ADVERTISEMENT

Son's First PC Build - Advice/Comments Appreciated

I personally disliked the Corsair H100i. I thought it was too loud and the cooling was just okay. I like this a lot more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-CPU+Fans+&+Heatsinks-_-N82E16835103099&gclid=CNHmiJ6H_MUCFUo8gQodf7MAxA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would also get Windows 7 Pro x64 OEM

I have a Samsung EVO SSD, a Corsair bronze+ PSU, NZXT case, Corsair Vengence RAM )4x4 in my case) and MSI Twin Frozr videocard. They have all been running flawlessly for a couple years.

Thanks for the advice moral_victory. We'll take a look at your suggestions. Much appreciated.

My god I wish I could still game and get a custom build like I used too. Tech today is so awesome. Sadly I have to play adult and have a MacBook. Thinking of building a home rig for both gaming and TV streaming. Someday....

I'm curious what the total cost of that build is? Is it cheaper than just buying a Alienware gaming rig? If cost isn't an issue and just the experience of building a machine disregard the question.

For those needs, I'd probably bump up to an i7 and would go for the HGST 4TB over the WD 1TB. A recent review rated that HGST the most reliable by a large margin and if he is doing video editing and recording, he'll benefit from the extra space.

Fred-

Great question and one that I asked him about too. It appears that an Alienware rig along the same build would be more expensive.

He's really interested in doing it himself so that's cool with me. I really emphasized getting a gaming rig that would be good for a couple of years and that would be easy to upgrade.

I am not super duper tech savvy, more middle tier, but the process has been fun to go through with him.

He has a really good monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Kind of getting jealous thinking about the whole thing - haha.

Get him a full size case, not a mid atx. Also, go with the i7 processor, it really is nice when doing video editing.

I've built all my computers since about 2000, and newegg is the way to go for all the pieces. Just be sure whatever memory you get syncs up with the fsb speed on your proc.

Get him a full size case, not a mid atx. Also, go with the i7 processor, it really is nice when doing video editing.

I've built all my computers since about 2000, and newegg is the way to go for all the pieces. Just be sure whatever memory you get syncs up with the fsb speed on your proc.
Good point about the RAM. With those aims, he may be planning to overclock. If so, faster RAM might be a good idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT