ADVERTISEMENT

SouthEast Polk wrestling

I would also look a little bit further like IC West or Lisbon. IC West just had a couple of guys commit to Oregon State and SDSU and a grad from last year that went to Harvard. Their coach is former NCAA champ Nate Moore who will be in his third year. Plus, your son would have a guy like Garvin (returning jr state champ) near his weight. He could also roll with Eastern Iowa Wrestling Club guys which has some of those Lisbon dudes. It's an extra 50 miles might be worth it.
Thanks.

I would also look a little bit further like IC West or Lisbon. IC West just had a couple of guys commit to Oregon State and SDSU and a grad from last year that went to Harvard. Their coach is former NCAA champ Nate Moore who will be in his third year. Plus, your son would have a guy like Garvin (returning jr state champ) near his weight. He could also roll with Eastern Iowa Wrestling Club guys which has some of those Lisbon dudes. It's an extra 50 miles might be worth it.
We definitely wanted Nate Moore to be an NCAA Champion, but it wasn't in the cards. Hope he is doing well and enjoys his Coaching gig.

Reactions: IAChief32
There are A LOT of quality programs in Iowa which have great coaching, partners and affiliations with clubs. ICW is not the only one. SEP does. Waverly Shell Rock does. And there are many more.

I would be a little leery of SEP right now simply due to the change of leadership. I don't care what anyone says when there is a head coaching change a program will change. It may not be in this first year (could be) but over time it will change for certain. Look at any great program after the head coach leaves. Change. Sometimes for the better but more times than not it is for the worse.

So speaking of transferring. I have senior son who is going to be a 120 pounder this year. We are seriously thinking of having him and my wife move to another state so he can wrestle his senior year. Does anyone have any suggestions of which school we should look at and how Iowa handles that sort of thing. I think my son is a D1 bubble guy. He wants to wrestle in college. He won a 2A (middle class) state championship 106 lbs and placed 5th in Illinois at 113 lbs. Does anyone know the rules for transferring into an Iowa school?
Call Brad Smith at Lisbon. My son and I moved to Lisbon just before he started high school (for reasons other than sports). He wasn't going to wrestling in High School because he had always focused on football and baseball. Wrestling ended up being his favorite sport by his senior year due to the coaching staff at Lisbon. They run the room like a college room. Brad is going to go down as one of the top coaches in Iowa history, and his coaching staff is awesome. I think your son would leave there with an even greater passion for wrestling. It's also a community that will treat your son like he grew up there. We didn't know anyone in the community prior to moving. My son just bought a home there, and without hesitation considers Lisbon home.

Reactions: IAChief32
Call Brad Smith at Lisbon. My son and I moved to Lisbon just before he started high school (for reasons other than sports). He wasn't going to wrestling in High School because he had always focused on football and baseball. Wrestling ended up being his favorite sport by his senior year due to the coaching staff at Lisbon. They run the room like a college room. Brad is going to go down as one of the top coaches in Iowa history, and his coaching staff is awesome. I think your son would leave there with an even greater passion for wrestling. It's also a community that will treat your son like he grew up there. We didn't know anyone in the community prior to moving. My son just bought a home there, and without hesitation considers Lisbon home.
Thanks. I really do not want to go somewhere that I will have to knock a quality kid out of the line up. If a kid has worked hard and paid his dues, I do not want my son coming in and knocking him out of a spot. Not that I know if that would be the case at Lisbon - I am just stating something. It will take a bit more research to see what is a good fit. I appreciate the insight.

The state is cracking down this year because of move ins. It’s true this year u need to show divorce papers. Hasn’t happened before this year but there were a lot of families trying to transfer. Also assumption has go 120 pounder. Best of lucky but it’s hard to enroll into Iowa this year

As evidenced by the Rubley kid playing in WDSM, divorce papers aren't required.

I believe if you don't both move you will have to file for divorce for immediate eligibility. You don't have to complete the divorce. Just show that you've filed. I believe that is why the KC player transferring to Ankeny that Spoons is referencing has been deemed ineligible thus far because his whole family didn't move.

Their Iowa residency is an obvious sham. He's crashing in a teammate's spare bedroom. She's not even truly living here. It's a total joke.

Thanks. I really do not want to go somewhere that I will have to knock a quality kid out of the line up. If a kid has worked hard and paid his dues, I do not want my son coming in and knocking him out of a spot. Not that I know if that would be the case at Lisbon - I am just stating something. It will take a bit more research to see what is a good fit. I appreciate the insight.
That's very commendable. I have no idea what Lisbon has around your son's weight. He will be displacing someone regardless of school, if he's better. I would call the coaches and see which ones give you a straight story on their projected line up around your son's weight.

That's very commendable. I have no idea what Lisbon has around your son's weight. He will be displacing someone regardless of school, if he's better. I would call the coaches and see which ones give you a straight story on their projected line up around your son's weight.
106-Happel DNP
113- Siebrect 5th
120-Paez-Champ
All these dudes are back. I imagine they bump up depending on growth spurts.

I believe if you don't both move you will have to file for divorce for immediate eligibility. You don't have to complete the divorce. Just show that you've filed. I believe that is why the KC player transferring to Ankeny that Spoons is referencing has been deemed ineligible thus far because his whole family didn't move.

We got caught, I guess, saying my kid lived with my mothers parents because we didn’t get along. He was going to have to sit out, but we won that battle. He didn’t like the school anyway so he went back to his old school. They’ll do checks on you if your local, but I wouldn’t worry about if I were the OP.

Thanks again. In a perfect world it all be a win win situation.

Spoons, take a read here and let me know how you disputed the divorce point? The whole family moved. Point was if the whole family doesn't move divorce proceedings have to be filed. Seems the IAHSAA is cracking down.

I suggest taking a look at the State meet results and finding a top school that graduated a kid in your son's weight class. The worst thing would be picking a school that had strong wrestlers at that weight and your boy couldn't get on the mat.
I thought you were against these types of transfers?

ADVERTISEMENT