ADVERTISEMENT

Some general thoughts at this point in the season...a little rambling

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Prior to the season starting I was really high on our forwards....Kris, Payton, and Pmac. I thought that they would carry this team pretty well while being slightly concerned about PG play...slightly. I also thought that Rebraca would be somewhat improved over last year and thought and hoped that Connor would be a better shooter based on his finish to last year along with being healthy and concentrating on one sport. So, here are where I see things now.

1) Kris M was out for a significant period of time (I don't know the actual number of games) but during that stretch there were some important games...and I think maybe it was Duke where he played but was clearly not 100%.
2) Payton was off his game.....for 12 games according to him. We are currently 11-6....so over 2/3rds of that time he was off....every fan knows how bad it was.
3) Ulis (the starting PG) missed games with injuries and I think he's still dealing with some ailment of some type.
4) We're currently missing PMAC.
5) I was not planning on or thinking that we were really depending on any freshman to be significant help this season....thinking that Bowen might surprise and play himself into a significant part of the rotation.
6) I thought Tony was going to be really good.
7) I thought Connor would be a solid utility guy that could fill in different spots at different points......and there were others who thought he should just graduate and leave.

So, when comparing my preseason thoughts and expectations with how things have actually played out, there are some real highlights (I tend to be an optimist)!

1) Josh Dix.....really thought that we would be lucky to see him provide any significant this year...thought he should probably redshirt. WOW, he was impressive last night. Still hard for me to believe after that injury that he is playing this well.
2) Rebraca has made a huge leap in his performance....I expected that he would be better, but not this much better. Good job FR!
3) Connor, his value to this team is just unreal.....think of where we would be without him? Just think if he got fed up and decided to hell with it and was done playing.....

To continue with my optimism.....I really still see the potential for this team.

*Just think if we can get everyone reasonably healthy and in the groove....

Let's say TP returns to form of where he was last year (still possible and he has the best head coach to help that happen). Patrick gets back in the groove and plays to his potential. Kris, Payton, and Rebraca continue to perform the way they are capable of playing.

Mulvey continues to give short productive segments to give FR some breaks during the game....didn't mention that but I had hopes that either he or Josh O could be counted on for that prior to the season.

Ulis gets healthy, plays good defense, doesn't commit turnovers and provides steady PG play without scoring a lot......Bowen and Dix continue to show improvement and are now significant contributors...

I think all of that is possible....the question is can we get everyone healthy and in the groove at the same time??? Maybe the basketball gods will allow that right as the NCAA tournament starts!!!

Last edited:
Prior to the season starting I was really high on our forwards....Kris, Payton, and Pmac. I thought that they would carry this team pretty well while being slightly concerned about PG play...slightly. I also thought that Rebraca would be somewhat improved over last year and thought and hoped that Connor would be a better shooter based on his finish to last year along with being healthy and concentrating on one sport. So, here are where I see things now.

1) Kris M was out for a significant period of time (I don't know the actual number of games) but during that stretch there were some important games...and I think maybe it was Duke where he played but was clearly not 100%.
2) Payton was off his game.....for 12 games according to him. We are currently 11-6....so over 2/3rds of that time he was off....every fan knows how bad it was.
3) Ulis (the starting PG) missed games with injuries and I think he's still dealing with some ailment of some type.
4) We're currently missing PMAC.
5) I was not planning on or thinking that we were really depending on any freshman to be significant help this season....thinking that Bowen might surprise and play himself into a significant part of the rotation.
6) I thought Tony was going to be really good.
7) I thought Connor would be a solid utility guy that could fill in different spots at different points......and there were others who thought he should just graduate and leave.

So, when comparing my preseason thoughts and expectations with how things have actually played out, there are some real highlights (I tend to be an optimist)!

1) Josh Dix.....really thought that we would be lucky to see him provide any significant this year...thought he should probably redshirt. WOW, he was impressive last night. Still hard for me to believe after that injury that he is playing this well.
2) Rebraca has made a huge leap in his performance....I expected that he would be better, but not this much better. Good job FR!
3) Connor, his value to this team is just unreal.....think of where we would be without him? Just think if he got fed up and decided to hell with it and was done playing.....

To continue with my optimism.....I really still see the potential for this team.

*Just think if we can get everyone reasonably healthy and in the groove....

Let's say TP returns to form of where he was last year (still possible and he has the best head coach to help that happen). Patrick gets back in the groove and plays to his potential. Kris, Payton, and Rebraca continue to perform the way they are capable of playing.

Mulvey continues to give short productive segments to give FR some breaks during the game....didn't mention that but I had hopes that either he or Josh O could be counted on for that prior to the season.

Ulis gets healthy, plays good defense, doesn't commit turnovers and provides steady PG play without scoring a lot......Bowen and Dix continue to show improvement and are now significant contributors...

I think all of that is possible....the question is can we get everyone healthy and in the groove at the same time??? Maybe the basketball gods will allow that right as the NCAA tournament starts!!!
Love it! I'm a bit concerned about the heavy minutes from Kris and Rebraca come mid/late February, but hopefully we're still in the Tournament discussion and they get a boost from that.

Also, re: pre-season thoughts, I was concerned the bench would be a real issue this year when the starters needed a blow, but lately the bench is really stepping up (assisted by Kris playing the whole game and keeping that scoring threat on the floor).

Keep the surge going Hawks!

Well said………I’m still hoping for Tony Perkins to come to life so to speak. If that happens the Hawks will be tougher. We have several players that can step in to help.

The basketball gods ar3 on our side? Since when?

I love your optimism. Wins do that to people. They played their most thrilling game last night and won it.

Other teams will scout what we’re doing and try to counter it. I like that we have the offense rolling. High 80s and low 90s are good numbers.

To this point, we’ve kinda faced it all: Major upset. Beating ranked teams, sometimes after being buried. Best players on the sidelines. Testing our bench depth. Scoring busts and booms.

I think the biggest thing now is to get Tony Perkins back to being Tony Perkins. He’s a game changer when he’s producing like he’s capable. We’d have 4 all-conference-type players with some quality depth.

Who would want to face that?

I have never thought Perkins would be an above average 3pt guy. So to counter that he HAS to drive and finish. Layups and stop and pop. I think his short game is worse right now than last year, so that lowers his value a lot.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
My biggest question is if we knew we were thin at PG and C, why weren't we getting Bowen and Mulvey more minutes vs. cupcakes?

At that point in the season it becomes a judgment call as to who is going to gain the most from playing those minutes,.. Your primary offense, or the backups?,.. Fran chose to spend those minutes on his starters.

I have never thought Perkins would be an above average 3pt guy. So to counter that he HAS to drive and finish. Layups and stop and pop. I think his short game is worse right now than last year, so that lowers his value a lot.

Not sure if it's that his game is worse, or that he's now a known entity....

Reactions: hawksense
At that point in the season it becomes a judgment call as to who is going to gain the most from playing those minutes,.. Your primary offense, or the backups?,.. Fran chose to spend those minutes on his starters.
Yep...and now we don't have much in the way of proven depth and are turning to Dix to try to shore things up. Teams are going to scout the lack of quality PG play and really start to press us more as the season goes on. At least, that's what I would do.

Reactions: perryhawk
My biggest question is if we knew we were thin at PG and C, why weren't we getting Bowen and Mulvey more minutes vs. cupcakes?
I can't remember which games those were that you are referring to...but I do remember times when I thought it would be good for those guys to get more minutes. That said, I think Fran's first priority is to win games, and if it is reasonably close he's going to play the guys with proven experience.....until Michigan, because those guys were playing well, injured, etc.....

So, play the young guys v win the game......until you think they are ready or until you have to play them more minutes? That's my guess at an answer to your valid question.

Yep...and now we don't have much in the way of proven depth and are turning to Dix to try to shore things up. Teams are going to scout the lack of quality PG play and really start to press us more as the season goes on. At least, that's what I would do.

Some will, some won't,. Playing a lot of press isn't particularly easy, nor is it in every teams play book.

Reactions: hawksense
I can't remember which games those were that you are referring to...but I do remember times when I thought it would be good for those guys to get more minutes. That said, I think Fran's first priority is to win games, and if it is reasonably close he's going to play the guys with proven experience.....until Michigan, because those guys were playing well, injured, etc.....

So, play the young guys v win the game......until you think they are ready or until you have to play them more minutes? That's my guess at an answer to your valid question.

True..

I had repressed our loss to Eastern Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT