ADVERTISEMENT

So..who's leaving and who's staying

Kurt Warner

HR Heisman
Jan 12, 2010
Iowa
Any rumors in the rumor mill, any talk of certain players leaving? Just curious if there has been any new talk

Reactions: Logon
Ellingson, Wagner and Pemsl. Thank them for the effort, but they need to find lower level schools. Actually, if Wagner wants to try football, I'm all for it.

I would be shocked if Pemsl leaves considering the minutes he has gotten the last few weeks. That is, if the staff was thinking he needs to move on he wouldn't be receiving the playing time he has received the last few weeks IMO.

I would have thought that if Brady was going anywhere he'd have had senior night. Fran may be sending a message by not playing him. Fran could let him function as a walk on next year as I understand things. Call it Creening, but it might be best. If Brady wants a grad degree from Iowa I still see him as a good teammate.

I would think Wagner, Kriener, Pemsl, and even Nunge will be watching to see if Cook does something dumb and then might explore options. I'd hope Nunge and Kriener stay regardless.

My biggest hope is the staff looks hard to add 2 more to this incoming class. Outwardly we've been taking the "we have no" room approach for months. We have to add quality if we have openings and I think we definitely will. How we fill what I see as potential spots will have long term program implications.

Wagner has played very very little and Brady even less.....I honestly think this is very tough for Fran. I think he likes all his guys and is naturally loyal to them. Yet, he knows things have to change for next year.

If he simply announced that the rotation will be much tighter next year and only those who showed the effort and the smarts on both ends of the court will make the top 8/9. If you are 9/10 or above keep busting your ass and if there is injuries or illness you can find your way to some playing time.

I think they all stay. Everyone is assuming that basketball is the top priority for these guys. Maybe they like it at Iowa and realize they aren't going to be pros? Maybe they want to fight for their spot? Maybe they like Fran?

The only one I am actually concerned about is Cook but I think it would be a huge mistake to go.

Cook and Maishe are the names I'm hearing. Cook wants to go to Mizzou and Maishe simply isn't happy in Iowa.

Have heard these names too, but just rumors at this point. After a year like this one, you hear rumors about just about everybody.

Reactions: gocubsgo17
Kids don't always do what is expected, and they don't always think basketball first.

Having said that, if Cook wants to play in the show, sitting out a year can't be a good thing for him. I still think Brady is a good player, but it doesn't look like he has a future in IC. I can't see Wags getting many minutes in the future either unless he figures out a way to play offense.

It's nice to assume that the roster will somehow improve if guys leave, but that might not be realistic.

Just cause all think there will be change don't mean there will be any. Could see exact same roster minus Uhl plus incoming freshman. Fran may think pieces are there. You can speculate about AW and BE but its not like they never ever see the court. Whether some guys should be in the rotation or not he still plays them out of loyalty if nothing else.

Just cause all think there will be change don't mean there will be any. Could see exact same roster minus Uhl plus incoming freshman. Fran may think pieces are there. You can speculate about AW and BE but its not like they never ever see the court. Whether some guys should be in the rotation or not he still plays them out of loyalty if nothing else.
There were literally 900 transfers last year in D1 basketball (351 teams)... Iowa is at the bottom of the barrel in the conference and you want to bring back the whole team? There needs to be attrition on this team and there will be.

I hope these young men do what is best for them because that is probably different for each guy. Cook probably has an NBA future but Ellingson does not much BB in his future, IMO. So, is it worth it to Brady to go through all the practices, travel, etc in exchange for one year of paid grad school in a place that he has spent 4 years and probably is comfortable.
The flip side of this is the loyalty that Fran seems to have for everyone on the bench. He seems committed to playing 10-12 guys some how some way and not only does this cause significant rotation issues, it would appear to be very confusing. Just look at the last week. Go to MN and start the game terribly so you go to Kriener for the first time in a couple weeks and he plays really well. So you reward that by playing him more for the next game and now you reduce minutes for Pemsl, Wagner and probably Nunge last night. (Note: I'm not arguing which player is better or worse to have on the court). I can't see how this helps the team and this could go a long way to explain our defensive issues and some of the offense too when things get stagnant there and very little ball movement happens.

ADVERTISEMENT