ADVERTISEMENT

So now we know for sure.

Michigan wasn't shit when Fran took over, they had 1 ncaa tourney between 1998 and 2011. Iowa isn't them because they had a coach who could recognize his weakness so they hired a defensive guru and moved the program forward with final 4's while Fran was doing what he's comfortable with and being a .500 bten coach who has accomplished very little that matters. Again, I do like the young guys but we lost so much production with Garza, Nunge, CJ, Weezy there was room to add more scoring and athletic potential at guard and still have playing time. The problem is Fran needs to save minutes for his son who doesn't really have a position and shouldn't be starting.

We watched ISU take the next step with transfers not too long ago and it's proving to be a skill today's coaches need to be elite. If being a bubble team is fine with everyone then Fran's approach is perfect. If he wants to improve to a program that is regularly in contention for the bten he needs to get the best players he can and the portal is the perfect opportunity. If this roster struggles then the criticism is warranted. If they make the sweet 16 i'll happily eat crow
Post of the year.

Oh STFU already....

Fran's first season was the '10-'11 season.

The OP is absolutely right -- Michigan wasn't sh*t when Fran took over.

Beilein took over that program in the '07-'08 season. He didn't make the tourney his first season. In the '08-'09 season, Michigan made the tourney for the first time since 1995 (the first time in FOURTEEN YEARS). ('96 and '98 appearances were vacated as part of the penalty for one of the most infamous pay-for-play scandals in the history of college basketball).

The following season ('09-'10), Michigan missed the tourney again. So when Fran took over at Iowa the next season '10-'11, Michigan appeared in its SECOND NCAA tournament in SIXTEEN YEARS. That, indeed, is the very definition of a sh*t basketball program.

So again, the OP was exactly correct.

Your spergy reply about what Michigan eventually accomplished under Beilein does not refute the OP, but in fact, PERFECTLY MAKES the OP's point for him. Michigan turned things around only because they hired the right person for the job.

All I ever hear on this board is "we can't do that. we're not X school (who has all kinds of advantages compared to lil ol' ioway)..."

It's always, yes ALWAYS, defeatist nonsense.

Here is the hard, bottom line, irrefutable truth: If Wisconsin can do it, any school can do it (including Northwestern). Everything else is just an excuse for lack of institutional will.

Period.
tenor.gif

The whiniest guys in the whole state are on this board. With their expertise I am sure they are all millionaires

"Hey, this guy's been here soaking up millions for ELEVEN seasons and he has yet to win a damn thing. Hasn't even made it to the second weekend of the tourney. What's up with that?"

Only at Iowa is noticing such things and considering them unusual considered "whining" rather than common sense. Only millionaires are allowed to notice and comment. All the other grubby rubes should just enjoy the ice cream and shut up about winning. lol

lol

Just sick of being lectured about why we shouldn't ever expect to actually win anything.

It's BS.
It's also a game played by college kids. I have far different expectations for professionals than I do at the college level.

Sure, if Iowa shows poor academic achievement, strings of illegal activities by the players, losing seasons, etc. then of course I'd want something changed at the helm. However, not winning championships or extended NCAA tournament runs are not something that really gets me upset.

lol

Just sick of being lectured about why we shouldn't ever expect to actually win anything.

It's BS.
You think there’s a single person here happy about the fact that Fran had the most experienced and deepest team of his tenure at Iowa and exited in the first weekend of the tournament last year? My preseason minimum expectation of a Sweet 16 means that last year was a failure to me. Most other seasons with veteran classes that ended in Round of 32 exits were failures to me. I wasn’t even into Hawkeye sports until a few years after they made their last Sweet 16 in ‘99. You think I don’t want to see them get there as much as anybody else?

I imagine that anybody with a shred of common sense sees no-name teams going on tournament runs and asks themselves, “why not Iowa?” Unfortunately, nobody posting on the Hawkeye Report free board has the ability to hold anyone within the program accountable, so I try to find positives to keep myself excited about it all and engaged for upcoming seasons.

Secondarily, watching Hawkeye hoops really helps get through crappy Nebraska winters, and to Fran’s credit, he puts an exciting brand of ball on the floor that’s worth watching for me regardless of the outcome. Do I want to see better end of season success? Duh, but if all Iowa ball made me want to do was feel/be negative and complain, I’d just as soon stop watching

Oh STFU already....

Fran's first season was the '10-'11 season.

The OP is absolutely right -- Michigan wasn't sh*t when Fran took over.

Beilein took over that program in the '07-'08 season. He didn't make the tourney his first season. In the '08-'09 season, Michigan made the tourney for the first time since 1995 (the first time in FOURTEEN YEARS). ('96 and '98 appearances were vacated as part of the penalty for one of the most infamous pay-for-play scandals in the history of college basketball).

The following season ('09-'10), Michigan missed the tourney again. So when Fran took over at Iowa the next season '10-'11, Michigan appeared in its SECOND NCAA tournament in SIXTEEN YEARS. That, indeed, is the very definition of a sh*t basketball program.

So again, the OP was exactly correct.

Your spergy reply about what Michigan eventually accomplished under Beilein does not refute the OP, but in fact, PERFECTLY MAKES the OP's point for him. Michigan turned things around only because they hired the right person for the job.

All I ever hear on this board is "we can't do that. we're not X school (who has all kinds of advantages compared to lil ol' ioway)..."

It's always, yes ALWAYS, defeatist nonsense.

Here is the hard, bottom line, irrefutable truth: If Wisconsin can do it, any school can do it (including Northwestern). Everything else is just an excuse for lack of institutional will.

Period.
Which coaches are guaranteed to elevate the program. Let's not be children and pretend there is no risk to dumping a winning coach, at Iowa not Michigan.

Do you want Lickliter back? He was NCoY when we hired him, coming off his second Sweet 16 from a one bid league. Do you want Alford back? Think our 3 NCAA appearances in 8 seasons is better than what we have now? Let's not forget Alford inherited a Sweet 16 team that had 13 NCAA win in the previous 13 seasons, not a program that was the burned our remnants of a dumpster fire as did McC.

So, coming off effectively 3 consecutive NCAA tournaments (we were well off the bubble in 2019) and four second rounds in the past 8 seasons you think now is the time for the "institutional will" to fire the winning coach doing that and take a flyer on someone that might be better.

I could see taking a flyer if we had a Lickliter or Alford situation before us, but we don't. We are winning, not as much as I would like, but winning, qualifying and winning games in the NCAA. There's about 350 programs not doing that and I don't care to join them.

Indeed look what happened to Michigan, a permanent blue blood once they got on the coaching carousel. That's a program that always has been and always will be a couple of rungs above Iowa in the sporting world, if for no other reason (and there are many) the conference in which we play wants it that way.

I can see schools that haven't had the Dr. Davis followed by disaster experience to inform their fans of the massive risk involved in changing coaches, not because they're losing or not making the NCAAs and winning games in the NCAA but because we are not winning enough games in the NCAA wanting to take the risk; but not Iowa. Even a dog doesn't put its paw in the same fire twice.

So who provides the assurance of a better program, given Iowa's limitations in recruiting and winning the facilities war, 'cuz we don't have the money that Wisconsin, Purdue, the Michigans, Penn St, Indiana or Illinois have. We don't have the population to produce a lot of D1 guys in Iowa and kids have much less in state loyalty. Of course we make the change now we lose both McC kids and possibly others, because that's what almost always happens during a 21st Century coaching change. So factor all that into your dream world and let the group know whose going to make Iowa better than we are now without the risk of a massive downside.

Which coaches are guaranteed to elevate the program. Let's not be children and pretend there is no risk to dumping a winning coach, at Iowa not Michigan.

Do you want Lickliter back? He was NCoY when we hired him, coming off his second Sweet 16 from a one bid league. Do you want Alford back? Think our 3 NCAA appearances in 8 seasons is better than what we have now? Let's not forget Alford inherited a Sweet 16 team that had 13 NCAA win in the previous 13 seasons, not a program that was the burned our remnants of a dumpster fire as did McC.

So, coming off effectively 3 consecutive NCAA tournaments (we were well off the bubble in 2019) and four second rounds in the past 8 seasons you think now is the time for the "institutional will" to fire the winning coach doing that and take a flyer on someone that might be better.

I could see taking a flyer if we had a Lickliter or Alford situation before us, but we don't. We are winning, not as much as I would like, but winning, qualifying and winning games in the NCAA. There's about 350 programs not doing that and I don't care to join them.

Indeed look what happened to Michigan, a permanent blue blood once they got on the coaching carousel. That's a program that always has been and always will be a couple of rungs above Iowa in the sporting world, if for no other reason (and there are many) the conference in which we play wants it that way.

I can see schools that haven't had the Dr. Davis followed by disaster experience to inform their fans of the massive risk involved in changing coaches, not because they're losing or not making the NCAAs and winning games in the NCAA but because we are not winning enough games in the NCAA wanting to take the risk; but not Iowa. Even a dog doesn't put its paw in the same fire twice.

So who provides the assurance of a better program, given Iowa's limitations in recruiting and winning the facilities war, 'cuz we don't have the money that Wisconsin, Purdue, the Michigans, Penn St, Indiana or Illinois have. We don't have the population to produce a lot of D1 guys in Iowa and kids have much less in state loyalty. Of course we make the change now we lose both McC kids and possibly others, because that's what almost always happens during a 21st Century coaching change. So factor all that into your dream world and let the group know whose going to make Iowa better than we are now without the risk of a massive downside.
Best to ignore that twerp. He's a knowitall who never admits when he is wrong and often spouts opinions as facts. He's not an Iowa fan. He uses the pic of Lute like a shield but he's just a jerk.

Reactions: AwkHawk
You think there’s a single person here happy about the fact that Fran had the most experienced and deepest team of his tenure at Iowa and exited in the first weekend of the tournament last year? My preseason minimum expectation of a Sweet 16 means that last year was a failure to me. Most other seasons with veteran classes that ended in Round of 32 exits were failures to me. I wasn’t even into Hawkeye sports until a few years after they made their last Sweet 16 in ‘99. You think I don’t want to see them get there as much as anybody else?

I imagine that anybody with a shred of common sense sees no-name teams going on tournament runs and asks themselves, “why not Iowa?” Unfortunately, nobody posting on the Hawkeye Report free board has the ability to hold anyone within the program accountable, so I try to find positives to keep myself excited about it all and engaged for upcoming seasons.

Secondarily, watching Hawkeye hoops really helps get through crappy Nebraska winters, and to Fran’s credit, he puts an exciting brand of ball on the floor that’s worth watching for me regardless of the outcome. Do I want to see better end of season success? Duh, but if all Iowa ball made me want to do was feel/be negative and complain, I’d just as soon stop watching

You're right, it is really about managing expectations. We are Iowa fans. We're never going to be a blue blood, although I think the BBall team could, under an extraordinarily rare confluence of circumstances, probably finish a little higher but its damn hard to do, at Iowa. That's why its so fun when we have the great season from time to time. Although you have to be my age to remember the last FF.

Your last sentence is so spot on it hurts. People who visit our board are stunned by the negativity and animosity toward our two major programs and their head coaches. Every post, year after year, always finding the horse shit rather than the pony under the Christmas tree. If something brought me that much negativity and frustration I'd stop watching and start pulling for Alabama or Clemson.​

Try reading my post again and see if you understand it. At no point do I say the only year the free year applies is next season. At this point, next season is the only year where you can go over 13 scholarships in basketball.

This is correct. I think it's extremely problematic and I think it will change but teams are only allowed to go over the 13 scholarship limit for the 21-22 season then will be held to 13 after that.

Probably will impact a lot of recruits as well.

. I have far different expectations for professionals than I do at the college level.

The dude coaching gets paid multiple millions of dollars to do it. In a common sense world, that should warrant some expectations.

The dude coaching gets paid multiple millions of dollars to do it. In a common sense world, that should warrant some expectations.
I do have expectations. But, as I’ve said, my expectations are different. He got Rebraca, and is obviously comfortable with the wing players on his roster.

If he were coaching the Bulls, sure, I’d expect more. But, you do you.

So did Alford and Lickliter, millions for doing much much less and destroying the program. We fire McC and we pay millions to the next guy. Look around the country and you'll find there are many many coaches doing much less also getting paid millions.

Firing someone that is already winning at Iowa in the hopes of finding someone that will win more is monumentally stupid. Anywhere else it would just be poor judgment but we've seen what can happen.

Seriously I think you should probably become more of a Michigan fan, maybe Duke. You'll be happier.

Last edited:
So did Alford and Lickliter, millions for doing much much less and destroying the program. We fire McC and we pay millions to the next guy. Look around the country there are many many coaches doing much also getting paid millions.

Firing someone that is already winning at Iowa in the hopes of finding someone that will win more is monumentally stupid. Anywhere else it would just be poor judgment but we've seen what can happen.

Seriously I think you should probably become more of a Michigan fan, maybe Duke. You'll be happier.

Making the sweet 16 more often than once every 30+ years isn't too much to ask, IMO.

So did Alford and Lickliter, millions for doing much much less and destroying the program. We fire McC and we pay millions to the next guy. Look around the country there are many many coaches doing much also getting paid millions.

Nobody is suggesting firing him now, Margaret.

Nobody. Unbunch your panties.

He probably should have been fired in ‘17.

But if we had done that we wouldn’t have won all of those conference titles and made all of those tourney runs.

Oh wait...

Never mind.

Tell you what, if after 30 years on the job McCaffery’s only taken Iowa to the sweet 16 once, then I’ll join you in asking for him to be fired.

lol

That’s why Iowa is a perennial basketball power — uncompromising standards of excellence!

Making the sweet 16 more often than once every 30+ years isn't too much to ask, IMO.

I'd love to see that, especially cuz I don't have that many years left. Technically it was 22 years ago.

The imbecilic cause of this failure is exactly what it sounds like you want to do again. Toss off the winning coach, coming off a Sweet 16 year and gamble that there is some new guy that can win more, "take us to the next level" were Bowlsby's exact words. Well Alford took us too a new level alright. Then NCoY Lickliter took us to an even newer level, 20 loss seasons.

The trajectory of the program is not down. We still have 5 ESPN 4*s on this roster and a Rivals 4* (Ahron). That upset to Oregon sucked, and it was a poorly coached and poorly played game. But we're not in some disastrous situation looking at 15-20 losses. The solution is not find a new coach, the solution is spending more money on facilities and swag for our athletes. So get out your check book, send the U of I $5000 and limit its use to basketball facilities.

I'd love to see that, especially cuz I don't have that many years left. Technically it was 22 years ago.

The imbecilic cause of this failure is exactly what it sounds like you want to do again. Toss off the winning coach, coming off a Sweet 16 year and gamble that there is some new guy that can win more, "take us to the next level" were Bowlsby's exact words. Well Alford took us too a new level alright. Then NCoY Lickliter took us to an even newer level, 20 loss seasons.

The trajectory of the program is not down. We still have 5 ESPN 4*s on this roster and a Rivals 4* (Ahron). That upset to Oregon sucked, and it was a poorly coached and poorly played game. But we're not in some disastrous situation looking at 15-20 losses. The solution is not find a new coach, the solution is spending more money on facilities and swag for our athletes. So get out your check book, send the U of I $5000 and limit its use to basketball facilities.

The last one we made before 1999 was in 1989 so it has been one Sweet 16 in 30+ years.

IMO, the solution is an overhaul of the staff to bring in guys that can recruit HS kids and transfers. The solution isn't plucking one of your walk ons out of the portal and give him a scholarship.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Nobody is suggesting firing him now, Margaret.

Nobody. Unbunch your panties.

He probably should have been fired in ‘17.

But if we had done that we wouldn’t have won all of those conference titles and made all of those tourney runs.

Oh wait...

Never mind.

Don't be disingenuous, its a bad look. Each post of your endless scree of criticism implies you want a new coach.

Seriously, you should just forget about all us loser Iowa fans and the shitty underperforming poorly coached teams you obviously detest and find yourself some blue bloods to follow.

Don't be disingenuous, its a bad look. Each post of your endless scree of criticism implies you want a new coach.

Seriously, you should just forget about all us loser Iowa fans and the shitty underperforming poorly coached teams you obviously detest and find yourself some blue bloods to follow.

You should probably stop inferring things you want to be true and stick to bragging about your high-level political connections. lol

If you think Iowa should probably have won more than 1 conference title over the last 42 years, and/or have made more than. 1 sweet sixteen over the last 30 years, you should just go root for blue bloods.”

LOL

Holy sh*t, dude....that’s just pathetic.

You should probably stop inferring things you want to be true and stick to bragging about your high-level political connections. lol

You are a silly silly man, Wile E Coyote.

Your "affection" for Iowa is like the wife beater, in their dangerous and distorted way, loves their wife. "I'm just punching you in the face to make you a better wife."

You complain about every mistake, ridicule the coaches, spit venom on the players-like you just did because the roster with 6 4* recruits doesn't fit your endless ****ing negativity, so why not just give up on Iowa and find a place that isn't so distasteful?

I do have, or have had, high level political connections because I'm really clever. Probably not the guy with whom you want to get into a pissing match. I'll lay down my arms and ignore you and you feel free to do the same.

Signed,

The Road Runner

You are a silly silly man, Wile E Coyote.

Your "affection" for Iowa is like the wife beater, in their dangerous and distorted way, loves their wife. "I'm just punching you in the face to make you a better wife."

You complain about every mistake, ridicule the coaches, spit venom on the players-like you just did because the roster with 6 4* recruits doesn't fit your endless ****ing negativity, so why not just give up on Iowa and find a place that isn't so distasteful?

I do have, or have had, high level political connections because I'm really clever. Probably not the guy with whom you want to get into a pissing match. I'll lay down my arms and ignore you and you feel free to do the same.

Signed,

The Road Runner

Hahaha

I think Henry Kissinger posts here too.

Yeah... I’ll bet you were a real mover and shaker in Dubuque.

lol

I don’t think you understand that you are being made fun of.

I enjoyed this last season immensely. Lousy last game, but whatever. Lots of great moments, and very entertaining.

That’s awesome!!!

But when are they raising those banners?

That’s awesome!!!

Good grief folks. I have my disagreements with Raptorpeeps, but he has struck a nerve with some of you all just asking some questions. The truth is, that over the past 30 years, which is an eternity in college basketball, Iowa has been irrelevant and largely mediocre. And there is near zero evidence that a conference title or Sweet 16 is coming anytime soon under Fran.

Of course Fran should not be fired now. No one is really saying that. But when again is Iowa going to have the best player in the conference/nation on the team? And even with said player, is it not okay to question how the team didn't do better than 4th in the league and round of 32 exit from the NCAA? That doesn't make a person a hater. Fran had an experienced team with the best player in basketball. And what did they win? Nothing of consequence. Yes, winning the league or getting to the second weekend is difficult. But if it wasn't hard, they wouldn't pay the coach millions.

Bluder has had generational players consecutively in Gustafson and Clark. She hasn't won the regular season league title, but at least has a conference tournament title, a Sweet 16 and Elite 8 to show for it.

Yes, Ferentz has had ups and downs, but he's also won the league twice, won the division another time and won an Orange Bowl in a separate season from all of those. Actually winning something gives a coach some goodwill and makes it palatable to live with the other seasons.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
That’s awesome!!!

You sir are really boring and very predictable. Moving the goal posts throughout an argument until you reach your Alamo.
Conceited and argumentative are never a good look. You wear it well.

Reactions: iahawks10
You sir are really boring and very predictable. Moving the goal posts throughout an argument until you reach your Alamo.
Conceited and argumentative are never a good look. You wear it well.
“Moving the goalposts?”

hahahahahaha

what?

Fran McCaffery will never see the second weekend of the tourney without a ticket.

Not my fault. Enjoy the seasons.

Reactions: mizzy2442
FFS...both of you guys find a dark corner to do whatever you have to do....but give it a rest here.
I can't believe he carried on like that for so long all because he is a complete idiot with zero reading comprehension skills

and he is a subscriber. I feel sorry for the people in the Lounge who have to put up with his nonsense and stupidity

I can't believe he carried on like that for so long all because he is a complete idiot with zero reading comprehension skills

and he is a subscriber. I feel sorry for the people in the Lounge who have to put up with his nonsense and stupidity

JFC, try and be original.

I can't believe he carried on like that for so long all because he misread my post.

you are a complete idiot with zero reading comprehension skills

and you are a subscriber. I feel sorry for the people in the Lounge who have to put up with your nonsense and stupidity

that was not original enough for you?

Posters in the Lounge don't have thin skin like you, buddy boy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT