ADVERTISEMENT

Some quick thoughts on the season...geneal

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
The make up of this team.....appears to be the version that works best for Fran's system. Yes, recruiting could tweak things for the better to have an athletic and lengthy post etc....but, long, athletic, skilled players who can really run, move quickly on defense, and beat the other team to rebounds appears to be the winning formula. No offense intended to stars of the past, I love my Hawkeyes, but I think this is what Fran is trying to recruit to. Sometimes in recruiting you just have to take the best player available?

Terms/comments like unselfishness, team players, etc sometimes get over used and are thrown around without enough thought....but they do seem to apply to this group.

Fran, JBO, Connor and more have endured ridiculous criticism during the year. Well documented on this board and shows that when things aren't going as well as we hoped there are some people/fans who choose to start trashing players and the coach. Some only see the surface, what's right in front of their eyes, and then their emotional rants are released....saying terrible things about our players and coach. They can't help themselves and then once that statement is made, they are defending it and find it very difficult to stop. In Connor's post game comments yesterday he talked about Fran and family being at young Jack's basketball games and some idiot fans yelling/chanting "Fire Fran" while they were in attendance. Can you imagine a freshman in HS trying to play a game and having fans yelling to fire your dad? Can you imagine being out as a family and having people yelling to have your husband/dad fired from his job? I am embarrassed for these people and I don't even know them. They have taken insensitivity and stupidity to a whole new level......it's just stunning. WTF

We as fans never know anywhere near the whole story. Who’s playing hurt etc. just read something in Josh O thread that shocked me . This team keeps lots of things in- house. I respect that . It must not be easy as a coach or player to keep quiet about things when you hear crap 💩 from fans who don’t know well crap 💩

We as fans never know anywhere near the whole story. Who’s playing hurt etc. just read something in Josh O thread that shocked me . This team keeps lots of things in- house. I respect that . It must not be easy as a coach or player to keep quiet about things when you hear crap 💩 from fans who don’t know well crap 💩
Excellent point....and something we fans should know....that we don't know a lot of what is going on behind the scenes.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
They have taken insensitivity and stupidity to a whole new level......it's just stunning. WTF
Insensitive and stupid describes their behavior pretty well. Posters who act impulsively and act out after a loss because they have the emotional maturity of a teenager and are apparently unable to use perspective when assessing any outcome or development which deviates from what they want. I agree, adults acting as juveniles is rather embarrassing. The anonymity of message boards only makes it worse.

The worst part is that some of these same people/posters seem to have no remorse or shame for their pitiful conduct. Called-out and shown to be a jackass or being refuted by reason and/or facts is no deterrent, they just keep on posting the same shit thereby proving that some people never grow up.

Insensitive and stupid describes their behavior pretty well. Posters who act impulsively and act out after a loss because they have the emotional maturity of a teenager and are apparently unable to use perspective when assessing any outcome or development which deviates from what they want. I agree, adults acting as juveniles is rather embarrassing. The anonymity of message boards only makes it worse.

The worst part is that some of these same people/posters seem to have no remorse or shame for their pitiful conduct. Called-out and shown to be a jackass or being refuted by reason and/or facts is no deterrent, they just keep on posting the same shit thereby proving that some people never grow up.
I am truly perplexed......can't they even imagine what it would be like if this was them, or their child, having to listen to and deal with public ridicule? I wonder how they would have dealt with public humiliation, or attacks, on their family when they were 14 or 15 years old? Just astounding....

Reactions: nu2u
I am truly perplexed......can't they even imagine what it would be like if this was them, or their child, having to listen to and deal with public ridicule? I wonder how they would have dealt with public humiliation, or attacks, on their family when they were 14 or 15 years old? Just astounding....
We quit teaching empathy in some of our lives. When someone hurts across a screen it's like it's not real. Alot of people haven't seen real life and live in a bubble of security. It's really a shame.

Reactions: perryhawk
Hopefully this season ends up being the catalyst for Iowa to recruit better and be able to better sustain a higher level of success. While I don't like how Fran has been treated by the fans, before Sunday this team hadn't had even a modicum of postseason success and he's been here 12 years. Its not all his fault by a long shot. We all know how much a smoldering wreck this program became during the Alford and Lickliter tenures.

I think he's finally gotten Iowa to a place where he's exceeding expectations and that should make it a more positive environment. At the end of the day, I gotta really credit Barta for staying the course, extending him, and in general backing Fran and other coaches when a lot of other programs would probably lose patience and end up setting back the program. He put his own ass on the line and I'm guessing the Iowa coaches feel some loyalty there.

The make up of this team.....appears to be the version that works best for Fran's system. Yes, recruiting could tweak things for the better to have an athletic and lengthy post etc....but, long, athletic, skilled players who can really run, move quickly on defense, and beat the other team to rebounds appears to be the winning formula. No offense intended to stars of the past, I love my Hawkeyes, but I think this is what Fran is trying to recruit to. Sometimes in recruiting you just have to take the best player available?

Terms/comments like unselfishness, team players, etc sometimes get over used and are thrown around without enough thought....but they do seem to apply to this group.

Fran, JBO, Connor and more have endured ridiculous criticism during the year. Well documented on this board and shows that when things aren't going as well as we hoped there are some people/fans who choose to start trashing players and the coach. Some only see the surface, what's right in front of their eyes, and then their emotional rants are released....saying terrible things about our players and coach. They can't help themselves and then once that statement is made, they are defending it and find it very difficult to stop. In Connor's post game comments yesterday he talked about Fran and family being at young Jack's basketball games and some idiot fans yelling/chanting "Fire Fran" while they were in attendance. Can you imagine a freshman in HS trying to play a game and having fans yelling to fire your dad? Can you imagine being out as a family and having people yelling to have your husband/dad fired from his job? I am embarrassed for these people and I don't even know them. They have taken insensitivity and stupidity to a whole new level......it's just stunning. WTF
This team more closely resembles those good Sienna teams Fran had when they won Three straight conf titles. I think this is the way he likes to play. I wish this board was monitored so that posts trashing our coaches and players were removed and the posters deleted. It is a cesspool around here too often. We have seen it this very season, one of our best ever.

ADVERTISEMENT