ADVERTISEMENT

Some things shouldn't change in 2021 ....

cidsports

HB King
On Iowa! Beat State, keep beating others, as well. But, beat State in Ames again!

Jamie Pollard and Monday’s news of Texas and Oklahoma formally telling the Big 12 that they intend to depart the Big 12 for the SEC at the end of the current grant of rights agreement sparked statements from multiple schools around the Big 12. At Iowa State, athletic director Jamie Pollard,

“I think it’s really important, though, that all Cyclone fans understand that it’s not a time to panic,” Pollard said. “Our industry is in a complete state of flux. And quite frankly, every institution should be evaluating where they are and how things are going to look as this landscape continues to change — from the Supreme Court ruling to the NIL to the NCAA and to the College Football Playoff. I also encourage our fans, although it’s fun and it’s interesting to get caught up in all the rumors, this is one more time where taking a step back and having patience and understanding that this is not going to be solved any time — the next four years will be a long, bumpy and challenging road for everybody in college athletics, not just Iowa State, not just the Big 12, but the entire industry. I think it’s really important to understand, ‘What does grant of rights mean?’ Grant of rights essentially means that each institution has turned over their media rights, meaning their opportunity to be on television, to their conference office.

“And the conferences, in turn, sold that to our media partners. In the Big 12, the grant of rights is through 2025. That means that not any of the 10 institutions can go become a member of another conference without, one, leaving their media rights behind and, No. 2, paying a penalty. That is why I’m so encouraged by the fact the Big 12 is led by commissioner Bob Bowlsby. As we learned, Oklahoma and Texas intend to honor their grant of rights through 2025. If that remains the case, we know for the next four years the Big 12 is going to stay viable, the Big 12 is going to continue to win national championships and be competitive in NCAA championships and all 10 members are going to continue to receive their full media shares. That allows us the opportunity to spend the next four years evaluating the landscape and understanding what is changing or what isn’t changing in college athletics. I know that that gives us the best possible opportunity to position Iowa State University for what comes next.”

Like the Iowa class of 2022, patience is the likely response to all this Flux in the Summer of 2021.

Let's hope Iowa can keep the Top 25 run going in 2021. That hasn't happened, since the 1980s, when Kirk Ferentz was working for Hayden Fry.

What a way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Iowa's first Big Ten football title in modern era.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News