ADVERTISEMENT

So what's the latest timing on a potential new wrestling facility?

Rustys Dad

HR Heisman
Jun 19, 2015
Des Moines
Edit 6-6-2019: Anything new to report related to fund raising/conversations/timing, etc? Apologies if I've missed any recent updates.

If I missed a recent thread on the topic, I apologize. Has there been any recent news on a potential new facility? It sounds like the facility will pretty much happen ... but what is the best guess when something like this may break ground? Are we talking 5 years out? Two years out? Any guesses by the experts on this board? (Thanks in advance)

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Ha... That was my first thought, too ...

The facility requires complete private funding. No help is coming from the school, apart from some fundraising assistance from the Foundation. 18 million is the price tag, hopefully that will come down some.

The school will announce the project as private donor commits hit 10 million and likely will move forward with the project at around 14 millionish.

The Iowa City group that I am part of is about 5 million and hopefully that number becomes 6. There are 3 others at 1 million each. "We" are/have/will approach(ed) a number of other 7 figure potential individuals and groups. I won't name names or groups here but I do feel that 14 million is possible in "fall".

If anyone here knows of anyone or a group who';d like to contribute, lmk. Bob Nicolls 303-840-5205.

Tom will drop anything he is up to, and meet with folks. There is a core group of folks working on this who won't stop till it is done. Very uplifting as we all have day and sometimes night jobs too, Tom included.

Let me also say that Tom has done everything to improve the program to put us back on top. Naturally there are alot of contributors including the whole staff (kudos to M* on his great recruiting), Randy N and the HWC board for all the fundraising they do, and many others that are either simply too numerous to name or I just do not know. This years lineup will certainly compete for a Nat title, and we are set up great thereafter.

PSU will be our chief rival for years to come. They have a great facility and their Club program is well funded. They push the limits in other areas too which are certainly grey in my mind. I had the occasion to have lunch with their main benefactor last month. A great guy who is MR PSU and pushing/contributing hard for them to stay on top. We should not kid ourselves into thinking they will ever lose their edge.

We need to continue to be fans and help HWC. This is a big piece of the puzzle that we can help match what essentially is being driven by one guy who supports PSU.

They have something we don't have, a top 5 facility. We need to get this done and not lose a recruit in this Arms race. It has happened and will happen again if this is not fixed.

The facility requires complete private funding. No help is coming from the school, apart from some fundraising assistance from the Foundation. 18 million is the price tag, hopefully that will come down some.

The school will announce the project as private donor commits hit 10 million and likely will move forward with the project at around 14 millionish.

The Iowa City group that I am part of is about 5 million and hopefully that number becomes 6. There are 3 others at 1 million each. "We" are/have/will approach(ed) a number of other 7 figure potential individuals and groups. I won't name names or groups here but I do feel that 14 million is possible in "fall".

If anyone here knows of anyone or a group who';d like to contribute, lmk. Bob Nicolls 303-840-5205.

Tom will drop anything he is up to, and meet with folks. There is a core group of folks working on this who won't stop till it is done. Very uplifting as we all have day and sometimes night jobs too, Tom included.

Let me also say that Tom has done everything to improve the program to put us back on top. Naturally there are alot of contributors including the whole staff (kudos to M* on his great recruiting), Randy N and the HWC board for all the fundraising they do, and many others that are either simply too numerous to name or I just do not know. This years lineup will certainly compete for a Nat title, and we are set up great thereafter.

PSU will be our chief rival for years to come. They have a great facility and their Club program is well funded. They push the limits in other areas too which are certainly grey in my mind. I had the occasion to have lunch with their main benefactor last month. A great guy who is MR PSU and pushing/contributing hard for them to stay on top. We should not kid ourselves into thinking they will ever lose their edge.

We need to continue to be fans and help HWC. This is a big piece of the puzzle that we can help match what essentially is being driven by one guy who supports PSU.

They have something we don't have, a top 5 facility. We need to get this done and not lose a recruit in this Arms race. It has happened and will happen again if this is not fixed.

Is there a website I could share with the Twin Cities I Club (and that could be shared with all I Clubs) where the plan is laid out, what it will cost, how it will impact the future, etc?

Honestly, I don't think many people know this in the works and if you make people aware, who knows what happens.

Also, would you take their money now or are you just gathering names and their commitment? If there is a website to direct people to, could they sign up/commit there?

I would think that if this got communicated to the I Clubs around the country and people started making commitments, you could raise some serious money.

Just my 2 cents, but what do I know, I just coach basketball ;)

Is there a website I could share with the Twin Cities I Club (and that could be shared with all I Clubs) where the plan is laid out, what it will cost, how it will impact the future, etc?

Honestly, I don't think many people know this in the works and if you make people aware, who knows what happens.

Also, would you take their money now or are you just gathering names and their commitment? If there is a website to direct people to, could they sign up/commit there?

I would think that if this got communicated to the I Clubs around the country and people started making commitments, you could raise some serious money.

Fran, give the Iclub members Kevin Collins email, Kevin.Collins@foriowa.org, from the Iowa Foundation, to follow up on how to make a pledge for the new facility.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye

Thanks for the update Bob and thank you and the rest of the "big" donors who are pouring blood and treasure into this. It's very disappointing that the university does not want to contribute even a 1/4.

Thanks for the update Bob and thank you and the rest of the "big" donors who are pouring blood and treasure into this. It's very disappointing that the university does not want to contribute even a 1/4.
That last part got me wondering. Will this be a University building then? Or will it be a private facility that the university uses or “rents”? Hopefully this doesn’t mean it is separate from the college room.

Reactions: IAChief32
That last part got me wondering. Will this be a University building then? Or will it be a private facility that the university uses or “rents”? Hopefully this doesn’t mean it is separate from the college room.
It will be a university facility and will very much be the college room, as well as the headquarters for the HWC. And it’s going to be phenomenal. Quite literally the best wrestling facility in the world.

Since the facility is University related, can we get a tent/booth set up on game day close to the stadium to get pledges?
A fundraising drive appealing to the general public will occur once the larger scale donors have all committed and sufficient funds have been raised to prompt an official launch of the project. Would be awesome if this happened during football season, as a booth like you describe would be cool.

With or without such a booth, though, I’m confident that Hawk fans will want to be part of the effort to construct the greatest wrestling facility in history and will step up in a big way to close the deal.

It will be a university facility and will very much be the college room, as well as the headquarters for the HWC. And it’s going to be phenomenal. Quite literally the best wrestling facility in the world.

This will be true only if the facility matches (or exceeds) what was laid out last year in Todd Conner's inspiring blog post. Chris, you're an amazingly positive person, and I'm a big-time visionary, so I hesitate saying this, but...knowing how institutions proceed with projects, and how original plans are pared down in the construction phases, I seriously doubt that the final facility will come close to being the best in the world....BUT IT SHOULD BE!! and can be, except people with limited vision will be involved. :(

Reactions: LittlePeen
This will be true only if the facility matches (or exceeds) what was laid out last year in Todd Conner's inspiring blog post. Chris, you're an amazingly positive person, and I'm a big-time visionary, so I hesitate saying this, but...knowing how institutions proceed with projects, and how original plans are pared down in the construction phases, I seriously doubt that the final facility will come close to being the best in the world....BUT IT SHOULD BE!! and can be, except people with limited vision will be involved. :(
I hear what you are saying, but being quite realistic, I have absolutely no doubt that it will be the finest wrestling facility in the world.

This is a very determined group putting it together, and I would not bet against them. Extensive research has been done and facilities around the world have been evaluated. This one will top them all, I have no doubt whatsoever. That’s not to say that it will have every “bell and whistle” envisioned originally, but I’m confident it will still be the best.

Last edited:
I agree with Mendoza in respect to how public projects and University contraction typically goes.

With that said...we raise the $$ they are all for it.

Would be very helpful if Gary Barta of admin would publicly say they support our project, fundraising efforts etc.

Lol WTF

That ridiculousness aside, this is where the Jane Meyer situation wIll prove to be a worthy investment.

I agree with Mendoza in respect to how public projects and University contraction typically goes.

With that said...we raise the $$ they are all for it.

Would be very helpful if Gary Barta of admin would publicly say they support our project, fundraising efforts etc.

Looks like it is time for us all to flood Barta's inbox asking for him to publicly support the best wrestling facility in the world. We got this Hawkeye nation.

WTF, so this is going to be a university facility, but yet the university is NOT helping out with any of the money?!?!?
meanwhile, if the Iowa's men's basketball coach (me) is fired, he (me) gets $10M.

maybe we should tell Barta to not fire the men's basketball coach this year and instead allocate the $10M that would have been paid to the men's basketball coach to the wrestling facility.

Problem solved.

Just a thought.

;)

From HawkCentral.com:

The new contract says that McCaffery would be owed $10.2 million if he’s fired without cause before July 1, 2018 — up from $4.6 million under the previously amended deal in 2016.

Last edited:
Looks like it is time for us all to flood Barta's inbox asking for him to publicly support the best wrestling facility in the world. We got this Hawkeye nation.

I have him on speed dial since I report to the bastard. In case you don't, here you go:

• GARY BARTA PHONE

319-335-9435

Last edited:

Thank you very much for the information. Great information ... Cheers to you for the work you do.

There is not a website presently, but that is a good idea. I have a cuz who could create one. Thankyou for the idea. If you call the number I provided, I can coordinate getting you the renderings and discuss the project.

We are just getting commits now, but once we hit 10 million, the Foundation will be preparing the standard docs for donations. The donations can be over 5-6 years and are fully tax deductible.

Fran, give the Iclub members Kevin Collins email, Kevin.Collins@foriowa.org, from the Iowa Foundation, to follow up on how to make a pledge for the new facility.

Kevin is involved. However, I would suggest that if you are part of a group of Hawk fans in a particular region or town, that you or someone there begin to contact your folks on your own. Kevin can assist with that, but it'll be more effective in the end. I can get you started with the material we have and what I have sent to the "Iowa City" group. As I said, this is all private and while the Foundation is helping, I believe we will be more effective inserting ourselves into the process of fundraising.

Contact me at the number provided and we can go from there.

I believe as presently designed, it will be the best facility in the world. If we can get donors to pay for it, there is no reason to pare it down.

I have him on speed dial since I report to the bastard. In case you don't, here you go:

• GARY BARTA PHONE

319-335-9435

All,

While I would not discourage you from contacting Gary, the response will be the same as what I have previously noted. Once we have over 10 million in commits, then the school will announce.

What we need now is for anyone here to identify groups or people who would be interested in donating. I can provide letters, renderings that I've sent to the "Iowa City group". We are very close to the 10 million mark, so this is the most effective way of pushing this project forward. Calling or emailing Gary right now is simply a waste of time. He already gave us the marching orders a month or so ago.

(I meant to quote IAChief here.......)
WTF, so this is going to be a university facility, but yet the university is NOT helping out with any of the money?!?!?

Right

There are other priorities of construction projects ahead of this one. So, if this is going to get done, it has to be with private dough. We can bitch about it all we want, but that is the reality.

Allow me to say for the record that Bob Nicolls is THE MAN. He’s obviously done a lot that the fans can see, but Bob has worked his tail off behind the scenes and has spent a lot of time, energy, and treasure to make this happen. Plus, his leadership has brought many others on board to multiply his impact. Hats off to Bob. What’s especially cool is that he doesn’t want anything in return beyond the satisfaction of making something special happen for a truly special program and for his university and “adopted” home state.

It’s also worth mentioning that there are some others who are more low-profile but have also made a huge impact. Hats off to them, as well. You know who you are, and you’re greatly appreciated.

Bob has been an indispensable leader, and we’re darn lucky he’s a Hawkeye, but it’s a team effort — and that makes it all the cooler.

Last, in case you didn’t have enough reasons to attend the DSM HWC golf outing already, I believe Bob will be joining us, and you can bet there will be lots of talk of the facility. Great opportunity to get the latest and hear it straight from the horses’ mouths.

All,

While I would not discourage you from contacting Gary, the response will be the same as what I have previously noted. Once we have over 10 million in commits, then the school will announce.

What we need now is for anyone here to identify groups or people who would be interested in donating. I can provide letters, renderings that I've sent to the "Iowa City group". We are very close to the 10 million mark, so this is the most effective way of pushing this project forward. Calling or emailing Gary right now is simply a waste of time. He already gave us the marching orders a month or so ago.
Thanks for all that you do and have done for the program. Thanks for the update and I meant well with my earlier post regarding contacting Barta.

1st goal = 10 Million to Announce the project
2nd Goal = 14 Million to Move forward
3rd Goal = 18 Million Estimated total cost

Raised so far = 8 million (Awesome BTW)

Donation Level (Donors Needed) to Reach 1st goal
$1,000.00 (2000)
$750.00 (2667)
$500.00 (4000)
$250.00 (8000)
$100.00 (20,000)
$50.00 (40,000)
$25.00 (80,000)

Obviously, Large donations drastically change donors required.

Want to contribute or start a group, call Bob Nicolls 303-840-5205.

Next Steps:
  1. Start a Local Group of Donors Interested in Pledging.
  2. Create Donation Tiers to Drive Donations
  3. Create a Website where Donors Can Pledge
  4. Market the Website to Alumni, HWC donors, etc

Last edited:
Thanks for all that you do and have done for the program. Thanks for the update and I meant well with my earlier post regarding contacting Barta.

I understand and did not mean to be rude. I too was very disappointed once I heard the school would do nothing. I then got over it and have gone down a different path of trying to get it done given the parameters.

Our biggest obstacle right now is lack of awareness of both the contemplated project and the fact our present facility is barely in the top 20 in the country.

This thread is a great way to tune everyone in. And as WWDM (Chris) mentioned, all dough counts in this team effort

1st goal = 10 Million to Announce the project
2nd Goal = 14 Million to Move forward
3rd Goal = 18 Million Estimated total cost

Raised so far = 5 million (awesome BTW)

Donation Level (Donors Needed)
$1,000.00 (5000)
$750.00 (6667)
$500.00 (10,000)
$250.00 (20,000)
$100.00 (50,000)
$50.00 (100,000)
$25.00 (200,000)

Obviously, Large donations drastically change donors required.

Want to contribute or start a group, call Bob Nicolls 303-840-5205.

Next Steps:
  1. Start a Local Group of Donors Interested in Pledging.
  2. Create Donation Tiers to Drive Donations
  3. Create a Website where Donors Can Pledge
  4. Market the Website to Alumni, HWC donors, etc

We've got commits of 8 million so far. Iowa City crowd of 5 (hope it ends up at 6), and 3 others at one mil each minimum. Maybe they go more.

(I meant to quote IAChief here.......)

With all the revenue pouring in from TV I don’t get why the program with the most national titles is not getting love from Gary. You should set up a non profit he could have given his 50k to you and deducted it

I understand and did not mean to be rude. I too was very disappointed once I heard the school would do nothing. I then got over it and have gone down a different path of trying to get it done given the parameters.

Our biggest obstacle right now is lack of awareness of both the contemplated project and the fact our present facility is barely in the top 20 in the country.

This thread is a great way to tune everyone in. And as WWDM (Chris) mentioned, all dough counts in this team effort
Let me know how / what i can communicate to the Twin Cities I Club.

Do we know if Iowa comes to Minnesota this year? Maybe there could be a pre-meet gathering where this is all discussed, where we can get Iowa alums like Chad Greenway to attend (he is a retired Viking but still lives in the area). I know they have him and former Viking/Hawkeyes on their email list. Maybe he could help market this thing, too, and help twist some arms (like his old college coach, perhaps). If Iowa is at N'western, maybe do the same thing with the Chicago I Club. Just some thoughts.

As I have stated above and in the past (and as you stated), I think there is a huge lack of awareness of where the current facility ranks and what is being proposed. But, I bet people (like Chad Greenway) would be willing to help (and contribute) once they got up to speed on where things stand and what the vision for the future is.

Reactions: HawkFT and honkey69
Opening the spring of 2019..
Wrestling-Practice-Facility-600x340.jpg

3n-600x340.jpg

5-600x340.jpg

Wrestling-Practice-Facility-600x340.jpg

sorry, I couldn't help myself.

ADVERTISEMENT