ADVERTISEMENT

So what's the latest timing on a potential new wrestling facility?

It's never too early, my friend. If you want to hop on board, just drop Kev and email and he'll be happy to take care of you. It takes him basically no time to have the paperwork sent. This applies to everyone. It's great to call Bob, too, but a quick email to Kev will do the trick, as well. Most will donate after the public campaign is launched, but there's nothing keeping anyone from jumping in right now. Heck -- some of us made our pledges a year ago and are already paying on them.

And your point is well-taken. . . . No amount is too small. Same concept as the Inner Circle. Just think of the tens of thousands of diehard Iowa wrestling fans out there. If everyone tossed in a little, this thing would be licked in no time. Nobody should feel like their donation would be too small, because it can't be. Lots of what some might consider "small" donations amount to a huge one.

And any donations from PA Hawk fans are appreciated all the more.;)

Well then, I'm "in".

Go Hawks!

Note from a veteran fundraising copywriter: PLEASE don't use the phrase, "no amount is too small". While that may indeed be the case, research shows that the phrase actually reduces the total amount of money raised. A donor who might give $50 is now encouraged to give $25 and the additional small donors you gain do not offset that loss.

Note from a veteran fundraising copywriter: PLEASE don't use the phrase, "no amount is too small". While that may indeed be the case, research shows that the phrase actually reduces the total amount of money raised. A donor who might give $50 is now encouraged to give $25 and the additional small donors you gain do not offset that loss.

+1
All donations are needed and appreciated may be better? But, I agree with your post, quickest way to incentivize a lower donation.

That would never be part of a fundraising campaign. I was referring specifically to 1414 who seemed to feel like $5,000 might be viewed as inconsequential, when it’s far from that. In addition, nobody else should feel like a smaller amount would be viewed as inconsequential, either. All of us obviously have varying budgets, and those with less discretionary income shouldn’t feel like their donations would be valued any less than others, as they add up.

That said, of course we’re advocating for large donations when feasible. I’ll steer clear of that phrase going forward. Not the best choice of words.

Last edited:
In general if you don't know who the fool in the thread is.....ahhh never mind you wouldn't understand anyway....

This is a good thread, lets please keep it that way. We are all on this board because we love Iowa Wrestling. I think we can agree that a new facility will greatly enhance the program, and be a lot of fun for us to visit.....Hall of Fame, practices, offices etc. I heard that one of the potential large contributors has also verbaled a million (not my contact), so that we might be around 9 million now.

I'll get after the rest of my crew so we float from 5 to 6, and use GG's pointer from above. Earlier this year Tom and I agreed that our fundraising technique would be to; push, pull, tickle and call out pussies. I have not had to use latter yet, and while I have rec'd one "no", it was not a "f**k no", so I might use that "later" later on him.

Last edited:
This is a good thread, lets please keep it that way. We are all on this board because we love Iowa Wrestling. I think we can agree that a new facility will greatly enhance the program, and be a lot of fun for us to visit.....Hall of Fame, practices, offices etc. I heard that one of the potential large contributors has also verbaled a million (not my contact), so that we might be around 9 million now.

I'll get after the rest of my crew so we float from 5 to 6, and use GG's pointer from above. Earlier this year Tom and I agreed that our fundraising technique would be to; push, pull, tickle and call out pussies. I have not had to use later yet, and while I have rec'd one "no", it was not a "f**k no", so I might use that "later" later on him.
I love the exchanging of ideas and information in this thread. It's exciting to see all of this passion about Iowa wrestling. Iowa truly does have the best fans in college wrestling. Amazing to think the amount of money raised to date. I'm excited for when the project officially gets announced ... Anxious to see renderings, etc. And anxious to help spread the word about the new facility ... Good stuff all the way around!

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Tom and I agreed that our fundraising technique would be to; push, pull,......

Your "push, pull" comment reminded me of Tom in Terry's corner at the 1999 World Team Trials, imploring Terry to "push, pull" against Guerrero.

I imagine you talking to a potential donor with Tom in the corner of your office, "Push, pull", "push, pull", "snap him".

how awesome is it as hawk fans to have someone like bob nicolls not only be a part of our historic program, but to add to the awesomeness he comes on to HR (dumpster fire) to talk to us, shoot the shit, and share these kind of details?!!!

just wanted to say thank you for that, bob.

pretty excited for what's in store for our hawks!

My guess is that no one on our edge of the world knows more about direct mail fundraising than GG. I'd suggest that we take this advice.

Last edited:
Let me know how / what i can communicate to the Twin Cities I Club.

Do we know if Iowa comes to Minnesota this year? Maybe there could be a pre-meet gathering where this is all discussed, where we can get Iowa alums like Chad Greenway to attend (he is a retired Viking but still lives in the area). I know they have him and former Viking/Hawkeyes on their email list. Maybe he could help market this thing, too, and help twist some arms (like his old college coach, perhaps). If Iowa is at N'western, maybe do the same thing with the Chicago I Club. Just some thoughts.

As I have stated above and in the past (and as you stated), I think there is a huge lack of awareness of where the current facility ranks and what is being proposed. But, I bet people (like Chad Greenway) would be willing to help (and contribute) once they got up to speed on where things stand and what the vision for the future is.
You live in the twin cities but report to barta?

how awesome is it as hawk fans to have someone like bob nicolls not only be a part of our historic program, but to add to the awesomeness he comes on to HR (dumpster fire) to talk to us, shoot the shit, and share these kind of details?!!!

just wanted to say thank you for that, bob.

pretty excited for what's in store for our hawks!
Amen to your comments.

Reactions: witherman
The HWC board of directors got an awesome presention today from Kevin Collins today on the new facility. We got to see some renderings, discuss process etc. Not much new to report but I'm more confident then ever that Kevin and his team ( Sloane Tyler was in the mtg as well) want this project to happen and are willing to work hard to help the process.

It sounds as if 10mm-- is within reach. By that I mean with some smart work we can get there in next 60 days.

That is important I think-- the feeling is with 50% of the money raised there is a good chance Gary Barta will say in public he supports the project, wants it to happen and lets get that final 10mm raised ! Thats what I think needs to happen and my personal frustration is why not now-- my gut feeling is that we have fans that want to make a difference-- that this passion for Iowa wrestling and pride we have will kick in and that last 10mm will get there.

Gary Barta and Tom Brands standing side by side with the drawings,support will energize the base of fans and corporations to get us past our goal.

I'm more optimistic then I have ever been-- Kevin Collins is a true partner to the Iowa Wrestling program and HWC . After hearing and seeing what will happen--This facility will be the best wrestling training facility on the planet.

There is hard work and smart work to be done-- it wont be easy--but getting to the halfway point that is within reach--and having this be very public--I can see the end.

The HWC board of directors got an awesome presention today from Kevin Collins today on the new facility. We got to see some renderings, discuss process etc. Not much new to report but I'm more confident then ever that Kevin and his team ( Sloane Tyler was in the mtg as well) want this project to happen and are willing to work hard to help the process.

It sounds as if 10mm-- is within reach. By that I mean with some smart work we can get there in next 60 days.

That is important I think-- the feeling is with 50% of the money raised there is a good chance Gary Barta will say in public he supports the project, wants it to happen and lets get that final 10mm raised ! Thats what I think needs to happen and my personal frustration is why not now-- my gut feeling is that we have fans that want to make a difference-- that this passion for Iowa wrestling and pride we have will kick in and that last 10mm will get there.

Gary Barta and Tom Brands standing side by side with the drawings,support will energize the base of fans and corporations to get us past our goal.

I'm more optimistic then I have ever been-- Kevin Collins is a true partner to the Iowa Wrestling program and HWC . After hearing and seeing what will happen--This facility will be the best wrestling training facility on the planet.

There is hard work and smart work to be done-- it wont be easy--but getting to the halfway point that is within reach--and having this be very public--I can see the end.
Amen, brother! Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: MARION_HAWK

Thank you for the update. It's nice hearing about how things are progressing with the proposed new facility. Thanks again for sharing and Go Hawks!

Reactions: Huck
Why the hell are you so concerned about Fran? Shouldn't you be more concerned about yourself? How about you spend the next week reading self-help books on how to be happy because you are clearly the most miserable, unhappy poster on this board. Everyone knows you like to give your opinion about eveything, so why don't you give everyone a break from your posts and spend the time working on improving yourself.
I thought I was the only one Spooner aggravates with his negativity. I hope I spelled everything correctly or else the forum police will be all over my S**t!

I thought I was the only one Spooner aggravates with his negativity. I hope I spelled everything correctly or else the forum police will be all over my S**t!
You most definitely are NOT the only one who is irritated by his negativity. Also many of those posts from WeH8St*Hawk have a lot of H8 in them. But I appreciate their expertise, so I don't "ignore" them.

Iowa wrestles in Minneapolis this January.

The B1G Championships are in Minneapolis in March.

If you want to have a gathering before the Jan meet or sometime during the March B1G Championships (might be a better idea since Iowa fans would probably be traveling from all over), I think that would be really cool. Get Iowa fans together for some drinks and food, maybe Tom/Terry/Dan Gable/etc could be there and you could show the fans what the future looks like, what the HWC is all about and what the Inner Circle is all about and how fans can be part of it all (I just got goose bumps typing that!). I am not on the Twin Cities I Club board but the contact info for the Twin Cities Iowa Club follows.

This is an email message, ironically, that I got today from the Club President:

if you have ideas for future club activities, please let us know at alumni-twincities@uiowa.edu. To stay up-to-date, please check out our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

On Iowa!

Nick Satariano (08BBA)
President, Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St Paul) IOWA Club
alumni-twincities@uiowa.edu

You most definitely are NOT the only one who is irritated by his negativity. Also many of those posts from WeH8St*Hawk have a lot of H8 in them. But I appreciate their expertise, so I don't "ignore" them.
Come work where I work brother. You get to see the worst of the worst and the DOC doesn't even let us refer to them as inmates anymore. They are now clients or Incarcerated Individuals. These guys have raped, murdered and molested people and we can't call them inmates, are you f'ING serious. At the institutions, they have sand volleyball, Softball field, soccer field, footall field, cornhole bags games, horseshoe pits, basketball courts, hand ball court, tennis court, largest concrete weight yard in Iowa, ping pong tables, 10 Xbox ones on every unit, pizza window, ice cream window, steaks with bar b q grills. Sorry for the rant but it is infuriating.

Come work where I work brother. You get to see the worst of the worst and the DOC doesn't even let us refer to them as inmates anymore. They are now clients or Incarcerated Individuals. These guys have raped, murdered and molested people and we can't call them inmates, are you f'ING serious. At the institutions, they have sand volleyball, Softball field, soccer field, footall field, cornhole bags games, horseshoe pits, basketball courts, hand ball court, tennis court, largest concrete weight yard in Iowa, ping pong tables, 10 Xbox ones on every unit, pizza window, ice cream window, steaks with bar b q grills. Sorry for the rant but it is infuriating.
You had me at DOC. Can't imagine the shit you deal with.

Reactions: WEH8ST8HAWK

This is nearly entirely fabricated. Carry on.

Reactions: JTSPSU
ZZJapmg.gif

Iowa wrestles in Minneapolis this January.

The B1G Championships are in Minneapolis in March.

If you want to have a gathering before the Jan meet or sometime during the March B1G Championships (might be a better idea since Iowa fans would probably be traveling from all over), I think that would be really cool. Get Iowa fans together for some drinks and food, maybe Tom/Terry/Dan Gable/etc could be there and you could show the fans what the future looks like, what the HWC is all about and what the Inner Circle is all about and how fans can be part of it all (I just got goose bumps typing that!). I am not on the Twin Cities I Club board but the contact info for the Twin Cities Iowa Club follows.

This is an email message, ironically, that I got today from the Club President:

if you have ideas for future club activities, please let us know at alumni-twincities@uiowa.edu. To stay up-to-date, please check out our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

On Iowa!

Nick Satariano (08BBA)
President, Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St Paul) IOWA Club
alumni-twincities@uiowa.edu

Fran

Give me a call so we can organize an event

bob nicolls

Austin Blythe would be a good one to talk to.

Austin Blythe doesn't have serious NFL money. He signed a 2.4 million dollar contract. NFL players have short careers and need to invest in themselves and their health.

Mike Daniels is the guy to talk to if anyone has a connection. 41 million dollar contract. Former Hawk. Former wrestler.

Austin Blythe doesn't have serious NFL money. He signed a 2.4 million dollar contract. NFL players have short careers and need to invest in themselves and their health.

Mike Daniels is the guy to talk to if anyone has a connection. 41 million dollar contract. Former Hawk. Former wrestler.

First off, it's funny that you made it sound like Blythe will be in the poor house with that piddly contract. Second, the reason he was mentioned likely wasn't his NFL money. At least it wasn't the #1 reason.

Is there an NCAA rule against coaches contributing? I believe there was a coach on staff who helped recruit SL?

Off topic, but i was closing the fishing cabin in northern Ontario last week and had some wild dreams. One was that we auctioned off a trip for HWC and I got to escort the winners, coaches, and a couple wrestlers for the week.. (its a long drive, but could potentially be something to chew on the logistics about). The (almost) relevant part to this thread was that while up there, Barta and TnT finalized some paperwork and were prepared to announce the project was officially a go. Still in my dream mind you, I had to fight the urge to come report it back to the cesspool. It was one of those dreams that felt incredibly lucid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin
We’ve been up to Perrault Falls for the last 3 years. What a great getaway.
I have an in for custom made fishing rods which I’d be willing to donate for the raffle winners. The guy can make virtually anything you want.

Reactions: just_somebody
First off, it's funny that you made it sound like Blythe will be in the poor house with that piddly contract. Second, the reason he was mentioned likely wasn't his NFL money. At least it wasn't the #1 reason.

2.4 million over 4 years is nothing for an NFL player. They're risking their health/CTE. He could have a career ending injury before getting his big nfl contract. As an NFL player, you should never have to work again after playing for 4 years. That's only true if you invest very wisely while you're a player.

He simply doesn't have the NFL money to make a major donation like a player such as Daniels has.

Not sure if you know who Mike Daniels is. He is an Alumnus and former hs wrestler. He has serious NFL money. No he didn't wrestle hs in Iowa but he's spoken about his wrestling background a lot in the past and I'm sure he's aware of the history of Iowa wrestling. I'm not one to cold contact rich ppl asking for donations but if there is a connection somewhere he's a guy that'd make sense to be reaching out to.

I'm assuming Blythe was brought up since his grandfather is Ron Holden, who had his seed company bought out by Monsanto for about $1 billion.

Reactions: Gobblin
2.4 million over 4 years is nothing for an NFL player. They're risking their health/CTE. He could have a career ending injury before getting his big nfl contract. As an NFL player, you should never have to work again after playing for 4 years. That's only true if you invest very wisely while you're a player.

He simply doesn't have the NFL money to make a major donation like a player such as Daniels has.

Not sure if you know who Mike Daniels is. He is an Alumnus and former hs wrestler. He has serious NFL money. No he didn't wrestle hs in Iowa but he's spoken about his wrestling background a lot in the past and I'm sure he's aware of the history of Iowa wrestling. I'm not one to cold contact rich ppl asking for donations but if there is a connection somewhere he's a guy that'd make sense to be reaching out to.

Well, I'd disagree that contract can set someone for life. Seems unlikely. And that kind of scratch is more than 90% of this board makes. But I digress--what I believe was being referred to isn't his NFL money. The Blythe's sold their seed company some time ago for a massive amount.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT