ADVERTISEMENT

Somewhat OT... Entire RAGBRAI staff bails on Register over Carson King issue

This is dumb....Kings 15 minutes were up a long time ago......…….let it go

Long time ago? He just got a gigantic ovation standing on the field at Kinnick 3 days ago.

Try to get the point. This isn't about Carson King; it's about irresponsible journalism. What the Rag did deserves consequences that will last long after people have forgotten about CK. Kudos to the AGBRAI people.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Register would not allow the director or staff to comment in any manner on any of numerous questions asked about the way the Register handled the Carson King story. When you get shut down by a newspaper from commenting to riders and other parties, that speaks volumes to where the Register is still at and how they haven’t learned a dang thing. Kudos to the director and staff. Looks like they are already up and running. Iowa’s Ride.

I think the Register learned a lesson. And they deserved it.
I hope other news outlets learned a lesson also.

This is dumb....Kings 15 minutes were up a long time ago......…….let it go
In my opinion, Carson King wasn't ever searching for "his 15 minutes". He made a goofy handmade sign about needing beer money, that ended up on National TV. 99.99% of those goofy signs go bye-bye immediately in any format you could think of (your brain, Footbook, Twatter, InstantPuddingGram, Snapshut, etc.).

All this kid did was turn it into a $3 Million dollar donation to a Hospital. This kid deserves a hell of a lot more than 15 minutes, and he damn sure deserves better than he got from the Des Moines Register.

Whatever good can happen to Carson King, he earned it. Why? Because he did the right thing when millions upon millions wouldn't have. That speaks volumes for me.

The whole thing with the RAGBRAI guys is really weird. Reading the directors comments and reasoning, it just doesn’t add up.

I think it may just be an excuse for these guys to branch off and cash in. Basically the opposite of what Carson seems like he’d do.

That’s just my read. I don’t know any more than any of you about the situation.

So the director and staff of the Registers Annual Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) have resigned to start their own new ride across Iowa in response to the Register's handling of the Carson King issue. Love it!!
Sounds to me like they are just looking to profit off the registers ragbrai community.

Sounds a lot more about money than it does "taking a stand" or "sticking it to the man".

I'm way too lazy to try and ride a bike across Iowa, and I don't like DMR...so I guess I don't really care :D

Reactions: David1979
The whole thing with the RAGBRAI guys is really weird. Reading the directors comments and reasoning, it just doesn’t add up.

I think it may just be an excuse for these guys to branch off and cash in. Basically the opposite of what Carson seems like he’d do.

Sounds like your math is right to me ;).

Reactions: David1979

Sounds to me like they are just looking to profit off the registers ragbrai community.

Sounds a lot more about money than it does "taking a stand" or "sticking it to the man".

I'm way too lazy to try and ride a bike across Iowa, and I don't like DMR...so I guess I don't really care :D
100% of the proceeds from Iowa's Ride are being donated to Iowa charities, so... no.

They've already stated that any money they raise would be donated to charity

Well it really wasn’t over King. It was over the fact the register was not letting them say anything about it if asked.

This is what I see too. They have been planning this for longer than a couple weeks.

So the director and staff of the Registers Annual Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) have resigned to start their own new ride across Iowa in response to the Register's handling of the Carson King issue. Love it!!
Good to see common sense folks taking a stand against the leftist media. They were irresponsible and intolerant. Still Carson King, his contributors and the ragbrai staff done the right thing.

Reactions: yrunvs
I think this may have been the straw that broke the camels back. They have a lot of support from the Agbrai community, I think they will do well. They were probably tired of the Registers shit and decided to leave.

****Do you really think 100% of the proceeds after salaries went to charity when the Register ran it?!! I bet not!!****

Reactions: hawkcub and yrunvs
I work with a woman who used to be at the Register and knows the RAGBRAI staffers. She said losing this TJ guy will be a big loss for RAGBRAI but she also said starting another bike ride - competing at the same time as RAGBRAI ... is just dumb and will never work. She said RAGBRAI folks are loyal and most are not going to jump ship ... Anywho, just her opinion ...

I work with a woman who used to be at the Register and knows the RAGBRAI staffers. She said losing this TJ guy will be a big loss for RAGBRAI but she also said starting another bike ride - competing at the same time as RAGBRAI ... is just dumb and will never work. She said RAGBRAI folks are loyal and most are not going to jump ship ... Anywho, just her opinion ...
Time will tell, but the riders were asking questions and the staff was unable to answer with complete honesty after being censored by a PR firm hired by The Rag.

Good to see common sense folks taking a stand against the leftist media. They were irresponsible and intolerant. Still Carson King, his contributors and the ragbrai staff done the right thing.
this isn't left and right as much as right and wrong. There's a good chance the defectors are also left-leaning, who knows, doesn't matter.

So they say.

From my understanding of vendors associated with the AGBRAI in it's current form in cities it stops in, there were very harsh requirements (cash) to be involved in it. Perhaps this new ride will be more "inclusive".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT