ADVERTISEMENT

Someone tell me you like the NIL/Portal?

I'm showing my age here, but I used to love MLB in the early 70s, specifically the Pittsburgh Pirates. Then free agency came along. The Pirates (and other MLB teams) have never been able to figure out free agency. I have to admit that I am concerned that "developmental" programs like Iowa will become the Pirates of college FB.

Yes. One of my bucket list activities is to find Curt Flood's grave and piss on it.

If these institutions are going to be seen as run like a business then fine....no fed $$, the players can pay their own ins, food, clothes, and help with cost of stadiums, etc.

They are cherry picking the system, it's complete BS.

And if it's a biz then that biz should be able to set the salary, no?...as in a Scholly. If the employee doesn't like it, leave for another, bc your option is the NFL if u have the talent,otherwise shut up play and go to free school.

If these kids think it's their right to go make the $$$, then they can build their own platforms needed to even be relevant.

Go pay for all your shit like a true biz would, build your own stadiums, clothes, insurance etc...oh wait, that's called the NFL.

The whole thing is beyond stupid and will wreck collegiate/amature sports...which maybe is the hidden agenda anyways.
They're cherry picking the system because the system has been cherry picking them for decades. As least that's the way the U.S. Supreme Court views it.

Well they get one transfer and play right away, so it at least hinders the double transfers by making them sit a year, unless there is a coaching change.

Funny it wasn't that long ago this world totally screwed over Drew Ott by denying him extra time. Now all of this.
That was injury-related though, and there wasn't the free covid year that apparently EVERYONE is eligible for now...........

I agree that Ott should've gotten the extra year though.

Reactions: bumpstock
I'm showing my age here, but I used to love MLB in the early 70s, specifically the Pittsburgh Pirates. Then free agency came along. The Pirates (and other MLB teams) have never been able to figure out free agency. I have to admit that I am concerned that "developmental" programs like Iowa will become the Pirates of college FB.
What’s changed for us? The Big Ten since the 70’s (50 years now) has been Michigan and Ohio State. 2022 and nothing has changed. Sounds like we’re still probably getting Proctor. The offensive players we’re losing are leaving because of a historic bad offense. They’re tired of being in a shitshow. They’re not being lured away by NIL money. Now they might get some, they’re not stars. Not sure why we think the sky is falling.

Do you like a free market or getting paid more money to leave your job for a better one? The coaches and ADs make millions of dollars a year along with the schools. The courts determined the schools were taking advantage of them. The players have a marketable skill that is in high demand which they can get paid for. Start ponying up money or get left in the dust, it's really as simple as that. It doesn't matter if we like it or not.
It's funny that people like you think the only way to go is further down the hole if you wanna get back to the top...................

What’s changed for us? The Big Ten since the 70’s (50 years now) has been Michigan and Ohio State. 2022 and nothing has changed.
I've been thinking about that, actually. I might do a separate post, but the point is, what changed from 1980-2001 and then from 2002 to 2022?

Ohio State has ruined things for a lot of people, and for future generations. I'll leave it at that.

It's the same as those who think it's fine when players decide not to play in their team's bowl game.

My comeback is: do you LIKE bowl games? Do you WANT them to continue? Because if you do, then you'd better support your marquee players being in them, or they will soon be so devalued that they'll go away (which will happen when the playoff expands)

NIL and open transferring is the same. It is destabilizing the sport. The only weapon ADs have is eligibility, so what the NCAA needs to do is go back to the sit-a-year-out if you transfer rule. Go back to 4-year maximum eligibility. Tighten academic standards. The "student" part of "student-athlete" has become a farce (imagine Alex Padilla being at a disadvantage because he actually WANTS to take a real schedule and get a real education!)

Let's not bury our heads in the sand. This sport we all love is at risk of becoming something none of us recognize any longer--and maybe, none of us want any longer as well
Totally agree. The sport is being ruined. Everyone forgets these kids ae getting a free education also. The MAC teams will be lucky to retain a kid for a year before he is gone and the quality will be like club football. They will ask themselves why even have a team. You can buy yourself a new team each year.

Totally agree. The sport is being ruined. Everyone forgets these kids ae getting a free education also. The MAC teams will be lucky to retain a kid for a year before he is gone and the quality will be like club football. They will ask themselves why even have a team. You can buy yourself a new team each year.
But aren't we looking to replace our players who are leaving in the portal as well and stealing them from those schools? Or is that different?

The objection is not that the players are getting some money, the objection is that there is no salary cap that will maintain competitive balance. Like having the same 6 teams compete in the CFP all the time? Because there is more of that on the way.

Far from a boomer but the thought that keyboard warriors ARE ACTUALLY giving money to buy college players for their favorite school is one of the dumbest ****ing things I’ve ever heard of. College sports are a ****ing joke because of this. Rip the band aid off and stop pretending these kids are student athletes. I’ll still watch and root for Iowa but college sports are a joke now. Also thank you sport dorks for buying Cade (lol what an asinine thing).
Well stated!

But aren't we looking to replace our players who are leaving in the portal as well and stealing them from those schools? Or is that different?
U have to play the hand that is delt for now....doesn't mean it's right or wanted or going to be sustainable.

The objection is not that the players are getting some money, the objection is that there is no salary cap that will maintain competitive balance. Like having the same 6 teams compete in the CFP all the time? Because there is more of that on the way.
The Haves were already getting the cream. Not sure this changes.

Reactions: littlez
I'll tell you how much I like it after the portal transfer season ends. How's that? 😊

Last edited:
Yeah pro sports is just great these days...buy a jersey, outdated the next yr...dmb also IMO.
old.jpg

Most professional employees sign non-competitive contracts prohibiting them from free-lancing or promoting themselves for personal gain while employed. The poor 100k per year college athletes were not unique in having restrictions placed on their earning abilities.
A non-compete is quite different from earning based on NIL. A lawyer working at a corporate firm is unlikely to be able to make money performing freelance legal services or promoting a competing firm. But if they had a marketable NIL and wanted to promote another business it’s very likely that they would be able to do so, and be compensated for doing so, as long as that promotion does not constitute a conflict of interest either in terms of negatively impacting their ability to practice law at their primary employer (e.g. those promotional services occupying too much time) or in terms of promoting an adjacent industry (e.g. I assume attorneys are unable to promote bail bondsmen, insurance, etc… depending on their area of practice). Side gigs that do not present a conflict of interest are also generally allowed. My employer actually owns a financial products distribution company where many of the individuals distributing said products are doing so as a side gig while they are professionals in another industry (these are generally non-securities licensed folks distributing fairly simple “savings products” as opposed to “investment products”).

So, while I agree they aren’t unique in having restrictions, I can’t think of any other group with restrictions on monetizing their NIL that even approaches those previously placed on college athletes. 99% of the population doesn’t make any NIL money not due to restrictions, but because they do not have a name, image, or likeness that is marketable. I don’t begrudge those with a marketable NIL from monetizing it be they a successful business person, a 100k/year college athlete, a desperately poor college athlete, or any other situation.

That being said, I do think NIL needs to, and will, evolve.

because the moneylines won't spread far enough to handle all these teams...it will be narrowed down to 15-20 who can compete. Fans bases will leave and the $$ will dry up. Unless major regulations r implemented very soon. CFB will become the D league.
I don’t agree. No one is going to want to throw away money in an NIL deal with the backup qb. With NIL, the backup qb at Alabama, who could start anywhere else in the country, will no longer be the backup qb at Alabama. I’m making up this scenario, I have no clue about the Alabama backup qb situation, but hopefully this hypothetical scenario makes sense.

Without NIL it was only playing time, fan-hood, proximity, campus life, school quality and maybe a few other factors that kept anyone from not accepting that Alabama scholarship offer. Money speaks louder than all of those combined.

NIL needs to evolve, but on balance will be good for competition across a large swath of D1 revenue sports.

If these institutions are going to be seen as run like a business then fine....no fed $$, the players can pay their own ins, food, clothes, and help with cost of stadiums, etc.

And if it's a biz then that biz should be able to set the salary, no?...as in a Scholly. If the employee doesn't like it, leave for another, bc your option is the NFL if u have the talent,otherwise shut up play and go to free school.

If these kids think it's their right to go make the $$$, then they can build their own platforms needed to even be relevant.

Go pay for all your shit like a true biz would, build your own stadiums, clothes, insurance etc...oh wait, that's called the NFL.

The whole thing is beyond stupid and will wreck collegiate/amature sports...which maybe is the hidden agenda anyways.
The institutions aren’t the ones paying NIL though. They’ll likely get hurt by NIL ultimately. I doubt NIL means more total advertising/promotional dollars, it just means dollars go directly to athletes instead of to the universities. E.g. instead of Coke buying a billboard in the stadium they might put the qb in a Coke commercial. That’s the real reason universities/athletic programs are generally against NIL.

You also have to be 3 years removed from high school to go to the NFL. I don’t begrudge this restriction since it is simply a business/industry determining the rules of engagement for its constituent companies/teams for the benefit of all.

Yeah pro sports is just great these days...buy a jersey, outdated the next yr...dmb also IMO.
Right. The wealthy old dudes who own the teams* should be able to treat players like chattel and should get to pay them almost nothing for their labor and the damage to their bodies.

Just admit you have an exploitation fetish and go.

*In the case of college football, this would be the millionaire coaches and administrators, the people who make profits off the facilities contracts, the media companies, etc. Everyone BUT the people who play the games was making millions of these players.

Right. The wealthy old dudes who own the teams should be able to treat players like chattel and should get to pay them almost nothing for their labor and the damage to their bodies.

Just admit you have an exploitation fetish and go.
That's what the NFL is for. Then take away all fed $$ if u thinks it's a biz. And the players can build their own stadiums with their NIL $$

You also have to be 3 years removed from high school to go to the NFL. I don’t begrudge this restriction since it is simply a business/industry determining the rules of engagement for its constituent companies/teams for the benefit of all.
Letem go from HS..I don't care. That doesn't fk it all up for the kids who r there to play the game as intended.

What’s changed for us? The Big Ten since the 70’s (50 years now) has been Michigan and Ohio State. 2022 and nothing has changed. Sounds like we’re still probably getting Proctor. The offensive players we’re losing are leaving because of a historic bad offense. They’re tired of being in a shitshow. They’re not being lured away by NIL money. Now they might get some, they’re not stars. Not sure why we think the sky is falling.
I'm not speaking against it from an Iowa perspective...we may benefit from time to time...but it's ruining the game overall.

That's what the NFL is for. Then take away all fed $$ if u thinks it's a biz. And the players can build their own stadiums with their NIL $$
So, players should have to work for free for 3-5 years (while rich old dudes make millions off them) for the *chance* of being compensated? No.

Also, you just said the NFL sucks because the players get paid, too. So it sounds like you would prefer exploitation from start to finish.

Letem go from HS..I don't care. That doesn't fk it all up for the kids who r there to play the game as intended.
That’s not for the NCAA to decide. The NFL decides the NFL’s rules of engagement.

Why is the way it used to be the way that’s “as intended”? Especially in light of the fact that courts have decided that the way it used to be was discriminatory?

So, players should have to work for free for 3-5 years (while rich old dudes make millions off them) for the *chance* of being compensated? No.

Also, you just said the NFL sucks because the players get paid, too. So it sounds like you would prefer exploitation from start to finish.

Work for free!!lol. As if they're being forced to play? Jfc.

Not to mention meals, clothes an education, etcetc....oh and the platform to perform on to possibly make $$ in the NF

Maybe the schools should go after part of their NFL salaries since they gave then the resources, stage, and development to get there. How about that??

I just found my Hawkeye Report doppelgänger.

In order to be half way respectable you have to go out and steal players from the lower level schools. You will need a scorecard like MLB every year. No depth on any team except the elites like Ohio State/Michigan. No team concept.

CFP is expanding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT