ADVERTISEMENT

social security

Ok here it goes. If you earn 1000000 dollars a yr. You pay Social security on 10% of your wages. If you earn 50000 a yr you pay social security on 100% of your wages. whats wrong with that picture. We need a flat tax on Social Security. You pay on every dollar
Because, as it told to that it is a fund for our retirement, then the million dollar salary person would be getting an insanely huge monthly SS check. SS tax is like income tax where the money just goes where ever Congress wants. SS tax is supposed to go back to all contributors on par with what they earned over their working life. Your monthly check is supposed to be limited by what you put in.

Ok here it goes. If you earn 1000000 dollars a yr. You pay Social security on 10% of your wages. If you earn 50000 a yr you pay social security on 100% of your wages. whats wrong with that picture. We need a flat tax on Social Security. You pay on every dollar

That either creates a mathematical problem or a political problem.

If you eliminate the cap on contributions, to be fair you would have to eliminate the cap on benefits. Which mathematically means you've solved nothing.

If you eliminate the cap on contributions, but keep the cap on benefits, you have a political problem because there is a legitimate problems with fairness.

Perhaps a compromise would be to eliminate the cap on contributions, and also eliminate the cap on benefits; but for folks who are getting huge SS benefits adjust the calculation so the benefit-per-contribution is lower as contributions rise. This is just a little bit unfair, and it would unfairly hit people who can easily afford it.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Because, as it told to that it is a fund for our retirement, then the million dollar salary person would be getting an insanely huge monthly SS check. SS tax is like income tax where the money just goes where ever Congress wants. SS tax is supposed to go back to all contributors on par with what they earned over their working life. Your monthly check is supposed to be limited by what you put in.[/QUOTE
I guess you should quit drawing when you reached your contribution level. you can't draw any more out of your 401 than what was earned.

That would be a first step in making SS financially stable. This action will always be opposed by those who hate the idea of SS....right now this " tax increase" will never happen, sadly.
SS and MediCare could both be made financially viable quite easily and in very little time, IF the pols wanted to solve this problem. However, this issue, like abortion, are issues that pops can use to divide and encourage their political bases.

If you eliminate the cap on contributions, to be fair you would have to eliminate the cap on benefits. Which mathematically means you've solved nothing.

If you eliminate the cap on contributions, but keep the cap on benefits, you have a political problem because there is a legitimate problems with fairness.

Perhaps a compromise would be to eliminate the cap on contributions, and also eliminate the cap on benefits; but for folks who are getting huge SS benefits adjust the calculation so the benefit-per-contribution is lower as contributions rise. This is just a little bit unfair, and it would unfairly hit people who can easily afford it.
Why not make it progressive like income tax? Don't necessarily cap benefits, but make them regressive?

I think we could eliminate the cap on contributions while keeping the cap on benefits. I doubt the upper middle class to the 1%ers are relying on SS for their retirement.

Would be fine with it so long as the money just went to fund SS and not other government spending projects.

It is a tax and like all taxes more is paid in from those who make more.

1. I agree it's probably time to raise the cap.
2. Does the employer share go up, as well?
3. As I've pointed out on several occasions over the years when this subject comes up, raising the cap ameliorates the problem in the present but exacerbates it for the future.

Raise the cap to a bazillion dollars and cap benefits at current rate. Do this for about a decade and then worry about it again in 2120.

That would be a first step in making SS financially stable. This action will always be opposed by those who hate the idea of SS....right now this " tax increase" will never happen, sadly.
SS and MediCare could both be made financially viable quite easily and in very little time, IF the pols wanted to solve this problem. However, this issue, like abortion, are issues that pops can use to divide and encourage their political bases.
Social Security can NOT be made finally viable quite easily, and with all due respect, anyone who believes differently isn't well informed about the system or its status.

As for Medicare, I'll say again what I've said since I retired and first became eligible for it: It should be means-tested. It's far too generous, and -- unlike the case with Social Security -- there is no reason it shouldn't be means-tested.

I think we could eliminate the cap on contributions while keeping the cap on benefits. I doubt the upper middle class to the 1%ers are relying on SS for their retirement.

Would be fine with it so long as the money just went to fund SS and not other government spending projects.

It is a tax and like all taxes more is paid in from those who make more.
You could do that, but if you do, you have ended Social Security. You will have another welfare program called Social Security, and maybe that's what we'll end up having, but you will have killed SS.

Social Security can NOT be made finally viable quite easily, and with all due respect, anyone who believes differently isn't well informed about the system or its status.

As for Medicare, I'll say again what I've said since I retired and first became eligible for it: It should be means-tested. It's far too generous, and -- unlike the case with Social Security -- there is no reason it shouldn't be means-tested.
And this is where you and I differ. Pols refusal to task this issue solves nothing and exasberates the problem. It is nowhere as difficult to solve as many here (you included) have mentioned. However, by doing nothing........the problems will increase.

Financial experts tell us that Social Security should
not account for more than 35% of your retirement
income. 65% should come from pensions, IRA's,
401K's, investments, etc.

Unfortunately, some people have S.S. as their entire
retirement income. They are the ones who will
struggle in retirement and need government help
from Medicaid and other sources.

And this is where you and I differ. Pols refusal to task this issue solves nothing and exasberates the problem. It is nowhere as difficult to solve as many here (you included) have mentioned. However, by doing nothing........the problems will increase.
It isn't a case of differing, Joel; I am right and you are wrong. ;)

No, seriously, nobody familiar with the situation thinks it can be fixed, let alone easily. The math simply doesn't work, and never has.

And while I agree with you that it should have been addressed long ago, I must point out that Democrats virtually never have proposed viable ideas, and when Republicans have done so, Democrats have accused them of shoving grandma down the stairs, etc. The last time anybody tried was Dubya, and you know what happened to him. The last substantive changes were ramrodded under Reagan, with help from Tip O'Neill, and as soon as they were passed, the Dems went on their usual attack and the GOP suffered in the next election.

Obama had a twofer. First, he completely ignored the recommendations of his own blue-ribbon commission, chaired by Alan Simpson and Erskine Bowles; then, he joined Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders in making the Democratic Party take the position of increasing SS benefits, just the opposite of what needs to be done.

It isn't a case of differing, Joel; I am right and you are wrong. ;)

No, seriously, nobody familiar with the situation thinks it can be fixed, let alone easily. The math simply doesn't work, and never has.

And while I agree with you that it should have been addressed long ago, I must point out that Democrats virtually never have proposed viable ideas, and when Republicans have done so, Democrats have accused them of shoving grandma down the stairs, etc. The last time anybody tried was Dubya, and you know what happened to him. The last substantive changes were ramrodded under Reagan, with help from Tip O'Neill, and as soon as they were passed, the Dems went on their usual attack and the GOP suffered in the next election.

Obama had a twofer. First, he completely ignored the recommendations of his own blue-ribbon commission, chaired by Alan Simpson and Erskine Bowles; then, he joined Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders in making the Democratic Party take the position of increasing SS benefits, just the opposite of what needs to be done.

Great post.
I do think raising the cap would help.
Thankfully i enjoy the bump in may or june(depending on bonus paid in feb) from hitting the cap but i'd be willing to keep contributing "for the team".
Need to clean up the disability scams on the cost side.

Meh, I'm planning like SS won't be there once I retire. I'm not counting on it.

1. I agree it's probably time to raise the cap.
2. Does the employer share go up, as well?
3. As I've pointed out on several occasions over the years when this subject comes up, raising the cap ameliorates the problem in the present but exacerbates it for the future.

Keep the employers rate the same, eliminate the cap for the employee. Cap the top benefit at say $50,000 a year. The wealthy will complain to high heaven, just like they do about the estate tax, but it helps the most people without raising taxes on everyone. Just those at the top, and would not hurt businesses at all. I did read an article the last couple of years that basically said even by taking the cap off, it will not be enough to fix the problem. If this had been done 10 to 15 years ago, it would have, but right now this would only be something like a 90% solution. We really need to start means testing for those at the top of the scale. Problem is coming up with the cut point where you say, " you make too much money to receive any money back", even though you have in some cases paid in millions.

Last edited:
Meh, I'm planning like SS won't be there once I retire. I'm not counting on it.
You know Chuck, I heard the same bullshit when I started working back in 1967. How old are you?
I the years I worked, they upped my ante a bit and raised my retirement age 1 year. When I started work I was projecting to make about $500/month off SS.....my gross check today is a tad ove\r $1700......and I laffed at the morons who doubted SS and its longevity.

Reactions: Gimmered
You know Chuck, I heard the same bullshit when I started working back in 1967. How old are you?
I the years I worked, they upped my ante a bit and raised my retirement age 1 year. When I started work I was projecting to make about $500/month off SS.....my gross check today is a tad ove\r $1700......and I laffed at the morons who doubted SS and its longevity.
This is what stupid looks like. If you graduated from college in 1980 and started at $40K, you were making decent bling. Graduate college today with that salary and you're a putz. The private bankers funding our government create inflation to rob you of your purchasing power. In 15 years, it will be $2,500. Don't get all puffy.

Ponzi did 3 years in jail for what the fedgov is doing w/ SS. Bernie Madoff didn't fare well either. SS works as long as there are more contributors than receivers.

Keep the employers rate the same, eliminate the cap for the employee. Cap the top benefit at say $50,000 a year. The wealthy will complain to high heaven, just like they do about the estate tax, but it helps the most people without raising taxes on everyone. Just those at the top, and would not hurt businesses at all. I did read an article the last couple of years that basically said even by taking the cap off, it will not be enough to fix the problem. If this had been done 10 to 15 years ago, it would have, but right now this would only be something like a 90% solution. We really need to start means testing for those at the top of the scale. Problem is coming up with the cut point where you say, " you make too much money to receive any money back", even though you have in some cases paid in millions.
If you cap the benefit, you have just destroyed Social Security. As I said earlier, maybe that's what has to happen and maybe it's what will happen, but when it does, SS is gone and a welfare program has taken its place.

Also, if you think things are a mess now, wait until you see what would happen then! Linking the benefits to contributions creates a certain amount of restraint when members of Congress feel the urge to buy votes of seniors. Cut that link, and all bets are off.

This is what stupid looks like. If you graduated from college in 1980 and started at $40K, you were making decent bling. Graduate college today with that salary and you're a putz. The private bankers funding our government create inflation to rob you of your purchasing power. In 15 years, it will be $2,500. Don't get all puffy.

Ponzi did 3 years in jail for what the fedgov is doing w/ SS. Bernie Madoff didn't fare well either. SS works as long as there are more contributors than receivers.
Private bankers create inflation? Government LOVES inflation. It basically lets them haul in more money without formally raising taxes.

It doesn't go up every year. Most years it does. Same as the benefits. But the argument is that the formula needs to be changed.

It's indexed to inflation.

In any case, you can't have a cap on the payroll tax if there's a cap on the benefits.

The democrats already solved the problem, it is called privatizing it. That's right, the Democrats came up with the privatizing plan. It is the only idea they ever have proposed that actually is good.

So if this is true, looks like it is, then we are half way there, take the cap off earnings and SS should be stable well into the 2050's one would think. People also have to remember, the largest group of Americans are retiring now the baby boomers, taking off the cap will allow SS to weather the storm of payouts until they pass on. Great idea, never happen, do you notice when the Republicans talk about saving SS it always about rising the minimum age or decreasing benefits, never about taking off the cap? I wonder why that is?

So if this is true, looks like it is, then we are half way there, take the cap off earnings and SS should be stable well into the 2050's one would think. People also have to remember, the largest group of Americans are retiring now the baby boomers, taking off the cap will allow SS to weather the storm of payouts until they pass on. Great idea, never happen, do you notice when the Republicans talk about saving SS it always about rising the minimum age or decreasing benefits, never about taking off the cap? I wonder why that is?

The "Deal" part of the "New Deal" was that you were saving for your OWN retirement, not robbing the rich to pay for the poor. That's why you have to work and earn money to get any Social Security checks in the first place.

Reneging on that "Deal" would be a betrayal of massive proportions.

The "Deal" part of the "New Deal" was that you were saving for your OWN retirement, not robbing the rich to pay for the poor. That's why you have to work and earn money to get any Social Security checks in the first place.

Reneging on that "Deal" would be a betrayal of massive proportions.

This is not true at all. When SS was founded America found itself in the grips of the great depression. There will millions of Americans that were literally starving and many where older Americans. The goal of SS was to allow these older Americans enough money to live on until death. It was helped along by a much lower life span at the time and very few people that were eligible to retire in the early years. The ratio of worker to retired was 7/1, today the rate is 3/1 with a longer life span. The gap between wealthy and the average American was also much lower than what it is today. This idea the unless the wealthy get back what they pay into a system its welfare is very dangerous to our country. The rich are not hurting for anything, they can afford to pay more into a system that will hurt them a little to help millions of their fellow citizens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT