ADVERTISEMENT

Some media rooting for no football.

DodgerHawki

HR Legend
Nov 19, 2002
Yes, Nicole Auerbach not taking sides at all. Nothing about Ryan Day's statement is declaring war on the conference. I'd have more respect if she and the Dan Wolkens of the world just came out and said they don't think it's safe for any activity to take place until there is a 100% vaccine.

Yes, Nicole Auerbach not taking sides at all. Nothing about Ryan Day's statement is declaring war on the conference. I'd have more respect if she and the Dan Wolkens of the world just came out and said they don't think it's safe for any activity to take place until there is a 100% vaccine.

And we see the same in politics. We know which way these people are bent.

Reactions: indy1203 and pmtdc

Dumb.

Other than use of the word "war", that statement is pretty innocuous. You see what you want to see.

Other than use of the word "war", that statement is pretty innocuous. You see what you want to see.
She didn't casually throw war out there. She said Day were declaring War on the Big 10 in his statement. The Day statement had nothing in it to match her tweet.

Reactions: Herkylian and pmtdc
She didn't casually throw war out there. She said Day were declaring War on the Big 10 in his statement. The Day statement had nothing in it to match her tweet.
CBS said Day was "going all in" against the B10
Cleveland.com writer called it a "preemptive strike"
Sports Illustrated said Day was "taking a shot"

There is little doubt that Day is confronting the B10. Taking offense about the terminology is a little limp wristed.

and "war" is such an innocuous friendly term.
As I already posted, everyone can see that Day is making a strong public complaint, "an attack" perhaps, against the B10. I would not have used the term "war". Substitute "battle" and you have a more accurate description IMO. - "battle" vs. "war"...... big deal, no need to bust open a hemorrhoid.

You can bet if the left was fully in charge there would be no sports going on anywhere yet.

they can’t handle people getting to choose anything.

look at LA, they are still damn near in lockdown and destroying themselves. It’s pathetic.

If you served in one you would not think it was "innocuous" term. Your liberal BS is very tiring and intellectually dishonest.
Except that you completely misread my post, I don't know what tell you champ.

I said .......
Other than use of the word "war", that statement is pretty innocuous
I specifically separated the writer's selection of "war" from the rest of the statement. THE STATEMENT was accurate - that was my point - Day is "battling" the B10. Right now he is issuing pulic statements which are supportive of his players and stating an expectation of playing. If coach Day starts naming people and using derogatory or inflammatory language to attack them then I believe you will have an escalation, possibly even a "war".

Also, there is nothing political in that post.

Honestly, until your reading skills improve you shouldn't be questioning the intellect of anyone.

Last edited:

There is little doubt that Day is confronting the B10. Taking offense about the terminology is a little limp wristed.

This is what our society has become. A minority of people bother to watch or read anything other than what makes them feel good. IMO, confirmation bias is a massive problem in our society. And when you immerse yourself in only "like minded" media, when you are confronted with something that doesn't fit nicely into that box . . . you reach conclusions like the OP . . . that certain media members are "rooting" for football to be cancelled.

I find it rather depressing that there are so many in our society that view our country and the world through "us" versus "them" glasses.

Reactions: OILCHECKER and nu2u

I'm fine with keeping Ohio State from competing for a national championship.

If they're gonna hoard all the talent from the Big Ten and win all the conference championships, then they can just take a f***ing break for a while...........

Reactions: CalmHawk
Journalists like her should probably just stop writing and earning money off of the sport they don't think should be played.

Reactions: indy1203
She’s welcome to her opinion, and everyone else that disagrees should be free to voice why they disagree. Evidently some people have gone too far and have made threats at her, which isn’t cool.

That being said, there are any number of tweets from her that make her stance clear. She thinks people are being irresponsible by wanting to play football, she thinks it puts people at health risk. Personally I think we will have less Covid cases with football because it gives the kids incentives (and the resources) to social distance.

And I definitely feel fans frustration because the media obviously plays an outsized role in setting the narrative that will ultimately determine whether we play or not. And it feels like a disproportionate number of the media have used their platform to create a narrative that playing football is irresponsible and places profits above safety. I think that’s the completely wrong narrative for a lot of different reasons.

journalism is dead
It's never been more alive - too few understand the difference b/w journalism, infotainment and deliberate misinformation.

The argument that sports journalist are rooting against covering the things that their careers and livelihoods depend on are among the shallowest takes out here in the echo chamber.

Comments like this are being willfully ignorant I think. When Nicole says things like all this is about is one team that selfishly wants to play for a national championship, clearly that is not Nicole just stating the facts and nothing more. That’s clearly her editorializing and driving a narrative that many don’t agree with. That said, I agree nobody should go over the line and attack her while disagreeing with her.

what does that mean, "limp wristed"?

This is what our society has become. A minority of people bother to watch or read anything other than what makes them feel good. IMO, confirmation bias is a massive problem in our society. And when you immerse yourself in only "like minded" media, when you are confronted with something that doesn't fit nicely into that box . . . you reach conclusions like the OP . . . that certain media members are "rooting" for football to be cancelled.

I find it rather depressing that there are so many in our society that view our country and the world through "us" versus "them" glasses.

I care more than you. That makes me better than you.

Reactions: youflog1hawk
That they won't take.
I know this is waaay off topic and I’ll show my age when I read your reply with the “won’t take” all I thought about was Mr Mom scene where Keaton is on the phone taking about Victor’s vesectomy from a soap opera and then he say’s “It didn’t take??”.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Depends on what you interpret journalism as being..........

In short: accuracy over agenda. Obviously I'm referring to the "reporting" type of journalism more than opinion, essays, etc. If you want to be a writer, do commentary, make a statement, etc...Do it. We need to hear all voices and view points. That's the beauty and importance of free speech.

But to do so under the auspices of objective, fact-based and robust journalism while calling yourself a "reporter" is dishonest. The inability to separate fact from opinion has become a significant problem in our society, largely driven by the blurring of those lines in professional journalism. How many times do we have to see something inflammatory and sensational reported by a "news" source only to have it proven to be B.S. not long after...to realize we have a serious problem in the 4th estate?

Hyperbole. It's common during uncommon times.

For example, saying that Ryan Day is declaring war on the conference. Or, as another example, saying that some media are rooting for no football.

ADVERTISEMENT