ADVERTISEMENT

Sometimes...

cubsMDdmb

HR MVP
Jan 15, 2003
It just isn’t your night.

Have you ever seen a team get that hot? Yes. Because it was their night. Hawks just got caught in the perfect storm. I would love to press restart and maybe 3/10 we make it close/win.

It was the perfect storm last year at their place too, after Purdue responded after the passing of Tyler Trent.

Purdue was white hot, but really bad defense contributed a great deal. very bad effort by Iowa. When this team craps the bed they really crap the bed. If they are not embarrassed by this effort things are going to go south quickly. A good team does not get beat like this and I do not care where the game is played.

This team is exceeding expectations in all regards. Beat Nebraska this weekend, get to 8-5, and move forward. Would like to get at least a 6 seed in the tournament to give us a reasonable chance at the sweet 16.

Get beat by 25 plus points is okay. There is no reason why you can't defend the 3pt line better. Purdue got 20 3pt shot attempts in 1st half alone and most of them weren't contested.

Fran stuck in the zone and he doubled inside players and left open shooters. Purdue was shooting HORSE. You can't say you didn't see a difference in defense from Purdue side vs Iowa side. JoeW and Fredrick had defenders in their jocks the entire game.

Sure flush the game, but you gotta play better defense.

Reactions: TDJ7
I expected a loss, but didn't think that Iowa would be as astoundingly putrid as they were.

Even with this dreadful performance Hawks still need only 3 more wins to be a virtual lock for a tourney bid.

Get beat by 25 plus points is okay. There is no reason why you can't defend the 3pt line better. Purdue got 20 3pt shot attempts in 1st half alone and most of them weren't contested.

Fran stuck in the zone and he doubled inside players and left open shooters. Purdue was shooting HORSE. You can't say you didn't see a difference in defense from Purdue side vs Iowa side. JoeW and Fredrick had defenders in their jocks the entire game.

Sure flush the game, but you gotta play better defense.

Well put.
Running into a hot shooting team is one thing, but no way we should lose by 30+.

Hawks have responded well all year, so not too worried...yet

Purdue made 19 three pointers in the
game. It is tough to beat a team that is
on fire from three point land. Purdue
just killed the Iowa zone tonight.

Purdue was white hot, but really bad defense contributed a great deal. very bad effort by Iowa. When this team craps the bed they really crap the bed. If they are not embarrassed by this effort things are going to go south quickly. A good team does not get beat like this and I do not care where the game is played.
Yes, but most teams don't hit shots like that in pregame shoot arounds.

They're a good defensive team but worst shooting team in the conference.

When you combine their normally solid elements, with fluke shooting it took Iowa out of their flow early.

Reactions: papabeef
I love my Hawks, and I can count the number of games I’ve missed in 55 years (since Ralph Miller) on the fingers of one hand. And I think Fran is a very good offensive coach. But until he gets an assistant to help him out on the defensive side, he’s not going to win the BIG. Nineteen 3 pointers against one of the worst shooting teams in the league? (They just said this was one short of Purdue’s record, which btw, was against Iowa.) If Fran didn’t have a history of defensive collapses, I would have chucked this up to “this is just one game.” But it’s not. Something needs to change as far as coaching defense is concerned.

Go Hawks the rest of the season.

Very similar to DePaul game. We play pretty lousy and the other team is very very hot from 3. Just how it goes sometimes.

They're a good defensive team but worst shooting team in the conference.

When you combine their normally solid elements, with fluke shooting it took Iowa out of their flow early.

Iowa was going to get beat, no doubt. You don't have to allow 40 3pt attempts though, you can run Purdue off the 3pt line and make them beat you with 2pt shots. Virgina did get beat this year by Purdue and they gave up 10/25 from 3pt line, so Purdue being hot at home happens. The number of 3pt attempts given up by Iowa was too many for a team that was shooting well over 50 percent from 3 in the game.

19 made threes is just unconscious. The boilers would have beat every team in the country tonight.

Iowa was going to get beat, no doubt. You don't have to allow 40 3pt attempts though, you can run Purdue off the 3pt line and make them beat you with 2pt shots. Virgina did get beat this year by Purdue and they gave up 10/25 from 3pt line, so Purdue being hot at home happens. The number of 3pt attempts given up by Iowa was too many for a team that was shooting well over 50 percent from 3 in the game.

Iowa clearly didn't play with much effort on D for most of the game.

I love my Hawks, and I can count the number of games I’ve missed in 55 years (since Ralph Miller) on the fingers of one hand. And I think Fran is a very good offensive coach. But until he gets an assistant to help him out on the defensive side, he’s not going to win the BIG. Nineteen 3 pointers against one of the worst shooting teams in the league? (They just said this was one short of Purdue’s record, which btw, was against Iowa.) If Fran didn’t have a history of defensive collapses, I would have chucked this up to “this is just one game.” But it’s not. Something needs to change as far as coaching defense is concerned.

I agree with your comments!

Reactions: Aleksei
Purdue would have made damn near any defense look bad tonight. The ball moved unbelievably well. Remember they did this to Michigan State the other day. They made every right pass at the right time, never as much as a hesitation. We just watched a team have an out of body experience for 40 minutes nearly without interruption.

Put it this way... had Iowa matched it with its own out of body experience, the game would now be in triple overtime, six players—three for each team—with over 20 points, Garza would be over 50, and it would be called the greatest regular season game—any sport—of all time.

Purdue got cold from three, made one of their last six, and finished 20-35. Not going to look but I bet they made 35 field goals and 20 of them are threes and I bet 32 of their field goals were assisted and I would guess less than 10 turnovers, or maybe right at 10 given the press got them a few times there in middle of second half.

That is insane.

Reactions: RocknRollface

Agree. But requires more than some new assistant. Requires a cultural shift on Fran’s part. This is the B1G, not the Pac12. Defense and rebounding wins championships, with Michigan under Beilein maybe an exception as kind of an offense-first team. But man, Beilein can coach and he’s had some big time talent.

Reactions: Aleksei
Iowa clearly didn't play with much effort on D for most of the game.
Effort was not bad. The way Purdue moved the ball made it look like Iowa guys were slow, but it was a function of just how crazy-on-point Purdue executed. I’m telling you they played unbelievable all game. You have to give up something, and Iowa was going to let the ball find Purdue’s low-percentage guys late in the clock—which is what everybody does—but Purdue’s low-% guys made every one.

I’m not going to watch again but the 17-0 run was not bad defense on many possessions—in fact they forced tough shots, some late clock, that either went in or were put back or they got a three look off an offensive rebound.

When shit like this happens I always watch closely effort and togetherness, always curious the way teams handle adversity. Do they quit? Do they resort to bad habits? Do they stop talking on D? Do they get quiet and stop encouraging each other? Even down 30 with 8-10 minutes to go it looked like they were still trying to get their rotations, still competing as a group. I saw maybe two frustration plays, both by guys who I almost want to show some frustration—Joe T started to get into it with Purdue guys who didn’t like how physical he was on D, how aggressive he played through ball screens. Joe’s matchup sort of shoved him off him. Joe came down with the ball and just kind of wild kamikazee shit and turned it over. Program desperately needs his edge—can’t wait for his edge to be complimented by Jordan’s sort of cocksure calm. And Connor got frustrated towards the end and took an out of character shot on zero passes.

Anyways if anyone dares to watch that again I think the effort is better than watching live made it seem.

Reactions: papabeef
Relax Francis..... four games in ten days with a trip out to the East Coast mixed in, will take the legs out of even the best. It was just Purdue’s night. Save your bellyaching when we drop one at home.

Effort was not bad. The way Purdue moved the ball made it look like Iowa guys were slow, but it was a function of just how crazy-on-point Purdue executed. I’m telling you they played unbelievable all game. You have to give up something, and Iowa was going to let the ball find Purdue’s low-percentage guys late in the clock—which is what everybody does—but Purdue’s low-% guys made every one.

I’m not going to watch again but the 17-0 run was not bad defense on many possessions—in fact they forced tough shots, some late clock, that either went in or were put back or they got a three look off an offensive rebound.

When shit like this happens I always watch closely effort and togetherness, always curious the way teams handle adversity. Do they quit? Do they resort to bad habits? Do they stop talking on D? Do they get quiet and stop encouraging each other? Even down 30 with 8-10 minutes to go it looked like they were still trying to get their rotations, still competing as a group. I saw maybe two frustration plays, both by guys who I almost want to show some frustration—Joe T started to get into it with Purdue guys who didn’t like how physical he was on D, how aggressive he played through ball screens. Joe’s matchup sort of shoved him off him. Joe came down with the ball and just kind of wild kamikazee shit and turned it over. Program desperately needs his edge—can’t wait for his edge to be complimented by Jordan’s sort of cocksure calm. And Connor got frustrated towards the end and took an out of character shot on zero passes.

Anyways if anyone dares to watch that again I think the effort is better than watching live made it seem.

No I agree the first half was ok effort, besides making no effort to box out. They have to get something figured out with that. That primarily cost them the game because it allowed Purdue to get into that rythm in the first place.

I was specifically speaking to the alowing of 40 3 pt attempts.

Half of those were probably after Iowa had given up.

Reactions: Rudolph
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT