ADVERTISEMENT

SouthEast Polk wrestling

mr12182

HR All-State
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2009
I see their coach is retiring. Is his replacement highly regarded and do you think the program will maintain its current level of success? TIA

As long as Jessman Smith keeps recruiting studs they will be fine.
Name one kid on last year or this years squad that’s recruited? Virtually everyone is longtime SEP kids. And I highly doubt Jessman went to Texas to recruit the Jesuroga’s.

Name one kid on last year or this years squad that’s recruited? Virtually everyone is longtime SEP kids. And I highly doubt Jessman went to Texas to recruit the Jesuroga’s.
Although SEP has benefited from kids moving in, they do a pretty good job at developing their average kids too. You always see a lot of them at weekend Freco tournaments.

Reactions: Cradle to da grave
Although SEP has benefited from kids moving in, they do a pretty good job at developing their average kids too. You always see a lot of them at weekend Freco tournaments.
I know most top schools in any sport land other top kids from other schools by a various reasons. Almost allof the SEP’s varsity team the past two seasons have been dang near life long SEP kids. And the results are still at the top.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I know most top schools in any sport land other top kids from other schools by a various reasons. Almost allof the SEP’s varsity team the past two seasons have been dang near life long SEP kids. And the results are still at the top.

Almost all...and dang near life long...except for the ones that aren't/weren't. And the last two years...except for the many years before that. You're right that many schools recruit--especially in 3A--but please top trying to say SEP doesn't.

Almost all...and dang near life long...except for the ones that aren't/weren't. And the last two years...except for the many years before that. You're right that many schools recruit--especially in 3A--but please top trying to say SEP doesn't.
I’m not saying that they haven’t had there fair share of transfers because they certainly have. I’m just stating that the current look the team last season and the next couple are mostly all home grown kids.

SEP does not recruit. Meaning they don't seek out talent. Talent comes to them. Now after they come to them they connect the dots, but they don't do anything against any IAHSAA rules, nor anything numerous other schools also do. Talent breeds interest. It is inevitable. Fort Dodge has had transfers. Bettendorf has had transfers. Valley has had transfers. Dowling has had transfers. Ankeny has had transfers. Ankeny Centennial has had transfers. I think I can stop there. To succeed you operate within the system you are given to the fullest extent you can. Just because they operate within it better than others doesn't mean they are cheaters.

SEP does not recruit. Meaning they don't seek out talent. Talent comes to them.

Lol. Stop. There’s much truth to what you said but the above part is straight up BS. And furthermore, other schools doing it doesn’t make it right.

Spoons, you can throw stones all you want, but when doing so back it up with some facts vs. hearsay. Right is whatever is within the rules. That's why they are the rules. I've seen how SEP handles their "recruits" first hand. They do not seek them out. They come to them. Parents, current/ex-wrestlers may "recruit", but coaches do not.

Last edited:
Reactions: WEH8ST8HAWK
Recruiting happens. Not like college recruiting but it certainly happens at the high school level. And SEP is guilty just like the many other programs mentioned above.

Spoons, you can throw stones all you want, but when doing so back it up with some facts vs. hearsay. Right is whatever is within the rules. That's why they are the rules. I've seen how SEP handles their "recruits" first hand. They do not seek them out. They come to them. Parents, current/ex-wrestlers may "recruit", but coaches do not.

I have also observed.

Rules and ethics aren't the same thing.

An observation from a veteran poster - Spoons and SPOONER are two different entities, in more ways than one.

Most of SEP recruiting is done by the parents but make no mistake, that coaching staff is fully on board if there is a sliver of a chance.

Take Lance Runyon for example. his parents and Devos parents get to be great friends and all of a sudden the Indianola room cant get Lance where he needs to be. Now parents are looking for a home in Altoona. Then Lance gets in the ear of Kolby Pritchard and his mom and they buy in too.

I mean look I get it if a kid literally has no resources around him but SEP didnt get Lance his state title his SR year. The weights cleared out and he was the best wrestler regardless of what singlet he put on that year.

SEP didnt make Lance's little brother any better either. Could have had same results at Indianola or Valley or Lincoln etc. These high school coaches are selling a myth for team titles. If a kid is going to be awesome in D1 the real coaching will be done once he is in that room full time.

Take Gilman and Cory Clarks comments from back in that summer when they first stepped foot in the room and against each other. Safe to say they learned more in those 2 months than the prior 18 years of coaching.

So speaking of transferring. I have senior son who is going to be a 120 pounder this year. We are seriously thinking of having him and my wife move to another state so he can wrestle his senior year. Does anyone have any suggestions of which school we should look at and how Iowa handles that sort of thing. I think my son is a D1 bubble guy. He wants to wrestle in college. He won a 2A (middle class) state championship 106 lbs and placed 5th in Illinois at 113 lbs. Does anyone know the rules for transferring into an Iowa school?

So speaking of transferring. I have senior son who is going to be a 120 pounder this year. We are seriously thinking of having him and my wife move to another state so he can wrestle his senior year. Does anyone have any suggestions of which school we should look at and how Iowa handles that sort of thing. I think my son is a D1 bubble guy. He wants to wrestle in college. He won a 2A (middle class) state championship 106 lbs and placed 5th in Illinois at 113 lbs. Does anyone know the rules for transferring into an Iowa school?

Iowa has a 90 day sit out rule for transfers to participate in varsity sports. However, if your son AND your wife legit move to Iowa, he can participate immediately. You/your new school district will have to apply for a waiver of the transfer rule, but as long as you rent an actual apartment or house where they both actually live and you will be fine.

If your new residence is a total joke/ruse, like Arland Bruce's "move" to Ankeny, you will be denied a waiver to the transfer rule and he will have to sit out the 90 days. (Bruce is an Iowa football recruit from Kansas)

Wrestling is an odd sport for transfers because of all the wrestling that goes on outside of the season. Guys from different schools are all mixed together in clinics and tournaments and they get to know each other that way.

Iowa has a 90 day sit out rule for transfers to participate in varsity sports. However, if your son AND your wife legit move to Iowa, he can participate immediately. You/your new school district will have to apply for a waiver of the transfer rule, but as long as you rent an actual apartment or house where they both actually live and you will be fine.

If your new residence is a total joke/ruse, like Arland Bruce's "move" to Ankeny, you will be denied a waiver to the transfer rule and he will have to sit out the 90 days. (Bruce is an Iowa football recruit from Kansas)
Yes, They would definitely move to an apt. or house for the semester. We live in central Illinois and we are not commuting and we are not having our son live by himself. My wife can work from home or in any office her company has because she works on national accounts and not local accounts. I run a business in town, therefore, I cannot move.
So do you have any schools or coaches that you would suggest we contact? We keep hoping things will change after the election and Illinois will open up, but there are no guarantees about that.

I suggest taking a look at the State meet results and finding a top school that graduated a kid in your son's weight class. The worst thing would be picking a school that had strong wrestlers at that weight and your boy couldn't get on the mat.

Yes, They would definitely move to an apt. or house for the semester. We live in central Illinois and we are not commuting and we are not having our son live by himself. My wife can work from home or in any office her company has because she works on national accounts and not local accounts. I run a business in town, therefore, I cannot move.
So do you have any schools or coaches that you would suggest we contact? We keep hoping things will change after the election and Illinois will open up, but there are no guarantees about that.
Davenport Assumption is a 2a Catholic school who tends to get Illinois studs frequently. Im sure Dan Knight at Bettendorf would be able to navigate around transfer rules too. There aren't many good teams in the southeast corner.

I believe if you don't both move you will have to file for divorce for immediate eligibility. You don't have to complete the divorce. Just show that you've filed. I believe that is why the KC player transferring to Ankeny that Spoons is referencing has been deemed ineligible thus far because his whole family didn't move.

Last edited:
I believe if you don't both move you will have to file for divorce. You don't have to complete the divorce. Just show that you've filed. I believe that is why the KC player transferring to Ankeny that Spoons is referencing has been deemed ineligible thus far because his whole family didn't move.
That's not correct.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
I believe if you don't both move you will have to file for divorce. You don't have to complete the divorce. Just show that you've filed. I believe that is why the KC player transferring to Ankeny that Spoons is referencing has been deemed ineligible thus far because his whole family didn't move.
I am not sure I want to give my wife any ideas like that. She has to smarten up sooner or later. :) Can anyone confirm this? It does not sound right to me, but I am not familiar with Iowa transfer rules.

Honestly, I would pick a school you are interested in and contact them. If it is any that have had transfers previously they will know. Also, I know for a fact that divorce was the case within the previous 8, or so years. Now I can't say that has changed in the meantime.

The state is cracking down this year because of move ins. It’s true this year u need to show divorce papers. Hasn’t happened before this year but there were a lot of families trying to transfer. Also assumption has go 120 pounder. Best of lucky but it’s hard to enroll into Iowa this year

I'm not getting the whole Arland Bruce thing. From what I understand, Arland and Mom moved to Ankeny but the two younger siblings stayed in Kansas. However, mom gave guardianship to an uncle. So what grounds is IHSAA using to deny his playing?

I'm not getting the whole Arland Bruce thing. From what I understand, Arland and Mom moved to Ankeny but the two younger siblings stayed in Kansas. However, mom gave guardianship to an uncle. So what grounds is IHSAA using to deny his playing?
My assumption is that since the whole family didn't move the State feels they will move directly back after the semester is over. Again, just my assumption.

I believe there are 8 different ways that you can become immediately eligible. I know a legal separation is one way. I dont know the others but believe one has something to do with a reported bullying/harassment case against the old school. Might be worth your time looking into all 8 ways since the other way would be sitting out 90 days and missing some of the season.

I would also look a little bit further like IC West or Lisbon. IC West just had a couple of guys commit to Oregon State and SDSU and a grad from last year that went to Harvard. Their coach is former NCAA champ Nate Moore who will be in his third year. Plus, your son would have a guy like Garvin (returning jr state champ) near his weight. He could also roll with Eastern Iowa Wrestling Club guys which has some of those Lisbon dudes. It's an extra 50 miles might be worth it.

I would also look a little bit further like IC West or Lisbon. IC West just had a couple of guys commit to Oregon State and SDSU and a grad from last year that went to Harvard. Their coach is former NCAA champ Nate Moore who will be in his third year. Plus, your son would have a guy like Garvin (returning jr state champ) near his weight. He could also roll with Eastern Iowa Wrestling Club guys which has some of those Lisbon dudes. It's an extra 50 miles might be worth it.
Nate Moore wasn't a Ncaa Champ his cousin Cliff Moore was

ADVERTISEMENT