ADVERTISEMENT

So my local county school board has decided to start charging all volunteers

SeaPA

HR Heisman
Dec 17, 2002
a fee of $41.25 to have done a "level 2" background check (detailed background check with fingerprinting that has to be renewed every 5 years but that provides updated monitoring based on name/address in the time between performing the full check. In the past, they've done this level only for volunteers who would reasonably be expected to at times be alone with a student, and they've done a free background check (less detailed, in-state only, no fingerprinting) on those that would not likely be alone with a kid.

On one hand, I understand the reasoning behind doing the extensive background checks, both to protect kids and to lessen exposure to lawsuits if/when something happens. But damn, it's a bad look to charge someone who wants to volunteer at their kid's school.

Reactions: Finance85
Probably Kim Reynold's fault somehow.

But I agree.....it's a bad look.

Nah, they should be making it as easy and welcoming as possible for parents and the community to give up their free time and come and help out the school and the students. Presenting them with an invoice for their trouble isn't likely to get people to want to help.

Probably Kim Reynold's fault somehow.

But I agree.....it's a bad look.

I'm in Florida.

Reading some of the comments on the website of the Tampa Bay Times, apparently some counties have been doing this for a few years. I'd guess that in the affluent areas & for the "technically public but in reality private" schools (i.e. a couple of charter schools in the county) the new rule won't make much difference; the parents who volunteer at those schools will pony up the fifty bucks. But the schools that are in low-income areas - who already have a very difficult time getting volunteers - it will make it even more difficult to get parents involved.

I'm in Florida.

Reading some of the comments on the website of the Tampa Bay Times, apparently some counties have been doing this for a few years. I'd guess that in the affluent areas & for the "technically public but in reality private" schools (i.e. a couple of charter schools in the county) the new rule won't make much difference; the parents who volunteer at those schools will pony up the fifty bucks. But the schools that are in low-income areas - who already have a very difficult time getting volunteers - it will make it even more difficult to get parents involved.
I know you are in Florida. It was a jab at one of our Reynolds hating posters.

Reactions: goldmom
My father was a certified high school boys basketball referee
in the state of Iowa. He also volunteered to referee some of
the boys basketball games at Trinity Lutheran Elementary
School in Davenport. He would gladly have paid the fee for
the background check. My father always wanted what was
best for the school students.

My father was a certified high school boys basketball referee
in the state of Iowa. He also volunteered to referee some of
the boys basketball games at Trinity Lutheran Elementary
School in Davenport. He would gladly have paid the fee for
the background check. My father always wanted what was
best for the school students.
My dad did too Lute…..that’s why he sent me to public schools!

I'm in Florida.

When my son started school at Carrollwood Elementary (mid 80’s) I volunteered and they were happy to see me.
We moved to Madison and they didn’t have volunteers.
Moved to Dallas and there was a waiting list to be a Room mom.
Michigan I volunteered in the school clinic.
Back to Dallas and I was a Room Mom. Library volunteer and a substitute teacher. Transitioned to full time teaching.
In their high school I was head of Baseball parents and ran the concession stand and had the keys to the field and the lights.
Never had a single unsuitable parent or helper in the four states.
I’m very sad that times have changed so much but the kids have to be protected.

Reactions: LuteHawk and 83Hawk
Every person who volunteers for an EMS agency in Iowa had to pay an $80 fee for a background check and certification fee. Some agencies choose to pay it for staff. I suppose no difference in this.

I’d like to see how much $ that school wasted and/or spent frivolously over the past few years that they considered more important than covering the costs of background checks for its parent volunteers…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT