ADVERTISEMENT

Solon School District asks for $25 million in upgrades

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Solon is growing, and will continue to add families. I suspect the board will be back for more in a few years. The new turf at the stadium and the indoor practice facilities seem to show misplaced priorities, however. It seems like private donations would be sought for some of that. This is indicative of what's going on in Iowa. A few districts grow and have money for extras, and the rest of the state shrinks and consolidates.
https://www.kcrg.com/2022/11/29/sol...llion-bond-vote-some-are-favor-fraction-plan/

Solon is growing, and will continue to add families. I suspect the board will be back for more in a few years. The new turf at the stadium and the indoor practice facilities seem to show misplaced priorities, however. It seems like private donations would be sought for some of that. This is indicative of what's going on in Iowa. A few districts grow and have money for extras, and the rest of the state shrinks and consolidates.
https://www.kcrg.com/2022/11/29/sol...llion-bond-vote-some-are-favor-fraction-plan/

You know, it's a city in Johnson county which is a blue section of this red state. Good for them. Let the rural Iowans who voted for Kim and the other cons suffer. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

You know, it's a city in Johnson county which is a blue section of this red state. Good for them. Let the rural Iowans who voted for Kim and the other cons suffer. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.
Yep it didn't take long. I wish I would have posted the blame Kim message beforehand.

Because if the small towns voted Democrat the state would build factories and attractions in the middle of nowhere so the schools would grow.

What’s happening in rural America is inevitable. You need less farmers which means less less supporting population. This isn’t some political rocket science.

We will see more school consolidations and likely many areas will be forced economically to bus kids a long ways. Which will lead to even more people moving to the cities.

My only issue is past consolidations we’re not based on geography as much as they should have been.

• Sad
Reactions: Tom Paris
Solon is Iowa City’s ‘private school’.
A wealthy ‘suburb’ for those who don’t want bigger city kids and issues.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
Solon is Iowa City’s ‘private school’.
A wealthy ‘suburb’ for those who don’t want bigger city kids and issues.
Meh, not really. I have heard several Solon complaints about, "them", being let in. There are minorities.
There are clearly some wealthy folks, but the long term plan for the area includes a lot of single family homes.

Incidentally, City High started a fundraiser to improve athletic facilities, and they are 90 percent of the way to the goal. That's where I'd prefer to see some of the sports facilities funding to come from. The parents donated, and they went out and worked to get places like P&G and Scheels to kick in some money. I think P&G gave $10,000.

Meh, not really. I have heard several Solon complaints about, "them", being let in. There are minorities.
There are clearly some wealthy folks, but the long term plan for the area includes a lot of single family homes.
Low income housing? I really doubt it. I can’t even think of a minority on a current Solon athletic team.
Smaller area rural schools appear to be more diverse.

Low income housing? I really doubt it. I can’t even think of a minority on a current Solon athletic team.
Smaller area rural schools appear to be more diverse.
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a minority athlete there either.

And some of my grandkids play them in boy and girl sports.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Because if the small towns voted Democrat the state would build factories and attractions in the middle of nowhere so the schools would grow.

What’s happening in rural America is inevitable. You need less farmers which means less less supporting population. This isn’t some political rocket science.

We will see more school consolidations and likely many areas will be forced economically to bus kids a long ways. Which will lead to even more people moving to the cities.

My only issue is past consolidations we’re not based on geography as much as they should have been.
Hoping this is sarcasm but thinking it’s not.

It's very possible that I am wrong here .....

But, I think Linn Mar spent $9 million on their new football stadium, and was told by other that it came from the 1 cent sales tax that can't be used on things like, oh I don't know, books or computers,

Now Marion is building a football stadium. A town of 42,000 (plus rural students) certainly MUST have two shinny new stadiums that each school can call their own. :rolleyes:

🤷‍♀️

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a minority athlete there either.

And some of my grandkids play them in boy and girl sports.

What schools in the WAMAC have diversity? My kid is in 8th grade and I think I saw 3 black kids total at his football games this fall.

I like the Solon area and there is definitely money in that town, but let's not act as if it's nothing but 3000k Sq ft homes, it's not. They have low income families just like everywhere else in Iowa.

And they are definitely not the private school of Johnson Co, that's Regina.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
lol, Solon has virtually no low income families or housing. It’s almost all big new subdivisions. Primarily in the vicinity of Lake MacBride and the Coralville Reservoir. Even the older downtown area is getting a big facelift. It’s a place for rich, white people to get ‘out of town’ and build their new house, but yet stay close enough to still get groceries, shop and go work in Iowa City or Cedar Rapids.

Last edited:
lol, Solon has no virtually no low income families or housing. It’s almost all big new subdivisions. Primarily in the vicinity of Lake MacBride and the Coralville Reservoir. Even the older downtown area is getting a big facelift. It’s a place for rich, white people to get ‘out of town’ and build their new house, but yet stay close enough to still get groceries, shop and go work in Iowa City or Cedar Rapids.
This. 300 lot subdivision going in west of town and houses under 500K will be few and far between...

Reactions: Pinehawk
People try to pretend there is a ‘private school advantage’ over public schools.
There really isn’t.
There IS a money, resources, parental and community involvement advantage however.
Many private schools do enjoy that, and Solon does too.

It's very possible that I am wrong here .....

But, I think Linn Mar spent $9 million on their new football stadium, and was told by other that it came from the 1 cent sales tax that can't be used on things like, oh I don't know, books or computers,

Now Marion is building a football stadium. A town of 42,000 (plus rural students) certainly MUST have two shinny new stadiums that each school can call their own. :rolleyes:

🤷‍♀️
You do get that those are two different school districts however, right?

I don't totally disagree with your point, but it's not the same thing as if, say Iowa City wanted to invest on two fancy new stadiums for West and City High.

You do get that those are two different school districts however, right?

I don't totally disagree with your point, but it's not the same thing as if, say Iowa City wanted to invest on two fancy new stadiums for West and City High.
Yes, I know that. But in a community this size don't you think 2 school districts could share a stadium?

lol, Solon has virtually no low income families or housing. It’s almost all big new subdivisions. Primarily in the vicinity of Lake MacBride and the Coralville Reservoir. Even the older downtown area is getting a big facelift. It’s a place for rich, white people to get ‘out of town’ and build their new house, but yet stay close enough to still get groceries, shop and go work in Iowa City or Cedar Rapids.

I live just outside Solon.

Yes, many big houses and plenty of money, but there are also 1000 Sq ft homes right downtown, apartments, and single family townhouses east.

That's like saying Tiffin is all upper class because of all the new subdivisions with $600k homes while ignoring all the older homes off 6 and single family townhouses west of CCA.

Not everyone in town has Bails' money

Old Solon isnt all that.

The rich stuff is only in the last 30 years. It was just a small bedroom town for a long time. They had a bar called the Zoo back in the day that had strippers.

Many of the nicest houses are in unincorporated Johnson County by the reservoir and in the school district, but not in Solon.

Old Solon isnt all that.

The rich stuff is only in the last 30 years. It was just a small bedroom town for a long time. They had a bar called the Zoo back in the day that had strippers.

Many of the nicest houses are in unincorporated Johnson County by the reservoir and in the school district, but not in Solon.
One of the funnier things I think of when I've been in Solon is they built that golf course, Saddleback Ridge about 20 years ago or so, and the Solon city council stupidly chose not to develop housing around that course. Awfully nice course but surrounded by farmland.

Seems like a small amount for a district that size. We're way smaller and proposing a little bit higher bond in March.

Like most of your opinions. Dumb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT