ADVERTISEMENT

Something I find concerning

SSG T

HR Legend
Jul 10, 2002
My son is a Sr in college. Biology/chemistry dual major and doing secondary ed certification. He's been student teaching for 1 1/2 weeks. He just got a job offer after his 1st interview at a moderate sized (upper end of 3A) HS in Central Iowa. Oh, along with JV basketball and asst track and XC.

He still has 5 more interviews lined up in the next week. Is it me, or is it concerning that a Sr in college who has 7 days of student teaching is getting a job in January?

I'm happy for him, and I think he'll be great. Just given the size and location of the school, it's concerning that he might be the best option.

My son is a Sr in college. Biology/chemistry dual major and doing secondary ed certification. He's been student teaching for 1 1/2 weeks. He just got a job offer after his 1st interview at a moderate sized (upper end of 3A) HS in Central Iowa. Oh, along with JV basketball and asst track and XC.

He still has 5 more interviews lined up in the next week. Is it me, or is it concerning that a Sr in college who has 7 days of student teaching is getting a job in January?

I'm happy for him, and I think he'll be great. Just given the size and location of the school, it's concerning that he might be the best option.
Teachers are quitting in droves. New teachers will have their pick and my gut says there's going to be a 3-5 year constant turnover ratio.

My daughter is in year 3 and is moving schools while simultaneously looking at changing careers. She's miserable.

Of course she's been through hell at that title 1 school--sexually assaulted (verbally) where the $hitbag 8th grader was expelled; there was that fun 2021 planned kidnap and rape (of her), and then just the daily fights and constant disrespect. Good times!

Hasn't he had about 17 or 18 years to figure out what teachers do?

This is what happens when one party labels teachers groomers, and crushes their attempts to collectively bargain.
I've posted this before, my son had every intention of becoming an English teacher, then he decided that having some Karen of a parent scream at him because Pride and Prejudice is too racy for them, and being paid an increasingly non competitive wage, just wasn't worth it. He had every intention of being a teacher in Iowa.

A secondary sciences teacher who also coaches? LOL...dude, he's the Holy Grail. If he can teach math...he's Jesus.

Teachers are quitting in droves. New teachers will have their pick and my gut says there's going to be a 3-5 year constant turnover ratio.

My daughter is in year 3 and is moving schools while simultaneously looking at changing careers. She's miserable.

Of course she's been through hell at that title 1 school--sexually assaulted (verbally) where the $hitbag 8th grader was expelled; there was that fun 2021 planned kidnap and rape (of her), and then just the daily fights and constant disrespect. Good times!

Sounds like schools can use more school resources police officers. But that's not fashionable to the left these days.

That and the left's push for equal disciplinary outcomes in spite of what may be actually happening at that school.

It's fascinating to watch. The left's own policies are hurting a profession containing a majority of leftwing people.

A secondary sciences teacher who also coaches? LOL...dude, he's the Holy Grail. If he can teach math...he's Jesus.

He's already coached a season of JH basketball and has helped with the off-season XC work at his old HS.

Sounds like schools can use more school resources police officers. But that's not fashionable to the left these days.

That and the left's push for equal disciplinary outcomes in spite of what may be actually happening at that school.

It's fascinating to watch. The left's own policies are hurting a profession containing a majority of leftwing people.
🙄

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r

My no-pic wife teaches 8th grade in a Central Iowa 3A school and she has had several “one and done” teachers on her team in recent years. And many early retirements. So much depends on admin support.

Reactions: MitchLL
It won't be long until the majority of teachers have an "alternative license". Those licenses don't require a person to have a college degree in teaching, they'll be able to teach with any college degree. Then it'll work it's way down to where anyone with a high school degree can teach. Eventually a GED will do the trick. Some may laugh and think that's overblown, but we're already heading that way.

Here in Illinois the suburban school district where I live
has very few turnovers. The elementary schools and
high school have a majority of teachers with at least
20 to 25 years in the district. The pay is good , the parents
are supportive, and the administration is top-notch.
Many of the faculty members at the high school have a
Masters Degree and some even have a PH.D.

The students are eager to learn and headed for college.
Suburban school districts have high property taxes which
help to fund the schools. School districts are all about.......
location, location, location.

Biology/Chemistry major?

I could find him a dozen jobs without trying. There are schools right now that can't teach chemistry because they can't find anyone qualified to teach it.

Our social circle had quite a few teachers. I was shocked over the holidays at the sheer number who had retired early or just straight up left teaching, because they’re completely sick of parents in this state and the hostile environment towards educators created by the GOP.

The few that were still in teaching were discussing their intention to switch careers.

This state is headed over the cliff.

Last edited by a moderator:

You’re more homosexual than men who take dicks in their butts.

Reactions: BlIIlken2
It won't be long until the majority of teachers have an "alternative license". Those licenses don't require a person to have a college degree in teaching, they'll be able to teach with any college degree. Then it'll work it's way down to where anyone with a high school degree can teach. Eventually a GED will do the trick. Some may laugh and think that's overblown, but we're already heading that way.
I think some states like Florida are already doing some of that.

This is what happens when one party labels teachers groomers, and crushes their attempts to collectively bargain.
I've posted this before, my son had every intention of becoming an English teacher, then he decided that having some Karen of a parent scream at him because Pride and Prejudice is too racy for them, and being paid an increasingly non competitive wage, just wasn't worth it. He had every intention of being a teacher in Iowa.
We’ve had this problem for a couple decades

Our social circle had tons of teachers. I was shocked over the holidays at the sheer number who had retired early or just straight up left teaching, because they’re completely sick of parents in this state and the hostile environment towards educators created by the GOP.

The few that were still in teaching were discussing their intention to switch careers.

Yep. I have had a couple teachers we know do the same thing. One had been in teaching for about 10 years and got sick of the BS from parents and admin not supporting the teachers. He left and got a job as a corporate trainer for a fairly large company and started out making more than he was teaching. I asked him if he was happy with his decision and he just smiled real big and said, Yep!

Dim Kim already lowered standards for child care licensing, teaching and medical care are likely next.

The old adage..."If you can't find someone to meet your standards, lower your standards" seems to be the Republican motto.

Our social circle had quite a few teachers. I was shocked over the holidays at the sheer number who had retired early or just straight up left teaching, because they’re completely sick of parents in this state and the hostile environment towards educators created by the GOP.

If my wife's school offered her an early out, she'd be gone.

Any links to this being remotely true?
Just out of curiosity, in today's stressed labor market where do you think schools will find all of the qualified school resource offices, and how will they pay them competitive wages and benefits?

Dim Kim already lowered standards for child care licensing, teaching and medical care are likely next.

The old adage..."If you can't find someone to meet your standards, lower your standards" seems to be the Republican motto.
Yep, Iowa is facing a tidal wave of retirements and burn out, and Kimmie's solution was to plug in younger, less comprehensively trained replacements.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT