Fox News
MSNBC
& My local news

I read a lot from NPR

Reactions: NoleATL
TYT
Jimmy Dore
Ben Shapiro

If you're watching anything on cable, you aren't really watching the news.

youre-a-crazy-bitch-sassy-gay-friend.gif

TYT
Jimmy Dore
Ben Shapiro

If you're watching anything on cable, you aren't really watching the news.
I agree with your last statement, and I'll add that your list isn't really news, either. It is carefully curated, selective, narrowly targeted spinoffs of this cable stuff that you criticize.

I listen to Democracy Now! in the morning. It is most definitely left-leaning (in today's media landscape), but I appreciate it for being independently-produced, for bringing in actual experts in their respective fields to discuss current issues, and for letting those experts actually talk without constant interruption. I also appreciate the breadth and depth of their coverage of issues. And further, I appreciate how well-organized their website is so that I can go deeper into any particular issue and read more. Lastly, it is fascinating to go into their video/audio archives and watch/listen to broadcasts from years past. It reaffirms what they're doing, for one, but also provides very legitimate insight into how different issues progress/regress over time.

Beyond that I mostly read. I get the NY Times Sunday Edition to my door. Still love to read actual printed material. I maintain that something different happens, something better, when material is read on a medium that doesn't serve up constant interruption as part of its formatting. I also appreciate that the Sunday edition allows for issues to be covered with a little bit of time for resolutions of sorts. Daily editions, be they online or print, are too much driven by competition for eyeballs.

And for the same reasons as already mentioned, I read the Atlantic regularly, and fairly regularly the Intercept.

I seek out investigative journalism, often the journalists who are (not coincidentally) the least commercial.

I almost never watch CNN, msnbc, FoxNews or anything that stops every 5 minutes to sell me some product. I abhor all of it, and I'm hoping this country's appetite for it is close to running its course.

I agree with your last statement, and I'll add that your list isn't really news, either. It is carefully curated, selective, narrowly targeted spinoffs of this cable stuff that you criticize.

I listen to Democracy Now! in the morning. It is most definitely left-leaning (in today's media landscape), but I appreciate it for being independently-produced, for bringing in actual experts in their respective fields to discuss current issues, and for letting those experts actually talk without constant interruption. I also appreciate the breadth and depth of their coverage of issues. And further, I appreciate how well-organized their website is so that I can go deeper into any particular issue and read more. Lastly, it is fascinating to go into their video/audio archives and watch/listen to broadcasts from years past. It reaffirms what they're doing, for one, but also provides very legitimate insight into how different issues progress/regress over time.

Beyond that I mostly read. I get the NY Times Sunday Edition to my door. Still love to read actual printed material. I maintain that something different happens, something better, when material is read on a medium that doesn't serve up constant interruption as part of its formatting. I also appreciate that the Sunday edition allows for issues to be covered with a little bit of time for resolutions of sorts. Daily editions, be they online or print, are too much driven by competition for eyeballs.

And for the same reasons as already mentioned, I read the Atlantic regularly, and fairly regularly the Intercept.

I seek out investigative journalism, often the journalists who are (not coincidentally) the least commercial.

Those news sources are selectively targeting because they're mostly talking about stuff that the MSM has either wrongfully reported or completely ignored. I understand that they'll have their personal political preferences, but all media outlets have that, which is why I listen to both sides of the debate.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
google dot com. If a topic piques my interest, I go to google dot com and I open several browser tabs from the top results and read through them. I consider the source. I hate camera/broadcast news, I want to read news. And I usually end up at "I don't know" and then I vote with my gut.

CBS in the morning and nightly news. Heavily slanted to the left.

Other than these times I switch between CNN and Fox.

Those news sources are selectively targeting because they're mostly talking about stuff that the MSM has either wrongfully reported or completely ignored. I understand that they'll have their personal political preferences, but all media outlets have that, which is why I listen to both sides of the debate.
Yeah I didn't mean to suggest that they were the worst thing in the world. But as you said, they often pigeonhole themselves into being reactive to these MSM sources, rather than doing any raw/investigative journalism themselves.

They provide a service. I just feel this service is a bit dubious in its actual value.

CBS in the morning and nightly news. Heavily slanted to the left.

Other than these times I switch between CNN and Fox.
Honest question: why do you perceive these sources to be heavily slanted to the left? And when (if not always) did you begin to feel this way?

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest that they were the worst thing in the world. But as you said, they often pigeonhole themselves into being reactive to these MSM sources, rather than doing any raw/investigative journalism themselves.

They provide a service. I just feel this service is a bit dubious in its actual value.

I don't know about that. Jimmy finds a lot of videos of people actually talking, which is more than what places like CNN do. CNN will do things like not playing the full video, or the video at all, and then paraphrase what the person said and meant. You don't get that editing BS from these other news sources.

I once heard a lady coworker say "I watch a lot of Fox News, I'm pretty well informed."

I was paralyzed, just staring at her. Once I was able to speak I told her that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say, ever, and I spend a lot of time on HROT. CSB

I once heard a lady coworker say "I watch a lot of Fox News, I'm pretty well informed."

I was paralyzed, just staring at her. Once I was able to speak I told her that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say, ever, and I spend a lot of time on HROT. CSB
Yeah, but there's also a lot of shitty TV media elsewhere and it is mostly left-leaning. I've heard people say that the truth is left-leaning, and I believe that to an extent (so many contradictions when you have two choices), but there is mostly pure garbage in left-leaning news media. It all sucks. We can't have an objective take from a news writer because it's unreasonable to expect that of a person. The people who do the news have a point of view also and however professional they are, their starting point is either profitable financially or profitable in terms of profile.

Honest question: why do you perceive these sources to be heavily slanted to the left? And when (if not always) did you begin to feel this way?

When CBS covers 7 political stories in the morning and all of them are anti trump or anti republican it's not hard to figure out their agenda. Sprinkle in the "white person kills black person" stories and it further solidifies things.

I started feeing this way when I was about 26, 4 years removed from college. Up until then I swallowed the news and assumed it was true.

Reactions: NI hawk
If you can find a news source that does not try to
manufacture the daily news, and only reports it,
then let me know. News Anchors slant the news
and News Reporters give it their own spin.

- The Wall Street Journal is the main one. This is an everyday back-to-front read. The editorial page of the WSJ is an absolute must read in my view.

After that, in kind of descending order.

- The New York Post (online)
- Bloomberg (online)
- Google News
- Las Vegas Review Journal
- Der Spiegel (online) for the European view. This is not really an online read. It is an email version, that is sent out 2-3 times a week with 6-8 highlighted stories each time.
- Fox News

- The Wall Street Journal is the main one. This is an everyday back-to-front read. The editorial page of the WSJ is an absolute must read in my view.

After that, in kind of descending order.

- The New York Post (online)
- Bloomberg (online)
- Google News
- Las Vegas Review Journal
- Der Spiegel (online) for the European view. This is not really an online read. It is an email version, that is sent out 2-3 times a week with 6-8 highlighted stories each time.
- Fox News

WSJ, then NYPost!?!?!? I had no idea there was any intersection between those two groups of readers. That's just bizarre. You're talking about one of the greatest sources of news of all time, followed by a fake news factory.

I get "heads up" from all kinds of places on the Internets, then read newspapers and newspaper web sites for the whole truth and in depth reporting.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
WSJ, then NYPost!?!?!? I had no idea there was any intersection between those two groups of readers. That's just bizarre. You're talking about one of the greatest sources of news of all time, followed by a fake news factory.

I get "heads up" from all kinds of places on the Internets, then read newspapers and newspaper web sites for the whole truth and in depth reporting.

I love the Post!

They have a good editorial page and are a decent counterweight to The New York Times. The best stuff though is their crime reporting. New York has the best crime ... and the Post offers the best coverage. They are also very good at scandal reporting. (Ask Anthony Weiner/Carlos Danger!) ... and they are very true to the high editorial standards of HROT. (Pictures required)

Keep in mind that it is owned by Murdoch/News Corp, and is therefore a sister publication of the WSJ ... and Fox.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT