ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, Libs... Trump is here to stay

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
It’s all coming together, fellow liberals and never-Trumpers: President Donald Trump this week said he wouldn’t have tapped Jeff Sessions as attorney general had he known that the Alabama senator was going to do the blindingly obvious right thing and recuse himself from the Russia investigation. Demonstrating yet again his ignorance of how the rule of law works, Trump told The New York Times that Sessions was “extremely unfair – and that’s a mild word – to the president.”

And last week Donald Trump Jr. confirmed for the world that his father's campaign was positively giddy about the prospect of colluding with Russia in 2016; also last week a pair of House Democrats introduced the first official articles of impeachment against Trump; it seems like I can hardly check Twitter without seeing a #25thAmendmentNow hashtag. With Robert Mueller hard at work and each week seeming to bring a new twist to the Trump scandals can removal from office be far behind?

Well yes, actually. It can be very far behind. For those of you itching to start a Trump-out-of-office countdown, I suggest setting it to 1,285 days – the amount of time before his term ends, on January 20, 2021. It is true that for a variety of reasons having to do with his behavior, his popularity, his lifestyle and his age, Trump seems less likely than any of his predecessors to serve a full four years (possibly excepting William Henry Harrison, whose never-ending, rain-drenched inaugural address is said to have left him with an eventually-fatal case of pneumonia); but that does not make a foreshortened term likely.

There are a five ways Trump can leave office, but the one that is most overwhelmingly likely is that he departs as have most of his predecessors, in an orderly transition of power at the end of his term(s).

The caveat of course is that changing circumstances can change circumstances. A smoking gun – whether a recording of Trump promising to return Alaska to Russia, his boasting on Twitter about grabbing someone's pussy (he's president so they let him do it) or an actual pistol with smoke billowing forth after he uses it to shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue – could dramatically shift the odds.

Even that sort of normal circumstances game-changer may not however: His GOP rank-and-file support shows little sign of dissipating despite his stunningly low national approval rating. And every time a Republican lawmaker expresses grave concern about some startling, new Trump transgression, they push the envelope of what would constitute going too far a bit further out; Richard Nixon had to resign after trying to get the FBI to quash an investigation, after all, while Trump just got a stern talking-to over the same. But I suspect a nontrivial number of GOP lawmakers, asked about such a scenario back in January, would have declared it a presidency-ending event for Trump.)

With those caveats, here are the five ways Donald Trump can leave office, in roughly ascending order of likelihood.

The 25th Amendment. Ratified in 1967, this addition to the Constitution provides a mechanism for at least temporarily removing an incapacitated president from office. Think post-stroke Woodrow Wilson or worse. According to its fourth section, if the vice-president and a majority of the Cabinet declare to Congress that the president is "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office," the veep becomes the acting president. That's simple enough but quickly becomes more complicated. As Brian Kalt, a Michigan State University law professor, wrote in The Wall Street Journal in May, "Section 4 is a great solution if the president is missing or comatose, but a terrible one when he is conscious and in full control of his Twitter account." You see the president can appeal to Congress his declaration of incapacity; it gets complicated but Congress then has three weeks to decide whether the president is fit for duty. Two-thirds of each chamber must agree with the incapacity decision to keep the president on the sidelines; and oh yeah there's no limit on how often he can appeal.

This has the makings of a political circus the likes of which would make people yearn for the relative normalcy of the Trump presidency. It would also be a cure potentially as toxic as the disease. As political scientist Jonathan Bernstein wrote in May, "the real chief complaint against Donald Trump is that he threatens U.S. democracy not (chiefly) by breaking laws, but by undermining the norms which are just as important to democratic governance as the laws and constitutional provisions." Given that, he went on, those norms must be observed and something like the 25th Amendment must be reserved for "Wilson-like cases where the president is really, truly incapacitated. While mental illness could qualify, the many armchair diagnoses we've seen of Trump simply do not clear the constitutional bar."

But there's a more practical reason this is a total nonstarter: Does anyone really believe that a majority of the Cabinet (this Cabinet) is likely to turn on him? Or that enough Republican lawmakers would defect that Congress would sustain the removal? If Trump's political situation deteriorated to that extent they'd just impeach him, which would be easier (because, for one thing, it has no appeals process).

(Continued)

Impeachment. Need I even stipulate that House Speaker Paul Ryan is not going to initiate Trump impeachment hearings, period? But let's suppose that the combination of the president's stubbornly low job approval numbers, incremental advances in the Russia scandal and a Republican base disillusioned over unified government producing zero significant legislative accomplishments combine to produce a 2018 Democratic wave big enough to flip the House. Democrats would immediately broaden the ongoing Trump investigations and perhaps launch a few more. Assuming they had the sense to deliberately build a case (rather than jump straight to impeachment in January 2019) you could have full-blown impeachment hearings by, say, the summer of 2019 with articles voted out that fall.

If Democrats hold all 25 Senate seats they're defending in 2018 and pick up the two Republican seats that are seen as at all vulnerable, that chamber would be evenly split. Removal from office would, in other words, require 17 Republicans to turn on Trump in an atmosphere of suffocating party polarization. Even if you assume that the articles of impeachment made a compelling case against the president, one could easily see GOP senators equivocating over whether removal was warranted; and they'd have an easy out: Given that at that point the presidential election would be roughly a year off they could punt in the name of deferring the removal decision to the voters.

Resignation. There are two basic subscenarios here – Trump being induced to quit his job or his doing it of his own accord.

The latter scenario is simple: President Short Attention Span, he of the wounded ego and thin skin, gets bored (or decides he's squeezed every financial opportunity from the office), declares America great again and hands the reins to Mike Pence.

The former version would require some sort of leverage at hand which would make holding on more painful than letting go. Trump has few traditional political pressure points: Having conducted a hostile take-over of the GOP he has no obligations or loyalty to the party; were a group of GOP graybeards to visit him in the Oval Office and plead with him to quit for the good of the country and/or the party he'd likely dismiss them as losers and tweet about their ungrateful betrayal. And for reasons already covered a Nixon-like scenario of resigning to avoid impeachment seems unlikely.

The wild card here is the investigation by Robert Mueller, the special counsel looking at the Russia scandal. Suppose he turns up enough evidence of wrongdoing by Trump and/or his family members to support a criminal case but not sufficiently crack monolithic partisan support (or at least opposition to removal from office); there's some debate about whether a sitting president can be indicted (and, for that matter, whether they can self-pardon) so the prospect of facing post-presidential criminal prosecution – or even an open-ended investigation which could inexorably tarnish the Trump brand – persuade him to use his much (self-) ballyhooed deal-making powers to ensure that a President Pence gives the Trumps a set of get-out-of-jail-free cards as a parting gift.

A wilder-card scenario would involve Congress doing something short of impeachment which would make the presidency intolerable for the businessman-in-chief: Getting serious about cracking down on his self-dealing, for example, or more broadly addressing what appear to be violations of the Constitution's emoluments clause; or maybe just compelling him to release his tax returns. Of course that too would require a substantial number of Republican defections in order to override a presumed Trump veto, making it an extreme long-shot.

Death. There's not much to say about this for reasons of good taste if nothing else. Could the strain of the job (or of his fury about real and perceived slights) prove debilitating for a 71-year-old famous for his junk food diet and exercise-phobia? Sure. (His legendary, dare I say mythical, physical fitness notwithstanding.) But there's little practical point in speculating about the odds of his meeting an unfortunate natural end so I place this whole category outside of the order of likelihood.

An unnatural end deserves less discussion: No American should hope for this outcome and I have great faith in the Secret Service's abilities to prevent it.

The full four … or eight. As I said at the top, given the obstacles to the other ways for Trump to exit office, by far the most likely outcome is that he is president until at least noon on January 20, 2021. And given the advantages of incumbency (yes I know he's unpopular but 54 percent of the country voted for someone else last year and yet we're stuck with him), there's a real possibility he'll get another four years.

None of this is to suggest that, to borrow a line from an old "Star Trek" villain, resistance is futile. Rather it underscores how important it is – and what a long fight it's likely to be.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2017-07-21/the-5-ways-donald-trumps-presidency-ends

That's a lot of words to convince the cons. They will never read them.
I can do it in one.

anigif_enhanced-6574-1393376497-2.gif

He might become so ineffective (One could argue he is already there), that we muddle along until 2019 when Kamala Harris is elected president. Don might just sit on the sidelines and do the ceremonial stuff he loves to do and let Pence do the real work.

Reactions: naturalmwa
He might become so ineffective (One could argue he is already there), that we muddle along until 2019 when Kamala Harris is elected president. Don might just sit on the sidelines and do the ceremonial stuff he loves to do and let Pence do the real work.

Is Willie Brown gonna be her campaign manager?!!! Lol lol lol

This was written by a liberal columnist, you moron.

I don't think there are many at all, aside from the usual nuts that occupy any party's fringe, that honestly think Trump is out prior to 2020. Politically speaking, it just would require an absolute bombshell to push republicans to that point (a la republicans and Nixon).

Reactions: naturalmwa
I don't think there are many at all, aside from the usual nuts that occupy any party's fringe, that honestly think Trump is out prior to 2020. Politically speaking, it just would require an absolute bombshell to push republicans to that point (a la republicans and Nixon).

Both houses of Congress were controlled by Democrats when the impeachment process was gearing up and Nixon resigned.

Very good chance that both houses will be controlled by the Dems in January of 2019.

I haven't studied the actual seats that are up for this election, but my sense is you're going to have 500 million Democrats somehow voting in this mid-term.

Both houses of Congress were controlled by Democrats when the impeachment process was gearing up and Nixon resigned.

Controlled yes, but not by the 2/3 majority needed in the Senate. It was only when enough republicans flipped that Nixon did resign.

I haven't studied the actual seats that are up for this election, but my sense is you're going to have 500 million Democrats somehow voting in this mid-term.

Right, because of the massive amount of voter fraud... That there's so much proof of... Because you heard it on Rush Limbaugh and a Trump tweet...

Reactions: dekhawk
Right, because of the massive amount of voter fraud... That there's so much proof of... Because you heard it on Rush Limbaugh and a Trump tweet...

I think you missed the point. Or maybe, I'll be nice, it was my fault. Democrats are going to be more energized than ever to turn out and vote. Meanwhile, many Republicans like myself are disgusted with the last 6 months of getting absolutely nothing done. Democrats are beyond pissed and will do whatever they can to ensure Republicans lose in 2018's elections. And yes, I do believe D's commit voter fraud, but that's not going to make shit of difference in 2018.

I think you missed the point. Or maybe, I'll be nice, it was my fault. Democrats are going to be more energized than ever to turn out and vote. Meanwhile, many Republicans like myself are disgusted with the last 6 months of getting absolutely nothing done. Democrats are beyond pissed and will do whatever they can to ensure Republicans lose in 2018's elections. And yes, I do believe D's commit voter fraud, but that's not going to make shit of difference in 2018.
It seems like they only arrest Republicans for voter fraud. Why is that?

Then I retract my snarky response.

I think you missed the point. Or maybe, I'll be nice, it was my fault. Democrats are going to be more energized than ever to turn out and vote. Meanwhile, many Republicans like myself are disgusted with the last 6 months of getting absolutely nothing done. Democrats are beyond pissed and will do whatever they can to ensure Republicans lose in 2018's elections. And yes, both R's & D's commit voter fraud, but that's not going to make shit of difference in 2018.
This is closer to reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT