ADVERTISEMENT

Some interesting rules changes are coming to baseball in 2023.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Pitch clocks have been tested in the minors, and will apparently will be implemented in the majors next season. This was unexpected. Restrictions on defensive shifts, and the number of pick off attempts by a pitcher will also be implemented. Shift restrictions I thought would get a trial in the minors next season, so that's unexpected, and the thing about limiting pick off attempts is out of the blue.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...clock-shift-restrictions-pickoff-limits-more/

I like it.

Baseball games take waaaay too long and the repeated tries to pick off the runner is tiring.

Just play ball!

Pitch clocks have been tested in the minors, and will apparently will be implemented in the majors next season. This was unexpected. Restrictions on defensive shifts, and the number of pick off attempts by a pitcher will also be implemented. Shift restrictions I thought would get a trial in the minors next season, so that's unexpected, and the thing about limiting pick off attempts is out of the blue.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...clock-shift-restrictions-pickoff-limits-more/
Shift restrictions are being tested in the minors this year. They have been testing a couple different options at different levels. One being must have 2 players on either side of second and the other being can shift but everyone must have their feet on the dirt at the pitch. I watch a lot of AAA games and the pitch clock has cut about a half hour off the games this year.

Baseball was awesome because it didn’t have a clock

the non-shift rule is so dumb it’s only because they want more scoring

might as well add the robot strike zone
You’re being facetious, but baseball needs all those things to stay relevant. It is what it is.

The intent of these rules isn't so much to change the game as it is to return to the style of play it once was, which was far more entertaining.

It's unfortunate that these rules have to exist; I would have thought more hitters would adapt by hitting the other way, but I think it will improve the product on the field.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Theo Epstein helped the Red Sox and Cubs get World Series trophies, and now he's taking on his hardest mission: saving MLB from irrelevance.
Good luck, Theo.

The nutshell version is that the pitcher can still try to pick off the runner after he reaches the limit but it’s a balk if he fails. This will prevent runners from taking a ridiculously large lead.
Balk seems excessive, i would rather the penalty be a called ball

The nutshell version is that the pitcher can still try to pick off the runner after he reaches the limit but it’s a balk if he fails. This will prevent runners from taking a ridiculously large lead.
I read it. Still seems like a ridiculous rule. Runner on the corners and you’re definitely going to take a huge lead and take a chance.

Watching some games tonight and they need to start holding the hitters accountable. There are way too many TO’s called.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
And, the catcher can still attempt to pick off a runner who is getting a big lead. So, if you don't go, or you start to go and loose your footing or for some other reason halt your attempt, there is a good chance the catcher throws to the bag.
So, not a total advantage to the runner.

Why yes, I do.
The technology exists to be better than the current method, so let's get that part right.
poor guy will never work again. Except maybe at first base where he will make the bad controversial call to get himself on sports center, or 3rd base where he will make a bad controversial call to get himself on sports center

Reactions: JWolf74 and SSG T
I would prefer some kind of regulator to ensure that front offices don’t have computers, smart phones, etc that empower the advanced stats crowd from thinking that the World Series is won by using descriptive analytics to make predictive analytical models.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Watching some games tonight and they need to start holding the hitters accountable. There are way too many TO’s called.
Steps out of the box, redo left glove, redo right glove, look around, swing a few times, adjust helmet, steps back in. Every effin pitch. Hell, even LLers are doing this shit now. I'm going to yell at a cloud now.

I get the desire to speed the game up and they should, but I don’t want anything on the field of play being dictated via new rules until everything outside of the field of play has been cut off. No more front office telling the managers what to do during the game, no more calling pitches from the dugout, no more fielding charts from somebody in the operations dept in every player’s pocket, etc.

Hawk let it slip one night a few years ago that no Sox catcher called his own game since Karkovice……25 years ago. That extra 7 or 8 seconds to relay every pitch in from the dugout through the catcher on both teams adds another half hour onto the game

Human error is part of the game. Not everything needs tech.

Human error on one side or the other should be part of the game. Human error among those officiating it should be eliminated where possible.

A pitcher grooves a fastball to Judge, his team pays the price.

Judge misreads a splitter and grounds into a DP, his team pays the price.

Angel Hernandez continually misses strike/balls, which team pays the price? Saying it evens out over the season isn't good enough, not all mistakes are created equal, even with similar calls.

Baseball doesn’t need an electronic strike zone, replay, basically any kind of electronics. They play 162, the missed calls work out over the course of a season unless of course you’re trying to win the World Series of general managing in which case you need an exact call every time in order for your analytical approach to work on a razor thin margin

I like the shift. Makes the batters look dumb as hell, which is why they are getting rid of it.

pitch clock takes a lot of time off minor league games which is nice.

Last edited:
Human error on one side or the other should be part of the game. Human error among those officiating it should be eliminated where possible.

A pitcher grooves a fastball to Judge, his team pays the price.

Judge misreads a splitter and grounds into a DP, his team pays the price.

Angel Hernandez continually misses strike/balls, which team pays the price? Saying it evens out over the season isn't good enough, not all mistakes are created equal, even with similar calls.

Yep. Umps should be graded, but not replaced with tech.

Tech and stats have already made the game inferior.

People forget the entertainment value of an Earl Weaver or Billy Martin. The human side of it. Not some soul-less tech driven exercise in statistics like much of it is now.

Yep. Umps should be graded, but not replaced with tech.

Tech and stats have already made the game inferior.

People forget the entertainment value of an Earl Weaver or Billy Martin. The human side of it. Not some soul-less tech driven exercise in statistics like much of it is now.
Angel Hernandez. Proves the grading means nothing. If the grading had teeth. Then the Robo strike zone wouldn't be needed. In Korean league they demote crap umps to minors

Reactions: blhawk
Angel Hernandez. Proves the grading means nothing. If the grading had teeth. Then the Robo strike zone wouldn't be needed. In Korean league they demote crap umps to minors

I agree then, demote them. That is in MLB's hands. The Umpire's Union has no teeth. The solution isn't tech.

You’re being facetious, but baseball needs all those things to stay relevant. It is what it is.
Really? I watch multiple games every night and subscribe to MLB.tv. They bastardize this game I am fricking done. Make all these changes to cater to people who might passively watch a game only to piss off your core consumer.

I hope Rob Manfred dies in a fire. I hate that SOB.

I go to a fair number of single A games (I live a few miles from the Kannapolis Cannonballers stadium). The pitch clock is awesome. I can take my kids to a game and it is going to be over in just over 2.5 hours. It is consistently between 2 hours and 15 minutes and 2 hours and 45 minutes. I have not been to a game that has gone over 3 hours yet this year.

I am also a Brewers fan and watch a lot of their games on TV. I can count on one hand the number of games this year that have been under 3 hours. Most are well over 3 hours.

Steps out of the box, redo left glove, redo right glove, look around, swing a few times, adjust helmet, steps back in. Every effin pitch. Hell, even LLers are doing this shit now. I'm going to yell at a cloud now.
You do realize hitters work pitchers just as much as pitchers work hitters. It's the psychological part of the game, controlling the at-bat. This stuff is done to disrupt the timing of the pitcher.

Was listening to a Mets game and they were talking about this pitching prospect who did great in the minors where there was a pitch clock and he could stay on schedule and in routine. Gets up to the majors and gets hit around. Major league hitters were controlling the at-bats by stepping out of the box, disrupting the kids timing. The prospect never learned how to control the at-bat as a pitcher or deal with that type of psychological game.

There is so much more happening on every pitch than what you think and fricking Rob Manfred is doing his best to ruin all the subtle nuances of the game and destroy it. Frick that guy.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
I go to a fair number of single A games (I live a few miles from the Kannapolis Cannonballers stadium). The pitch clock is awesome. I can take my kids to a game and it is going to be over in just over 2.5 hours. It is consistently between 2 hours and 15 minutes and 2 hours and 45 minutes. I have not been to a game that has gone over 3 hours yet this year.

I am also a Brewers fan and watch a lot of their games on TV. I can count on one hand the number of games this year that have been under 3 hours. Most are well over 3 hours.
So? You're getting your money's worth then.

ADVERTISEMENT