ADVERTISEMENT

Social Security benefits to jump by 8.7% next year

It does depend on your overall income. Basic idea is this:
*divide your SS benefits by two;
*add that 50% to your other income (including various "tax-exempt" income, such as interest on state & local government bonds)

If the total is higher than $25k for a single person ($32k for a married couple), then you go to the spreadsheet from hell to calculate how much of the benefits are taxable.

In general terms, for most people of moderate means it will be roughly 50% of the benefits taxable; for high income it can be as much as 85% of the benefits taxable.

Plus if your total income is above a certain threshold your Medicare premium doubles.

Plus if your total income is above a certain threshold your Medicare premium doubles.
doesn't double but goes up....unless you make A LOT of "income".....Our MediCare premium only dropped about $60 when our income was "adjusted" .......but that' fine, this is EXACTLY what republicans were clammoring for back when Clinton was POTUS........Remember....be careful what you wish for....."means testing" can become a reality for all of us! LOL

doesn't double but goes up....unless you make A LOT of "income".....Our MediCare premium only dropped about $60 when our income was "adjusted" .......but that' fine, this is EXACTLY what republicans were clammoring for back when Clinton was POTUS........Remember....be careful what you wish for....."means testing" can become a reality for all of us! LOL
Well then Dems should be pleased too. The rich are paying more after all, right?

Well then Dems should be pleased too. The rich are paying more after all, right?
I see NOTHING wrong with "means testing" SS or MediCare benefits, mom......but then I am not the greedy sumbitch that so many of my fellow Americans seem to be.
HOWEVER, there are other alternatives to "means testing" that should be examined, such as raising eligibility age, removing the cap on SS contributions......

Reactions: MitchLL and goldmom
I see NOTHING wrong with "means testing" SS or MediCare benefits, mom......but then I am not the greedy sumbitch that so many of my fellow Americans seem to be.
HOWEVER, there are other alternatives to "means testing" that should be examined, such as raising eligibility age, removing the cap on SS contributions......
Surprise! We agree

Social Security checks are going up because of a cost of living adjustment based off CPI.

In other word’s it going up because of inflation.

Strange thing to brag about.

Whoever runs his twitter account thinks we’re all morons. No Joe tweet manager, only the hardcore left is stupid enough to think this is a good thing.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
It’s basically taking credit for inflation. It’s nuts.
Same crap as the massive budget surpluses in states and those idiots trying to brag about it. Gee, you think we may have overshot the mark on Covid spending a bit?

Same crap as the massive budget surpluses in states and those idiots trying to brag about it. Gee, you think we may have overshot the mark on Covid spending a bit?
R governors brag about COVID surpluses too….that a bipartisan thing

R governors brag about COVID surpluses too….that a bipartisan thing
I don’t recall picking particular states. In general, all of that cash should have been thrown into a damn fire. Instead they’re spending it.

Reactions: franklinman
Which by law, is the only way SS payments can increase........unless you wanna rewrite the SS rules.....
I agree Joel…been that way since 1975.

Like I said…strange thing to brag about…unless they’re taking credit for inflation which I find unlikely.

Reactions: goldmom
No means testing. I paid plenty into both in my life.

Whoever runs his twitter account thinks we’re all morons. No Joe tweet manager, only the hardcore left is stupid enough to think this is a good thing.
Of course it's a good thing - as opposed to getting no COLA or a lower COLA.

Your side would cut SS and Medicare and try to undermine efforts to keep them solvent. They barely even pretend otherwise any more.

Pretty much anything is better than what your side wants to do.

Your side would cut SS and Medicare and try to undermine efforts to keep them solvent. They barely even pretend otherwise any more.

I don’t have a side. Raise it by 5% like the average American worker gets this year. Ridiculous that they’re paying ssi increases with money from people who just a pay cut, courtesy of inflation. And that 8% number (CPI) is total horseshit.

The republicans have held the presidency, senate and house in the recent past.
Please link all the cuts they made to these benefits.

The republicans have held the presidency, senate and house in the recent past.
Please link all the cuts they made to these benefits.
They understand "political suicide"....BUT make no mistake about it......Republicans HATE SS and MediCare and they HATE FDR and LBJ because of them. They always have opposed the idea of each....and they always will. If you ever want to define the difference between Republicans and Democrats.....SS and MediCare is a good place to start.

Okay. Got it.
🤪

They understand "political suicide"....BUT make no mistake about it......Republicans HATE SS and MediCare and they HATE FDR and LBJ because of them. They always have opposed the idea of each....and they always will. If you ever want to define the difference between Republicans and Democrats.....SS and MediCare is a good place to start.

And that was a short lived agreement.
Repubs count on old white folks...who aren’t in the minority just yet. So in other words R’s want to cut their own throats.
40% of seniors count on SSI for the majority of their monthly budget.
And seniors vote.
Now tell me again that R’s wanna cut SSI?

It is a ridiculous notion that Republicans want to cut or end SS and Medicare. It just is not true.
Hell, Republicans give their own money and assets to people in need and organizations that help others. Democrats give other people’s money to people in need.

It is a ridiculous notion that Republicans want to cut or end SS and Medicare. It just is not true.
Hell, Republicans give their own money and assets to people in need and organizations that help others. Democrats give other people’s money to people in need.
I enjoy amusing non sequiturs as much as the next guy, but did you have a point?

Repubs count on old white folks...who aren’t in the minority just yet. So in other words R’s want to cut their own throats.
And seniors vote.
I know. I makes no sense. But it's true, nonetheless.

Why? Probably because that's what their big money donors want. Money that's being spent on so-called entitlements is money they think belongs in their own pockets.

I know. I makes no sense. But it's true, nonetheless.

Why? Probably because that's what their big money donors want. Money that's being spent on so-called entitlements is money they think belongs in their own pockets.
You should have stopped after the first sentence. 😉

And seniors vote.
I guess those stories coming out of Congress are just wild rumors then, huh?

Liberals talk a big game but don’t deliver. I have seen this time and time again. Liberals use other prople’s money and pat themselves on the back saying what good citizens we are.
Can you give some examples of this?

Republicans give PUBLICALLLY collected tax monies and gift that to private businesses that support their agenda and to private / parochial schools....isn’t that what you mean, Iowa fan?

Can you give some examples of this?
Congress.
Projects that require pledges to get the go ahead and then pledges are not fulfilled completely. And the rest had to be made up
somehow.
For example, my wife headed a project for a new water system in Tanzania. Not all the funds promised came through. Individuals decided that couldn’t fulfill the amount they said they would give, which can happen. But then they want recognition that they were part of the proceedings. I made up the difference and it was a good chunk of money.
This happens all over the country I am sure.
Pledges made to church offerings that are never completed wholly.

Republicans give PUBLICALLLY collected tax monies and gift that to private businesses that support their agenda and to private / parochial schools....isn’t that what you mean, Iowa fan?
What is the agenda?

You really do Republicans, didn’t you? Maybe despise is a better word.

HROT is one hell of a place.

Reactions: goldmom
Congress.
Projects that require pledges to get the go ahead and then pledges are not fulfilled completely. And the rest had to be made up
somehow.
For example, my wife headed a project for a new water system in Tanzania. Not all the funds promised came through. Individuals decided that couldn’t fulfill the amount they said they would give, which can happen. But then they want recognition that they were part of the proceedings. I made up the difference and it was a good chunk of money.
This happens all over the country I am sure.
Pledges made to church offerings that are never completed wholly.
🤣So one time you contributed money because fund raising came up short.🤣

ADVERTISEMENT