ADVERTISEMENT

So Now Small Family Gatherings Causing Covid Surge?

It’s a great idea to simply avoid crowds and gathering as much as one might hate it or fight it. The 10 minute visit to wal mart or the grocery store or menards even without a mask is a lot safer than a close setting with many people for a prolonged period of time.

I heard from a nurse today whose daughter tested positive and now everyone in the house has to quarantine for 10 days after the daughter tested positive PLUS an additional 14 days (assuming no one gets symptoms... if that happens, restart the clock).

This single mother is going to miss nearly a month of work. She has bills to pay and food to put on the table.

Heartbreaking.

I heard from a nurse today whose daughter tested positive and now everyone in the house has to quarantine for 10 days after the daughter tested positive PLUS an additional 14 days (assuming no one gets symptoms... if that happens, restart the clock).

This single mother is going to miss nearly a month of work. She has bills to pay and food to put on the table.

Heartbreaking.
You being in HR might be aware of some of the rules around CAREs act pay for employers to pay employees who are all but required to quarantine / isolate.

I just originated a loan for a customer who had some weird coded pay on his paystub and his employer had to write a letter explaining it was pay for the guy to quarantine due to covid contact tracing.

You being in HR might be aware of some of the rules around CAREs act pay for employers to pay employees who are all but required to quarantine / isolate.

I just originated a loan for a customer who had some weird coded pay on his paystub and his employer had to write a letter explaining it was pay for the guy to quarantine due to covid contact tracing.

It's the FFCRA that requires pay for this sort of thing and it only applies to companies with fewer than 500 employees. She might be able to get some money from the CARES act, but that isn't funneled through the employer.

I'm having holiday celebrations
I am not one to judge or say it’s wrong to gather with family over the holidays. However, if one doesn’t feel 100% , they should say so and forgo the gathering.

I still have yet to meet someone who had covid who didn’t have symptoms... as much as I’ve heard in the news about asymptotic people, I’ve never met someone who said they had it and never had any symptoms. I’m not completely sold that if one has covid they won’t have any symptoms whatsoever. So that leads me to think the initial onset, people don’t truly consider they’ve caught the virus—but rather maybe just feel run down, tired, maybe a throat tickle or a small cough ... they don’t take their initial minor symptoms seriously and go about their lives for a few days and spread it around until their symptoms worsen so they finally stay home, get tested, etc.

Reactions: millah_22
I am not one to judge or say it’s wrong to gather with family over the holidays. However, if one doesn’t feel 100% , they should say so and forgo the gathering.

I still have yet to meet someone who had covid who didn’t have symptoms... as much as I’ve heard in the news about asymptotic people, I’ve never met someone who said they had it and never had any symptoms. I’m not completely sold that if one has covid they won’t have any symptoms whatsoever. So that leads me to think the initial onset, people don’t truly consider they’ve caught the virus—but rather maybe just feel run down, tired, maybe a throat tickle or a small cough ... they don’t take their initial minor symptoms seriously and go about their lives for a few days and spread it around until their symptoms worsen so they finally stay home, get tested, etc.

Believe me. We're tracking weekly COVID testing among a population of nearly 6,000 employees. Around 40 percent of employees who test positive report no symptoms at all. This has been consistent throughout the pandemic.

My mom and my in laws are not participating in holiday gatherings this year. My brother in law still wants to host Thanksgiving but we’re planning on just the kids and my son’s in laws. Daughter-in-law and son are hosting Christmas. Their house is being remodeled and should be done by then.

Believe me. We're tracking weekly COVID testing among a population of nearly 6,000 employees. Around 40 percent of employees who test positive report no symptoms at all. This has been consistent throughout the pandemic.
I have heard and read the same stuff ... but common sense is the body naturally fights a foreign virus into the body to some degree. Maybe the symptoms are so minor there is nothing to report, symptoms are such an extreme minor irritation that it could be likened to what a human would feel even without any true sickness. Everyone can feel a little run down for hundreds of different reasons not covid related. That’s why I think people should by hyper aware of their body signals.

It's the FFCRA that requires pay for this sort of thing and it only applies to companies with fewer than 500 employees. She might be able to get some money from the CARES act, but that isn't funneled through the employer.
My company has decided to pay for 2 weeks even though they aren't required. We're getting hammered right now. We still have idiots ignoring the mask requirements and it's not being enforced.

I have heard and read the same stuff ... but common sense is the body naturally fights a foreign virus into the body to some degree. Maybe the symptoms are so minor there is nothing to report, symptoms are such an extreme minor irritation that it could be likened to what a human would feel even without any true sickness. Everyone can feel a little run down for hundreds of different reasons not covid related. That’s why I think people should by hyper aware of their body signals.

Being "hyper aware" is what put the nurse I spoke of out of work. Had she not had her daughter tested, she would not be quarantined right now.

My company has decided to pay for 2 weeks even though they aren't required. We're getting hammered right now. We still have idiots ignoring the mask requirements and it's not being enforced.

We pay if employees are excluded due to their own positive COVID test or symptoms.

We don't pay if a family member tests positive causing the whole family to be quarantined by government authorities regardless of their own testing status/symptoms. We're not the ones who put them out of work. The government should replace their lost wages.

There should be an exception to these blanket rules for essential healthcare workers who are testing once or twice every week already.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMNSHO and Gimmered

Heartbreaking.

No paid sick leave from the employer? Or government FFCRA?

We pay if employees are excluded due to their own positive COVID test or symptoms.

We don't pay if a family member tests positive causing the whole family to be quarantined by government authorities regardless of their own testing status/symptoms. We're not the ones who put them out of work. The government should replace their lost wages.

There should be an exception to these blanket rules for essential healthcare workers who are testing once or twice every week.
The only possible contact I have would be with my wife and daughter. Either one could become positive through work or school. Obviously any of us could be even with mask, but I won't get isolated because of work.
Some days it really seems like we're trying to reward people for bad behavior.

Heartbreaking.
If only for this reason, this country needs a BETTER safety net.

Vote Joe Biden on November 3rd.

giphy.gif

She isn't sick. And we're not subject to the FFCRA.

The saddest part of this particular situation is that your company can't find it reasonable to take care of its employees when we are 7 months into this thing. Profit before people.

She isn't sick. And we're not subject to the FFCRA.
I have done some self education in the last couple days. I don’t think people understand how disruptive this is becoming. There are 114,000 healthcare workers and first responders in Iowa that are not subject to the FFCRA. Something like 53% of all workers in the state of Iowa are not covered by the FFCRA. With trillions of dollars spent, it should have been a no-brainer to mitigate the financial disincentive to prevent COVID from spreading in healthcare settings.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler

There should be an exception to these blanket rules for essential healthcare workers who are testing once or twice every week already.
There is an exception for essential healthcare workers Trad if staff shortages become critical. Not sure what Florida has for plans in that regards.

Yes, if "scientists" tell him to.

actually he said he can recommend a National mask mandate but he would encourage the governors to do it at their level so they can enforce it. He says things that make sense can stay open if people simply follow the guidelines. Yes he will actually listen to doctors and scientists (duh they know more than politicians or average citizens).

I wish these people would make up their minds. This is a war on our holidays and family gatherings it seems. I'll be going to my friendsgiving and family Thanksgiving.

What part of what he is saying is false or you think is a change from following what is the best information at the time? That friendsgiving you are planning on is exactly the kind of event that will drive spread of the virus. It sucks, but it's true.

I think that’s been the big driver all along. Masks help to keep it from spreading even faster but the primary cause is in home gatherings.

Exactly.

Wear a mask for the 18 second gas station interaction and stop at a friends house for a couple beers on the way home.

Holding Thanksgiving and Christmas family get-togethers as usual.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT