ADVERTISEMENT

So tell me about Chicago, IL

jasonrann

HR Legend
Apr 11, 2007
I know a lot of people catch the deads there, but I am hoping to avoid that.

Started the new work gig this week. I will be in Grand Rapids, MI for a couple weeks/month, in Chicago for 2-3 days/month and home with the family in KC the balance of the time. It has been at least 10 years since I have been to Chicago and I am headed there tomorrow for five days. Tell me about it. Luckily, the cousin I am working for is a pimp and I am staying at the condo downtown on the lake. I am connecting with an old girlfriend for the Cubs/Phillies game Tuesday night, but would appreciate input about other things to do and where to eat. Much obliged!

Reactions: GOHOX69

Started the new work gig this week. I will be in Grand Rapids, MI for a couple weeks/month, in Chicago for 2-3 days/month and home with the family in KC the balance of the time. It has been at least 10 years since I have been to Chicago and I am headed there tomorrow for five days. Tell me about it. Luckily, the cousin I am working for is a pimp and I am staying at the condo downtown on the lake. I am connecting with an old girlfriend for the Cubs/Phillies game Tuesday night, but would appreciate input about other things to do and where to eat. Much obliged!
Kind of buried the lead there, homey.

Chicago has a good casserole that they call pizza.

I don't take that as a good sign for the home front...

Go to Durkin's on Friday nights. It used to be $20 all you can drink and eat. Don't know if they still have the deal but I spent many nights getting shit faced for cheap. It's at Halstead and diversey

Lived in Chicago for awhile back in the late 70's and it was a lot of fun,.. but that was a long time ago and the fun may have moved on....

So… You decided not to reconcile with the wife?
We are definitely reconciling. We are doing weekly counseling. We have discussed the new job every step of the way. Ironically, it was us being separated that made me consider it and we could see since we had been apart that we could make it work. Now if any of you a-holes start railing my wife (no pic) while I am gone, we are going to have regular meetins at Fight Bar and I will kill you.

We are definitely reconciling. We are doing weekly counseling. We have discussed the new job every step of the way. Ironically, it was us being separated that made me consider it and we could see since we had been apart that we could make it work. Now if any of you a-holes start railing my wife (no pic) while I am gone, we are going to have regular meetins at Fight Bar and I will kill you.
Start? Most of us have been for years

As a colleauge/friend of mine once said when we were talking about people cheating and leading double lives: "I already have a wife. Why in the hell would I want two of them?"

Have lived in Chicago (Lakeview specifically) for 13 years now and haven’t caught the dead yet. Things have changed significantly for me in those 13 years as my free time has progressed from weekend day drinking/bar hopping and late nights on Hubbard Street to weekend kids activities and asleep before 11…but still love it here. So many world class restaurants and activities to partake in so take advantage of your few days a month here.

I’ll actually be at the Cubs game Tuesday night too…the bright side of them sucking is I get offered a lot of free tickets.

So, um, is she aware you're going on a date with an ex-girlfriend?

I can't speak for all disgruntled wives, but mine would definitely have a problem with that.

Yes. The ex-girlfriend is also now a lesbian and her partner will be joining us. Oh, and no pics.
hunger-games-shitjustgotinteresting.gif

That isn’t Fight Bar behavior. Take that ish to Death Match Bar.

Reactions: jasonrann
So after multiple poor decisions of alcohol abuse(and possible infidelity), you separate from your wife and kids, to take a job several hours away where you will sometimes make it home and are already planning to get reacquainted with a former ex. I don't care if you guys just enjoy each other's company thats a horrible thing to do to a woman.

Your life is your life and you can screw it up however you wish but you really should Man up and tell her it's over so atleast she can move on and have a happy life, you are not serious about this.

(Things a therapist is thinking but cannot say because they need billable hours)

I got you..

Many different opinions out there on pizza, but I would rank (as would many locals I do believe) Pequod’s Pizza the best Chicago pizza, the original Lincoln Park area location. Chicago Pizza And Oven Grinder is an alternative if you want something a little different (upside down pizza in a crock). I used to swear by Gino’s East and Lou Malnatti’s is also very good. BUT, Pequod’s tops my personal list.

Also take in a Portillo’s, get a Chicago Dog and an Italian Beef. Ok, it’s got a lot of locations now which maybe brings the quality down slightly, and some might tell you differently for dogs and Italian beefs, but Portillo’s has tradition and a lot of cool sports memorabilia.

As for dogs, I have heard The Wiener’s Circle uhhh can be an interesting experience especially if you order, and tip for, a “chocolate shake”.

Burgers: Paradise Pup in Des Plaines is a total dive, be prepared to take it to go, and I enjoyed Burger Bar (a few locations).

Oh, I almost forgot Billy Goat’s, but find the original tavern on Michigan Ave. “Cheeborger cheeborger cheeborger!”

Pequods

The West Loop restaurant scene

Skip Wrigleyville always.

The Morton Arboreatum is a great place to walk, take one of the rideshare bikes down to the Museum of Science and Industry on the lakefront path, the bookstores on 57th Street are great, the Garfield Park Observatory is worth the trip, or take a walk through Lincoln Park (the park itself, not the neighborhood). I would suggest staying away from Wrigleyville and Cubs games given what you've shared.

Reactions: GES4 and GOHOX69
So after multiple poor decisions of alcohol abuse(and possible infidelity), you separate from your wife and kids, to take a job several hours away where you will sometimes make it home and are already planning to get reacquainted with a former ex. I don't care if you guys just enjoy each other's company thats a horrible thing to do to a woman.

Your life is your life and you can screw it up however you wish but you really should Man up and tell her it's over so atleast she can move on and have a happy life, you are not serious about this.

(Things a therapist is thinking but cannot say because they need billable hours)
Dude, you're fvcking killing me right now.

My wife and I have been separated for MONTHS already. I will not see them any less. I have talked to her about this EVERY step of the way. She is on board. I am not looking for a sexy hookup either.

No shortage of judgment on HORT these days. Good to know.

Dude, you're fvcking killing me right now.

My wife and I have been separated for MONTHS already. I will not see them any less. I have talked to her about this EVERY step of the way. She is on board. I am not looking for a sexy hookup either.

No shortage of judgment on HORT these days. Good to know.
Look at who is posting. You do you. That phuqwad doesn’t know you. Keep your head up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT