ADVERTISEMENT

Someone suggested another 2002, I will hope for the following ....

cidsports

HB King

My first Iowa game I ever saw was over 50 years ago in West Lafayette. Back then, I knew more about Nebraska, then Iowa. Back then, Purdue was in the middle of dominance over Iowa (1961 to 1980), as any program.

I wouldn't become a Hawkeye fan, until 1974, with coach Bob Commings, who @frydaze started a great thread last month on. Kudos.

I hope @torbee Is right that Iowa can play from the front runner role for the West division in 2022. It has been rare, since 2014 for a program to repeat. UW did it once, and our Game 11 and Game 12 at Kinnick will hopefully be special in Kirk Ferentz's 24th season at the helm.

After the 1984 season, Iowa witnessed their first Hawkeye to turn pro. For a player to forgo his final season to enter the NFL Draft. One prominent player at TE-U did that, though Iowa wasn't known for TEs quite the same back then, as they are now.

One prominent player decided to stay. And the 1985 season, with it's three early cupcakes at Kinnick Stadium became one of the greatest season's in Hawkeye lore.

Of course, our Husker neighbors will remind us, while our Minnesota neighbors will each remind us, the Hawkeyes either suck, while other will express hate.

The past season, Iowa won their seventh straight game over each program. The Hawkeyes haven't lost to Minnesota or Nebraska, since Year 1 of the wild, wild West.

Wisconsin won the West that season, but the Badgers haven't won, since 2019 now.

This past season, Iowa was 2-0 in two Top 20 showdowns. With wins at Iowa State and the epic Top 5 win over Penn State.

The 10-4 season was a first for a Hawkeye program. Fans are certainly restless, since they got a taste of something special.

But, the young Hawkeyes couldn't close it out. Our three game bowl streak came to an end. Our 16 game win streak over nonconference opponents also ended.

Our drought getting to Indianapolis also ended. But, like 1984, injuries became a thing in 2021. The infamous bone bruise ended one exciting player for the season.

We can hope 🤔

Entering 2022, Iowa has to ckearly reload all three phases of the game, in some sort of fashion.

Of course, the Iowa offense was horrible in the red zone and didn't look presentable throughout much of the 2021 season.

At all levels of football that happens at times. However for Iowa, 2021 was ugly. Better than 2012, but extremely frustrating for the fan base.

Over the next two weeks, and possibly a little longer, we will see the 2022 Iowa Football roster be finalized.

I would suggest Iowa struggles at Kinnick regularly with Northwestern and Purdue.

Iowa last beat both Michigan and Wisconsin in Kinnick, respectively. We don't play the Wolverines ever other year, and the last win was 2016, when departing PK Caleb Shudak was a first year walk-on.

The last time Iowa lost to Iowa State, at Minnesota and Nebraska was 2014 at those venues Iowa will play in 2022.

So, there is a lot to play for in Kirk Ferentz's 24th edition. However, plenty of programs will likely be circling the Hawkeyes.

Hope everyone is enjoying the New Year. The 20-17 defeat against Kentucky was heartbreaking, however, there were good elements that are back for 2022.

At 10-4, congratulations to the 2021 team. They were young. They were resilient. But, the line of scrimmage wasn't a strength throughout the season, due to youth and impacted by injuries. Also, all four teams Iowa lost to won 9 or more games.

That's football. We witnessed some good moments. And, some low moments. I am excited for 2022. What do you have to say?

Reactions: frydaze
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News