ADVERTISEMENT

So What's The Response When Trump Nominates And They're Confirmed?

I find this notion that one team (D or R) is more/less morally corrupt than the other laughable.

This is what people say when they know their team is dirty AF. Insert the "I'm not a republican, I just defend every single decision they make" post here. And then I try to make myself feel better about it by convincing myself that "both parties are the same".

giphy.gif

Oh really. lol... So only Kegan and Sotomayor will decide RvW?

Which shouldn't be necessary, but there's a lot more impact than just Roe v. Wade.

I understand then you just dislike the make up of the Court. The Court works fine when it works against you but totally screwed up when it doesn’t.

We all have a ticket on that train. And we ALL have an interest in seeing that it doesn't go off the rails.
Why and how did we get to such a division in this country? Why have we ALL allowed this to happen? Our country must survive.

Cable news, AM radio personalities, and social media full of reaffirming misinformation. It hasn’t just duped the stupid people in our populace. It has duped everyone who consumes it.

I understand then you just dislike the make up of the Court. The Court works fine when it works against you but totally screwed up when it doesn’t.

Umm...right.

Anyway, there are many decisions that this Supreme Court will make, that it already has made, that is harming people and is dismantling our democracy.

Reactions: mstp1992
They should, in a perfect world. We already know that Alito, Thomas, and Kavanaugh want to overturn it based on the fact they’re pricks. Gorsuch appreciates precedent, as does Roberts. So, there’s hope.
I'm not even primarily interested in abortion. Dems even with control of the Congress and the Presidency won't be able to legislate. Obamacare will be ruled unconstitutional and thrown out. There are indications that a near majority already exists on the court to overturn the post New Deal regulatory state.

People talk about FDR backing down on court packing, but that only occurred because of the "switch in time that saved 9", the Supreme Court Justice who flipped on the question of invalidating New Deal legislation.

Umm...right.

Anyway, there are many decisions that this Supreme Court will make, that it already has made, that is harming people and is dismantling our democracy.

So you’re an equal opportunity SCOTUS disliker.

Traveling to another state is a minimal inconvenience if one is desired.
But the corner drugstore where responsible persons of both - (or all) - sexes can buy preventative products are always convenient.

But the corner drugstore where responsible persons of both - (or all) - sexes can buy preventative products are always convenient.
Shit happens even with the best of intentions. My wife is physically unable to carry a child, and we unfortunately experienced an apparent product failure despite our best efforts. It was medically necessary that she terminate the pregnancy. Nobody, not you, not Trump, not the ultra right wing nut jobs, can tell me that we made the wrong decision or that it was somehow a sin or that it should be considered illegal. Anybody who does can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: nelly02
Shit happens even with the best of intentions. My wife is physically unable to carry a child, and we unfortunately experienced an apparent product failure despite our best efforts. It was medically necessary that she terminate the pregnancy. Nobody, not you, not Trump, not the ultra right wing nut jobs, can tell me that we made the wrong decision or that it was somehow a sin or that it should be considered illegal. Anybody who does can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.
Don't confuse my remarks about using contraception with thinking that a woman doesn't have the right to choose.

Conservatives should actually be pro-choice and support Roe v Wade since they try to pass themselves off as the champions of personal freedoms and liberties.

Maybe you ought to worry about your beliefs instead of telling others how they should believe.

Reactions: farmandfleet
Nobody, not you, not Trump, not the ultra right wing nut jobs, can tell me that we made the wrong decision or that it was somehow a sin or that it should be considered illegal. Anybody who does can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Oh good grief.

Reactions: farmandfleet
Both had been illegal and there continues to be a significant number of people who want to impose their beliefs by making them illegal again. There are ultra right wing nut jobs who would sell their souls for this to happen. You simply cannot deny that fact.

The sufferage and slavery are there for the pickin’s.

Yep people have opinions on how they want government to move. Your position is your choices are legally defensible. However a who sincerely hold a different pov than you are minimized, bots,idiots, etc.

The sufferage and slavery are there for the pickin’s.

Yep people have opinions on how they want government to move. Your position is your choices are legally defensible. However a who sincerely hold a different pov than you are minimized, bots,idiots, etc.
I don’t believe in imposing beliefs on another person. If you’re anti-abortion, then don’t have one. If you’re against same-sex marriage, then don’t try to marry someone the same sex as you.

It’s actually a more conservative point of view than Republicans of today.

Tell me this, how does the legalization of same-sex marriage impact anyone other than those being married?

I don’t believe in imposing beliefs on another person. If you’re anti-abortion, then don’t have one. If you’re against same-sex marriage, then don’t try to marry someone the same sex as you.

Tell me this, how does the legalization of same-sex marriage impact anyone other than those being married?

That's one of my favorite things ever in Iowa history. Iowa had no gay marriage for 150 years and that's not good enough for Bob Vanderplaats and the religious right in Iowa so they elect representatives to ban gay marriage and gave LGBT advocates an opportunity to challenge in court and Iowa became a gay marriage destination for a few years before it was allowed everywhere.

I’m pro gay marriage and have been since the early 80’s.

tl;dr my best guess (although I am often wrong): a major dem win in November despite more protests and riots. This leads to expansion of the court and 2 new states. Republicans will fire back eventually but it will be at least 2025 before they have enough firepower.
————————
Pre-election
  • More peaceful protests and unfortunately more isolated cases of dumbass riots. The extremists on the far left (and simple opportunists) do mainstream Dems no favors with the property destruction madness, but I assume it will happen
  • More money into dem coffers, plus a motivated base leads to Dems taking both the presidency and as a result the senate (50/50 split is my best guess - Dems lose Alabama, win Colorado, Maine, Arizona, and NC, all others hold serve). Law and order message continues to solidify Trump’s base, but is not resonating with suburban women per the latest polling I saw over the weekend. I see moderate suburbanites continuing the 2018 voting trend despite riots referenced above.
Post election the Dems will come out firing with a combo of the following:
  • Make Puerto Rico and DC states. The population of these areas are under represented American citizens paying federal taxes. Puerto Rico is larger than Iowa and DC is larger than Vermont and Wyoming
  • Pandemic goes away late 2021/early 2022 leading to a surging economy. Gives Dems even greater strength heading into mid term elections
  • More justices. Yes Republicans will fire back when they have the majority...but when will that be? With 2 new states it would be 54/50 for the Dems. Where and when will Republicans regain four seats? Arizona, Georgia, Texas, Nevada, North Carolina etc are all becoming a deeper shade of purple over time. To win these battlegrounds the conservatives will have to embrace independent moderate voters, so expect major reformation in party policy post Trump. It might be enough to win in Nov 2024, but not earlier IMO

Slight correction here: Puerto Ricans do not pay federal income tax.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
Traveling to another state is a minimal inconvenience if one is desired.

Just like waiting a week or two for a firearm. Or not being allowed to own an assault rifle or bump stock. Or other guns. Minor inconveniences, correct?

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Hope you enjoy having to buy a new flag when Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. are granted statehood under a Democratic Congress and President Biden. 🙂
Won’t happen. I have 100 that says so. Since we know each other I’m good for it. Deal?

I feel sorry for you and your wife. That sucks.

But that sad situation is miles different than a termination done as a method of eliminating an inconvenience. Ones opinion one way or the other notwithstanding, they are different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT