ADVERTISEMENT

So now we know for sure.

I hear what you are saying but it's college basketball in the transfer portal era...you can only expect so much stability these days. There has been concern about guard play and depth within this program for quite awhile and that hasn't really been addressed this offseason. I'm optimistic about the young guys but if they are so promising they should have played a lot more. Improving the team any way possible should be the top priority, not making sure nobody gets their feelings hurt. You don't know that anyone who has barely played will be very good 2 years from now .....at least some of these transfers have a body of work so you have a better idea of what you are getting. I doubt Juwan Howard is worried about recruiting over guys, if you're afraid of competition you might as well leave the program. Get the best players available
Iowa isn’t Michigan. Howard can get away with recruiting over his players because he knows he’ll have more 4-5* players knocking at the door wanting in the following year. Iowa isn’t in that situation, Fran has been first in on a TON of the highest level recruits and once they blow up, off they go to a blue blood. I think our best chance at somewhat sustained success is retaining the players we bring in and being loyal to them and being an experienced team, because we aren’t exactly a prize destination for a lot of kids.
and which players have barely played? JoeT started 2 yrs ago and played a pretty good amount last yr, jbo is in his 6th yr, pmac played about 15mpg and was really starting to impress towards the end of the season, keegan no explanation needed, and rebraca is a proven player w/ 3 yrs under his belt. Perkins showed he can be a high level defender with very good athleticism.
we’re sitting in a very good spot after losing NPOY, weezy, cj, and nunge.

LOL

Incorrect, again!

How stupid are you? Are you ever correct about anything?

See, I can throw out the insults just as good as you!

Again, due to covid-19, 2020-2021 was considered a "free year" by the NCAA, so seniors Luka Garza and Jordan Bohannon could have come back for the 2021-2022 season. Bohannon decided to do so. IN ADDITION, anyone who was a freshman, sophomore, or junior last season, who would have been scheduled to graduate between 2022 and 2024, they could potentially play/graduate a year later than CURRENTLY expected.

So, Josh O, as an example, could tale advantage of that free covid year and graduate in 2025 instead of 2024, if he chose to do so.

And Filip Rebraca has used up 3 years of his eligibility. He could play 2 more years at Iowa (the normal 1 year of eligibility remaining PLUS the FREE covid year that applies in 2022-2023).

So, again, the free covid year applies in 2022-2023 in Filip's case, so it's abundantly clear you are wrong when you stated that the free covid year applies only to next season (2021-2022).

Try reading my post again and see if you understand it. At no point do I say the only year the free year applies is next season. At this point, next season is the only year where you can go over 13 scholarships in basketball.

Any senior from this past season choosing to take the extra year due to Covid does not count against the total for the scholly limit. This only applies to next season unless the NCAA readdresses it.

How much of an asshole are you? You could just disagree, tell the guy he's got it wrong and explain why.
When he responds to my post with a douchey "Incorrect" and acts like he knows what he's talking about that is the type of response he should have been expecting.

Well, Triangle. you are incorrect. And apparently thin skinned.

And it is you who is acting like you know what you are talking about.

And Drummer nailed it by calling you an asshole; he probably was too kind.

Well, Triangle. you are incorrect. And apparently thin skinned.

And it is you who is acting like you know what you are talking about.

And Drummer nailed it by calling you an asshole; he probably was too kind.

But I'm not incorrect.

You are making yourself look more stupid than normal at this point.

Try reading my post again and see if you understand it. At no point do I say the only year the free year applies is next season. At this point, next season is the only year where you can go over 13 scholarships in basketball.

I am done with you. Now you are simply being dishonest with the crap you just typed.

But I'm not incorrect.

You are making yourself look more stupid than normal at this point.

You are incorrect.

And you are a liar, as I showed in my previous post.

And, as one poster wrote above, you are an asshole.

You are making yourself look more and more stupid than normal at this point.

This is accurate. Ash is the 13th scholarship on a team that is allowed 14 this year. Sure, there are some really good players left in the transfer portal, but at what cost? Do you bring in someone for the immediate reward, but potentially alienate some already on the team? If a really good player is willing to come to Iowa and the players are all good with him, then fine, bring him aboard. But, in all honesty, I'm at a point where I'd just like to see what the current group can do.
The whiniest guys in the whole state are on this board. With their expertise I am sure they are all millionaires

I have no problem with making the roster better, even if that means recruiting over somebody.

But I think a lot of fans have unrealistic views about what is really available in the portal.

Yes, there are about 1,500 guys who have entered their names.
Of that number, you can eliminate a large number of players who have already picked a new school or announced they are not transferring.
Of the number that is left, you can eliminate a huge chunk of guys who are not any better than the players we already have -- guys who wouldn't make the roster better.
Of the number that is left, you can eliminate another chunk of guys who would be toxic to the team ... bad attitudes, citizenship issues, academic problems, etc.
Of the number that is left, you can eliminate another bunch of guys who just won't have an interest in Iowa. Maybe it's because they are headed to a blueblood. Maybe it's because of geography ... they want to play in a certain part of the country for whatever reason. Maybe it's because we are too late getting our foot in the door.

After all that, the number of potential transfers that we could be talking about is very, very small. In fact, at most positions, I suspect the number is probably 0.

If I am wrong, great! As others have pointed out, we still have the roster flexibility to make a scholarship available. But generally, given that we no longer have any glaring holes in the roster, and given what I believe to be a low number of impact players realistically available, I think going after high school kids in the Class of 22 and beyond is a much better use of our coaches' time and energy.

Either way, I think getting kerfuffled about a long-term walkon being rewarded with a one-year scholarship is a bit misguided.

Fran has traditionally given scholarships to walkons late in their career (as a reward) many times. Darius Stokes, Kyle Denning, and Riley Till are just a few examples. I don’t know why so many fans are in such a tizzy about this. It’s not like Ash has been named to the starting lineup.
Because this team next year needs ALOT of help...not a practice squad player

Because this team next year needs ALOT of help...not a practice squad player

a5758490798016b076c406a550ba5cbd.gif

Reactions: AlvySinger
Iowa isn’t Michigan. Howard can get away with recruiting over his players because he knows he’ll have more 4-5* players knocking at the door wanting in the following year. Iowa isn’t in that situation, Fran has been first in on a TON of the highest level recruits and once they blow up, off they go to a blue blood. I think our best chance at somewhat sustained success is retaining the players we bring in and being loyal to them and being an experienced team, because we aren’t exactly a prize destination for a lot of kids.
and which players have barely played? JoeT started 2 yrs ago and played a pretty good amount last yr, jbo is in his 6th yr, pmac played about 15mpg and was really starting to impress towards the end of the season, keegan no explanation needed, and rebraca is a proven player w/ 3 yrs under his belt. Perkins showed he can be a high level defender with very good athleticism.
we’re sitting in a very good spot after losing NPOY, weezy, cj, and nunge.
Michigan wasn't shit when Fran took over, they had 1 ncaa tourney between 1998 and 2011. Iowa isn't them because they had a coach who could recognize his weakness so they hired a defensive guru and moved the program forward with final 4's while Fran was doing what he's comfortable with and being a .500 bten coach who has accomplished very little that matters. Again, I do like the young guys but we lost so much production with Garza, Nunge, CJ, Weezy there was room to add more scoring and athletic potential at guard and still have playing time. The problem is Fran needs to save minutes for his son who doesn't really have a position and shouldn't be starting.

We watched ISU take the next step with transfers not too long ago and it's proving to be a skill today's coaches need to be elite. If being a bubble team is fine with everyone then Fran's approach is perfect. If he wants to improve to a program that is regularly in contention for the bten he needs to get the best players he can and the portal is the perfect opportunity. If this roster struggles then the criticism is warranted. If they make the sweet 16 i'll happily eat crow

Last edited:
Michigan wasn't shit when Fran took over, Iowa isn't them because they were hiring a defensive guru and moving the program forward with final 4's while Fran was doing what he's comfortable with and being a .500 bten coach while accomplishing very little that matters. Again, I do like the young guys but we lost so much production with Garza, Nunge, CJ, Weezy there was room to add more talent at guard and still have playing time. The problem is Fran needs to save minutes for his son who doesn't really have a position and shouldn't be starting. We watched ISU take the next step with transfers not too long ago and it's proving to be a skill today's coaches need to be elite. If being a bubble team is fine with everyone then Fran's approach is perfect. If he wants to move into a program that is regularly in contention for the bten he needs to get the best players he can and the portal is the perfect opportunity. If this roster struggles then the criticism is warranted. If they make the sweet 16 i'll happily eat crow
Michigan made the Round of 32 in Fran’s first season, were co-Big Ten champs his second, and played in the national title game in his third

Lumas Etima said:
Fran has traditionally given scholarships to walkons late in their career (as a reward) many times. Darius Stokes, Kyle Denning, and Riley Till are just a few examples. I don’t know why so many fans are in such a tizzy about this. It’s not like Ash has been named to the starting lineup.

True statement, but Ash had his bags packed and was already in the portal (or at least had intentions). Maybe there is more to the story, but I think that is why some people are scratching their heads. I am sure he is a nice kid and all, but does anyone honestly think Fran had to pry him away from other reputable basketball programs that coveted his basketball skill set? Having said that, at the end of the day Fran's goodwill gesture obviously won't change the make up of Iowa basketball which seems to be mired in the mid/mid-lower tier of the Big Ten conference.

What about one of the assistants finding a sophomore JUCO point guard that might actually contribute to us winning a game in the immediate future. With the millions of dollars on the line to be competitive in the Big Ten or NCAA you have got to continually try to upgrade your talent pool. We have cheerleaders for basketball already, we need players with a potential future in the program. What has the program gotten, as far as recruiting is concerned, after having the Player of the Year for 1 and 1/2 years!?

No one has ever read a comment from you that wasn't just flat out NASTY. I would never ever insult any reader or writer on any of these forums. This is called manners, something most of us learned from our teachers and parents around the second grade. GROW UP or go back to the second grade and learn something. Wait, you can't.
Consider the source. He's the real idiot.

Ash grabbed the last available scholarship for this year. We're now at 13. I guess Joe is not coming back for sure with this news. Onward, backward or sideways as Fran likes to say. 😎❤️🏀
So...are you able to man up and admit you are wrong?

We could have used that scholarship on someone that could contribute something to the team.
Possibly, and maybe Fran like the guys he has. Seriously we're talking about a 12 th or 13th player here. These are the same folks who will be complaining about Fran playing too many players and having too big a rotation. So who do we not play next season. Perkins, Ulis, Keegan, Joe T, Kris M. Pmac, Josh O. Mulvey, Rebraka????

I am sure the walk ons work their a** off trying to learn learn the offense of the teams we play so the Hawks have a better chance of winning the game. They pay their own way thru school but love the game and the Hawks so much the donate their time and effort to make our team better. If Fran has the team where he feels good with it then I for one think it is the right thing to do to pay one of our walk ons for their hard work by giving them a year of school for free. I would guess that might be something that other players that may think about if they consider walking on the team in the future. I trust that Fran knows how to treat his basketball players.

Reactions: mstp1992
I'm sure Fran had a feel for what realistic options were left in the portal. Or should I say, no realistic options left and he offered a known commodity. If you feel Ash is a wasted scholarship, that is a valid opinion. Personally, he can sit at the top of the zone for 5-10 minutes a game and defend. Depending on the match-up, he can shoot with confidence and stretch the defense for short periods of games. That is all you are looking for here. I am good with him on scholarship.

I am sure the walk ons work their a** off trying to learn learn the offense of the teams we play so the Hawks have a better chance of winning the game. They pay their own way thru school but love the game and the Hawks so much the donate their time and effort to make our team better. If Fran has the team where he feels good with it then I for one think it is the right thing to do to pay one of our walk ons for their hard work by giving them a year of school for free. I would guess that might be something that other players that may think about if they consider walking on the team in the future. I trust that Fran knows how to treat his basketball players.
I think this is an excellent point. As I’ve said before, in the portal era, player retention will be as important as player recruitment. Every quality player you keep out of the portal is as valuable as every quality player you take from it. Coaches who know how to treat their players well will have a potential advantage.

i believe only Connor could be taken of scholarship and made a walk on again as that is how he officially joined the roster. I believe Patrick was in scholarship from day 1 so cannot remain on roster as a walk on.

I hope this transfer portal gets shut down or modified soon or else there will be "giver" schools and "taker" schools and we will be in the former class. It could become similar to how it was during the Lickliter era where we consistently lost our best player every year only now, they won't have to sit our a transfer year. The "haves" will, surreptitiously of course, lure players from other schools to fill their weak spots.

I hope this transfer portal gets shut down or modified soon or else there will be "giver" schools and "taker" schools and we will be in the former class. It could become similar to how it was during the Lickliter era where we consistently lost our best player every year only now, they won't have to sit our a transfer year. The "haves" will, surreptitiously of course, lure players from other schools to fill their weak spots.

RIGHT ON!

Backcourt: Joe T, Ulis, Perkins, JBo, Sanford, (Connor?)

Frontcourt: PMac, Murray twins, Riley, Josh O, Filip

Now, I get that team is very unlikely to compete for a conference title or make a deep run in March. But realistically, what transfer, who would consider Iowa, would be able to come in right away and compete for minutes? Don't get me wrong, I would love a talent upgrade at several positions, but I'm curious what available players in the portal do some fans see as being able to upgrade what's already on the roster?

Ash was not given a scholarship to replace Weezy or Garza's production. It's pretty clear Fran is going with the team he has. Ash was given a scholly as a courteous simply because it was available. There's a bunch of ado about nothing in this thread.

I guess id prefer to have some stability in the program. Fill holes when needed, like they did with rebraca. Otherwise role with the guys you recruited, who will be competitive this year and very good 2 years from now.
I would say that Joe's roster spot qualifies as a "hole to fill".

I would say that Joe's roster spot qualifies as a "hole to fill".
Assuming you mean joeW, pat will fill that role and do better than ok. Also have kr murray and sandfort who will get minutes there. I don’t understand why ppl r already writing this team off, there are some very nice pieces in place. Defense will be improved, and frans teams always score.

Assuming you mean joeW, pat will fill that role and do better than ok. Also have kr murray and sandfort who will get minutes there. I don’t understand why ppl r already writing this team off, there are some very nice pieces in place. Defense will be improved, and frans teams always score.
Throw in Tony Perkins at that spot on occasion, too, depending on match-ups.

Patrick showed he was a pretty good defender, has some ability to drive to the basket, and will be a better shooter from the outside with consistent playing time (he shot 45% from three his senior year).

I just don't see who in the portal Fran reasonably should have (or could have) gotten to 'replace' Wieskamp. It's not as if he can just tell a kid to come to Iowa City. All the teams Rebraca was interested in were teams in need of a post-player and that offered immediate playing time.

Michigan made the Round of 32 in Fran’s first season, were co-Big Ten champs his second, and played in the national title game in his third
Oh STFU already....

Fran's first season was the '10-'11 season.

The OP is absolutely right -- Michigan wasn't sh*t when Fran took over.

Beilein took over that program in the '07-'08 season. He didn't make the tourney his first season. In the '08-'09 season, Michigan made the tourney for the first time since 1995 (the first time in FOURTEEN YEARS). ('96 and '98 appearances were vacated as part of the penalty for one of the most infamous pay-for-play scandals in the history of college basketball).

The following season ('09-'10), Michigan missed the tourney again. So when Fran took over at Iowa the next season '10-'11, Michigan appeared in its SECOND NCAA tournament in SIXTEEN YEARS. That, indeed, is the very definition of a sh*t basketball program.

So again, the OP was exactly correct.

Your spergy reply about what Michigan eventually accomplished under Beilein does not refute the OP, but in fact, PERFECTLY MAKES the OP's point for him. Michigan turned things around only because they hired the right person for the job.

All I ever hear on this board is "we can't do that. we're not X school (who has all kinds of advantages compared to lil ol' ioway)..."

It's always, yes ALWAYS, defeatist nonsense.

Here is the hard, bottom line, irrefutable truth: If Wisconsin can do it, any school can do it (including Northwestern). Everything else is just an excuse for lack of institutional will.

Period.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT