ADVERTISEMENT

Solorio commits to Iowa Women’s Wrestling team

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!
i dont follow womens wrestling to much yet but seems like our womens team gets alot of recruits. Couple questions if anyone can get me up to speed.
-is this a club or varsity sport with scollys?
-is there an actual national champ tourney?
-if its a varsity sport how many D1 programs are there as of now?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: el dub
i dont follow womens wrestling to much yet but seems like our womens team gets alot of recruits. Couple questions if anyone can get me up to speed.

Thanks in advance.
Varsity sport with scholarships. The sport is growing but not as much recruiting pressure/competition as men’s.

Thanks in advance.

It'll be a varsity sport this year with scholarships.
The National Title tourney will be under the NWCA as it has the past few years, hopefully for the last year as it now has enough teams that the NCAA will approve sanctioning an official tournament next year.
Iowa is the only D1 P5 school (Sacred Heart and Presbyterian are also D1), but they now have over 30 combined between D2 and D3 schools, which is why they would qualify to have an offical NCAA tournament going forward.

The National Title tourney will be under the NWCA as it has the past few years, hopefully for the last year as it now has enough teams that the NCAA will approve sanctioning an official tournament next year.
Iowa is the only D1 P5 school (Sacred Heart and Presbyterian are also D1), but they now have over 30 combined between D2 and D3 schools, which is why they would qualify to have an offical NCAA tournament going forward.
Thanks guys.

Reactions: el dub
Welcome to the Hawkeye nation to this talented young lady.
I will be watching all of the women Hawks compete, womens wrestling is becoming more and more competitive and these ladies can get after it.

I will mention to any wrestling fans that have not watched any women compete, take a look at some videos of Helen Maroulis or Yui Susaki from Japan. These women have some of the best technical skills of any wrestlers. Yui may go down as the best wrestler to ever do it by the time she is done.

We need to support the women Hawks!

Reactions: grapplefann
Do you think more P5 schools will adopt this sport

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT