ADVERTISEMENT

So..who's leaving and who's staying

Moss' upside is nowhere nba worthy. Cook is closer, and he's not even close. What does moss have? Terrible handles? Check. Slow as shit on defense? Check. No one on one breakdown game? Check. Averaging less than 2 assists a game? Check. Disappears completely for 5-6 games at a time? Check.

Yup, everything the nba is looking for.

How many games have you watched, even the announcers bring this up every time he has these spurts. No consistency= not NBA worthy...consistency=NBA worthy. They bring that up also with him. That's just Moss. He has 2 years left, I hope the light comes on and things become more fluid for him. If not, hopefully a spark off the bench. If it does, watch out!

Reactions: Mohawkeye
It's been getting some run on tigerboard.com, their message board.
So, I went to check and there is only one thread and it is mostly talk. There was no quotes from anyone who knows someone who knows someone and I believe the speculation is because they have a player or two who may leave early and Tyler has a St. Louis background.

Iowa is 3 contributors away from being better IMO. Whether these 3 contributors exist on the current roster via improvement and / or combination of incoming guys remains to be seen. PG is an issue, but the biggest issue IMO is overall athleticism. If Fran is going to throw the towel in on man, he has to drill these guys like Navy Seals on zone to the point where all 5 guys are connected and if you don't guard, you don't play.

Pemsl and Baer are 2 guys that need to see reduced playing time by the ascension of Kriener and Dailey and the addition of Weiskamp. I highly doubt Fran goes after a PG, even if a spot opens, but if Connor and Frederick are closer to Horner / Kelly than Oglesby / Ellingson both will help take pressure off of Bohannon.

It would be best for all concerned if at least Ellingson, Wagner, and Pemsl were to move on. Where the playing time would be for those three is impossible to see. Many lower D-1 schools and many good D-11 schools could use those three.

It's been getting some run on tigerboard.com, their message board.
So, I went to check and there is only one thread and it is mostly talk. There was no quotes from anyone who knows someone who knows someone and I believe the speculation is because they have a player or two who may leave early and Tyler has a St. Louis background.
Saw this too. He could leave, but nothing there would lead one to believe he would be transferring. Bryce being Bryce.

There really is no reason for cook to leave. If he ends up being good enough to play at the next level it doesn't make one bit of difference where he's playing. While a good player i have many doubts he can make the next level. He has a few to many flaws.

This is why I know I am being irrational but still think he is leaving. I have no clue why he would leave, sit out a year (because there shouldn't be a shot at a hardship transfer), and try to get into the NBA as a 22 year old. The NBA typically doesn't like guys that are that old. I still really hope he doesn't leave but I have this terrible feeling, with absolutely no proof, that he is.

There really is no reason for cook to leave. If he ends up being good enough to play at the next level it doesn't make one bit of difference where he's playing. While a good player i have many doubts he can make the next level. He has a few to many flaws.

This is why I know I am being irrational but still think he is leaving. I have no clue why he would leave, sit out a year (because there shouldn't be a shot at a hardship transfer), and try to get into the NBA as a 22 year old. The NBA typically doesn't like guys that are that old. I still really hope he doesn't leave but I have this terrible feeling, with absolutely no proof, that he is.
I could see him trying to make the NBA after this season as more of an option vs. transferring. Is two years younger and an NBA might be more willing to take a chance on him due to his age vs two years from now.

I could see him trying to make the NBA after this season as more of an option vs. transferring. Is two years younger and an NBA might be more willing to take a chance on him due to his age vs two years from now.
Everyone Cook has no jump shot, he’s not going to play in the nba ever. Ever. He’s a really good college player for Iowa, but he’s not an nba player.

I've spent a lot of time looking around the internet and still can't find anything concrete on Cook transferring. I honestly think it is all rumors and believe he will be back.

Reactions: ZumaHawk and GRT2B1
Everyone Cook has no jump shot, he’s not going to play in the nba ever. Ever. He’s a really good college player for Iowa, but he’s not an nba player.
Why are you bashing someone who plays for the hawks? Bet you wouldn't say that to his face.
I wasn’t bashing him, just saying he’s not an nba player, because I watch the nba. Did you miss the part where I said he’s a really good player for Iowa. He has no jump shot, that’s not bashing, that’s he truth. For the record, I hope he stays, and love him playing for the hawks.

This current roster needs a major overhaul. Ellingson, Wagner, Pemsyl, Dailey, Baer. You could combine
these 5 and still not have a basketball player.
Fran needs to hit the Juco ranks, get more athletic and find above the rim players.
We are the worst defensive team, we have several players who completely suck at it and give no effort.
If Cook leaves then he's stupid, but his fundamentals aren't his strength. He has way to many turnovers, he's lazy on defense and a poor free throw shooter. He ended up 15 & 6. With his athletic ability he should be a double/ double guy. At this point he's our best player on a shitty team.

Next year Joe will be our best player. The future is JBO, Connor, Joe, Moss, Fredrick, Cook, Garza, Nunge and Kreiner.
My opinion is these 9 and a athletic judo guard or wing they can go .500 in conference next year.
The following year adding Patrick, DJ another athletic wing now we are heading in the right direction.

I wasn’t bashing him, just saying he’s not an nba player, because I watch the nba. Did you miss the part where I said he’s a really good player for Iowa. He has no jump shot, that’s not bashing, that’s he truth. For the record, I hope he stays, and love him playing for the hawks.
He's a lock for the nba. You saying he's not an nba player does no good for him and you wouldn't say that to his face. You get off on bashing college kids?

Reactions: buudhawk
He's a lock for the nba. You saying he's not an nba player does no good for him and you wouldn't say that to his face. You get off on bashing college kids?
Is this ted? Are you trying to fool me?

Reactions: iahawks10
He will not play in the NBA, unless he learns to hustle on defense and develop a jump shot! You need to go watch an NBA game.

He likes a post where Waite says you could combine 5 current players and still not have a basketball player. He also says Cook is fundamentally flawed, lazy on defense, and a poor FT shooter - in conclusion a good player on a shitty team. Yet takes issue with someone saying Cook wont play in the NBA and labels it player bashing. Weird.

Saw this too. He could leave, but nothing there would lead one to believe he would be transferring. Bryce being Bryce.

My point was that it's not just isolated to this board. I agree there isn't exactly some sort of smoking gun there. For the record I've said I think he stays, I think he should stay, and I think he's a 4 year player.

Find me a draft board with him in the top 100 NBA prospects.

He likes a post where Waite says you could combine 5 current players and still not have a basketball player. He also says Cook is fundamentally flawed, lazy on defense, and a poor FT shooter - in conclusion a good player on a shitty team. Yet takes issue with someone saying Cook wont play in the NBA and labels it player bashing. Weird.
Yeah it’s tedsvenscoot back again without the stupid name. He’s still mad he lost a bet to me, and he’s trying to disguise himself better so he can still post here.

My point was that it's not just isolated to this board. I agree there isn't exactly some sort of smoking gun there. For the record I've said I think he stays, I think he should stay, and I think he's a 4 year player.

Yeah 99% of the chatter though, is this dumb board.

Poster saying he's lock for NBA is trolling right now. Most Iowa fans acknowledge he isn't. Could he one day maybe but not ready now.

Don't shoot the messenger, but my best friend knows someone in the athletic department. He confirmed the Cook rumor has legs.

Reactions: Hawks1958
After the Marquette game last year I thought Pemsl was a star in the making. Seems like a lot of people are really down on him.

I remember Aaron White's senior year. He was constantly featured during games. I remember games where he was constantly on the receiving end of alley-oops on fast breaks. Cook seems more athletic to me than White, but none of that is run for Cook. I suppose it's all about preventing the other team from scoring so you can have a fast break.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
The only plausible reason for Cook to leave would be as a grad transfer. I agree with you that his game has too many flaws right now to be considered an NBA prospect. That being the case, maybe he recognizes that and is willing to transfer to a higher level program to challenge himself more on a daily basis and take a year off to improve his game.

Why are you bashing someone who plays for the hawks? Bet you wouldn't say that to his face.

I would tell Tyler Cook to his face the following things:
1) I don't think you'll ever play in the NBA
2) You are one of my favorite Hawks
3) Thanks for doing well in the classroom, on the court, and off the court. Wish we could find more Hawks like you

I would tell Tyler Cook to his face the following things:
1) I don't think you'll ever play in the NBA
2) You are one of my favorite Hawks
3) Thanks for doing well in the classroom, on the court, and off the court. Wish we could find more Hawks like you
If it were me, I'd lead with #2 & #3 to soften him up a bit before dropping #1 on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT