ADVERTISEMENT

So my VHS tape doesn't lie

SuperSK

HR MVP
Oct 29, 2001
Replayed the game on my VHS tape player many times. No screen passes , two step drops, passes to backs, or deep throws . Are we in the MATRIX ? This has all the markings of a Bob Commings offense. Our offense is an offense. 😎❤️🏈

I’d like to see what Petras could do with a classic 5 or 7 step drop. True back steps, Not shuffle steps. He folds too often under pressure and misses throws when he’s rushed or off balance. I wonder what he’d do with planted feet, space and some time. I realize that style isn’t nearly as common anymore, but what do we have to lose?

Speaking of losing the format war, did anyone get a HD-DVD player instead of a blu ray?

I’d like to see what Petras could do with a classic 5 or 7 step drop. True back steps, Not shuffle steps. He folds too often under pressure and misses throws when he’s rushed or off balance. I wonder what he’d do with planted feet, space and some time. I realize that style isn’t nearly as common anymore, but what do we have to lose?
longer sacks when he folds?

Reactions: littlez
The line can barely hold up for a 5 step drop

The line can barely hold up for a 5 step drop

The beauty of classic drop steps is that the QB is making reads as he’s stepping back. This is an advantage over the shotgun, where no reads are being made until the ball is caught. It’s not a huge difference in time, but it would probably help Iowa.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkeye_power
Impressive,.. OP has the guts to admit he still uses VHS.
Thanks. Moved three times in the last 10 years and the tape player went with me. Too many great FB and BB games were taped and they're several big ones like Michigan Iowa and UNLV vs. Iowa in BB.......Raferty "Kevin Gamble hits a major deep shot " I'm older than dirt and like Paul Boetcher we loved watching VHS. 😎❤️🏈

Petras can’t complete a screen pass.

Petras did choke on what would have been a big play vs SDSU on a screen. It was pretty well executed except SDSU go there a little early and our 6'5 QB who is supposed to be able to throw over top defenders when he has them in his face, airmailed the screen pass.

I remember many years ago KF got asked why he Iowa never throws many screen passes and he said something
to the effect they are too hard to practice to get the timing right so he didn't seem to think they were important to incorporate in Iowa offense. Given pass blocking and protection has been chronic problem, investing the time at practice to get screens to RBs correct would make sense.

The beauty of classic drop steps is that the QB is making reads as he’s stepping back. This is an advantage over the shotgun, where no reads are being made until the ball is caught. It’s not a huge difference in time, but it would probably help Iowa.
Ya but Petras doesn't make reads. It would just give him longer to stare at the designated receiver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT