ADVERTISEMENT

So..who's leaving and who's staying

The fact that we have posters not concerned about Moss or Cook leaving tells me all I need to know. Cook is only the most athletic skilled big Iowa has had since, um, maybe ever in my lifetime (DT could only dunk so I’m not counting him) and Moss is basically the only guy that could get to the rack on this year’s team. Both have tons of room for potential, and besides JBo, they are arguably the two biggest returning pieces. Carry on.

There were literally 900 transfers last year in D1 basketball (351 teams)... Iowa is at the bottom of the barrel in the conference and you want to bring back the whole team? There needs to be attrition on this team and there will be.
True, but attrition is usually guys who aren't playing, and Cook would be crazy to go to Mizzou and sit out a year.

He averaged 11 ppg this year. As somebody else noted. The team won 4 conference games. I'd hate to lose Cook and JBO. Just about everybody else's #'s are replaceable.

Garza would be a tough loss to take as well. Not saying he’s thinking about it, just adding him to the list of guys Iowa can’t afford to lose. Garza’s numbers the last month have been outstanding.

Iowa needs Cook, JBo, Garza, and Moss to return healthy. Just my opinion. Anyone else who transfers, Iowa can adjust to. Any of the four mentioned above, I think it’s easy to say Iowa is looking at repeating this year’s results.

Garza would be a tough loss to take as well. Not saying he’s thinking about it, just adding him to the list of guys Iowa can’t afford to lose. Garza’s numbers the last month have been outstanding.

Iowa needs Cook, JBo, Garza, and Moss to return healthy. Just my opinion. Anyone else who transfers, Iowa can adjust to. Any of the four mentioned above, I think it’s easy to say Iowa is looking at repeating this year’s results.

I can understand this rationale. At the end of the day I just hope for improvement. And I know the players and coaches do too.

If there is one spot Iowa is not lacking in players its the 4. Granted it wouldn't be as flashy but they could replace his numbers with a combo of Pemsl, Nunge and Baer.
Iowa isn't lacking in players at the 4, but at the present time they are lacking in Big Ten quality talent at the 4 after Cook. Nunge will get there eventually, Baer is fine off the bench, I'd rather see Wagner get minutes there over Pemsl.

Only one publication had Moss a 4 star, his 247 composite was #248 and a mid 3 star. I think he's done quite well for the #248 out of HS, 6.5 as a fr, 11.3pts as a soph, I suspect he'll improve even more the next 2 years. The biggest problem I see here is fans hung up on him being the 4 star ESPN lazily ranked when other pubs were closer to the truth.

There were literally 900 transfers last year in D1 basketball (351 teams)... Iowa is at the bottom of the barrel in the conference and you want to bring back the whole team? There needs to be attrition on this team and there will be.
Not saying that is what I want. I am saying that everybody thinks this guy or that guy is going to transfer and Fran may have other ideas. I agree with others above. Outside 3 or 4 guys, rest of roster is easily replaced.

Garza, Kriener, Nunge, Cook, Baer, Weiskamp, C Mac, Moss and JBo should stay. That's a good, strong top 9.
Pemsl, Wagner, Dailey, Ellingson and Fredrick wouldn't bother me much if any of them left.
The podcast referred to a starter that " didn't seem to have both feet in this year " as a potential transfer, I'm guessing that's Cook. Really hope that don't happen. I'm sure we'll start hearing more solid info after the B1G tourney.
Man people have active imaginations. I have seen nothing in TCs play to think he wasnt all in.

IMHO, Cook has regressed at the end of the season.
His handles on the offensive end of the court are problematic, and he is NOT a good shooter from 6 feet out. His defense is not good. His rebounding positioning is not instinctive, as he often finds himself out of position.
Dumb fouls and turnovers have cost him and his teammates dearly.
Maybe most importantly, he is not a floor leader. For that matter, nobody appears to be the floor leader on this team.
If he chooses to leave after this season, I personally don't see that as a huge loss.

We need our starting 5 and Nunge to come back.
His handles on the offensive end of the court are problematic, and he is NOT a good shooter from 6 feet out. His defense is not good. His rebounding positioning is not instinctive, as he often finds himself out of position.
Maybe most importantly, he is not a floor leader. For that matter, nobody appears to be the floor leader on this team.
If he chooses to leave after this season, I personally don't see that as a huge loss.
This is all very accurate. However, being Pemsl would be the likely replacement, I'd like to see Cook stay. I think the addition of another scorer like Joe will really help this team. Baer is not, and should be subbing in, where he is strongest.

Man people have active imaginations. I have seen nothing in TCs play to think he wasnt all in.

I agree, was puzzled who they were talking about. Listen at the 43:20 mark of the last podcast. Rick, Tom and someone Tom referenced all indicated this. I don't see their opinion on this but there must be something going on to have this even be brought up? They set the over and under at 2.5 transfers?

I agree, was puzzled who they were talking about. Listen at the 43:20 mark of the last podcast. Rick, Tom and someone Tom referenced all indicated this. I don't see their opinion on this but there must be something going on to have this even be brought up? They set the over and under at 2.5 transfers?

Haven’t listened to the podcast, just reading the description above. Perhaps Moss is the one being described. I hope neither, but if you HAD to lose one, I’d much rather it be Moss than Cook.

Redbird, I’ve got to disagree with you on this. You’re hatred for Illinois automatically makes you one of my favorite posters, but losing Cook would be a huge loss.

Problem is that outside of that Minnesota game what did he do this season? The entire year. The answer is basically nothing.

He's shooting 86% from the line, nearly 40% from 3........didn't look it up but I'm guess he is either 3rd or 4th on the team in scoring. On multiple occasions this year TV analysts (non Iowa basketball guys) have raved about his talent and ability. They have also said that he needs to realize just how good he can be.....which I agree with. But he certainly doesn't need to be sent packing. It's really not even close.

I’m all in favor of more better players.. if everyone leaves..
truth is it’s the same old same old every year.. and regardless who stays or who leaves Fran will have a team to coach.. and if they aren’t good long enough Iowa will get a new Fran

He's shooting 86% from the line, nearly 40% from 3........didn't look it up but I'm guess he is either 3rd or 4th on the team in scoring. On multiple occasions this year TV analysts (non Iowa basketball guys) have raved about his talent and ability. They have also said that he needs to realize just how good he can be.....which I agree with. But he certainly doesn't need to be sent packing. It's really not even close.

It's actually 88% FT.....Tied for second in steals....tied for second in assists. I can't seem to find game by game totals but I am sure that he has had other good games this year. Has he been inconsistent? Sure.....as have every other player on this team and a huge percentage of players on every team.

Brady is down to 0 minutes and team will add Connor, Frederick, and Weiskamp - likely. Frankly,would be surprised if it hasn't already been discussed and decided.

Wagner (who has started more than 25 games) is now down to spot minutes after Pemsl, sometimes Nunge. Seems to me that Ahmad has to reconcile that development. Probable/Possible.

Those are my top choices for transfers.

I have no idea how Moss got into this discussion.

Although its not likely, still wonder about Kriener. Garza is going to increase his minutes going forward, Cook is established, and Nunge appears to be a better prospect at PF. Also, Baer has another year. If Kriener stays, his minutes are seriously limited all the way to graduation IMO.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
As I have said many times, not everyone on here is a Hawkeye fan.
And some cant remove their lips from the coaches and players backsides long enough to realize just how big of a shit show this year was in the worst big ten conference in 20 years at least.

I get that Cook has holes in his game, but you really think he's the problem on this team? Over the last 10 games, he's averaging 16.9 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. Shooting 56% from the field and 61% from the line (his FT% has trailed off). For the entire year he's averaging 15.3 points and 6.9 boards. He's not regressing. Of course he had bad games, but Bohannon just went through a stretch where he went 2-10 in a game followed up by not scoring at all. It happens to all players. They aren't autobots.

If you think Cook is bad defensively (and he has bad moments) what would you call the rest of this team? Iowa has awful defensive players everywhere. Without naming names, I'd say only Kriener is a better interior defender than Cook on this team. There is a huge gulf between Kriener and Cook and the rest of the big men defensively. And singling him out as a poor leader is assuming a lot. None of us knows the dynamics or the workings of a team. Give me a guy who can actually play over a rah-rah type who can't do squat any day of the week.

As to what could help Cook, it's really the same things that could benefit the entire team. Some level of accountability for what happens on the floor. If you can't/won't stay in front of your man, you sit. If you make multiple silly turnovers, you sit. If you don't execute the defense we're in at that time, you sit. This applies to everyone, not just certain players. If Cook were to leave, it would make it next-to-impossible for Iowa to make the NCAA tournament next year.

I guess I'm not watching the same games as you were the last 10 or so...because Cook was a beast at scoring and rebounding. To me he started rebounding more the last half of the season. Stop making up crap

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
I have no idea how Moss got into this discussion.

A podcast.

Garza, Kriener, Nunge, Cook, Baer, Weiskamp, C Mac, Moss and JBo should stay. That's a good, strong top 9.
Pemsl, Wagner, Dailey, Ellingson and Fredrick wouldn't bother me much if any of them left.
The podcast referred to a starter that " didn't seem to have both feet in this year " as a potential transfer, I'm guessing that's Cook. Really hope that don't happen. I'm sure we'll start hearing more solid info after the B1G tourney.

Definitely doesn’t describe Garza. Most likely not Bohannon. That leaves Baer/Nunge/Wagner and Moss and Cook.

Could certainly be Wagner, but he hasn’t been a starter for a month or so. To me, that describes Moss more so than Cook.

Frederick cannot really leave because he's never been here. Kind of nuts to write off a guy we've never see play.

It makes sense for Brady to go get a free MA somewhere, Weiskamp, Moss, and Connor McC are all playing ahead of him. Frederick has a similar resume but he's taller and possibly more athletic. That won't be known for 9 months.

Big AW is Iowa's best defender in the front court. Nunge and Pemsyl are terrible defenders more than 6 feet from the basket. I think there's enough scorers elsewhere that Wagner should start not transfer.

Reactions: iahawks10
Don't quote me on this, but I heard one of the ball boys is transferring to Nebraska. Heard they see more opportunity there and they have more logical fans. This should help our rotation issues.:eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: mtown66
A podcast.

Definitely doesn’t describe Garza. Most likely not Bohannon. That leaves Baer/Nunge/Wagner and Moss and Cook.

Could certainly be Wagner, but he hasn’t been a starter for a month or so. To me, that describes Moss more so than Cook.
Moss would have to HATE it at Iowa to transfer without a RS available. Don’t see it.

Reactions: INXS83
A podcast.

Moss would be unlikely to leave because he has already used a redshirt season.

Moss got brought up b4 I mentioned the podcast, Moss was brought up later in a manner making me not think they were referring to him in the podcast. Moss just frustrates fans because his upside is NBA worthy, his consistency isn't.

Last edited:
Moss and Cook aren't going anywhere. Doesn't make sense for Moss to go sit again and give up a year of eligibility. I think Cook is even less likely go sit out a year and I think he's a better teammate than people give him credit for. It will be non-starters that leave.

Rumor is, it’s Cook and Dailey leaving. If that happens Iowa should take the title of being the whitest P5 basketball team.

Where are you hearing Dailey? That's the first time I have heard him mentioned but I could see it.

I don't know why I feel this way but I have felt like Cook is going to go for awhile. I feel like everytime there's smoke, there's fire at Iowa. That said, I don't see why he would leave, nor does it make sense. He must really be unhappy IF he leaves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT