ADVERTISEMENT

So, You Thought Rand Paul Was a Libertarian?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Not so long ago, Rand Paul broke from Republican orthodoxy on defense spending and supported substantial cuts. A budget he introduced in 2011 called for a $164 billion cut in defense spending by 2016. But last month Paul abruptly reversed positions and proposed "a nearly $190 billion infusion to the defense budget over the next two years-a roughly 16 percent increase." TIME called Paul's switch a "stunning reversal."

Rand Paul's position on drugs like marijuana is "not to legalize them." He stresses that smoking marijuana is "a bad thing to do." Paul's view is that instead of legalization, penalties for drug use and possession should be reduced.

Reason, a libertarian magazine, is not impressed: "He wants to keep everything illegal, but institute gentler penalties. That's not remotely libertarian."

In a 2011 interview with Sean Hannity, Paul said he opposed some kinds of racial profiling but supported the profiling, deportation, and even imprisonment of people the government determined were listening to "radical political speeches."

Think again

Originally posted by naturalmwa:
Paul is quickly evolving to capture primary votes. I'm OK with that.
Perhaps and unfortunately that may be what he is doing. It's possible he just isn't his father as well. Either way, I can't says I'm as a big of a fan of him as I am of his father.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:
Perhaps and unfortunately that may be what he is doing. It's possible he just isn't his father as well. Either way, I can't says I'm as a big of a fan of him as I am of his father.
I think I feel the opposite, I'm warming to him more than his ideologically rigid father. It seems he's moving to be what many say they want, more liberal on social policy (for an R) and conservative on fiscal matters. We could do worse.

This post was edited on 4/7 1:22 PM by naturalmwa

I think I feel the opposite, I'm warming to him more than his ideologically rigid father. It seems he's moving to be what many say they want, more liberal on social policy (for an R) and conservative on fiscal matters. We could do worse.

This post was edited on 4/7 1:22 PM by naturalmwa
Free drugs for everyone, run your business how you like, mind your own business, stop letting private entities control your currency rates, etc.

He's not as rigid as you may believe.

He's never said he was Libertarian. I think of him more of a constitutional conservative. I honestly don't think he cares as much about individual liberties as his father or traditional libertarians.

Who is giving out free drugs for everyone?
You!!!, if Ron had his way...... Drug war? I don't think so!!! It's called personal responsibility baby!! You overdose? Your fault.

Who is giving out free drugs for everyone?
You!!!, if Ron had his way...... Drug war? I don't think so!!! It's called personal responsibility baby!! You overdose? Your fault.
Shenanigans! Bait and switch. I want my free drugs and enough to give to everyone now.

images

The talking heads seem to think he's intentionally putting some distance between himself and his father. Probably not a bad idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT