ADVERTISEMENT

Something that will never change…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
At least it hasn't yet… is the belief that Iowa plays great “team defense“ but they are challenged athletically.

Hell sometimes our own fans foster this thought, especially with our walk-ons…

Yet defensive player after defensive player whether they are five stars or a walk on goes on to run pretty terrific combine & Pro day times… Dane Belton at 4.43, Koerner at 4.51. I guarantee you Merriweather is faster than that. Our linebackers always have solid 40 times & pro agility times and yet still to this day 80% of the scouting articles suggest we are sound, well coached “limited athletes“!!

I just read an article by a Bucs board that said he has really good athleticism, but 10 days ago he was “limited”

It really does get old!

At least it hasn't yet… is the belief that Iowa plays great “team defense“ but they are challenged athletically.

Yet defensive player after defensive player whether they are five stars or a walk on goes on to run pretty terrific combine & Pro day times… Dane Belton at 4.43, Koerner at 4.51. I guarantee you Merriweather is faster than that. Our linebackers always have solid 40 times & pro agility times and yet still to this day 80% of the scouting articles suggest we are sound, well coached “limited athletes“!!

I just read an article by a Bucs board that said he has really good athleticism, but 10 days ago he was “limited”

It really does get old!
The B10, overall, has had the speed knock especially vs. the SEC. If you pay close attention to what that knock is it starts with the front 4 and bleeds into the front 7. It is not about the skill guys (on D that is). Go take a look at what the Georgia down (defensive) lineman ran at the combine this year...

The B10, overall, has had the speed knock especially vs. the SEC. If you pay close attention to what that knock is it starts with the front 4 and bleeds into the front 7. It is not about the skill guys (on D that is). Go take a look at what the Georgia down (defensive) lineman ran at the combine this year...

Can you post up more information about this? Numbers, primarily.

Yeah I know that & those guys from Georgia were freaks of nature. But the “media” doesn’t sell it that way.

Besides the fact that Iowa and Michigan both have put a shit ton of defensive D-linemen & linebackers into the NFL in the last 5 to 10 drafts and I’ll tell you a secret…it ain’t because they’re slow or limited athletes!

Last edited:

It really does get old!
Honestly, after the Rose Bowl debacle six years ago, I thought Iowa has actually improved their overall team speed—offensively and defensively. The only position that really hasn’t improved is at quarterback.

Keep in mind, the basketball board lost their collective shit when the Murray twins were offered scholarships. The same sewer of stupidity flows through here.
I never lost my shit, but I don’t think a single Iowa fan predicted what has transpired over the Murray twins’ Iowa careers, which likely includes you. Don’t be glib.

I never lost my shit, but I don’t think a single Iowa fan predicted what has transpired over the Murray twins’ Iowa careers, which likely includes you. Don’t be glib.

No ...but a lot of people are happy with letting it play out ......letting the chips fall where they may! Other have to pretend they know everything about everything about Iowa sports and therefore make really dumb comments in hind site! Again Social Media is mostly a collection dumb!

No ...but a lot of people are happy with letting it play out ......letting the chips fall where they may! Other have to pretend they know everything about everything about Iowa sports and therefore make really dumb comments in hind site! Again Social Media is mostly a collection dumb!
I agree. And rankings are really just predictions. They are not an exact science. I think even Kenyon wrote on here that he would have been considered a disappointment given his high school McD’s AA status. Plus, a lot of highly ranked players Iowa has landed over the years haven’t always panned out. It’s a crapshoot.

The whole 40 times thing...I'm amazed that it is still a thing. Do you really believe it is a true/accurate measure of football ability? I'd be much more interested in those 10/20 yd times at most positions...but I'm not drafting or coaching either :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: FatIowaChick
Yeah I know that & those guys from Georgia were freaks of nature. But the “media” doesn’t sell it that way.

Besides the fact that Iowa and Michigan both have put a shit ton of defensive D-linemen & linebackers into the NFL in the last 5 to 10 drafts and I’ll tell you a secret…it ain’t because they’re slow or limited athletes!
I think it is more about overall team speed and when people say SEC speed they really mean Bama, Georgia Florida speed or just several top teams. But that's just because they recruit so well they are loaded with really good athletes at all positions and backups at their positions. ACC has some of this as well just because of the recruiting regions they are in. Also, you couldn't say that when comparing SEC to Ohio State because they would be equal. So it is kind of a stupid statement.
For some reason though, the top SEC teams being good gets put on the whole of the SEC when that isn't the case. I remember seeing a few years ago a study that showed when an SEC school lost they on averaged dropped fewer spots in the rankings than schools from other conferences and when they won they moved up more on average than schools from other conferences.

Maybe the folks wondering should have trusted the guy offering them, who actually knows something about basketball.
we had also just missed on xf, so the wound was open and getting the twins, with noone having even heard they were being considered and then offered scholarships, was like squeezing a lemon right in it. they appeared to be fall backs.

not everything is an 'i told you so' opportunity, sometimes things just work out for the best. this is one of those times.

Can you post up more information about this? Numbers, primarily.
-Travon Walker (6’5” 272 lbs) ran a 4.51 40
-Devante Wyatt (6’4” 304 lbs) ran a 4.71 40
-Jordan Davis (6’6” 347 lbs) ran a 4.78 40

Theyre freaks and since they played at Georgia I’m sure were extremely highly rated recruits out of high school, obviously.

• Haha
Reactions: FatIowaChick

The quantity the B10 produces is why we tend to fair better than other conferences, vs. the SEC, when it comes to tier II bowls. The top end quality is why they tend to kick the ish out of us in the playoffs etc.

Trust me when I say I wish it wasn't true - as you know I'm a diehard and grad of a B10 program. I'm also not saying our elite players aren't as good as their's. It's more that when we have 1 guy like that they have more. It sucks, and I agree with the poster above that implies it's a few schools in the SEC that skew the narrative, but to pretend it is not real is not being objective.

Reactions: POSiowaFan
Iowa players are tough, smart, and always in good position. Their film room work is to make up for their athleticism. LOL. I always love that...while Micah Hyde and Amani Hooker excel at the next level.

The quantity the B10 produces is why we tend to fair better than other conferences, vs. the SEC, when it comes to tier II bowls. The top end quality is why they tend to kick the ish out of us in the playoffs etc.

Trust me when I say I wish it wasn't true - as you know I'm a diehard and grad of a B10 program. I'm also not saying our elite players aren't as good as their's. It's more that when we have 1 guy like that they have more. It sucks, and I agree with the poster above that implies it's a few schools in the SEC that skew the narrative, but to pretend it is not real is not being objective.

I don’t necessarily disagree with that. They can compete sometimes. But the cold hard reality is this, Ohio State, Alabama LSU and Georgia are at a complete different level of NFL players production than everyone else in the world.

USC will likely be again, and Clemson is comparable but still..,hell I think Iowa & Michigan both have somewhere in the mid or high 30s as far as players in the NFL, shit those other teams have 50 or 60

• Haha
Reactions: POSiowaFan
I don’t necessarily disagree with that. They can compete sometimes. But the cold hard reality is this, Ohio State, Alabama LSU and Georgia are at a complete different level of NFL players production than everyone else in the world.

USC will likely be again, and Clemson is comparable but still..,hell I think Iowa & Michigan both have somewhere in the mid or high 30s as far as players in the NFL, shit those other teams have 50 or 60
I'm not disagreeing with you (either) overall but I'm not sure I've gotten my point across. It's not only about the quantity.

I ask you this: Would you rather have 2 first round draft picks on your DL or 3 seventh rounders?

It's not that the B10 isn't producing 1st rounders...we are...the SEC is producing more while the B10 is filling the league with depth.

Honest question...how many of the many Iowa DL in the NFL are producing?

Honestly, after the Rose Bowl debacle six years ago, I thought Iowa has actually improved their overall team speed—offensively and defensively. The only position that really hasn’t improved is at quarterback.

This

They have taken the overall talent up a peg imo but the glaring weakness the last 5 years has been at QB. Toady's CFB you need a QB to win you games, not just manage them and hope it is enough.

Keep in mind, the basketball board lost their collective shit when the Murray twins were offered scholarships. The same sewer of stupidity flows through here.
Lost their shit? I remember one thread where people were openly questioning it because they came from nowhere on the recruiting radar but they were headed to dme academy so there was time to develop. Most Iowa basketball fans this century aren't passionate enough to "lose their shit" but there's always some I guess. Yes, Fran scored with the Murrays (despite one still sitting behind secondborn) .... Now do all the borderline guys that he landed that never helped Iowa accomplish anything that matters and never sniffed playing past college. Way more of them (Garza was a 4*)

I was told in the early part of 20 season that Iowa foorball got soft and was screwed when they got rid of the douche who Kirk deemed the most important coach on the staff. Not sure how the OP could be true with such a critical loss

Agree that SEC country has more top tier talent and those teams do frequent the top tier games. But there are advantages laid out for them that goes beyond talent.
A little OT here on a why I think they kick the ish out of us in those playoff games.
Just an opinion, but I think travel and weather is a big deal. Not an excuse but the B10 absolutely travels double what the SEC does come bowl/playoff season. It feels 75% of the time, the SEC and ACC are basically playing home games.
For most of the B10, going from 8 degrees to 80 is a shock no matter what anyone says.
IF the playoffs ever expand to say 8 teams, the top 4 should get the right to host.
Just a hypothetical but I would bet that IF a Georgia vs OSU in the Orange Bowl, Georgia wins 8 out of 10. Put that game in the upper Midwest in mid December and it’s 50/50.
I get it, us midwesterners like to vacation go see our team play in warm weather but who wouldn’t love to watch Iowa play a team like Florida State, LSU or Clemson in Kinnick in December under the lights when it’s 13 degrees?
Would those same SEC teams still be consistently kicking the ish out of the B10?

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Agree that SEC country has more top tier talent and those teams do frequent the top tier games. But there are advantages laid out for them that goes beyond talent.
A little OT here on a why I think they kick the ish out of us in those playoff games.
Just an opinion, but I think travel and weather is a big deal. Not an excuse but the B10 absolutely travels double what the SEC does come bowl/playoff season. It feels 75% of the time, the SEC and ACC are basically playing home games.
For most of the B10, going from 8 degrees to 80 is a shock no matter what anyone says.
IF the playoffs ever expand to say 8 teams, the top 4 should get the right to host.
Just a hypothetical but I would bet that IF a Georgia vs OSU in the Orange Bowl, Georgia wins 8 out of 10. Put that game in the upper Midwest in mid December and it’s 50/50.
I get it, us midwesterners like to vacation go see our team play in warm weather but who wouldn’t love to watch Iowa play a team like Florida State, LSU or Clemson in Kinnick in December under the lights when it’s 13 degrees?
Would those same SEC teams still be consistently kicking the ish out of the B10?
I think the change in climate is a definite factor. Time zones can be a factor if one team has to travel across the country.

It would really interesting to see Bama or GA travel north in January.

20-25 years ago or so I was randomly flipping channels and came across Miami playing at Rutgers. This was when the U was at its peak and RU was at it's bottom (even for them). It was snowing and you could tell the wind was just howling.

It was the most comical thing I've seen on a football field and I was at Giant's stadium for Mark Sanchez's butt fumble. The Miami players wanted nothing to do with it. I swear it looked like some players were waving off the coaches when told to go in as they were all huddled around the space heaters as far from the field as they could get. The players on the field were visibly shaking and for the first 3 quarters the fastest they ran was back to the sidelines so they could throw a jacket on.

At one point Rutgers was up double digits and they were the worst team in CFB playing one of the best. Miami did come back but imagine if they had been playing a team with a pulse?

Reactions: lad2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT