ADVERTISEMENT

So..who's leaving and who's staying

The only reason that Cook should leave, is if he transfers to a school with a coach that will teach him defense. He's basically the feature of our offense, and if he can improve his mid-range shooting, his offense will be NBA ready. There aren't many places that he could go to that would improve his numbers on offense.

I think that it is safe to say that he will not be playing in the NBA if his defensive ability doesn't improve. Playing in the zone doesn't help, but he's had way too many guys he was guarding fly by him for a dunk this season. Yes it is easy to say there's no defense in the NBA, but that isn't true. The only guys allowed to slack on defense are the elite scorers like Harden who scores a lot more than he gives up. Hopefully our guards, including the new guys, can improve their man defense enough so that we don't have to play so much zone next year. The zone has really hurt Cook and the other bigs by forcing them to guard the 3 point line when the ball rotates to their side quickly which is part of the reason that other teams kill us with wide open shots.

LOL, FAKE NEWS!!! I live here in Mizzu and no body has that rumor here. Bunch of Clowns having their fun...go back to your board you clown

It's been getting some run on tigerboard.com, their message board.
Which message? I’m curious. Was it the one saying it wouldn’t make sense. The one where a guy just asked if Tyler would transfer there, and nobody knows in he responses? The one where a guy said he heard Tyler would declare before transferring? The one saying if fran was gone Tyler could maybe transfer there? Just wondering what sort of run this is getting.

Cook leaving would be borderline catastrophic.
It would, but it doesn't make sense. Leading scorer, playing a ton of minutes, with hopes of playing in the NBA, doesn't often end up in a transfer. Almost seems this was just some random guy on the Missouri board rambling on about possibilities, then Iowa fans running with it.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any chance of that myself. I might be on an island, but I don't think Cook will ever play in the NBA.

I've seen reports from NBA scouts on about 15 Iowa games this year...not one of them listed Cook as an NBA candidate at this time.

Which means he has a LONG way to go before he should consider making that leap.

Garza, Kriener, Nunge, Cook, Baer, Weiskamp, C Mac, Moss and JBo should stay. That's a good, strong top 9.
Pemsl, Wagner, Dailey, Ellingson and Fredrick wouldn't bother me much if any of them left.
The podcast referred to a starter that " didn't seem to have both feet in this year " as a potential transfer, I'm guessing that's Cook. Really hope that don't happen. I'm sure we'll start hearing more solid info after the B1G tourney.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
Garza, Kriener, Nunge, Cook, Baer, Weiskamp, C Mac, Moss and JBo should stay. That's a good, strong top 9.
Pemsl, Wagner, Dailey, Ellingson and Fredrick wouldn't bother me much if any of them left.
The podcast referred to a starter that " didn't seem to have both feet in this year " as a potential transfer, I'm guessing that's Cook. Really hope that don't happen. I'm sure we'll start hearing more solid info after the B1G tourney.
Pemsl and Dailey should stay too. Pemsl is a good fill in when Tyler gets in foul trouble, etc. He's a good body to have, and frankly don't understand why anyone would want him to leave.

Reactions: buudhawk and LUC8
So let's say Cook and Ellingson both leave, does Fran bring anyone else in along with Wieskamp and Fredrick?

I've seen reports from NBA scouts on about 15 Iowa games this year...not one of them listed Cook as an NBA candidate at this time.

Which means he has a LONG way to go before he should consider making that leap.
Did they have any reports on Pemsl or Ellingson? :) Any ideas if any of our players have show companies talking to our coaching staff?

So let's say Cook and Ellingson both leave, does Fran bring anyone else in along with Wieskamp and Fredrick?
In my ideal scenario, Fran grabs a grad transfer PG, so as to not dissuade Carton or other possible top PG targets in '19, but don't believe it will happen.

Cook leaving would leave a pretty substantial hole at the 4 spot though. Nunge would be forced to take on a pretty big role

Pemsl and Dailey should stay too. Pemsl is a good fill in when Tyler gets in foul trouble, etc. He's a good body to have, and frankly don't understand why anyone would want him to leave.

I not saying I want them to go, I'd even argue that Pemsl had a more efficient year than Cook last year but definitely not this year. I'd also like to see what Dailey can do playing the 3. Both of them need to learn to shoot better. They're just not in the top 9 and I don't see that changing during their career at Iowa.

Reactions: hawaii hardwood
I not saying I want them to go, I'd even argue that Pemsl had a more efficient year than Cook last year but definitely not this year. I'd also like to see what Dailey can do playing the 3. Both of them need to learn to shoot better. They're just not in the top 9 and I don't see that changing during their career at Iowa.
To me, it would really depend on who would be coming in to replace them. I don't want to just replace our 9/10 guys to replace them with new guys who will be the same talent.

Reactions: deanhawk88
Good year for the Cyclones Bryce!

Worst year since McD, been a real tough one. It's an Ol' Yeller season, it's diseased and you need to put it down and move on.

Yikes, you go over to the Missouri board, to read negative things about Iowa, so that you can report back negative news to Hawkeye fans? I'm guessing you're crossing your fingers.

Somebody said that nobody in Mizzou was talking about it. It went to the message board, typed "tyler cook" in their search function, and found lots of posts about it. It took me 2 minutes. I've spent a lot more time than that on dumb stuff.

Their reporter said he's hearing rumors of a transfer, but nothing specific, and there is mostly speculation at this point. But to say it's just happening here is false, they are talking about it.

Edit: I hope he stays and I think he will. I don't think he helps himself by transferring especially to a place like Mizzou with a coach that is basically a vagabond.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
Wagner has played very very little and Brady even less.....I honestly think this is very tough for Fran. I think he likes all his guys and is naturally loyal to them. Yet, he knows things have to change for next year.

If he simply announced that the rotation will be much tighter next year and only those who showed the effort and the smarts on both ends of the court will make the top 8/9. If you are 9/10 or above keep busting your ass and if there is injuries or illness you can find your way to some playing time.

Agree with Fran being loyal and any decision being a tough one. If 1-2 guys move on, can Fran and staff do anything with those openings? I guess it depends how confident he is that 2 of 3 out of Weiskamp, Frederick and Connor can contribute more than just depth. It will also be interesting to see where guys play. Is Weiskamp a lock at the 3? Is Dailey the back up to Moss at 2? As much as I appreciate Baer's hustle and effort, if he can't find some offense, you can't give him so much PT IMO.

Reactions: DewHawk
I won't lose sleep if anyone on the roster decides to transfer out ...
I agree as well. But damn i would hate seeing Cook leave. He's the reason why I still watched the games this season. And Jbo
Cook can be an absolutely beast IF he is into the game ... He takes a lot of sets off on defense ... and some games he simply disappears ... When he is "on" he is fun to watch ...

Last edited:
I won't lose sleep if anyone on the roster decides to transfer out ... This season sor

Cook can be an absolutely beast IF he is into the game ... He takes a lot of sets off on defense ... and some games he simply disappears ... When he is "on" he is fun to watch ...

JFC this. He jags it on defense a lot. Given his athletic ability, this is extremely irritating.

Im not sure why Fran would keep a lot of these kids around. You all say he is loyal. However, if you are a player would you rather have a coach be loyal to you and play 5 minutes a night or come at you and say "Look you are not really fitting into our system and we would like to help you find a spot where you would prosper.".

Moss? Really?

I’m not saying he’s a star but he scored 32 against Minnesota and if you can’t see his potential then I don’t know what to tell you.

Problem is that outside of that Minnesota game what did he do this season? The entire year. The answer is basically nothing.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
In my ideal scenario, Fran grabs a grad transfer PG, so as to not dissuade Carton or other possible top PG targets in '19, but don't believe it will happen.

Cook leaving would leave a pretty substantial hole at the 4 spot though. Nunge would be forced to take on a pretty big role
If there is one spot Iowa is not lacking in players its the 4. Granted it wouldn't be as flashy but they could replace his numbers with a combo of Pemsl, Nunge and Baer.

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
ADVERTISEMENT