and righteous to ever walk the earth. Eventually they will be coming for MLK.
mlk1.JPG

I guess I'd just say.....so? Just because people say they want it gone doesn't mean it will go away. Just because we knee jerk in the moment doesn't mean we can't restore something back again if we take it back in an orderly way.

I hate the argument that we're "erasing" history. The Germans made the Nazi party and the last name Hitler illegal and outside of museums, have wiped Nazi symbolism, statues and relics from the face of the earth. All of this happened before I was born in 1974, yet here I am with a firm understanding of who the Nazis were, how they came to power and how they used their power.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I was just speaking to your question. Do they enjoy seeing it? No. Would they rather see it be gone? Sure.

Now I'm sure that doesn't characterize all their opinions. But I wouldn't call it an unreasonable opinion.

Some of this stuff.... there is no making up for. It's forever an open wound. Something that can always be mined.

All that said, no, I don't think tearing down the monuments is a concession America has to make. And lots of these concessions don't fix anything much. The wound remains.

About the best you can do is to create a new future in which we all participate and enjoy as close to equally as possible.

About the best you can do is to help create a world that Native Americans might thrive in today.

And yes, I suppose, in a way, that's just pulling focus off the past. That's an interesting question, what to do with that sort of past. The best I can come up with is a better future.

I think you want the past to die.

Can't change the past but one can learn from it and then move forward.

I guess I'd just say.....so? Just because people say they want it gone doesn't mean it will go away. Just because we knee jerk in the moment doesn't mean we can't restore something back again if we take it back in an orderly way.

I hate the argument that we're "erasing" history. The Germans made the Nazi party and the last name Hitler illegal and outside of museums, have wiped Nazi symbolism, statues and relics from the face of the earth. All of this happened before I was born in 1974, yet here I am with a firm understanding of who the Nazis were, how they came to power and how they used their power.

You weren't carrying textbooks in your backpack when you were in school, you were dragging around 5 ton hunks of granite with Hitler's likeness. That's the only way we can know about history. Otherwise, it's been erased.

Reactions: hawkifann
You weren't carrying textbooks in your backpack when you were in school, you were dragging around 5 ton hunks of granite with Hitler's likeness. That's the only way we can know about history. Otherwise, it's been erased.

Excellent.

Everything I learned about history came from 12x12 plaques on statues.

That's why Auschwitz is still standing today. Sometimes people need physical buildings, statues and monuments to be reminded of evil and greatness.

Reactions: ft254
That's why Auschwitz is still standing today. Sometimes people need physical buildings, statues and monuments to be reminded of evil and greatness.

What if the jews wanted to take it down?

(now they wouldn't, because they're a rather intellectual lot, nevertheless...)

What if the jews wanted to take it down?

(now they wouldn't, because they're a rather intellectual lot, nevertheless...)
You tell them no. No is a complete sentence people should use it more often.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT