ADVERTISEMENT

Someone tell me you like the NIL/Portal?

I love the portal. I love anything that makes my favorite sport less exploitative.

The players make the sport. They deserve to be able to choose what's best for them and they deserve to be compensated.
Your sport will no longer exist sooner then later if this isn't regulated.

Once the dust settles it will be an overall good thing. A few things:

1) why should anyone not be able to make money based on their own name/image?
2) market prices are still being figured out. A&M/their boosters are not getting a good return right now. Their boosters are going to be more gun shy in the future.
3) talent will ultimately be more evenly distributed once the market is established. Before NIL there was little impetus for someone to not go to, or not stay at, say, Alabama. Pre-NIL if the second best qb in the nation was also the number 2 qb at Alabama and he’s a junior and the top qb is a senior, the 2/junior likely stays at Alabama. He plays his one year and gets drafted high and goes on his way to the NFL. Now that 2/junior is much more likely to leave Alabama because boosters aren’t going to want to pony up much for the backup. Same thing will happen in recruiting the same position. USC will no longer get 3 of the top 5 RBs as they often did during the Pete Carroll era. Immediately and in the very near future the talent might get more bunched as boosters don’t have a clue what they are doing, but that won’t last, they are going to want something in return for their investment. For ALL of their investments.

OP, why do you think CFB is going to end?

Reactions: mikesright
This is the quick beginning to the end of collegiate sports.

There needs to be an opt out movement. Colleges outside the top 10 should opt out and only play similar. No NIL no transferring unless apporved by AD. Give Schollys to less talented kids who actually want to play the game for the game initiallyuntil the dust settles.

Let the studs have fun playing about 10 schools total and/or let HS kids go pro with 0 option to return to college sports once announced, see how that works out.

Otherwise we won't have to worry about the CFP...CFB won't exist.

I would love to hear anyone in support of this crap, I've yet to meet someone who likes it outside of the few kids reaping the $$.
I like it. NCAA screwed themselves over. No reason the money makers should pay for their incompetence.

Who is going to lose their asses? What are you talking about? While I agree the whole NIL thing is ridiculous, with absolutely no real return on investment (see Texas A & M) it’s here to stay. For better or worse!
The entitys who are throwing big $$ at guys only to have them, maybe never play, or do little at their school and then transfer with their bag of cash. Really have to think there of some folks that won't be to happy about that. I realize the NIL shit is here to stay, (in some form), but there will certainly be some changes, because this isn't going to work like it is now...

2) market prices are still being figured out. A&M/their boosters are not getting a good return right now. Their boosters are going to be more gun shy in the future.
3) talent will ultimately be more evenly distributed once the market is established. Before NIL there was little impetus for someone to not go to, or not stay at, say, Alabama. Pre-NIL if the second best qb in the nation was also the number 2 qb at Alabama and he’s a junior and the top qb is a senior, the 2/junior likely stays at Alabama. He plays his one year and gets drafted high and goes on his way to the NFL. Now that 2/junior is much more likely to leave Alabama because boosters aren’t going to want to pony up much for the backup. Same thing will happen in recruiting the same position. USC will no longer get 3 of the top 5 RBs as they often did during the Pete Carroll era. Immediately and in the very near future the talent might get more bunched as boosters don’t have a clue what they are doing, but that won’t last, they are going to want something in return for their investment. For ALL of their investments.

Thats NOT the point at all. If this was actually NIL then thats fine, BUT what we have going on now has absolutely ZERO to do with NIL. How can you reward a high school kid with bags of $$ when he hasn't even been in the market yet? Thats not his NIL, thats paying him him to sway what college he'll go to which has nothing to do with NIL

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Well maybe, and maybe not. Once you start involving the IRS, it MAY get interesting. Ever been audited? So your paying Joe high school a million dollars for WHAT exactly? And you want to write it off because he didn't perform WHAT duties exactly, BUT, BUT, BUT, he's NOT an employee? Yea, that should be an interesting discussion.....
Call it endorsement deal. People with that kind of money have the best tax attorneys.

I like that it gives Iowa a chance to quickly rebuild their offense. It was a disaster this year. The portal allows the coaches to fix things. Come next week we will be liking the portal and NIL.

If there are not numerous coaching changes, bringing in players from the NFL won't fix the offense. Remember-the coaches recruited and trained the current offensive dumpster fire.

I love the portal. I love anything that makes my favorite sport less exploitative.

The players make the sport. They deserve to be able to choose what's best for them and they deserve to be compensated.

How do you feel about the NFL draft and the NFL minimum salaries. Both facets are anti-competitive and limit players' abilities to find the best deal. So, why does the NFL maintain such a system?

Do you like a free market or getting paid more money to leave your job for a better one? The coaches and ADs make millions of dollars a year along with the schools. The courts determined the schools were taking advantage of them. The players have a marketable skill that is in high demand which they can get paid for. Start ponying up money or get left in the dust, it's really as simple as that. It doesn't matter if we like it or not.
The problem is that there is no way in place to ensure competitive balance. If the game becomes unfair, then people will quit watching.

I don't like it but understand that it is here and we need to play ball to remain semi competitive for recruits

But, sure it has dampened my interest in college sports. At least the NFL has contracts.

Reactions: grayhair81
It was pretty unfair to these athletes that they had to wait until after they left school to make money from autographs and endorsements when, sadly, they weren't really as popular anymore. NIL is supposed to fix that.

Also, it was pretty unfair to the athletes that THEY had to commit to a school and follow sit-out rules while the coaches were always able to chase more millions with new jobs and leave a program on a whim. The Portal is supposed to fox that.

The execution of these programs hasn't been perfect, and both probably need some added rules since it does feel a little like the Wild West right now, but overall both were long overdue reforms that were needed.

Thats NOT the point at all. If this was actually NIL then thats fine, BUT what we have going on now has absolutely ZERO to do with NIL. How can you reward a high school kid with bags of $$ when he hasn't even been in the market yet? Thats not his NIL, thats paying him him to sway what college he'll go to which has nothing to do with NIL
Did Patrick McCaffery get paid by Falbo’s prior to him coming to Iowa? Clearly you can’t say what we have going on now “has absolutely ZERO to do with NIL”.

But I agree with you it’s not perfect. It’s my understanding that NIL deals aren’t supposed to be struck prior to signing letters of intent. That needs cleaning up/policing/enforcement. Some of that cleaning up will happen organically as the market is better understood and boosters see they aren’t getting a return on their investment in high school kids. I would also assume collectives will be outlawed at some point. That will help a lot since the collectives are essentially sanctioned collusion. If an individual/business wants to strike a bad NIL deal, fine. But by introducing collectives you lose a lot of accountability - e.g. the CEO/owner of company X didn’t make a bad investment, “the collective” made a bad investment.

Reactions: hawkdave007
How do you feel about the NFL draft and the NFL minimum salaries. Both facets are anti-competitive and limit players' abilities to find the best deal. So, why does the NFL maintain such a system?
Apples to oranges comparison

The entitys who are throwing big $$ at guys only to have them, maybe never play, or do little at their school and then transfer with their bag of cash. Really have to think there of some folks that won't be to happy about that. I realize the NIL shit is here to stay, (in some form), but there will certainly be some changes, because this isn't going to work like it is now...
If their not happy they don’t have to give money. There’s no guarantee how a kid is going to develop at any school. And right now hawk fans are all giddy about getting McNamara but we still have Brian as our coordinator and no receivers. If the whole thing fails are guys going to want their 20 dollars back? Lol

Seriously? Their salaries are minimum, not maximum; they're negotiated between the team and the player. The players have a Union; the players have representation. How is that "anti-competitive?" How does that "...limit players' abilities to find the best deal?"

What are you talking about?

Are you self-employed? If not, it is highly unlikely you are making money off your name, image, or likeness. If you work for someone else, you are presumably making money for them. Your manager and the CEO/Owner of that business makes a lot more than you. I work for a huge organization. There are thousands of people there that make more than me. And I am OK with that.

Are you self-employed? If not, it is highly unlikely you are making money off your name, image, or likeness. If you work for someone else, you are presumably making money for them. Your manager and the CEO/Owner of that business makes a lot more than you. I work for a huge organization. There are thousands of people there that make more than me. And I am OK with that.
My apologies, but I’m not following what your point is relative to my post that you quoted…

Seriously? Their salaries are minimum, not maximum; they're negotiated between the team and the player. The players have a Union; the players have representation. How is that "anti-competitive?" How does that "...limit players' abilities to find the best deal?"

What are you talking about?

By placing a minimum salary, it restricts a high-demand player from negotiating his true market value with a salary cap in place. The top-end players' earnings are limited by guaranteeing others a minimum salary. Pretty basic stuff.
NIL, in contrast, is the wild west. No one is governing it and it is spinning rapidly out of control.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
My apologies, but I’m not following what your point is relative to my post that you quoted…

Your first question was why shouldn't people not be able to make money off their names, images, and likenesses. I responded to that question.

By placing a minimum salary, it restricts a high-demand player from negotiating his true market value with a salary cap in place. The top-end players' earnings are limited by guaranteeing others a minimum salary. Pretty basic stuff.
NIL, in contrast, is the wild west. No one is governing it and it is spinning rapidly out of control.
The minimum salary has zero impact on a high-demand player's negotiation ~ none at all. You just don't get it.

We do, however, agree in part: NIL is the wild west, but it is not spinning out of control. It just like a new stock on the stock market ~ the price starts out too high; then it drops too low; then it settles in right where it should be.

Semantics to an extent. I'm not trying to argue with you, I do understand what you are saying. By virtue of a player being good enough to receive an offer from multiple P5 schools, that in and of itself sets a market for his value. His Name, Image and Likeness, yes, before he's ever played a game, has worth. All the collectives have to do is have the player provide some sort of service (showing up to a signing, participating in some volunteer activity), and I believe they are covered legally.

It is unseemly when compared to what college FB has been. But this door was kicked open officially 9-0 by the Supreme Court last year when they issued the ruling about players being able to get paid for their NIL. Supreme Court doesn't agree 9-0 on pretty much anything, which shows you the NCAA's stance that these were amateurs was not defensible. The coaches, assistants, support staff, athletic departments can all get paid very well, but the players can't?

Your first question was why shouldn't people not be able to make money off their names, images, and likenesses. I responded to that question.
But I have the opportunity to do so. I could go into a local dealership and tell them I’d like to be their spokesperson. They’d probably say “you’re obviously sexy AF and well spoken, but kindly **** off” but I'd at least have the opportunity. A teenage popstar can make money off their NIL. Why not collegiate athletes? Why should anyone not be able to make money off their NIL? I’m still not following the progression from that question to my CEO making more than me. I’m ok with that too, even though I’m more valuable to our organization than they are :).

The minimum salary has zero impact on a high-demand player's negotiation ~ none at all. You just don't get it.

We do, however, agree in part: NIL is the wild west, but it is not spinning out of control. It just like a new stock on the stock market ~ the price starts out too high; then it drops too low; then it settles in right where it should be.

How can you say that guaranteeing everyone a minimum salary does not limit people on the high-end of the scale when the total pool of money for salaries is limited? It is the most basic economic principle.

because the moneylines won't spread far enough to handle all these teams...it will be narrowed down to 15-20 who can compete. Fans bases will leave and the $$ will dry up. Unless major regulations r implemented very soon. CFB will become the D league.

But I have the opportunity to do so. I could go into a local dealership and tell them I’d like to be their spokesperson. They’d probably say “you’re obviously sexy AF and well spoken, but kindly **** off” but I'd at least have the opportunity. A teenage popstar can make money off their NIL. Why not collegiate athletes? Why should anyone not be able to make money off their NIL? I’m still not following the progression from that question to my CEO making more than me. I’m ok with that too, even though I’m more valuable to our organization than they are :).

Most professional employees sign non-competitive contracts prohibiting them from free-lancing or promoting themselves for personal gain while employed. The poor 100k per year college athletes were not unique in having restrictions placed on their earning abilities.

Reactions: hawkisoaker
If these institutions are going to be seen as run like a business then fine....no fed $$, the players can pay their own ins, food, clothes, and help with cost of stadiums, etc.

They are cherry picking the system, it's complete BS.

And if it's a biz then that biz should be able to set the salary, no?...as in a Scholly. If the employee doesn't like it, leave for another, bc your option is the NFL if u have the talent,otherwise shut up play and go to free school.

If these kids think it's their right to go make the $$$, then they can build their own platforms needed to even be relevant.

Go pay for all your shit like a true biz would, build your own stadiums, clothes, insurance etc...oh wait, that's called the NFL.

The whole thing is beyond stupid and will wreck collegiate/amature sports...which maybe is the hidden agenda anyways.

You can keep saying that, but that doesn't make your assertion any less absurd.
It's the same as those who think it's fine when players decide not to play in their team's bowl game.

My comeback is: do you LIKE bowl games? Do you WANT them to continue? Because if you do, then you'd better support your marquee players being in them, or they will soon be so devalued that they'll go away (which will happen when the playoff expands)

NIL and open transferring is the same. It is destabilizing the sport. The only weapon ADs have is eligibility, so what the NCAA needs to do is go back to the sit-a-year-out if you transfer rule. Go back to 4-year maximum eligibility. Tighten academic standards. The "student" part of "student-athlete" has become a farce (imagine Alex Padilla being at a disadvantage because he actually WANTS to take a real schedule and get a real education!)

Let's not bury our heads in the sand. This sport we all love is at risk of becoming something none of us recognize any longer--and maybe, none of us want any longer as well

It's the same as those who think it's fine when players decide not to play in their team's bowl game.

My comeback is: do you LIKE bowl games? Do you WANT them to continue? Because if you do, then you'd better support your marquee players being in them, or they will soon be so devalued that they'll go away (which will happen when the playoff expands)

NIL and open transferring is the same. It is destabilizing the sport. The only weapon ADs have is eligibility, so what the NCAA needs to do is go back to the sit-a-year-out if you transfer rule. Go back to 4-year maximum eligibility. Tighten academic standards. The "student" part of "student-athlete" has become a farce (imagine Alex Padilla being at a disadvantage because he actually WANTS to take a real schedule and get a real education!)

Let's not bury our heads in the sand. This sport we all love is at risk of becoming something none of us recognize any longer--and maybe, none of us want any longer as well
Spot on!

Stop it man, The Portal is only bad when someone transfers out!!!! Oh heck yeah we got McNamara, who said the portal is ruining the game??!!!! Iowa fans are bipolar.
My opinion hasn't changed...but well done, put words in others mouths so you can feel like you're right. You should run for office!

Far from a boomer but the thought that keyboard warriors ARE ACTUALLY giving money to buy college players for their favorite school is one of the dumbest ****ing things I’ve ever heard of. College sports are a ****ing joke because of this. Rip the band aid off and stop pretending these kids are student athletes. I’ll still watch and root for Iowa but college sports are a joke now. Also thank you sport dorks for buying Cade (lol what an asinine thing).

Nope..still think it's crap. Imagine trying to manipulate this every year 2 weeks before signing day.

Like I said… The portal helps level the playing field. If Cade couldn’t enter the portal, then a D1 QB is stuck on the bench when he could be helping a team at a position of need, like Iowa.

Reactions: Ignored
I'm showing my age here, but I used to love MLB in the early 70s, specifically the Pittsburgh Pirates. Then free agency came along. The Pirates (and other MLB teams) have never been able to figure out free agency. I have to admit that I am concerned that "developmental" programs like Iowa will become the Pirates of college FB.

Just like free agency made pro sports disappear. Got it.

Reactions: HedgeHawk1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT