Some perspective is Important

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
The last three games we have played three defenses in the top 8 in the country. We played two of them on the road...one where B10 teams go to die...The Shoe.

Listen...the issues with the Iowa offense are many. It starts up front with the play of a young offensive line...it's been abysmal the past three weeks. QB play has been poor...and Petras regressed yesterday to a place that was shocking. The first throw...really...you have to throw it away...they rolled up their defense to that side. I knew it was going to be a long day from that one play. We also don't have a WR that is anywhere near elite...I'm talking same zip code as elite. These are all problems that can tank an offense against GREAT defenses.

That being said...the level of defense we will play over the last five weeks is nowhere near what we have seen the last three. I think our defense will keep everyone, but maybe Purdue, from scoring three TDs. That means we likely need 17 to 20 points to win these final five games. With the drop in competition...I think it's doable. I think 4-1 is likely...and if you asked me...I'd take 7-5 right now every day of the week.

I also think it's time to stop the damn rotations on the offensive line. Pick five and let them play 3 quarters...sub in the fourth if someone isn't getting it done. You are experienced coaches...after seven freaking games...you should know who your best five are. Play them and let them get better.

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
4-1 likely? Hmmm. That’s debatable, given the non-existent offense.. Hope you are right.
It's based on what I think our defense will be able to do against these five teams. I'll be really surprised if any of them, minus Purdue because Brohm owns us, will be able to score more than 13 points. We will also likely see more short fields.

TheRealHerky

HR MVP
Dec 1, 2001
The morale of the defense will be tested . The locker room will be a little more divided with every shockingly bad offensive performance. The offense is so bad that it is now making the defense look bad. Never good for morale. The offense is regressing, the QB play is getting worse. The O line is not improving. Its futile. There is one more win somewhere on the schedule, but that's it.

DBQ Hawk

HR All-American
Oct 16, 2005
Perspective?

We will beat NW, that seems probable

But Purdue and Wisky look like losses. Even with our great defense, it seems likely if they can score just 14 points, they will likely win those games

Minny is away, and they are overdue to beat us. They have a lot of talent on offense, and we have little. As above, all it will take is for them to score 14 and we'll lose

Nebraska is a big ??? They seem to be improving each week, and we seem to be in a decline. If that trend continues, we will lose to them in Kinnick, all it will take is for them to score more than 20 points

Worst case is 4-8, best case is 6-6. But I think an honest assessment of ourselves and our competition is that 4-8 is more likely

LetsGoHawks83

HR Legend
Mar 20, 2015
I'm ok with a short term dumpster fire, if it results in a new OC. The heat appears to be getting turn up and fans are screaming as loud as any time in the past. (Kirk's boss could care less though)

KF has one more attempt to hire a young innovative OC and turn things around.

I think a change will be made at OC... But KF probably won't go with an up and comer... Can't be worse than BF.... Right!?,

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
Haven't all the Sophmore Olinemen been in the Iowa program for three years? If that's accurate when are you not considered "Young" anymore?
No...Colby is a true soph and Jones is playing a new position, so essentially his first year. Three or four of these guys had never played before. Listen...I'm not defending them. They should be better than they are and I'd clean house and bring in a new OL coach. If I'm KF, I'm begging Marshal Yanda to take the position.

Reactions: WaterTower

Heathen Raider

HR All-State
Dec 15, 2021
The past 3 Weeks the QB play has been abysmal? Try the last 1.5 Years. Petras has stunk up the entire State with His bad play, Stats have no emotions, look at His career stats, He makes Jake Christenson look like Nile Kinnick, There isnt another Team in America that wouldnt have already fired BF and Barnett at this point, The OL has shown zero improvement , There has been 1 good OL the last 2 Years and none of the other OL has shown improvement, many have regressed from being bad last Year to being attrocious this Year. There is zero defense for the Offense , RBs have been ok and TEs have been ok, Betts and Hodge should be the only Staff Members retained on the Offensive side of the Ball for 2023 , and a good number of Players on that side of the ball should have rides not renewed and the spots filled with Recruits and the Portal with a New OC and OL Coach with the hope that by 2024 The offense is serviceable, there is no quick fix to the shambles Kirk has fostered on the Offensive side of the ball.

jonesy5960

HR Heisman
Sep 6, 2012
No...Colby is a true soph and Jones is playing a new position, so essentially his first year. Three or four of these guys had never played before. Listen...I'm not defending them. They should be better than they are and I'd clean house and bring in a new OL coach. If I'm KF, I'm begging Marshal Yanda to take the position.
I think what's most discouraging is looking at who played a lot last year and so far this year. Colby, Richman, DeJong, and Plumb have all played a lot of games now. They are all in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th years in the program respectively. Mylinski who is in his 2nd or 3rd year was surpassed by a d lineman who has been bad. These guys aren't developing. None of them look better this year.

Feb 25, 2008
I was gonna make this it's own thread, but I suppose this is as good a place as any. As the OP mentioned, here are the current rankings for every team on our schedule in terms of just total defense:

South Dakota State 3rd (FCS)
Iowa State 10th
Nevada 76th
Rutgers 7th
Michigan 5th
Illinois 1st
Ohio State 2nd
Northwestern 97th
Purdue 44th
Wisconsin 33rd
Minnesota 12th
Nebraska 124th

So we've faced 5 teams in the top 10, and 6 if you count SDSU. And 9 teams in the top 50 (including SDSU) in total defense.

Yes, our offense would suck regardless of who we play..............but this schedule certainly hasn't helped.

NevadaHawk

HR Legend
Jul 2, 2001
Colorado USA
Agree, just like all the years of the Ferentz era - you will roll up a bunch of wins against horrible West teams and all will be well. Dont rule out another extension for Kirk!
KF is under contract through 2029 when he will be 74 years old. I highly doubt he is looking for another extension. I believe he retires before his current contract expires.

Dargo

HR MVP
Jun 13, 2020
This offense is historically bad in almost every category. It doesn’t matter who we have played, there is no excuse for the offense to be this brutal. What happened against ISU and SDSU, even Nevada? The last two years the offense is a the bottom of the nation.

Greenway4Prez

HR Legend
Jan 10, 2005
I think what's most discouraging is looking at who played a lot last year and so far this year. Colby, Richman, DeJong, and Plumb have all played a lot of games now. They are all in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th years in the program respectively. Mylinski who is in his 2nd or 3rd year was surpassed by a d lineman who has been bad. These guys aren't developing. None of them look better this year.
I don’t think this can be overstated.

We aren’t new to playing 2nd and 3rd year guys on the OL. Colby was highly recruited and looked strong last season (Mike Jones, Bulaga, Wirfs had done this too) and he looks downright bad this year. Moving him to tackle has been a bad idea; it weakens us at two positions. DeJong, Plumb and Richman are the same as they were last year.

We could make a long, long list of guys who played “early” and improved, or who bloomed late and became NFL level players…it happened with regularity. NONE of that is happening this year.

I’m repeating myself, but Mike Tomlin went on a bit of a rant on a podcast a few months ago about draft evaluations and how we pick players apart for what they can’t do. He said, “No. It’s that these players weren’t coached HOW to do those things.” And he’s exactly right. If anyone cares, follow Geoff Schwartz on Twitter (Brian Baldinger is another good one) He regularly posts videos and analysis of good line play. A few examples recently were Oregon’s OL from yesterday blowing up UCLA, and watching their technique was flatout depressing (but still really impressive) because you could visibly see the difference between being coached well and being coached horribly.

I can handle being physically beat. But the amount of errors being made that result from pisspoor technique is troubling. Barnett was at Tulane for a couple months before we hired him, Miami (OH) before that. You can’t tell me there wasn’t someone else (AJ Blazek) with better experience (Blazek) at a higher level who wouldn’t (Blazek) have come here.

lettheparamedicssortemout

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2022
The last three games we have played three defenses in the top 8 in the country. We played two of them on the road...one where B10 teams go to die...The Shoe.

Listen...the issues with the Iowa offense are many. It starts up front with the play of a young offensive line...it's been abysmal the past three weeks. QB play has been poor...and Petras regressed yesterday to a place that was shocking. The first throw...really...you have to throw it away...they rolled up their defense to that side. I knew it was going to be a long day from that one play. We also don't have a WR that is anywhere near elite...I'm talking same zip code as elite. These are all problems that can tank an offense against GREAT defenses.

That being said...the level of defense we will play over the last five weeks is nowhere near what we have seen the last three. I think our defense will keep everyone, but maybe Purdue, from scoring three TDs. That means we likely need 17 to 20 points to win these final five games. With the drop in competition...I think it's doable. I think 4-1 is likely...and if you asked me...I'd take 7-5 right now every day of the week.

I also think it's time to stop the damn rotations on the offensive line. Pick five and let them play 3 quarters...sub in the fourth if someone isn't getting it done. You are experienced coaches...after seven freaking games...you should know who your best five are. Play them and let them get better.
Newsflash...our offense has sucked vs EVERYONE!! Even most teams last year dominated our offense!

4-1 is likely? I'll gladly take that bet. Did you actually watch our games last year vs neb, nw, pu, wi? Hell even mn wasn't a great game but thankfully pj is a moron :). There was nothing shocking about how poorly petrash played, he's always sucked and always will. Our coaches were too lazy to replace him or any OL in the portal, which says a lot about the future!

Sorry to sound like an ass, but these homer posts are just silly!

83Hawk

HR Legend
Sep 17, 2002
It's based on what I think our defense will be able to do against these five teams. I'll be really surprised if any of them, minus Purdue because Brohm owns us, will be able to score more than 13 points. We will also likely see more short fields.
Problem is……our offense can’t score. The defense can’t shut everyone down all the time. 13 points is more than enough to beat the Hawks.

TonyTheTiger.1865

HR All-American
Sep 23, 2011

We couldn't score against an FCS team.

WaterTower

HR Heisman
Nov 4, 2004
I'm ok with a short term dumpster fire, if it results in a new OC. The heat appears to be getting turn up and fans are screaming as loud as any time in the past. (Kirk's boss could care less though)

KF has one more attempt to hire a young innovative OC and turn things around.

I think a change will be made at OC... But KF probably won't go with an up and comer... Can't be worse than BF.... Right!?,
None of that fancy let em have fun spread Os for Ole KF.

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
Newsflash...our offense has sucked vs EVERYONE!! Even most teams last year dominated our offense!

4-1 is likely? I'll gladly take that bet. Did you actually watch our games last year vs neb, nw, pu, wi? Hell even mn wasn't a great game but thankfully pj is a moron :). There was nothing shocking about how poorly petrash played, he's always sucked and always will. Our coaches were too lazy to replace him or any OL in the portal, which says a lot about the future!

Sorry to sound like an ass, but these homer posts are just silly!
We went 4-1 last year in the last five and our offensive line was younger and our defense wasn't as good as it is this year. Let it play out.

• Haha
Reactions: BuckeyeAlumnus

Gonzo Bloor

HR All-American
Oct 13, 2016
We can't score more than 13. We've seen short fields for our offense all season and they still can't do sh*t. Check Illini game.

Reactions: wxhawk

MeetTheFerentzes

HR MVP
Silver Member
Sep 6, 2022
We will really get some perspective if the Hawks drop the game this weekend vs. Northwestern. This is the angriest the fan base has ever been. The boo-birds will be out in full force Saturday for any and all incompetence on the offensive side of the ball. Will be a beautiful Homecoming game. If Iowa loses, as 10 point favorites against a 1-win team with a 6-game losing streak that hasn't won on American soil, I swear the program is going to burn.

Reactions: FireBrianFerentz

Beattheohiostate

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
Iowa has also played FCS South Dakota State without scoring a touchdown. Iowa played that juggernaut Nevada. Iowa played Rutgers. The Iowa defense has consistently given Iowa the ball deep in opponents' territory only to have the offense move backward in most cases.

Try to spin it all you want. Try to polish it any way you can. Here are some facts: Iowa's third-year starting QB is the worst in the country. Iowa's young O-line is the most poorly coached in the country. Iowa's OC is the worst in the country, and so is the offense he is responsible for. Iowa's wide receivers are only a rumor. Iowa's offense doesn't have a single player any defense fears.

KF has said more than once that he would never be one of those coaches who grows old and out of touch by staying too long. Ooops.

MeetTheFerentzes

HR MVP
Silver Member
Sep 6, 2022
KF has said more than once that he would never be one of those coaches who grows old and out of touch by staying too long. Ooops.
I clearly remember that from his early press conferences back in '98-'99. Said no way he'd coach as long as Hayden, yet here we are, and the program is what it is.

Reactions: kcgolfer

frydaze

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2001

I think 4-1 is likely...and if you asked me...I'd take 7-5 right now every day of the week.
In essence, your opening here is basically saying our offense should be cut a break-- they are much better than it looks. LOL

Let's see if that 4-1 prediction happens. Who are we beating on the road?

Some of you fanatics think with your hearts instead of your heads.

9and4

Team MVP
Dec 4, 2013
You'll score 30 on us in Mickey's last game as head coach. Write it down. Historically bad vs. historically bad. Something has to give. It's usually us.

radicalhawk

HR All-State
Jun 18, 2005
We can play the perspective, speculative, and excuse game all we want. The bottom line is that Ferentz doesn't come fricking close to deserving $7 Million a year considering the inferior product he puts out. Plus, the damage he is doing to the Iowa brand. In 2027, Bret Bielema will still be almost making $2.5 Million a year less than what Ferentz is making now. Right out the gate, Bielema is earning every nickel. We have an overpaid coach that is old, tired, entitled, and corrupt.

hawkifann

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2001
Iowa likely goes 1-4 to finish out the schedule, with an outside chance at 2-5.
Not sure how you can watch any of the B1G West teams and have any confidence that any of them will win on any given week. Iowa could win out or they could lose out and I don’t think I’m any more or less confident in either outcome.

Mccusk34

Scout Team
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2019
Wins since 1999.
Minn. 152
Nebraska 180
Illinois 112
NU 147
Wisc 215
Mizzou 164
Iowa St 129