ADVERTISEMENT

something nebbie fans did not think about when entering B1G

1inamillion

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2001
The hawks would pown them in hoops.I have had a field day talking hoops with them this year.Old Flick Shag wanted this off the football board.

They probably did think that they would pound us in football which is really all they care about. And since they joined the B1G there football win percentage against us is higher than our basketball win percentage against them. Just saying.

... or they thought about basketball for a couple seconds and then went right back to their obsession with the football program. 90% of Husker fans are unconcerned, at best indifferent ,with Nebraska basketball. After the bowl season, the main topic of discussion is football recruiting and the rest of the winter they are more focused on the Spring scrimmage than any basketball game.

The OP thinks Nebby cares about anything but football?

big-show-laugh-o.gif

Honestly, for me (and many fans of many programs throughout the country), having a decent men's bball program is merely a nice luxury and distraction during the football offseason. The football program is priority #1, #2, and #3 and should be treated as such. Hate it but have to agree with Nebraska on this one.

Originally posted by wyohawk:
Honestly, for me (and many fans of many programs throughout the country), having a decent men's bball program is merely a nice luxury and distraction during the football offseason. The football program is priority #1, #2, and #3 and should be treated as such. Hate it but have to agree with Nebraska on this one.
They have Creighton basketball to look forward to.

they were all fired up about their hoops last year.they pack the gym every game this year for hoops.they care.

Not me. Personally, I
would rather have a great basketball program.

Originally posted by arizona-hawk:

Not me. Personally, I
would rather have a great basketball program.
Yeah, me too. Iowa Basketball has been my first sports love for longer than I care to admit. That's one of the reasons I am so grateful for Coach McCaffery for the steady progress he has made with the program. That, and the apathy I feel toward the direction Ferentz has us inevitably taking in football makes basketball doubly important to me.

Originally posted by Pepperman:
How is ol' Creighton doing these days?

Originally posted by FG86:

Better than a Husker crowd.

Husker fans do care about more sports than football. Basketball attendance was really great last year and was solid this year. Nebraska leads the nation in volleyball attendance. The Husker baseball team drew over 17,000 fans for a three-game series this last weekend.

Originally posted by Cougar63:

How long before they run McD out of town?

Since I don't even follow football I guess it would be obvious that I am a basketball fan first. In fact first, last and only. I like that former athletes in the sport I enjoy are not cripples.

At least not in more than very rare cases that could be reasonably called accidents. I've never thought of 300 pound men repeatedly slamming into each other as hard as they can as accidents.

So, anyway. Nebraska. Half the population of Iowa and no tradition at all, and in an age when television markets rule the sport they decide to build and expensive place to play basketball?

Yeah, success? I don't see it happening. It's hard enough for the Hawkeyes and at least we've been at it in a serious manner for many decades.

grp-i don't they've beaten us in hoops since joining the league.don't think our fb record is o% against them.

I'm the same way, only switch football w/ basketball and I'm in complete agreement. Too bad Iowa football has been dead for years w/ no signs of improvement on the horizon.

Originally posted by 1inamillion:

grp-i don't they've beaten us in hoops since joining the league.don't think our fb record is o% against them.
Nebraska is 2-5 against Iowa since joining the Big 10.

We're .250 against them in football. They're .285 against us in basketball, so almost the same.

Wow, they've lost to us 5 times already in bball. Didn't realize that. I guess when you expect to beat a team you don't appreciate how often Iowa does it. Almost got to beat them down another time this year.

Originally posted by Cougar63:

How long before they run McD out of town?
There's not even a mention of it considering he lost four starters (one being a top 5 NCAA player of all time) last year and was still competitive in all but a few conference games this year.

Originally posted by Alum-Ni:
Husker fans do care about more sports than football. Basketball attendance was really great last year and was solid this year. Nebraska leads the nation in volleyball attendance. The Husker baseball team drew over 17,000 fans for a three-game series this last weekend.
Other than football, Husker fans are the biggest bandwaggoners around. They brag about baseball attendence now, but under the last few years of the previous coach, it was a ghost town. They go to basketball now because Lincoln has a new arena, but under Sadler the Omaha paper ran stories about miserable attendance. Now that the smell is off of the Miles' rose, expect that bandwagon to fall off as well...

Of course, they'll go on and on about how they are the best fanbase in all the world. It has to be true, you know, because it says so right on their football stadium.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BluejayAttyAlum:
Other than football, Husker fans are the biggest bandwaggoners around. They brag about baseball attendence now, but under the last few years of the previous coach, it was a ghost town. They go to basketball now because Lincoln has a new arena, but under Sadler the Omaha paper ran stories about miserable attendance. Now that the smell is off of the Miles' rose, expect that bandwagon to fall off as well...

Of course, they'll go on and on about how they are the best fanbase in all the world. It has to be true, you know, because it says so right on their football stadium.
rolleyes.r191677.gif
Say what you want, still 17,000 showed up for a baseball series against Florida Gulf Coast. Time will tell about Miles and attendance at PBA. Creighton hoops wasn't exactly a hot ticket either under previous coaches in the old Civic.

Originally posted by BluejayAttyAlum:

rolleyes.r191677.gif
What was Creighton's attendance like pre Dana Altman? I'll wait.

Pot meet kettle.

Meh,

I'll answer that for you. In Dana Altman's first year at Creighton the "non bandwagon" fanbase averaged a whopping 2, 792 fans at the Civic. Yeah, no bandwagon there.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by KcRoyals13:

Meh,

I'll answer that for you. In Dana Altman's first year at Creighton the "non bandwagon" fanbase averaged a whopping 2, 792 fans at the Civic. Yeah, no bandwagon there.
laugh.r191677.gif
You're referencing attendance from 1995?

Originally posted by cg8284:

Originally posted by KcRoyals13:

Meh,

laugh.r191677.gif
You're referencing attendance from 1995?
How does it not apply? Does it not prove Creighton fans are also "bandwagoners." Hell, you can make that case for any fanbase for that matter. Before Creighton started winning 20 games a year under Altman and the construction of the Century Building they were lucky to average 4K fans a game. Now they are top 10 attendance(along with NU).... And yet...they want to call out another fanbase for being "bandwagoners?" Again...pot meet kettle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT