ADVERTISEMENT

Some observations about Kinnick Stadium fan experience

OP is soft...

115033.jpg

I attended the Michigan game, and my group had seats near midfield about halfway up the west (pressbox) side. We had seatbacks. It was the most physically uncomfortable experience my average adult male self has had at a sports venue. The location was just about ideal, yet there was virtually no leg room. It was all but impossible for anyone to walk in front of us, even when we stood. The seatbacks establish your space, but other than that, they themselves are highly uncomfortable. I gazed jealously at the individual seats in the middle of the north end zone and told my group that, should I ever find myself in Kinnick again, it would have to be in one of those seats. I couldn't take another game in those nearly "perfect" west stand seats again.

With all the money that keeps rolling in, Kinnick desperately needs to replace all the bench seats on the east and west stands with individual seats--at least between the 20s to start with.

San Diego State opened its new stadium this fall, and every one of the 35,000 seats is an individual seat, the number one priority fans listed in a predesign poll.

The time and money fans spend on seat licenses, tickets, transportation, meals, and whatever else to attend a single college football game is incredible. And for all their trouble, they're awarded the nation's worst offense and seats to match. Prying people away from those larger and larger TVs is only going to get more and more difficult, so reduce the capacity and install individual seats that contemporary Americans can fit into. That would be my advice, should someone consider it pertinent.

BTW: I also must mention that we bought some water inside Kinnick--a mistake, I know--but in case you aren't aware, they charge $7 a bottle. Even for a sports venue some might consider that price gouging, but then Iowa needs every penny, right?
You're allowed to bring water in if my memory serves, anyone complaining about concessions has no one to blame but themselves. Heck I'm pretty sure you can bring food too as long as it's visible in the prison bag they allow.

Reactions: natchrlman
Complaining about cramped seating in a stadium/arena is just plain stupid. Stay home and urinate in your own terlit. You jam your ass in those seats for an american sports experience.
Was lucky enough to see a game at the Phog Allen Fieldhouse. Jammed in tighter than any event I've been to, hotter than hell with no oxygen and I loved every second of it.

I attended the Michigan game, and my group had seats near midfield about halfway up the west (pressbox) side. We had seatbacks. It was the most physically uncomfortable experience my average adult male self has had at a sports venue. The location was just about ideal, yet there was virtually no leg room. It was all but impossible for anyone to walk in front of us, even when we stood. The seatbacks establish your space, but other than that, they themselves are highly uncomfortable. I gazed jealously at the individual seats in the middle of the north end zone and told my group that, should I ever find myself in Kinnick again, it would have to be in one of those seats. I couldn't take another game in those nearly "perfect" west stand seats again.

With all the money that keeps rolling in, Kinnick desperately needs to replace all the bench seats on the east and west stands with individual seats--at least between the 20s to start with.

San Diego State opened its new stadium this fall, and every one of the 35,000 seats is an individual seat, the number one priority fans listed in a predesign poll.

The time and money fans spend on seat licenses, tickets, transportation, meals, and whatever else to attend a single college football game is incredible. And for all their trouble, they're awarded the nation's worst offense and seats to match. Prying people away from those larger and larger TVs is only going to get more and more difficult, so reduce the capacity and install individual seats that contemporary Americans can fit into. That would be my advice, should someone consider it pertinent.

BTW: I also must mention that we bought some water inside Kinnick--a mistake, I know--but in case you aren't aware, they charge $7 a bottle. Even for a sports venue some might consider that price gouging, but then Iowa needs every penny, right?
Curious when did Michigan add leg room and remove all the bench seats in Michigan Stadium?

You're allowed to bring water in if my memory serves, anyone complaining about concessions has no one to blame but themselves. Heck I'm pretty sure you can bring food too as long as it's visible in the prison bag they allow.
Yes you can. We have packed our clear bag full and those Per Mar people don't say a word. Need to try throwing a cooked steak in a zip lock and throw it in there sometime just to see if we can get anyone to raise an objection.

Wife and me were discussing walking up the steps after a game, what do you think is the weirdest thing found after a game when people come in to clean the stadium. Has to be some interesting stories.

• Haha

Go over to Carver, You will be very comfy.

I'm a svelte guy. It's all the other fat asses encroaching on my space that I have a problem with. I think they ought to make everyone go through a box as wide as a Kinnick seat on the way in. Anyone that fails to easily slide through gets denied entry just like they do for carry on baggage. Seems more than fair.
Agreed, denied entry or buy two tickets and count the person as two people for attendance.

I'm a svelte guy. It's all the other fat asses encroaching on my space that I have a problem with. I think they ought to make everyone go through a box as wide as a Kinnick seat on the way in. Anyone that fails to easily slide through gets denied entry just like they do for carry on baggage. Seems more than fair.
You do realize this would cause the lines to literally stop because half of the people coming in wouldn't fit? My friend and I sat next to 2 extremely wide people for many years and suffered for it. We finally bought seat backs and the problem went away for the most part, but the women in front of us who liked to lean back got very bitchy about our knees 🙂

You do realize this would cause the lines to literally stop because half of the people coming in wouldn't fit? My friend and I sat next to 2 extremely wide people for many years and suffered for it. We finally bought seat backs and the problem went away for the most part, but the women in front of us who liked to lean back got very bitchy about our knees 🙂
So no fatties and half the people. Think of the space available and lack of lines man. Talk about luxury!!

Cry me a river.
Question, how do you put individual seats with the height and depth of the steps? Hint - you can’t. It’s a significant structural change.

so, you best just stay away

Complaining about cramped seating in a stadium/arena is just plain stupid. Stay home and urinate in your own terlit. You jam your ass in those seats for an american sports experience.
Was lucky enough to see a game at the Phog Allen Fieldhouse. Jammed in tighter than any event I've been to, hotter than hell with no oxygen and I loved every second of it.

Yah what a pathetic OP. Just awful stuff. I cant imagine living next to this guy.

Yeah the north endzone takes the cake. Able to get to the bathroom and back during tv commercials. The individual seats are really nice and leg room was good. Is a bit different watching the game from behind and not the tv angle or what you'd get form east/west stands.
Yeah, but those seats have never been open when I get to select.

Kinnick Stadium > your version of Kinnick Stadium

Also, Iowa > your team/your version of Iowa

Deal with it.

Part of the allure and uniqueness of college football is that it's played on college campi, often in older classic stadiums. If you don't appreciate that, it may not be your thing.

If you think Kinnick is crowded now, you should have been to a game prior to the 2005 remodel. It was asses and elbows. Rows with a number of "larger" people were impossible to sit in, people were constantly bickering over space.

Around 2000 the University was debating a new stadium vs a rehab of Kinnick. I'm glad we're still in Kinnick.

FYI, UNI is announcing renovations to the UNI-Dome this weekend as part of homecoming and the new "Our Tomorrow" campaign.

New purple seatback chairs will replace the benches and premium seating will be added. Additionally more bathrooms, wider concourse and several more upgrades.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

letterkenny-10ply-bud.gif

FYI, UNI is announcing renovations to the UNI-Dome this weekend as part of homecoming and the new "Our Tomorrow" campaign.

New purple seatback chairs will replace the benches and premium seating will be added. Additionally more bathrooms, wider concourse and several more upgrades.

I like it

Get tickets in the North end zone… plenty of leg and ass room.

I gave up my season tickets a few years ago… If I still had them I would only request seats in the North end zone.

I've sat all over Kinnick in my 42 years of attending games and I absolutely love my front row seats in the NE endzone and will never go back to the sidelines. So much more room and easy to stand at the top of our section by the stairs if you're one of those, like me, who can't sit in one place for 3 1/2 hours straight.

So easy to get in and out of restrooms within a commercial break and you avoid all the awful congestion in the concourse of the sidelines. I'll take my seats over 50 yard line in the middle of the section every day.
I love it that one can go to concession stand when we are on offense and not miss anything. Just like at home during commercials!!!

I'm totally good with my 70 inch HD, mini frig with beer and booze, bathroom 10 ft from my lounger, and all the low cost snacks I can handle. To compound it with this on the field garbage KF is feeding us this year, staying at home is the right choice.
Glad to hear you are happy being close to the powder room.

• Love

we stand the whole game and support our team….. I was at the game and only sat during halftime…….toughen up buttercup

The seating and the amenities in the North End Zone are fantastic I just hate the sight line.

I detest sitting at Kinnick. the bench seating is the worst. Then on top of that you are packed in like sardines.There's a couple of guys in your row that are wide enough to take up two spaces. Some idiot a couple of rows above you gets the brown bottle flu and yaks up everything he's had that day. The yak drains down to were you are sitting and gets under your feet. So you stand all game not because of the action on the field,but because its the most comfortable way to 'sit'. Other than that ,its awsome!

I detest sitting at Kinnick. the bench seating is the worst. Then on top of that you are packed in like sardines.There's a couple of guys in your row that are wide enough to take up two spaces. Some idiot a couple of rows above you gets the brown bottle flu and yaks up everything he's had that day. The yak drains down to were you are sitting and gets under your feet. So you stand all game not because of the action on the field,but because its the most comfortable way to 'sit'. Other than that ,its awsome!
So a guy puking is a problem with the stadium?

Stand up on the sides and if you want to sit comfortably, sit in the south or north endzone. Iowa needs to recreate the south endzone just like the north to amp up the volume even more.
I bet they are kicking themselves for not doing that in the first place. I never understood why they didn't add club seating
So a guy puking is a problem with the stadium?
Its part of the stadium experience you don't get anywhere else. That and the overpriced concessions and standing in lines. Don't care to put up with it anymore. I'll just watch the game from a tailgate.

I bet they are kicking themselves for not doing that in the first place. I never understood why they didn't add club seating

Its part of the stadium experience you don't get anywhere else. That and the overpriced concessions and standing in lines. Don't care to put up with it anymore. I'll just watch the game from a tailgate.
People only get drunk and puke in Kinnick stadium. Right.

Doesn't michigan still use benches? Why should we change and you dont?

ADVERTISEMENT