ADVERTISEMENT

So who will be candidates for returners now?

Yah, but the thing about that is this: Jones couldn't throw the ball to himself, so he's headed somewhere that has a QB who will get him the ball. Have you ever thought about how damn frustrating it is for a WR to run a great route, get open, and have the QB either not throw to him or throw the ball 10 yards in front of or behind him, time after time?

And when you are the best return man in the entire BIG--better than the guys at Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and everywhere else--then you're pretty damn good. Charlie Jones was pretty damn good. We'll see if Iowa is plug-n-play with returners. It hasn't been for 23 years, but maybe this is the year. And then that 123rd-ranked offense is still ready to rock too. LOL
So did the other 10 guys on the return teams do their jobs well, or is this all on Jones?

With no prior knowledge I'd have to say his video is impressive as a receiver, punt and kick returner. Someone above said he a blazer and I agree. If he gets to the corner first, he's long gone. That might be our #4 receiver.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Yah, but the thing about that is this: Jones couldn't throw the ball to himself, so he's headed somewhere that has a QB who will get him the ball. Have you ever thought about how damn frustrating it is for a WR to run a great route, get open, and have the QB either not throw to him or throw the ball 10 yards in front of or behind him, time after time?

And when you are the best return man in the entire BIG--better than the guys at Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and everywhere else--then you're pretty damn good. Charlie Jones was pretty damn good. We'll see if Iowa is plug-n-play with returners. It hasn't been for 23 years, but maybe this is the year. And then that 123rd-ranked offense is still ready to rock too. LOL
Iowa has been above average in the return game for a long time, so I’d say it’s pretty much plug-n-play. You’re just a malcontent.

Reactions: BBHawk
Punt returner is the big question as we’ll miss sure hands and the guts to make plays rather than fair catch it. I remember years where we hoped to just fair catch it and never flipped field position in the punt game when we received it.

Maybe he bought into the probable bs that things are gonna change or improve and realized it's not likely??
Spring practiced need a month ago. How long does he need to sort things out? Pretty sure it is something else as reason for portal
Iowa has been above average in the return game for a long time, so I’d say it’s pretty much plug-n-play. You’re just a malcontent.
There are many malcontents posting these days

Spring practiced need a month ago. How long does he need to sort things out? Pretty sure it is something else as reason for portal

There are many malcontents posting these days
I'm sure its not something he was quick to rush to a decision.
That said all any of us can do is guess

How many opportunities did he get last year? BF was clueless on how to use him and I’ll leave it at that.
Leave it that if you want, it's not true. BF and Iowa tried everything to force Tracy the ball early in the season, and he responded with drops. Letting the CSU CB rip an INT out of his hands comes to mind. For all their faults, Tracy's usage wasn't one of them, because it was very clear he was no longer effective.

He also had the 2nd lowest rate of catches to targets on the team at 14 of 28.

90% of Tracy's catches and targets came in the first six games last season. It became pretty clear early on when he couldn't hold onto the ball or get separation, so he got passed up.

The Iowa staff was willing to make a move to make it work when they asked him to move to RB after the season, but he declined (and now he's supposedly taking RB snaps at Purdue).

It became painfully clear that while Tracy is a great #3 option when you have Brandon Smith and ISM drawing attention away from him, but doesn't possess the route-running or level of separation to be a true number one guy.

Last edited:
Kind of crazy Iowa has lost four scholarship receivers since last Fall: Jones, Tracy, Hutson, and Mathews, and yet they only signed one WR in last year's class. They are going to need to sign several this year to get the numbers up. Mota is on board but I would guess they sign at least two more this year. It is a shame they couldn't sell Kasper on coming here.
Why do you need WR's when your passing attack consists of 3 yard outs?

Reactions: RomanHawk
Arland Bruce would be my bet for punt returner. He just seems like the kind of athlete that would excel there. And the staff seems to want to get him involved.

KR is more of a question mark for me. IDK.

There really are a lot of options for all the returning players. Wetjen looks like a remarkably good punt and kick return guy. Cooper and X are both good return options. Of course, Arland IV looks like a nice option at punt returner. Can't remember the name right now but we have really fast RB recruit that could run back kicks.

We usually have a pretty good return game. Desmond King, ISM, Charlie for example are all fairly recent outstanding return players. Athleticism has been trending up in the recruits. We have a good special team's coach. No reason we won't have a good to outstanding return game next season.​

Reactions: kceasthawk
With no prior knowledge I'd have to say his video is impressive as a receiver, punt and kick returner. Someone above said he a blazer and I agree. If he gets to the corner first, he's long gone. That might be our #4 receiver.
I learned a long time ago that highlights against lesser talent don't mean a lot. He might be great but put him on the field against D1 talent and things will likely look a little different.

I learned a long time ago that highlights against lesser talent don't mean a lot. He might be great but put him on the field against D1 talent and things will likely look a little different.
Same thing was said about Charlie.

One thing we can take from these videos is that he has the confidence and vision to do it. That's a start. He's not bowling over smaller players - He's out running and juking everyone.

Reactions: chaneccooms
There really are a lot of options for all the returning players. Wetjen looks like a remarkably good punt and kick return guy. Cooper and X are both good return options. Of course, Arland IV looks like a nice option at punt returner. Can't remember the name right now but we have really fast RB recruit that could run back kicks.

We usually have a pretty good return game. Desmond King, ISM, Charlie for example are all fairly recent outstanding return players. Athleticism has been trending up in the recruits. We have a good special team's coach. No reason we won't have a good to outstanding return game next season.​
Cooper? Hard pass!

• Haha
Reactions: desihawk
I've never understood why we don't just put an offensive linemen back there to field punts...then let them just punish the cover guys. I'm all about demoralizing the other team. Why can't KF and his staff get more creative...we never try new stuff.

Generally true but speed and moves are speed and moves. Wetjen is obviously very fast, something you can tell from films. Even Keagen and Arland IV did not show Wetjen's speed on their HS film and Wetjen was playing JUCOs I think.

Not saying a star is being born, many things good go wrong, like ball security, but a lack of athleticism won't be one.

Where's Brandon Scherff the punt return panda when you need him..... :D
I remember that competition. Scherff against a receiver(?) during an open practice to see who could field punts until one of them muffed one. Scherff won. But he wasn't going to outrun anyone, that's for sure!

I remember that competition. Scherff against a receiver(?) during an open practice to see who could field punts until one of them muffed one. Scherff won. But he wasn't going to outrun anyone, that's for sure!
No, but I'd bet he'd run over or through a few.... :eek:

Not worth the risk of him getting injured for a few yards.
Nor would I. I was simply responding to the poster who made mention of just putting an OL back there, and remembered the practice where Scherff and some other lineman were fielding punts for fun. Dude was a pretty damn good athlete.....

Nor would I. I was simply responding to the poster who made mention of just putting an OL back there, and remembered the practice where Scherff and some other lineman were fielding punts for fun. Dude was a pretty damn good athlete.....
Hands like big pillows, caught everything. He could have been a TE if he wanted, I think. But not in a O-lineman's body🙂

Reactions: rfgiowa
He was our 4th leading receiver, with 1-3 coming back.

The doomer revisionism is getting out of hand.
No revisionism whatsoever. Perhaps others step up and it's not a factor but last year he was a difference maker as a returner and had by far the highest PFF score of the receivers. His numbers were comparable or better than the others with fewer opportunities than Ragaini or Johnson who struggled holding on to the ball. Just stating facts as opposed to acting like some jilted schoolgirl when a Hawkeye decides to move on to other opportunities.

Charlie was a good receiver and a great return guy, which seems pretty obvious at least to me. College sports involve a lot of annual turnover. The key is filling the open holes with quality players. Iowa's general talent level has certainly trended up the last few years, with one very prominent three year drought at QB recruiting.

Charlie's transfer is weird for established player, starring player actually, to jump ship this late in the school year and knowing his place was very secure-if indeed it was as secure as I think we all believe.

I think how a guy transfers has a lot to do with the reaction. I don't like transfers cuz it typically is disruptive (much more so in basketball) but its legal and the other players and coaches now know the new landscape. So if a player has done everything that was asked of them, especially guys like Isaiah that had already graduated, and they want to seek newer pastures no hard feelings. Tyrone Tracy for example. Others are shit heals like CJ Frederick, negotiating with Kentucky during the season, lying about it-to the coaches and players less than 48 hours before announcing his transfer.

Charlie's transfer seems more shocking or surprising than the product of foul play.

I can't imagine the risk for him being the same as guys like d king or wadley
D King could take it to the house anytime. He was able to outrun and outjuke defenders to avoid direct hits. Scherff would have been hard to bring down but he would have been pummeled. By players linebacker-sized and bigger running full speed. Not worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT