ADVERTISEMENT

Someone tell me you like the NIL/Portal?

hawkisoaker

HR MVP
Aug 5, 2011
This is the quick beginning to the end of collegiate sports.

There needs to be an opt out movement. Colleges outside the top 10 should opt out and only play similar. No NIL no transferring unless apporved by AD. Give Schollys to less talented kids who actually want to play the game for the game initiallyuntil the dust settles.

Let the studs have fun playing about 10 schools total and/or let HS kids go pro with 0 option to return to college sports once announced, see how that works out.

Otherwise we won't have to worry about the CFP...CFB won't exist.

I would love to hear anyone in support of this crap, I've yet to meet someone who likes it outside of the few kids reaping the $$.

Well they get one transfer and play right away, so it at least hinders the double transfers by making them sit a year, unless there is a coaching change.

Funny it wasn't that long ago this world totally screwed over Drew Ott by denying him extra time. Now all of this.

Do you like a free market or getting paid more money to leave your job for a better one? The coaches and ADs make millions of dollars a year along with the schools. The courts determined the schools were taking advantage of them. The players have a marketable skill that is in high demand which they can get paid for. Start ponying up money or get left in the dust, it's really as simple as that. It doesn't matter if we like it or not.

Do you like a free market or getting paid more money to leave your job for a better one? The coaches and ADs make millions of dollars a year along with the schools. The courts determined the schools were taking advantage of them. The players have a marketable skill that is in high demand which they can get paid for. Start ponying up money or get left in the dust, it's really as simple as that. It doesn't matter if we like it or not.
Not even close to apple to apple. Next.

It will make for a spectacular bon fire!!! Pull up your camping chair and have a front row seat! The rocket is in countdown mode.

There needs to be an opt out movement. Colleges outside the top 10 should opt out and only play similar. No NIL no transferring unless apporved by AD. Give Schollys to less talented kids who actually want to play the game for the game initiallyuntil the dust settles.

Let the studs have fun playing about 10 schools total and/or let HS kids go pro with 0 option to return to college sports once announced, see how that works out.

I would love to hear anyone in support of this crap, I've yet to meet someone who likes it outside of the few kids reaping the $$.
Then they shall be paid what they're worth, and no longer by any scholarships.

I agree with much of what you say plus I thought being a college student and maybe even more being a college student athlete was to learn how to make decisions and stay committed even if things get a little tough.

The NIL is the worst part because it is what is making it seem like a hired gun situation and pay to cheat in the open.

I would like to see all the huge revenue from sports plus maybe some booster money go to all the players and in many more sports.

Let players transfer only after they have played a year and exhausted their redshirt if they are not going to have to sit out a year.

College sports athletes are not employees and even in a totally free market. If they were in a free market they could go to the portal year after year but that is not available iirc.

Letting a small percentage of football players make a bunch of NIL money does not eliminate the problem of taking advantage of the vast majority of them as you say. To me, scholarships are worth at least $100,000 over 4 to 5 years and I am still one who would like to see all college athletes in D1 get $1000 or per month for those 4 years for extra food, transportation , expenses for the time they travel and practice.

Ok then they can use that money to pay for the stadium, field, uniforms etc also...see how that works Mr. Small mind.??

A program like Iowa should benefit from NIL more than it hurts them. Iowa Football is a valuable name and is better positioned than most of the other B1G teams outside of Ohio St, Michigan, MSU, and Penn St. They are on a similar level as Wisconsin, Nebraska and Maryland. Program perception is what will kill a team like Iowa. Iowa is terrible at offense. Iowa isn't a team that will lose a ton to the portal but should be able to draw in solid to great players. Again program perception is a big negative for Iowa right now. Iowa needs to fix this or it will sink them in the new college football world. Kirk is very behind the times. Teams like Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue can make up ground on Iowa because of the portal. Minnesota addressed their OL concerns going into this season through the portal. Iowa did not.

You're getting all walk-ons, Coach.
No...u leave the NIL. Start a league against n wout it and no transfers unless AD approved.

Get kids who want to play the sport not the NIL portal.

More schools then not will go back, guaranteed. Leave the top 10 or 20 who stay have fun playing in a 20 team sport.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
A program like Iowa should benefit from NIL more than it hurts them. Iowa Football is a valuable name and is better positioned than most of the other B1G teams outside of Ohio St, Michigan, MSU, and Penn St. They are on a similar level as Wisconsin, Nebraska and Maryland. Program perception is what will kill a team like Iowa. Iowa is terrible at offense. Iowa isn't a team that will lose a ton to the portal but should be able to draw in solid to great players. Again program perception is a big negative for Iowa right now. Iowa needs to fix this or it will sink them in the new college football world. Kirk is very behind the times. Teams like Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue can make up ground on Iowa because of the portal. Minnesota addressed their OL concerns going into this season through the portal. Iowa did not.
Why is it whenever we lose a player our fan base cries and whines like babies about NIL? Charlie Jones did not leave for NIL. He left for more playing time and a chance to actually play in an offense that would get him the ball. This Keegan situation was weird for the entire season. Was he hurt or was he not hurt? How many good defensive players are we losing? Guessing none that matter. We're losing skill players because our offensive system sucks. Our coordinator is not likable and our system is not skill system friendly. Now will Keegan get some NIL money from someone? Probably. Do I think he's leaving for NIL money? I do not.

Reactions: pink shizzle
I%20THINK%20IT%20SUCKS.jpg

I like the portal. There are FBS players sitting on the bench at top schools that don’t get to play and would be playing for another program. Why shouldn’t they be allowed to transfer out of that situation? It has nothing to do with commitment. We as a society don’t really care about commitment anyway.

The portal actually helps level the playing field. People only bitch when it’s a player leaving their school and it’s all crickets when we get a good player in the portal.

I don’t care for NIL, but I understand it. I don’t agree that it should have been allowed to be directly used in the recruitment of a player. But for someone like Jack Campbell, why shouldn’t he be able to profit from his NIL? I would like the OP to give me one good reason why Jack shouldn’t be able to profit from his NIL.

The truth is that it’s here and it’s not going anywhere any time soon. It’s been decided by the courts that the NCAA can’t stop college athletes from making money based on the athlete’s NIL. But the NCAA should fight to place some restrictions around NIL to help level the playing field and to set an ethical standard around it. But the NCAA is lazy.

Like I said, it’s here. You either need to adapt with the direction college football has moved and try to behave ethically as defined by the AD and HC, or be ok with handcuffing your own program.

Why is it whenever we lose a player our fan base cries and whines like babies about NIL? Charlie Jones did not leave for NIL. He left for more playing time and a chance to actually play in an offense that would get him the ball. This Keegan situation was weird for the entire season. Was he hurt or was he not hurt? How many good defensive players are we losing? Guessing none that matter. We're losing skill players because our offensive system sucks. Our coordinator is not likable and our system is not skill system friendly. Now will Keegan get some NIL money from someone? Probably. Do I think he's leaving for NIL money? I do not.
If he wasn’t hurt why in street clothes on sideline most of the games?

Reactions: dbrocket
Agree. NIL or portal isn’t holding Iowa back or keeping them from their traditional, average 7-8 wins. The offensive production/philosophy is though. Something that the portal ‘could’ help fix in shorter order than years past, but remains to be seen here

Reactions: dbrocket
No, definitely do not like the wild west NIL. If they (not sure who at this point) do not put NIL controls in place soon collegiate football will be destroyed. JMO

Then they shall be paid what they're worth, and no longer by any scholarships.
Yep....even it out a bit by not having paid sports scholarships. Or make them pay their way thru school. Have it on a scale perhaps...you make this much NIL here's what it will cost you to come to school here. If you want to be paid then prepare to pay yourself to play. We all have to pay for goods and services. Why not college athletes if they are being paid to play?

Reactions: kwik44
I absolutely am supportive of the athletes being paid.

Why should others be able to make millions upon millions for their work? Scholarships are valuable, but are not in line with the value top student athletes bring.

Now I think the current structure has loads of issues, but we are in a transition.

It will be the end of college athletics as we once knew it, but it won't be the end completely. There's way too much history, Fandom, and infrastructure already in place.

Yep....even it out a bit by not having paid sports scholarships. Or make them pay their way thru school. Have it on a scale perhaps...you make this much NIL here's what it will cost you to come to school here. If you want to be paid then prepare to pay yourself to play. We all have to pay for goods and services. Why not college athletes if they are being paid to play?
Makes too much sense. The woke police will be all over this method, though.

I don't really have a problem with the portal. Kids were transferring anyway - might as well get it organized.

I do however have serious issues with NIL.

First and foremost in my list of problems - NIL stands for Name, Image, Likeness. It doesn't say anything about paying to play football and basketball, which is all it is.

Would anyone pay Proctor $2,000,000 so he can appear in a car commercial? Or to sell his jersey number? Of course not - he will be paid to play and I doubt he will have to do anything else to earn it.

I also hate what it does to the competitive balance in "college sports".

What we have now is a cluster. It's not professional sports (yet), but it certainly isn't college sports. Why even bother to make these kids go to class at all? Just give everyone room & board, NIL and forget the tuition part, unless a player wants to get a degree.

NOW, the NCAA rules are a complete joke. A player gets paid but you can't give him a ride home? What happens when his Jag is in the shop? Walk? Take the bus? Oh, I forgot - the dealership will loan him a Benz.

And the finally irony is that a school like Iowa can finally afford to pay players, but they can't. The will have to spend it on $280,000 recruiting visits like Texas.

:rolleyes: 😡

I absolutely am supportive of the athletes being paid.

Why should others be able to make millions upon millions for their work? Scholarships are valuable, but are not in line with the value top student athletes bring.

Now I think the current structure has loads of issues, but we are in a transition.

It will be the end of college athletics as we once knew it, but it won't be the end completely. There's way too much history, Fandom, and infrastructure already in place.
The list of people at a school making millions and millions is really a fairly short list. Head coaches, key coordinators, the AD's. So, at Iowa that's like 10 people. The rest of it pretty much goes back into athletics - facilities, travel, tuition, uniforms, etc, etc, etc.

If I ruled the world, I would have gone the other way. I would have capped all those salaries and make them go pro to make their millions.

Then I would pay every player in every sport a generous stipend. Maybe $2,500/mo.

Then I would 'tax" the zillions that sports makes. No, not a tax to the government - a payment to the general fund by the athletics department. A progressive tax so the payments increase as TV revenue and ticket sales increase. Let the actually colleges and universities make some real money on THEIR Name, Image & Likeness!

Sadly, we ill have to endure this new unbalanced system until the University Presidents stand up and fix it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT