ADVERTISEMENT

Some observations from tonight v BC

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Pretty happy with the defensive effort.....wasn't perfect, still some things to work on, but more effort and intensity on that end that I recall for a while. We had some cold shooting stretches and still beat them up pretty good....and watching a few of the other B10 games I think BC was a decent opponent comparatively.

Sandfort...wow. He is a very good all around player. Not just a shooter. His passing tonight was really good.
Perkins....he's the swiss army knife. Very good all around player.
Murray.....really good and didn't need to play a lot of minutes. Good job by Fran to limit minutes in a game like this.
Rebraca definitely looks like he has taken his game to a new level.
Patrick....I wonder if he is under the weather? I just didn't see the energy or the bounce...hope he's feeling okay.

Bowen...yeah, he is a nifty passer and good at penetration. Should have a great career at Iowa.
Ulis....I thought played strong, looked good and comfortable as the PG even though he's not a big time scorer. Loved the run the play down and block the shot from behind play.
Dix...shot was off tonight but he certainly appears to be someone who will contribute to this team this year at a level that I really doubted before the season started.
Connor....shot is looking good and I think he is really playing that coach on the floor with the second unit.....tremendous value to help bring this team along....probably first or second off the bench in the big games.

Josh looked better tonight.....how much more can we get out of him?

Riley looks engaged and did hustle tonight...got a good block from behind.

First real game so take this for what it's worth, but really good passing as a team. Tony, Payton, and Dasonte seemed like really good passers. Kris a more willing passer than his brother. Looks like this should be a better passing team and better at sharing the ball...

OP, you said a lot of what I was going to. A few things to back up your statements or maybe other observations.

Dix- No matter what, I am still shocked he is ready to play at this level after his injury last year. Great to see him out there.

Connor- everything you said plus looks more confident in his stroke.

JO- the dude has got to be stronger with the ball in his hands. Got it knocked away a few times and he is still learning how to use his body. Could not believe the eurostep finish and the body control on that.

Mulvey- Agree 100%. Wonder what minutes will look like for him. Great block and sprinted down the floor. I think Kingsbury missed him for an open layup.

Bowen- looks like a more under control Joe T.

Ulis- Fran said pre game that he was starting to score well. I didn't see a ton of that tonight but it's game one.

Perkins and Sandfort are going to be really good this year. Kris really didn't have to do much.

Good run down. I was hoping for more offensive game from Bowen…but it is extremely early. A pass first, low turn PG is luxury however.

We shot a combined 18% from 3 from 5 of our key players. Fran said in the postgame that he told Josh Dix (0-5) to keep firing.

Kinda ironic that the McCaffery boys, the whipping boys, were a combined 5-8 (63%) from 3. Against the better teams, hopefully we don't die by the 3 (like we did last year in the NCAA Tournament).

3 point shooting tonight:

1-4 Kris
3-9 Payton
0-5 Dix
0-1 Bowen
0-3 Ulis
4-22 (18%) for the 5 Players above

3-5 (60%) Patrick
2-3 (67%) Connor
2-2 (100%) Tony

0-1 (0%) Laketa, in 3 minutes of mop up duty

11-33 (33%) Team Total
=========

Last edited:
Patrick had an off night which happens. What is getting to borderline on the absurd is how fundamentally bad he is with the dribble. I thought he showed signs he was growing out of this towards the end of last season but last night was bad decision after bad decision off the bounce.

He has a great skill set for Fran's system-- long, athletic, can score at all 3 levels, etc., but he needs a reality check on his ballhandling skills. Take the open 3, use a couple bounces to get to a spot for a pull up or kick and get out in transition. Let Perkins, Ulis, Bowen, etc., attack off the bounce.

I almost hope that Patrick is under the weather a little bit, he looked slow and clumsy.

Connor‘s shot looks sooooo much better. If he can make 35% from the 3 that changes everything.

Peyton is more than a shooter. He has great vision and instincts. He could play point guard or center and look natural doing both. I thought his defense was solid, too.

Jelly showed some flashes of what he could be. He has good hands but agree he needs to be stronger with them. Needs to stop dribbling when posting up. His footwork is pretty surprising for a guy his size.

Rebraca was the big surprise to me. He looks stronger, taller and more explosive. Love that he got a double double, exactly the kind of effort and efficient we need. The blocked shot was magnificent.

Bruno’s quick hits:

You can definitely see the progression of sandforts game and body. I thought he looked leaner and more athletic out there.

Bowen will be a good one but he will struggle at least this year on defense with stronger guards, Love his offense game though.

I think we are seeing Fran’s next great development playe in Tony Perkins. He has all the tools to be great on defense and his offense game has progressed to a more mature game. He was in control, chose his spots, able to get in the lane easily, and made 3s (this is the biggest thing). If he can consistently make 3s this year then watch out!

Another year in the program has done some good things with Filip. He looked bouncier and quicker out there. Would love to see him develop an outside shot.

I think P Mac is the key to this year. I think Perkins, Murray, and rebracca will all be good this year, but if p Mac can elevate his game, then we could be really good.

However, I think P Mac looks lost out there at times. Sometimes he wants to be a pg, other times he wants to be a shooter, and sometimes he wants to mix it up down low. Unfortunately, he doesn't do any of these things well.

I would like to see him dedicate himself to the defense and work on being an outlet man who can cut to the rim for easy buckets.

Reactions: Mitjacks
I think P Mac is the key to this year. I think Perkins, Murray, and rebracca will all be good this year, but if p Mac can elevate his game, then we could be really good.

However, I think P Mac looks lost out there at times. Sometimes he wants to be a pg, other times he wants to be a shooter, and sometimes he wants to mix it up down low. Unfortunately, he doesn't do any of these things well.

I would like to see him dedicate himself to the defense and work on being an outlet man who can cut to the rim for easy buckets.
I think Pmac has all the tools. I would also love to see him really dedicate himself on the defensive end..with his length and athleticism he could be a shut down defender.

I found your comment about his looking lost interesting.....he could still be trying to figure out his role on this years team. I took it that he lacked energy and might be under the weather....but you could be on the right track. This was the first game of the year and the rest of the guys looked pretty much in the groove.....that said, Kris might be in that mode as well....still trying to determine how he will play with this group. That said, he has a pretty good night for the limited number of minutes he played.

I will add this...Patrick actually did shoot a really good percentage from 3.......I think I read/saw where he was 3 for 5 from 3 point range? Lets hope he's still trying to find his comfort zone with this group of players....still trying to find where he should assert himself and where he shouldn't.

What is getting to borderline on the absurd is how fundamentally bad he is with the dribble.
Not good, occasionaly atrocious. You could position PMac closer to the basket to minmize the damage but he is a 3PT threat so what do you do?

Not good, occasionaly atrocious. You could position PMac closer to the basket to minmize the damage but he is a 3PT threat so what do you do?
PMac moves well without the ball. He can shoot pretty well from a set or with 1-2 dribbles, but more than that and he seems to drive into double/triple teams with no idea of what he is going to do. He isn't aware of his teammates as much as Tony, Kris, and Payton are. Is he selfish or does he just not have the capability to see the floor like they do? I think it's a combination of both.

PMac moves well without the ball. He can shoot pretty well from a set or with 1-2 dribbles, but more than that and he seems to drive into double/triple teams with no idea of what he is going to do. He isn't aware of his teammates as much as Tony, Kris, and Payton are. Is he selfish or does he just not have the capability to see the floor like they do? I think it's a combination of both.
Yep. Watching PM dribbling around the perimeter is nerve-racking.

I think Pmac has all the tools. I would also love to see him really dedicate himself on the defensive end..with his length and athleticism he could be a shut down defender.

I found your comment about his looking lost interesting.....he could still be trying to figure out his role on this years team. I took it that he lacked energy and might be under the weather....but you could be on the right track. This was the first game of the year and the rest of the guys looked pretty much in the groove.....that said, Kris might be in that mode as well....still trying to determine how he will play with this group. That said, he has a pretty good night for the limited number of minutes he played.

I will add this...Patrick actually did shoot a really good percentage from 3.......I think I read/saw where he was 3 for 5 from 3 point range? Lets hope he's still trying to find his comfort zone with this group of players....still trying to find where he should assert himself and where he shouldn't.
I wonder how the loss of his buddy Joe T is affecting him?

Really like the makeup of the roster between veterans and new guys. Should be a fun season.
My only two concerns are i) rebounding and ii) the second unit is going to result in some scoring droughts until everyone learns their roles and/or Fran figures out how to best rotate the starters, but that's to be expected.
Go Hawks

Reactions: IAGuy
I am tapping the brakes a bit until we play some Power 6 teams. It's hard to learn a ton against Bethune and NC A&T (Friday), where we blow the teams out.

I will be interested to see how we do on the road 8 days from now (Nov 16) when we play at Seton Hall. The rotation will be 9, maybe 10 (if Ogundele gets into the game). People for years have wanted Fran to use no more than a 9 man rotation; well, this year, we probably will finally see it.

Patrick had an off night which happens. What is getting to borderline on the absurd is how fundamentally bad he is with the dribble. I thought he showed signs he was growing out of this towards the end of last season but last night was bad decision after bad decision off the bounce.

He has a great skill set for Fran's system-- long, athletic, can score at all 3 levels, etc., but he needs a reality check on his ballhandling skills. Take the open 3, use a couple bounces to get to a spot for a pull up or kick and get out in transition. Let Perkins, Ulis, Bowen, etc., attack off the bounce.
Agree. He really needs to pick up his intensity and play like he is 6'9"

PM did look under the weather to me as well.

They looked good for an opening night. I expect good things this year. I really liked the way the starters played and loved the energy PR and JO brought.

Reactions: perryhawk
I guess I have a somewhat opposing view of the game. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I watched the game with no audio. It appeared to me there was definitely a step up in the defensive intensity. It wasn't perfect, but everyone on the floor seemed to be giving it a great effort. It was on the offensive end of the court that alarmed me. I thought a lot of the time we looked very herky jerky, stumbling around and making questionable passes, many of which were actually completed. I thought the motion offense left much to be desired. I'm chalking it up to it being the first game of the year with a lot if different combinations on the floor, so I don't believe any concrete opinions can be formed. Hopefully, we get it straightened out on Friday and then we're ready for step up in the competition against the Hall.

I guess I have a somewhat opposing view of the game. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I watched the game with no audio. It appeared to me there was definitely a step up in the defensive intensity. It wasn't perfect, but everyone on the floor seemed to be giving it a great effort. It was on the offensive end of the court that alarmed me. I thought a lot of the time we looked very herky jerky, stumbling around and making questionable passes, many of which were actually completed. I thought the motion offense left much to be desired. I'm chalking it up to it being the first game of the year with a lot if different combinations on the floor, so I don't believe any concrete opinions can be formed. Hopefully, we get it straightened out on Friday and then we're ready for step up in the competition against the Hall.
I think that Fran mentioned in his post game that the motion offense needed work…..

Sounds trivial, but I was encouraged how well Mulvey can run the floor. Something just hasn't kicked in mentally for him, despite his acknowledging that before the season. He needs to really want to earn playing time. We won't know what he can bring until he gets some meaningful minutes, and that might not happen unless one of the inside rotation guys is unavailable.

Reactions: perryhawk
OP, you said a lot of what I was going to. A few things to back up your statements or maybe other observations.

Dix- No matter what, I am still shocked he is ready to play at this level after his injury last year. Great to see him out there.

Connor- everything you said plus looks more confident in his stroke.

JO- the dude has got to be stronger with the ball in his hands. Got it knocked away a few times and he is still learning how to use his body. Could not believe the eurostep finish and the body control on that.

Mulvey- Agree 100%. Wonder what minutes will look like for him. Great block and sprinted down the floor. I think Kingsbury missed him for an open layup.

Bowen- looks like a more under control Joe T.

Ulis- Fran said pre game that he was starting to score well. I didn't see a ton of that tonight but it's game one.

Perkins and Sandfort are going to be really good this year. Kris really didn't have to do much.
Bowen is a far more talented player.

Tell him to stop trying to go one on one with the ball. Its really simple.

Spot up, cut, pass, screen away, keep moving, don't dribble.

Try to play like Sandfort does and stop trying to be a guard,

He's being defended by smaller quicker players at the 3 and he's not going anywhere off the dribble because of that.

Reactions: nu2u
Tell him to stop trying to go one on one with the ball. Its really simple.

Spot up, cut, pass, screen away, keep moving, don't dribble.

Try to play like Sandfort does and stop trying to be a guard,

He's being defended by smaller quicker players at the 3 and he's not going anywhere off the dribble because of that.
Evidently, Fran and Patrick doesn't see your way of thinking or he would be playing that way by now. Not that I disagree with you, but Patrick is a very unique player that can add a lot for Iowa from game to game. Not every player is going to put up Keegan numbers every game so whatever we get out of Patrick from game to game is OK with me. No complaints none, just keep on doing what he' doing. I'm excited to see where this team takes us. I'm sure he was very disappointed with his free throw misses. He appears to be a very motivated player and it's a long season.....

Rebraca beefed up was great to see. Liked what i saw from bowen and ulis. Will be fun to see bowen start getting some min w the big 4. Cmac will be important this year with the young group off the bench. Perkins, Pmac, kris and Sandfort are all studs. Gonna be a fun team to watch!

Bethune Cookman only had 5 assists through 30 minutes and 11 for the game. The point of switching is too not give angles off of screens and force players to make one on one plays. In that way, I thought our switching defense dictated the way they played. I'm kind of used to us zoning out mentally on defense in these kind of blowouts and am happy that the bench guards kept the energy up there.

I thought Filip overextended a few times on screens, but not enough that I'd be super worried.

Ogundele was responsible for a couple of off the ball breakdowns late. The euro step layup was cool, but he's not going to play if attention to detail is lacking. Wouldn't extend the rotation further than 9 to maintain the switching defense.

I liked seeing Ulis show some rebounding range. Would be huge given the lack of a true center plus he can initiate breaks from there. I'm going to go to bat for him a lot. Good communicator, good handles, and if he can finish strong like he did late he'll be really valuable regardless of shooting.

I keep making the same mistake with Tony. I always come into a year liking him, but underestimating just how good he is. Looks like I made that same mistake again. That inside out dribble was filthy.

Evidently, Fran and Patrick doesn't see your way of thinking or he would be playing that way by now. Not that I disagree with you, but Patrick is a very unique player that can add a lot for Iowa from game to game. Not every player is going to put up Keegan numbers every game so whatever we get out of Patrick from game to game is OK with me. No complaints none, just keep on doing what he' doing. I'm excited to see where this team takes us. I'm sure he was very disappointed with his free throw misses. He appears to be a very motivated player and it's a long season.....
Yes clearly, Fran is ok with Pat probing the lane with the dribble despite the results but it did largely go away twoards the end of last year and Patrick was a far more efficient player for it.

Patrick does have the ability to handle the ball but its mostly negated by playing the 3 where his defender is smaller, lower and quicker.

If Fran wants to iso Pat he should put him in some ball screens with Philip where he can get a big switched onto him.

Connor‘s shot looks sooooo much better. If he can make 35% from the 3 that changes everything.

Peyton is more than a shooter. He has great vision and instincts. He could play point guard or center and look natural doing both. I thought his defense was solid, too.

Jelly showed some flashes of what he could be. He has good hands but agree he needs to be stronger with them. Needs to stop dribbling when posting up. His footwork is pretty surprising for a guy his size.

Rebraca was the big surprise to me. He looks stronger, taller and more explosive. Love that he got a double double, exactly the kind of effort and efficient we need. The blocked shot was magnificent.
That sounds great, but I'm pretty sure at what 23 or 24 Rebraca didn't get Taller..... o_O

Reactions: Mohawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT