ADVERTISEMENT

So why is Israel allowed "Nuclear ambiguity"?

Aegon_Targaryen

HB All-American
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2014
Before someone is ready to call "anti-semitism", please hear me out. I'm not against jewish people, I don't particularly like Israel, or how they figure into our Foreign Policy, but I don't dislike Jews.

I dislike Israel though, not for the people, but for what a hypocritical, drama queen like, disaster of a state they are.

I'm not saying they don't have reasons to be jumpy, but they sure do seem to gain a lot of favor in things that other foreign states are not.

Consider these examples:

1. Not recognized as a Nuclear state, according to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. There also three others by the way, including Pakistan, North Korea, and India.

2. Despite this though, they are almost guaranteed to have them, and at the very least have 100 or so. Probably more.

3. They seem to not play by the rules, that they want others to play by. They openly say they will not sign, and for the sake of national security, won't disclose info. This is exactly what they are getting on Iran about.

4. Even we have cut down on the number of war-heads we have, but we also have more powerful ones than what we had before. Israel on the other hand just goes about business as usual, and apparently believe they are above even reporting what they have.

So what gives? What makes Israel so special? We know that North Korea for example is a problem child, and are all about not going with the plan, but why doesn't Israel? Aren't they supposed to be the good guys? Why are they so uncooperative, despite international pressure?

This post was edited on 3/16 11:36 AM by Aegon_Targaryen

I just always figured that it was because they are surrounded by 22 countries that would prefer to see them all dead.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
Don't you find it interesting that in a country like ours most of us are more afraid of being accused of antisemitism than racism?
To even the tiniest degree, we are all either one, the other, or both.

Originally posted by 22*43*51:

I just always figured that it was because they are surrounded by 22 countries that would prefer to see them all dead.
Why not just admit they have nukes? Why not join the NNPT with "reservations" on certain issues if they are problematic? Why not allow inspections?

Seems to me that Israel could easily be on the right side of this issue without giving up an iota of security. Why allow themselves to be (correctly) branded as hypocrites and beneficiaries of a double standard?

Why not just admit they have nukes? Why not join the NNPT with "reservations" on certain issues if they are problematic? Why not allow inspections?

Seems to me that Israel could easily be on the right side of this issue without giving up an iota of security. Why allow themselves to be (correctly) branded as hypocrites and beneficiaries of a double standard?
I'm going to have to agree with WWJD here. It's not secret that they were one of the first countries to develop nuclear centers. Why not just admit you have them? Where's the disadvantage in not doing so? It just seems like arrogance on their part.

A kind of FU, we do what we want type mentality. I'm all for that, but why bitch about others doing the same?

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

I'm going to have to agree with WWJD here. It's not secret that they were one of the first countries to develop nuclear centers. Why not just admit you have them? Where's the disadvantage in not doing so? It just seems like arrogance on their part.

A kind of FU, we do what we want type mentality. I'm all for that, but why bitch about others doing the same?
Plus, very simply, Israel is on a lot stronger ground when it's asking Iran to follow the same rules that it (Israel) also follows.

The problem is that right now, it's Iran that's following the rules while Israel isn't. So it's hard to make the claim that Israel is the one on the side of principle.

We see a similar problem with Palestine. Israel (and their pet dog) are trying to prevent Palestine from joining the International Criminal Court. That's actually a dangerous move for Hamas and the Palestinian Authority because when you join, you become subject to the ICC's authority when it comes to violations of international law, war crimes, and such. And, let's face it, Hamas's hands aren't exactly blood-free. But the wide international consensus is that Israel is more guilty. So what we seem to have is a situation where Israel wants Hamas held to standards that Israel refuses to be held to.

Kind of like terrorism. We insist on the right to attack terrorism and sponsors of terrorism wherever we see them. But when we are adjudicated as being a state sponsor of terrorism, we ignore it. The rules we accuse others of violating just don't apply to us.

We here in America consider "exceptionalism" to mean that we are an exceptionally wonderful nation that does great good and deserves the world's thanks. But to most of the world "exceptionalism" means that we consider ourselves to be exempt from the rules that we apply to others - we are the exceptions that are outside the law. This is also how Israel is seen with regard to Iran and Palestine.

Because if the region finds out they DON'T have them...........guess what happens next.

There is a huge disadvantage to Israel as a whole, if their aggressive neighbors find out that they don't actually have any. It's called instant attempts to annihilate them. Every last one of them, down children and women included.

How is it hard to understand this?

Originally posted by Hawk in SEC Country:

Because if the region finds out they DON'T have them...........guess what happens next.

There is a huge disadvantage to Israel as a whole, if their aggressive neighbors find out that they don't actually have any. It's called instant attempts to annihilate them. Every last one of them, down children and women included.

I'm not having trouble understanding this at all. Israel is simply playing the victim here. We know they have Nukes, yet they can skip around the rules we try to enforce on others.

You're not really insinuating they don't have them are you?

I'm not having trouble understanding this at all. Israel is simply playing the victim here. We know they have Nukes, yet they can skip around the rules we try to enforce on others.

You're not really insinuating they don't have them are you?
Not insinuating anything. I"m sure they have them. But keeping their neighbors guessing, is part of what keeps them alive.

Because it's total nonsense, that's why. In the first place Israel DOES have nukes. They have said so several times, just not "officially." So it's a moot point. Secondly, if its neighbors try to annihilate Israel, they'll face America's unambiguous retaliation and even critics like me won't object.

To side with Israel would make you anti-Islam. I need of course. Fact is, US taxpayers pay more in foreign aid collectively to the Arab nations surrounding Israel than to Israel itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT