ADVERTISEMENT

Some observations about Kinnick Stadium fan experience

Beattheohiostate

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
I attended the Michigan game, and my group had seats near midfield about halfway up the west (pressbox) side. We had seatbacks. It was the most physically uncomfortable experience my average adult male self has had at a sports venue. The location was just about ideal, yet there was virtually no leg room. It was all but impossible for anyone to walk in front of us, even when we stood. The seatbacks establish your space, but other than that, they themselves are highly uncomfortable. I gazed jealously at the individual seats in the middle of the north end zone and told my group that, should I ever find myself in Kinnick again, it would have to be in one of those seats. I couldn't take another game in those nearly "perfect" west stand seats again.

With all the money that keeps rolling in, Kinnick desperately needs to replace all the bench seats on the east and west stands with individual seats--at least between the 20s to start with.

San Diego State opened its new stadium this fall, and every one of the 35,000 seats is an individual seat, the number one priority fans listed in a predesign poll.

The time and money fans spend on seat licenses, tickets, transportation, meals, and whatever else to attend a single college football game is incredible. And for all their trouble, they're awarded the nation's worst offense and seats to match. Prying people away from those larger and larger TVs is only going to get more and more difficult, so reduce the capacity and install individual seats that contemporary Americans can fit into. That would be my advice, should someone consider it pertinent.

BTW: I also must mention that we bought some water inside Kinnick--a mistake, I know--but in case you aren't aware, they charge $7 a bottle. Even for a sports venue some might consider that price gouging, but then Iowa needs every penny, right?

That will help the problem of having to sit down before your neighbor with the fat ass claims your seat territory, but will do nothing to change the amount of legroom in front of you. And looking at Kinnick, I don't think there's an easy way to solve that particular problem, you'd likely have to gut the entire stadium so at that point you may as well just build an entirely new facility.

FWIW, the legroom at Carver is nearly as bad even though it was constructed 50+ years after Iowa Field/Kinnick Stadium was.

I've sat all over Kinnick in my 42 years of attending games and I absolutely love my front row seats in the NE endzone and will never go back to the sidelines. So much more room and easy to stand at the top of our section by the stairs if you're one of those, like me, who can't sit in one place for 3 1/2 hours straight.

So easy to get in and out of restrooms within a commercial break and you avoid all the awful congestion in the concourse of the sidelines. I'll take my seats over 50 yard line in the middle of the section every day.

Last edited:
I attended the Michigan game, and my group had seats near midfield about halfway up the west (pressbox) side. We had seatbacks. It was the most physically uncomfortable experience my average adult male self has had at a sports venue. The location was just about ideal, yet there was virtually no leg room. It was all but impossible for anyone to walk in front of us, even when we stood. The seatbacks establish your space, but other than that, they themselves are highly uncomfortable. I gazed jealously at the individual seats in the middle of the north end zone and told my group that, should I ever find myself in Kinnick again, it would have to be in one of those seats. I couldn't take another game in those nearly "perfect" west stand seats again.

With all the money that keeps rolling in, Kinnick desperately needs to replace all the bench seats on the east and west stands with individual seats--at least between the 20s to start with.

San Diego State opened its new stadium this fall, and every one of the 35,000 seats is an individual seat, the number one priority fans listed in a predesign poll.

The time and money fans spend on seat licenses, tickets, transportation, meals, and whatever else to attend a single college football game is incredible. And for all their trouble, they're awarded the nation's worst offense and seats to match. Prying people away from those larger and larger TVs is only going to get more and more difficult, so reduce the capacity and install individual seats that contemporary Americans can fit into. That would be my advice, should someone consider it pertinent.

BTW: I also must mention that we bought some water inside Kinnick--a mistake, I know--but in case you aren't aware, they charge $7 a bottle. Even for a sports venue some might consider that price gouging, but then Iowa needs every penny, right?
I'm inclined to agree with you. Asses have gotten a lot bigger over the years. It's time for the seating to follow suit. Turn everything into the North End Zone. Everything about the East and West stands, from the seating to concessions to the bathrooms pretty much sucks.

I hear you.

Stopped going prior to covid for several reasons. One of the big ones was the seating followed by overall stadium experience. Crammed into uncomfortable bench seating with no leg room whatsoever surrounded by the typical obese Iowan just wasn't working for me anymore. Couple that with ridiculous wait times to use toilets, wait times for refreshments, cost of refreshments topped off by every lengthening waits for TV timeouts and it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I had some great times watching games in Kinnick. At this point I'm good with those memories and don't have plans to go back.

I'm assuming you're a Michigan fan? I'm 5'10 and had to pretty much sit diagonally at the Big House or my knees were jamming into the person in front of me. You can't possibly be suggesting that the rows are closer together at Kinnick than Ann Arbor?!?

Stadium was built in 1920s. That side virtually nothing has changed. People were short and skinny back then.

Stadium was built in 1920s. That side virtually nothing has changed. People were short and skinny back then.
And individual seats would still be too small for most people. I've been to concerts in the fairly new Tmobile center in KC and you have to squeeze into the seats sideways to get in and their isn't much leg room either....

Nothing wrong with watching on TV. I enjoy the hell out of watching the Hawks on TV too.

I happen to enjoy the opposing team getting false start penalties more than I care about being able to take a nap in the stadium with a cup holder for my hot cocoa.
Trust me. You waiting 15 minutes in line to take a piss or get a beer or getting squeezed between two fat asses has no bearing on how the opposing team performs or how many false starts they get. In fact, you could argue it keeps you from sitting in your seat and focusing on yelling at the other team.

Last edited:
Jeebus H, modern people are spoiled and overweight.
I'm a svelte guy. It's all the other fat asses encroaching on my space that I have a problem with. I think they ought to make everyone go through a box as wide as a Kinnick seat on the way in. Anyone that fails to easily slide through gets denied entry just like they do for carry on baggage. Seems more than fair.

I've sat all over Kinnick in my 42 years of attending games and I absolutely love my front row seats in the NE endzone and will never go back to the sidelines. So much more room and easy to stand at the top of our section by the stairs if you're one of those, like me, who can't sit in one place for 3 1/2 hours straight.

So easy to get in and out of restrooms within a commercial break and you avoid all the awful congestion in the concourse of the sidelines. I'll take my seats over 50 yard line in the middle of the section every day.
I'll echo what you said. I sit in the front row (in the chair seats about the Pacha Club seats) in the NW EZ. Best choice I could have made. I have a little beef with the beverage selection and the Kinnick staff never seeming to remember to turn on the monitors by the concession stands in the 300 level but other than that I love it up there.

hey you knew about the crappy offense before you went to the game. That's on you :)

Trust me. You waiting 15 minutes in line to take a piss or get a beer or getting squeezed between two fat asses has no bearing on how the opposing team performs or how many false starts they get. In fact, you could argue it keeps you from sitting in your seat and focusing on yelling at the other team.
We disagree. Maybe you’re correct? We’d have to change some things to find out.

One thing is almost certain, and hard to argue against. More people in a small space makes for a louder atmosphere. That is of the unique things about Kinnick.

You are more interested in fan comfort. I’m more interested in opposing team difficulties. There is nothing wrong with either. Ideally you’d have both, I just happen to believe what is needed to give the fan more comfort might decrease the home field advantage.

We can probably both agree it’s a stupid thing to argue about. 😉

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Sorry dude, your screen name gave away the fact you're a Michigan fan.

For the record, I have attended 6 games in your Big House. Mass % of the seats in the end zone. Have sat a few times in the southeast corner and felt about 4 miles from the action. And amazing how quiet the place can be with over 100,000 fans in it-- even my Michigan buddies say that. Even years ago already parking about 2 miles from the stadium was already priced at $40 and likely $75 now.

Last edited:

You obviously have an agenda. The experience at Kinnick (seating, lines for jon/ concessions, food prices) is no worse than at other old college stadiums. It’s especially funny that ur a Meatchicken dude, since the seating space at the Big House is even worse, not to mention that 60,000 of the seats are farther away from the action than any seat at Kinnick.

If the seating at Kinnick was made to be a bit more comfortable (which would be awfully nice), the capacity drops several thousand, easily.
If Ferentz hangs around long enough and continue his antiquated offense seating capacity being less will not be a problem.

Reactions: NAVO
I hear you.

Stopped going prior to covid for several reasons. One of the big ones was the seating followed by overall stadium experience. Crammed into uncomfortable bench seating with no leg room whatsoever surrounded by the typical obese Iowan just wasn't working for me anymore. Couple that with ridiculous wait times to use toilets, wait times for refreshments, cost of refreshments topped off by every lengthening waits for TV timeouts and it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I had some great times watching games in Kinnick. At this point I'm good with those memories and don't have plans to go back.
I second his comments and not to mention people's knees in your back

Reactions: doughuddl2
Sorry dude, your screen name gave away the fact you're a Michigan fan.

For the record, I have attended 6 games in your Big House. Mass % of the seats in the end zone. Have sat a few times in the southeast corner and felt about 4 miles from the action. And amazing how quiet the place can be with over 100,000 fans in it-- even my Michigan buddies say that. Even years ago already parking about 2 miles from the stadium was already priced at $40 and likely $75 now.
Been there a couple times and it is amazing how quiet it is for holding that many people.

Valid complaints. North end zone is the best fan experience IMO.

Having said that, the Big House suffers many of the same problems in addition to being a mile away from the action.

Reactions: GhostAppendage
I would not pick another seat other than the suites/club over where I’m at in the North Endzone. Easy access to concourse, nice seats…the list goes on as others have stated.

Been there a couple times and it is amazing how quiet it is for holding that many people.
Same observation in my 4 trips. It only gets loud when they score a td. And they squeeze in another 40k in similarly tight quarters with same bench seating. I guess OP isn't too impressed with the big house either

Yeah the north endzone takes the cake. Able to get to the bathroom and back during tv commercials. The individual seats are really nice and leg room was good. Is a bit different watching the game from behind and not the tv angle or what you'd get form east/west stands.

And individual seats would still be too small for most people. I've been to concerts in the fairly new Tmobile center in KC and you have to squeeze into the seats sideways to get in and their isn't much leg room either....
No different than new planes. You want leg room, you pay extra for leg room., otherwise load up the cattle and pack em in.

Reactions: warriors dad

Was Saturday your first game in Kinnick Stadium?

ADVERTISEMENT