ADVERTISEMENT

Someone Explain Why Ulis Gets More Minutes Than Bowen?

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Unlike Ferentz, Fran is not one to play guys based on the union card (other than his sons). So what exactly has Ulis done in 3 years at Iowa to deserve to be a starting point guard and play ahead of a talent like Bowen?

Aside from Bowen clearly winning the eye test, their stats make it clear that Ulis has no business getting the majority of the playing time:

Bowen: Mins 12 pg; PPG 6; FG% 56%; 3pt 33%; Assists 1.6; Steals .4
A Ulis: Mins 24 pg; PPG 6; FG% 41%; 3pt 29%; Assists 2.8; Steals .5

It's like when Fran was playing a young Connor over CJ Frederick or Isaiah Moss back in the day. Clearly Bowen earned more minutes. It's time to make the switch and let Ulis work on his layups.

Last edited:
Clearly Bowen had a better game than Ulis last night. Reason Ulis is starting is probably just the experience factor. Bowen gets confused at times, particularly on Defense. Being a freshman, he is not as quick to react to things as perhaps Ulis is. I suspect that Dasonte's minutes will gradually increase, however. He sure looked like a gamer last night.

Can someone explain why Connor is getting the 3rd most minutes on the team and guarding a guy like Filipowski? Never mind. We all know why. And there still will be idiots wondering why Carver isn't full
Connor did a solid job on Filipowski.

I have no idea why Carver isn't full other than many of our fans are weak-minded, front-running, whiners.

Can someone explain why Connor is getting the 3rd most minutes on the team and guarding a guy like Filipowski? Never mind. We all know why. And there still will be idiots wondering why Carver isn't full
Of all the things to complain about from last night, you pick connors d on Filipowski? Yikes! For being outsized by like 6-7 inches, he did an awesome job defending him.
Connor is actually playing really well this year, I almost wish he would be more aggressive on offense at times. He used to have a pretty good little fadeaway move within 7-8 ft of the rim that was effective. He should be able to get to that shot more, and he’s been drilling his 3’s this yr which obviously helps.

Athletically I like what Ulis brings. The challenge with his game continues to be his shot. He is quick enough to get where he wants to go but struggles to finish. Bowen is learning and will make mistakes but showcased his arsenal last night. He is a 3 level scorer and despite being a freshman, drives with more confidence than more veteran players.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Fran trusts Ulis more at this point. That's how Fran always has been. Sometimes it's frustrating when guys in the past like Moss, Toussaint, now Bowen were on the bench for extended periods. Patrick McCaffrey sometimes ends up on the bench for lengthy stretches because he does bonehead things on offense.

It seems like with its mostly trust on the offensive end. Last night Bowen struggled mightily when the clones put on a full court press. He got yanked. I think at some point he'll get more minutes/start but as a pg he will have to convince Fran he can run the show without messing up the offense.

As for Connor, now that he can knock down a 3 on a consistent basis he is super valuable to this team with his on court leadership, toughness, and ability to get the team organized.

Lots of Ulis slander going on here. Yes he turned the ball over to much last night. I’m sure both him and Fran would agree. Some of you guys are acting like he’s Troy Skinner or Lil Lick! He’s athletic, hit some 3’s last night when he needed to and he’s a good defender who is physical. Bowen is a nice player, but he’s not some 5 star guy that Frans sitting on the end of the bench. And while I never thought I’d say this, Connor is playing the best ball of his career, and it’s not even close.

And Ulis was our 2nd leading rebounder last night with 7. He’s way tougher than any of our forwards.
Love Ulis! He's a huge part of this team. He'll continue to learn re: turnovers against these handsy/physical teams (a good portion of the Big Ten), but he's earned his minutes.

Fran does need to give Bowen a bit more time, and his perceived disappointment/body language last night was the only downer from my perspective on an otherwise fantastic night, but he'll figure it out.

Connor did a solid job on Filipowski.

I have no idea why Carver isn't full other than many of our fans are weak-minded, front-running, whiners.
What the hell does"...weak-minded, front-running..." mean? Did you just pull words out of a hat?

ISU forces turnovers on 30% of their opponents’ possessions, and multiple of Ulis’ turnovers last night were not his fault. He was solid in every other facet of the game
That’s BS , I can’t think of one of his TOs that wasn’t his fault.
If Conner is the leader of assist to TO ratio , pretty sure Ulis is the leader in TO to assist ratio
There is a spot for him but 30+ minutes a game is not it

What the hell does"...weak-minded, front-running..." mean? Did you just pull words out of a hat?
No I did not.

Weak-minded = mentally weak/emotional (e.g. see many of the posts after the Duke game on Tuesday.)
front-runner = fans come out of the woodwork only when the team is winning/hot. (e.g. "I won't show up/support the program unless and until Iowa gets to the Sweet 16").

That’s BS , I can’t think of one of his TOs that wasn’t his fault.
If Conner is the leader of assist to TO ratio , pretty sure Ulis is the leader in TO to assist ratio
There is a spot for him but 30+ minutes a game is not it
Who on the team had the highest amount of turnovers/minutes played last night?

Unlike Ferentz, Fran is not one to play guys based on the union card (other than his sons). So what exactly has Ulis done in 3 years at Iowa to deserve to be a starting point guard and play ahead of a talent like Bowen?

Aside from Bowen clearly winning the eye test, their stats make it clear that Ulis has no business getting the majority of the playing time:

Bowen: Mins 13 pg; PPG 6; FG% 56%; 3pt 33%; Assists 1.6; Steals .4
A Ulis: Mins 22 pg; PPG 6; FG% 41%; 3pt 29%; Assists 2.8; Steals .5

It's like when Fran was playing a young Connor over CJ Frederick or Isaiah Moss back in the day. Clearly Bowen earned more minutes. It's time to make the switch and let Ulis work on his layups.
You'll see more of Bowen mid to late part of the season would be my guess. Kind of like Perkins last year.

Ulis is 5th on the team in minutes per game at 23. Murray 1st a 31 per game and Rebraca at 29. Last night was a bit of an anomaly I think with 36 for Ulis. You guys don’t like it, I get it. I’m done arguing about it. We’ve got 2 very solid pt guards moving forward plus a guy in Connor that can do it in a pinch. Is what it is.

After last years ass kicking, the plan for last night started with a "protect the ball" line up,... Worked perfectly.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Ulis is good with the ball,.. 20 point lead and 36 minutes on the floor will tend to make anybody play a little loose, cut him some slack...
I agree. I do think Fran will look back at this game and realize he should have given Dasante more of Ulis' minutes, not just because Bowen has earned them, but he burned Ulis out a bit imo.

Fanatics on this board seem to expect perfection all the way around from coaches and the players; they make mistakes. Some here REALLY need to take a deep breath before hitting "post reply".

C'mon Fran. Even after IowaLaw's OP and Bowen's career best 5-7 shooting performance against Duke, you keep your head in the sand against ISU and bury Bowen on the bench without remembering he's even on the team:

Ulis - 36 mins
Bowen - 3 mins

That makes absolutely no sense. Way to reward your promising true freshmen. Brings back memories of how you rewarded Frederick, Moss, and Toussaint in the past. Remember what happened with each? They left the program and questioned your favoritism.

How did Ulis reward you for his undeserved 36 minutes in a blowout win? With 6 bad turnovers (is that a record for an Iowa point guard).

You even played Josh Dix 4x more mins than Bowen. Your playing time decisions often defy logic but this one was worse than usual. Surely you can strike a balance given the need for solid point guard play going into the Big 10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT