ADVERTISEMENT

So there will be no football, just how will

destewart

All-Conference
Jun 5, 2001
The Big Ten Presidents and Commissioner Warren measure the success of their decision to cancel football for the fall. Football players are still on campus and will still test positive for Covid 19. Will they count up the results without football, hire some actuarial to guesstimate how many would have tested positive had football been played and then declare victory and celebrate their success? Given the Billions of dollars in losses to the schools, the conferences and their communities they must have had some goal in mind, so just what was the goal? Thousands will have lost their jobs both directly and indirectly. Will they have something they take as a victory as a consolation for their lost employment and income? In December and January when they gather with the Commissioner, to what will they toast?

Reactions: pmtdc
Guessing we won't know if this was the right decision or not until after spring. Need to see how this fall goes and how the winter/spring season goes to determine who was correct.

Reactions: Underscore2
Guessing we won't know if this was the right decision or not until after spring. Need to see how this fall goes and how the winter/spring season goes to determine who was correct.
lol. You honestly think they will play in Spring?

they just said that to calm people a little bit.

it’s do nothing until there is a vaccine for the Big Ten.

if you want big ten sports you need to hope the schools playing this fall finish their seasons. This will put a ton of pressure on theBig Ten.

I don't know. But I also don't know if the fall season will be shut down halfway thru. That's why I am waiting to see how things play out before I decide who ultimately made the best decision

if you want big ten sports you need to hope the schools playing this fall finish their seasons. This will put a ton of pressure on theBig Ten.

I think

Has the big ten come out and said this about a vaccine?

There is a very good chance there won't be a vaccine. Then what, wait forever?

There is a very good chance there won't be a vaccine. Then what, wait forever?
If it was up to me I would have opened it all up now. If you are scared university oh Phoenix.

mandate masks as much as you can and personal responsibility.

At what point do satellite and cable companies drop BTN? I'm assuming they're locked into some sort of deal. But what value does that network have now? I think I've watched it twice the last 4 months.

Wait, so you’re not watching all the bowl game reruns?

This is likely the case. The fact that they had zero plans for playing in the spring when they cancelled shows they have little intention of playing then either. I am not sure exactly what will be different in January. Midst of cold/flu season when you have more people ill outside of COVID, panic turned on at Level 11 for anyone who is sick.

The only way it happens is if the other conferences are able to play in the fall, it would put more pressure on the Big 10.

At what point do satellite and cable companies drop BTN? I'm assuming they're locked into some sort of deal. But what value does that network have now? I think I've watched it twice the last 4 months.

It has no value without football and men’s basketball

Reactions: unclesammy
If it was up to me I would have opened it all up now. If you are scared university oh Phoenix.

mandate masks as much as you can and personal responsibility.

I would agree, but things are still not really under control yet. Having concerts, large gatherings, and sports with fans is still a big risk. I am not sure but I think they are afraid of large amounts of communities getting really sick if those are allowed. Not a lot of transparency and a lot of false stuff coming from both ends of the political spectrum. Wear a mask and see what happens.

This is likely the case. The fact that they had zero plans for playing in the spring when they cancelled shows they have little intention of playing then either. I am not sure exactly what will be different in January. Midst of cold/flu season when you have more people ill outside of COVID, panic turned on at Level 11 for anyone who is sick.

The only way it happens is if the other conferences are able to play in the fall, it would put more pressure on the Big 10.

Yeah, playing now would be smarter. January and indoors? in the midst of basketball going on too? so now your athletic departments are following football/ volleyball along with basketball...... Not sure the thought process on this at all.

Agree if the fall season goes badly for those playing there will be no spring season. If the fall season goes okay for those playing then Big Ten in January should be good to go with some lessons learned from fall.

Reactions: JJ13579
Yeah, playing now would be smarter. January and indoors? in the midst of basketball going on too? so now your athletic departments are following football/ volleyball along with basketball...... Not sure the thought process on this at all.

What's the big deal about indoors in a big stadium with only the teams inside? I don't get how it is really that much different than outdoors. It is just warmer. They do have ventilation systems and there won't be any fans in stands.

Agree if the fall season goes badly for those playing there will be no spring season. If the fall season goes okay for those playing then Big Ten in January should be good to go with some lessons learned from fall.

I hope that happens. January will look weird, but might not be all that bad. It seems logically not the best time to do it considering temps and other illnesses

They keep it because there will be value in the not to distant future. If this was going to last until 2025 then maybe, but it is not that long.

AND and this is a big AND, FOX is a part owner in the deal.

What's the big deal about indoors in a big stadium with only the teams inside? I don't get how it is really that much different than outdoors. It is just warmer. They do have ventilation systems and there won't be any fans in stands.

I am not sure on the indoors thing either, but outdoor fresh air is usually better than indoor. It was just my 2 cents

I hope that happens. January will look weird, but might not be all that bad. It seems logically not the best time to do it considering temps and other illnesses

They won't let fans in, but I would for sure watch on tv. January and February are such dead periods for sports. I know there is college basketball, but I cannot get into that like college football. Adds some light to the two dreariest months of the year.

They won't let fans in, but I would for sure watch on tv. January and February are such dead periods for sports. I know there is college basketball, but I cannot get into that like college football. Adds some light to the two dreariest months of the year.

Your not wrong. Maybe it will be better, but where does Iowa play? at UNI?

Your not wrong. Maybe it will be better, but where does Iowa play? at UNI?

Indy, US Bank, Detroit, St Louis (not sure if still would have satisfactory turf in there), Fargo Dome, ???, maybe UNI. If they were shooting for all indoors for the first month or two.

UNI Dome would be fine in terms of turf. Sidelines narrow just like Kinnick. I am guessing the locker rooms are not quite as large but would be okay to get by.

I still don't see why we can't at least try to have a fall season. If it goes bad then, shut it down. The teams in the B1G deserve to give a try and see what happens. Without fans in the stands or no more than 20% capacity would be different but it is still doable. Why not give it it a shot. This chicken little approach will hurt the entire conference more than it helps.

Reactions: unclesammy
I still don't see why we can't at least try to have a fall season. If it goes bad then, shut it down. The teams in the B1G deserve to give a try and see what happens. Without fans in the stands or no more than 20% capacity would be different but it is still doable. Why not give it it a shot. This chicken little approach will hurt the entire conference more than it helps.
You DO know why, just like the rest of us. "Because I said so", just like when you were a kid dealing with your parents. They don't feel they need to give us a reason, we should just live with their decision because they're the ADULT here........

You DO know why, just like the rest of us. "Because I said so", just like when you were a kid dealing with your parents. They don't feel they need to give us a reason, we should just live with their decision because they're the ADULT here........

That's... kind of a crappy response. We're not having a season because they weighed the risks of having a season versus not having a season and decided to forgo the season until the spring.

This was based on some research by an Ohio State doctor that I believe the report will be coming out soon.

Cancelling the season also wasn't some politically-based move.

Reactions: Eternal Return
That's... kind of a crappy response. We're not having a season because they weighed the risks of having a season versus not having a season and decided to forgo the season until the spring.

This was based on some research by an Ohio State doctor that I believe the report will be coming out soon.

Ok, if thats the case, then why won't they be more forthcoming on their decision? Pretty much just what I said, because they don't think the players and parents, (hell forget the fans) need to know the reasons, at least not in any detail. Why is that exactly? Numerous doctors have come forward and stated what little medical reasons they did give were faulty reasoning, and have no basis in FACT. They are simply hypothesis, and not shared widely by others in the profession. If these medical reasons were so clear, then why are the other major conferences forging ahead? Don't you think they also sought out their medical professionals? Clearly, the BIG stubbed their toe badly here, and should have proceeded with caution until thinks were more clear and universally accepted.

You can’t possibly believe that...it’s akin to thinking the moon is made of cheese.
The move was probably stupid, but do you really think the entire conference completely gutted their athletic departments because of politics?

Seriously, there are decisions made that aren’t political.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
The move was probably stupid, but do you really think the entire conference completely gutted their athletic departments because of politics?

Seriously, there are decisions made that aren’t political.

Do you really think mayors of cities like Seattle and Portland are letting themselves be destroyed because of politics? Oh, wait.....

Remember, in neither case are the losses coming out of the decision-makers' pockets.

Last edited:
Do you really think mayors of cities like Seattle and Portland are letting themselves be destroyed because of politics? Oh, wait.....

Remember, in neither case are the losses coming out of the decision-makers' pockets.
Are you suggesting the schoolPresidents are doing this to effect the election? You might not be.

edit: Okay, I just read a bunch of your posts. Take a break from the board. I don’t think it’s healthy for you. In fact, I’d take a break from reading/watching just about everything. Not everything is about politics, your influences just make it seem that. And for the love of God, please don’t go on Facebook.

Come back when football is back, and we can all enjoy the Hawks together.

Honestly I don’t want them to play in the spring... might as well just wait until next season in the fall of ‘21 .. as this is a joke and won’t work out - too many variables to overcome and then expect them to play a full slate of football in the fall? No way it’s a joke as someone else pointed out it’s a way to hush everyone up... I wish that they could somehow overturn this but that isn’t going to happen obviously

Reactions: 59DAWG
School presidents don’t care too much about athletics in general.

but don’t threaten their money. That’s why the dorms were open (at least for a few days).

And that is your opinion! IMO, IT IS ALL POLITICAL. COME NOVEMBER AND THE ELECTION IS OVER AND THE BIG MEANY IS OUT OF THE WHITEHOUSE. EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY BECAUSE IT WAS ALL TRUMP'S FAULT.o_O

BTN will take a nose dive. They'll lose billions in the long run. Not to mention the lack of coverage losing millions of viewers.....

It is a major lose-lose for the Big Ten, that'll go beyond 2020-2021.

You can top that off with lower recruiting from lack of coverage.
Although the job losses in B1G communities will be astronomical. That cannot be understated,

BTN will take a nose dive. They'll lose billions in the long run. Not to mention the lack of coverage losing millions of viewers.....

It is a major lose-lose for the Big Ten, that'll go beyond 2020-2021.

You can top that off with lower recruiting from lack of coverage.
Although the job losses in B1G communities will be astronomical. That cannot be understated,

billions???? Come on dude. You do know Fox is part owner right??? They own 51% of the network.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
And that is your opinion! IMO, IT IS ALL POLITICAL. COME NOVEMBER AND THE ELECTION IS OVER AND THE BIG MEANY IS OUT OF THE WHITEHOUSE. EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY BECAUSE IT WAS ALL TRUMP'S FAULT.o_O

The media will be glowing with all things improving, whether real or imaginary.

School presidents don’t care too much about athletics in general.

but don’t threaten their money. That’s why the dorms were open (at least for a few days).

At least Iowa's is a former business person, so he gets the money deal and was for having a season.

... What's the big deal with playing outdoors, with no fans, just teams.... Now!?

Does everyone REALLY think all these college kids have been hiding in their basement for 4 months and are now being forced out to go back to school and play football?

At this point the B1G has to be hoping the virus just runs rampant through the teams that are playing.

ADVERTISEMENT