ADVERTISEMENT

Someone tell me you like the NIL/Portal?

Do you like a free market or getting paid more money to leave your job for a better one? The coaches and ADs make millions of dollars a year along with the schools. The courts determined the schools were taking advantage of them. The players have a marketable skill that is in high demand which they can get paid for. Start ponying up money or get left in the dust, it's really as simple as that. It doesn't matter if we like it or not.
Except, that rationale played right into the hands of sleazy coaches who leave AND take their current players to new school (**cough**Lincoln Riley**cough**).

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Sounds like a rhetorical question based on OP's replies. I don't mind it if it actually is name, image, likeness instead of signing bonuses like it appears to be. I'm not cheering for any of the high dollar players to fail but deep down I wouldn't mind seeing some of these morons shilling out hundreds of thousands to millions get zero return on their money.

Reactions: hawkisoaker
This is the quick beginning to the end of collegiate sports.

There needs to be an opt out movement. Colleges outside the top 10 should opt out and only play similar. No NIL no transferring unless apporved by AD. Give Schollys to less talented kids who actually want to play the game for the game initiallyuntil the dust settles.

Let the studs have fun playing about 10 schools total and/or let HS kids go pro with 0 option to return to college sports once announced, see how that works out.

Otherwise we won't have to worry about the CFP...CFB won't exist.

I would love to hear anyone in support of this crap, I've yet to meet someone who likes it outside of the few kids reaping the $$.
I like the NIL/portal

Sounds like a rhetorical question based on OP's replies. I don't mind it if it actually is name, image, likeness instead of signing bonuses like it appears to be. I'm not cheering for any of the high dollar players to fail but deep down I wouldn't mind seeing some of these morons shilling out hundreds of thousands to millions get zero return on their money.
Its already happening just one year in. Texas A&M put out a kings ransom to last years class, and many are entering the portal. As I said yesterday, at some point some of these school will look back at their ROI, and wonder, why in the hell did we give all that money to a high school kid who has done nothing yet in college....

No, that's the reason The Portal, and NIL are good for Semi-Pro football.

Coe, Simpson, and Grinnell play college football.
I remember a semi pro team for Cedar Rapids yrs ago. Didn't like it then. Lasted maybe 2 yrs.
BB also acouple yrs back.
Don't think that made it either

Its already happening just one year in. Texas A&M put out a kings ransom to last years class, and many are entering the portal. As I said yesterday, at some point some of these school will look back at their ROI, and wonder, why in the hell did we give all that money to a high school kid who has done nothing yet in college....
Same as the Stock Market. What's "the real price" of a stock? Whatever somebody is willing to pay.

• Haha
Reactions: Kurt Warner
I was a fan of nil but it certainly has taken a turn towards schools that can afford to pay more getting a huge advantage. But i am looking forward to all the transfers we are getting in this year after a failure to participate last year

NIL is kind of like the runaway locomotive. If you stand on the tracks thinking what to do, you get ran over. Your best bet is to embrace it and jump on.

I am sure there will be more changes coming because I don't think schools or athletic departments are very happy with the current situation. I think you might see some regulation or limiting on individual NIL money.

Businesses are paying 90% of the big money, and I'm sure they "have ways" to deduct business losses.

In fact, there's an IRS form for that problem.

Again, as @bumpstock just stated, the team that paid the most money in NIL last year won 4 games. So before we all go losing our collective minds about the sky falling why don’t we relax a little bit. How many of our guys are leaving because of NIl? We’ve lost 2 receivers over the last year. If we’re being honest with ourselves they’re leaving because we have the worst offense in Power 5 football. And if we’re being honest they want to catch passes. It’s why they’re wide receivers. If Proctor get a million dollars from Oregon so be it. Then that’s a problem. I still think it’s 50-50 he stays. We need to put a better product on the field offensively. End of story.

Solution:

CFB: Amateur status only, no NIL.
miLF: minor League Football, NIL.
NFL: free agency, guaranteed contracts etc.

So we just got Cade McNamara. What do you think of the portal now? Did we have to offer him 100K? We are who we are. Need to be better offensively. Hopefully the Captain has recognized that!

Reactions: GarryO37
Businesses are paying 90% of the big money, and I'm sure they "have ways" to deduct business losses.

In fact, there's an IRS form for that problem.
Well maybe, and maybe not. Once you start involving the IRS, it MAY get interesting. Ever been audited? So your paying Joe high school a million dollars for WHAT exactly? And you want to write it off because he didn't perform WHAT duties exactly, BUT, BUT, BUT, he's NOT an employee? Yea, that should be an interesting discussion.....

I think the real answer lies somewhere between unlimited NIL and no NIL. Right now, the system has no real parameters and the auto-transfer rule exaggerates the impact of NIL in that transfer market. Some limits are needed on NIL payment amounts AND we need the return of the 1 year sit out rule. College football cannot be a "free market" because it is AMATEUR athletics...it may sound anachronistic but its still supposed to be, at least partially, about the academic experience. We shouldn't forget that...nor should we expose these kids to a full on "free agent style" market as 18 and 19 year olds.

Well maybe, and maybe not. Once you start involving the IRS, it MAY get interesting. Ever been audited? So your paying Joe high school a million dollars for WHAT exactly? And you want to write it off because he didn't perform WHAT duties exactly, BUT, BUT, BUT, he's NOT an employee? Yea, that should be an interesting discussion.....
Yes, I've been audited. No problemo...

Yes, I've been audited. No problemo...
Not really my point. This is a SUPER grey area, and the Feds are not down with grey. Your paying someone, who is not your employee for a service thats really what exactly, and then asking to deduct a loss for What? A service he didn't perform. "Well I paid the guy a million dollars, but he was a bust, and never played in a game, and now he went to another school, so I want my money back". Say what? I mean if you use the charade that he does a car commercial, and he does it, then you can't claim a loss. BUT, how do you write off on your taxes that the guy didn't work out, and left for another school, with your bag of cash?

Reactions: Hendy hawk
So we just got Cade McNamara. What do you think of the portal now? Did we have to offer him 100K? We are who we are. Need to be better offensively. Hopefully the Captain has recognized that!

I’m guessing this thread is dead now.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Not really my point. This is a SUPER grey area, and the Feds are not down with grey. Your paying someone, who is not your employee for a service thats really what exactly, and then asking to deduct a loss for What? A service he didn't perform. "Well I paid the guy a million dollars, but he was a bust, and never played in a game, and now he went to another school, so I want my money back". Say what? I mean if you use the charade that he does a car commercial, and he does it, then you can't claim a loss. BUT, how do you write off on your taxes that the guy didn't work out, and left for another school, with your bag of cash?
Relax. There will be mistakes, and they'll lose the deduction. Then, there will be some deductions that are accepted. It'll all be resolved to the IRS's satisfaction, and the deductions that are accepted will be abused. Years of litigation to sort out...don't lose sleep (unless, of course, you're a Tax Accountant/Attorney).

Reactions: littlez
This is the quick beginning to the end of collegiate sports.

There needs to be an opt out movement. Colleges outside the top 10 should opt out and only play similar. No NIL no transferring unless apporved by AD. Give Schollys to less talented kids who actually want to play the game for the game initiallyuntil the dust settles.

Let the studs have fun playing about 10 schools total and/or let HS kids go pro with 0 option to return to college sports once announced, see how that works out.

Otherwise we won't have to worry about the CFP...CFB won't exist.

I would love to hear anyone in support of this crap, I've yet to meet someone who likes it outside of the few kids reaping the $$.
It started growing on me about 7:43 this evening. I'm feeling it.

Relax. There will be mistakes, and they'll lose the deduction. Then, there will be some deductions that are accepted. It'll all be resolved to the IRS's satisfaction, and the deductions that are accepted will be abused. Years of litigation to sort out...don't lose sleep (unless, of course, you're a Tax Accountant/Attorney).
Believe me, I'm not concerned in any way. I hope they do lose their asses over this, and think twice about throwing bags of money at unproven high school kids. Their going to reap what they sow, so good deal.....

Believe me, I'm not concerned in any way. I hope they do lose their asses over this, and think twice about throwing bags of money at unproven high school kids. Their going to reap what they sow, so good deal.....
They probably paid 'em in FTX Crypto currency anyway...which brings up the question ~ How will Crypto losses be deducted?

Who is going to lose their asses? What are you talking about? While I agree the whole NIL thing is ridiculous, with absolutely no real return on investment (see Texas A & M) it’s here to stay. For better or worse!

Who is going to lose their asses? What are you talking about? While I agree the whole NIL thing is ridiculous, with absolutely no real return on investment (see Texas A & M) it’s here to stay. For better or worse!
USC got a return on their investment!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT