ADVERTISEMENT

Some perspective is Important

You'll score 30 on us in Mickey's last game as head coach. Write it down. Historically bad vs. historically bad. Something has to give. It's usually us.
The reverse trash talk has already started! I think Nebraska will be able to put together a solid game plan to limit Iowa’s offense.

Which is; show up.

Reactions: 9and4 and amahawk
I was gonna make this it's own thread, but I suppose this is as good a place as any. As the OP mentioned, here are the current rankings for every team on our schedule in terms of just total defense:

South Dakota State 3rd (FCS)
Iowa State 10th
Nevada 76th
Rutgers 7th
Michigan 5th
Illinois 1st
Ohio State 2nd
Northwestern 97th
Purdue 44th
Wisconsin 33rd
Minnesota 12th
Nebraska 124th

So we've faced 5 teams in the top 10, and 6 if you count SDSU. And 9 teams in the top 50 (including SDSU) in total defense.

Yes, our offense would suck regardless of who we play..............but this schedule certainly hasn't helped.
But they played the Iowa offense. Doesn't that distort the stats?

Iowa's schedule currently is ranked the #5 most difficult in the nation, according to Sagarin Ratings.

Iowa will start moving the ball over these next 5 games. Will it be enough to win some games? Who knows.

I was gonna make this it's own thread, but I suppose this is as good a place as any. As the OP mentioned, here are the current rankings for every team on our schedule in terms of just total defense:

South Dakota State 3rd (FCS)
Iowa State 10th
Nevada 76th
Rutgers 7th
Michigan 5th
Illinois 1st
Ohio State 2nd
Northwestern 97th
Purdue 44th
Wisconsin 33rd
Minnesota 12th
Nebraska 124th

So we've faced 5 teams in the top 10, and 6 if you count SDSU. And 9 teams in the top 50 (including SDSU) in total defense.

Yes, our offense would suck regardless of who we play..............but this schedule certainly hasn't helped.
Keep in mind that playing Iowa has immensely helped the defensive ranking of the teams we have played

Glad Johnson burned his fumble toward the end against Ohio State. They got that ball out way too easy. Needs to learn from that quickly.

We will really get some perspective if the Hawks drop the game this weekend vs. Northwestern. This is the angriest the fan base has ever been. The boo-birds will be out in full force Saturday for any and all incompetence on the offensive side of the ball. Will be a beautiful Homecoming game. If Iowa loses, as 10 point favorites against a 1-win team with a 6-game losing streak that hasn't won on American soil, I swear the program is going to burn.
if we lose saturday, we might not end up as the greatest 3 win team ever...

but we would certainly have the greatest 3 win defense ever!

We went 4-1 last year in the last five and our offensive line was younger and our defense wasn't as good as it is this year. Let it play out.

The O line was not younger than this year. They had a generational talent at center, Ince was in and out of the line-up, as was Schott and Britt. I asked you guys all offseason why you thought this year's line would be better. There wasn't a proven star among the unit. The defense is NOT better without Jacobs and Van Valkenburg. They are still very good but not invincible. Any team that scores 14 points has an 80% chance of winning against Iowa. 3-2 is the absolute ceiling. 2-3 is the more likely scenario and 1-4 is a very real possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT